Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Who guard the guards is in full action here. Nobody tell the scary boss of the branch of the kgb that they need to check on them to see if they are compromised, because it's his job.

While he was with the MoI? Absolutely. But then one day he came out and said "fuck this job, it's not what I imagined it to be, I'm going to teach some kids from now on". Do you think he was just allowed to leave?

You cannot force ascension.
If he says he lost his way, you can accept it at face value and retain his services. Or he breaks through to White with how much he hates the system in mind.

I wasn't talking about forcing him to stay on the way. I was talking about knowing if he really broke it or is just unwilling to take last steps.

So, time to talk some more about imaginary politics! This time about the Bai and the Imperial House.

First off, while I would say that the pressure is lessening on the Bai due to their recent alliance with the Cai (and possibly the Xuan), it is by no means light or insubstantial. There is some serious pressure by the Imperial House to keep the Bai in check. First off, we know that Meizhen's presence at the Argent Sect is a concession by the Bai to the Imperial House. Here is the quote:
"Yes," replied Bai. "As you are no doubt aware, my family is not well liked for a number of reasons. Suffice to say that many look upon the rich hills and lakes of my homeland with greedy eyes, in addition to… other reasons best not spoken in a public street," she continued considering, turning narrowed eyes to a girl who had been slow to move out of their way. "My presence here is actually a… concession, made by my clan in order to increase unity between the provinces," the sneer on her lips told what she thought of that. "Obviously the disciples from the scavenger clans around us have taken it as a chance to strike at us. I doubt my cousins are faring better in the sects they have been sent too."
Emphasis added.

Now, it doesn't explicitly say that it was a concession to the Imperial House, but no other ducal clan would have the ability to apply such pressure to the Bai and the Great Sects are intrinsically tied to the Imperial House. It can be inferred then that the Imperial House put pressure on the Bai to send Meizhen, and her other cousins, to various Great Sects. Now Meizhen says that this is "to increase unity between the province" but with the new found knowledge of the Great Sect's relationship to the Imperial Throne, other reasons quickly come to light.

First, young Bai are in bastions of Imperial power, where they have powerful individuals who can kill them with little to no effort looking out for them. Which strikes me as incredibly close to a hostage situation. I'm going to call it a pseudo hostage situation because the Bai in question can leave the Sect and go back to the clan after their term... but until then they can be easily taken hostage by Imperial Forces. If I can see the possibility, then other's are going to see the possibility and this talk about increasing unity between provinces is simply a valuable smoke screen with plausible deniability.

Like, I doubt that other clans were forced to send their young to various great sects, outside of their provinces, so that the Empire can have increased unity between the provinces. It seems like only the Bai were forced to do that, and if that is the case then it is not so much about increasing unity but rather creating a potential hostage situation. And the Bai will pretty much hate that because while they are competitive against each other, they hate letting outsiders have power over them.

This also brings into light Meizhen's implications that the Great Sects won't be around for much longer in their current form. Knowing what we know now, there is an obvious progression here, from a political angle. With the failure of the Ministry of Integrity to get a Prism/white in office, the Imperial power is waning. However, there is still a large set of institutions that express the Imperial power over entire areas, and those are the Great Sects. Which means for anyone wishing to diminish the power of the Imperial House even further, the next step is breaking the connection between the Great Sects and the Imperial House, or subverting that connection.

So now people are playing the old game of wearing down the power that a faction has built up. Overall, I see the political landscape pushing back towards the status quo that existed before Emperor Si and Emperor An. But in order to do that, the power of the Great Sects need to be curtailed.

, I feel that there will be simpler, less costly means of manipulating how our enemies act towards us.

If you're thinking of being able to get taunts or something similar from Zhengui, I rather doubt it. Our opponents aren't unthinking individuals and can actually plan around our abilities. Any sort of taunt or thrall similar to what is being described will almost certainly have to come from some sort of emotion manipulation or similar.

The only other instances of 'taunts' we've seen were Kang Zihao and the barbarian with the skin-shield in Dark Dreams. No idea what Kang does, we've never seen it except as 'also Meizhen can't get past the guy to smack Sun'. But he's a bodyguard. What Meizhen was struggling with back then could have been a set of longlasting roots or some other kind of CC, rather than a taunt. Meanwhile the barbarian's skin-shield was so filthy and disgusting to Xiulan after he activated his technique (or it as a talisman?) that she immediately tried to murder him, instead of the enemy support. So that's emotion manipulation.

Personally I think taunts sort of inherently have to be mentally-controlling effects, because...they're...mentally controlling. Unless you mean 'simpler, less costly' ways like 'being a squishy support instead of being a tanky support', but that's obviously not what you mean.

If you're thinking of being able to get taunts or something similar from Zhengui, I rather doubt it. Our opponents aren't unthinking individuals and can actually plan around our abilities. Any sort of taunt or thrall similar to what is being described will almost certainly have to come from some sort of emotion manipulation or similar.
The only other instances of 'taunts' we've seen were Kang Zihao and the barbarian with the skin-shield in Dark Dreams. No idea what Kang does, we've never seen it except as 'also Meizhen can't get past the guy to smack Sun'. But he's a bodyguard. What Meizhen was struggling with back then could have been a set of longlasting roots or some other kind of CC, rather than a taunt. Meanwhile the barbarian's skin-shield was so filthy and disgusting to Xiulan after he activated his technique (or it as a talisman?) that she immediately tried to murder him, instead of the enemy support. So that's emotion manipulation.

Personally I think taunts sort of inherently have to be mentally-controlling effects, because...they're...mentally controlling. Unless you mean 'simpler, less costly' ways like 'being a squishy support instead of being a tanky support', but that's obviously not what you mean.
I'm going to answer both of these at the same time because they both seem to stem from the same misconception. I wasn't talking about taunts.

I was specifically addressing a brand of emotional manipulation that would be required to change a foe to a friend. Presumably to manipulate what actions our foes take towards us. If we specifically want a taunt to control our opponent's actions, then there is a much simpler and easier way for us to do that, it's called Covetous Wraith. Already prepackaged for us and ready to go, we just need to learn it!

So that, right there, is a simpler and less costly method of manipulating our opponents' actions than either going out and finding an art that does the sort of high-level emotion manipulation to create a friend from a foe or taking the time to create one.

No, what I expect from Zhengui is more in the realm of Crowd Control effects. He already has root binds, and I fully expect him to further develop his ability to create and generate plant life to the point where he can create obstacles that need to be overcome, which can direct opponents towards him. Ultimately, I believe he will develop a method to bring food to him, as he will eventually become too large to make going towards the food feasible. I don't know what form this delivery system will take, but it could likely be used against actual opponents to bring them closer to him.

There are other ways that we have already which manipulate the actions our foes take. Perception gates and stealth is one of them, making it difficult for our opponent to find us which means he is wasting time searching when he could simply be hitting us. PLR's Lunatic Whirl is another method we have of controlling an opponent's actions, by forcing them to take a very specific action until they break free. Both of these methods are ways we have of manipulating an opponent's actions that we currently have and do not require costly and time-consuming art research into a specific brand of emotional manipulation.

Last edited:
I can't remember where/who it was, but I'm pretty sure someone in-quest mentioned political ill-will against the Bai falling in recent years?
It sounded like it was more a matter of the amount of time between now and the Sun breaking off, as well as I imagine the relative failure of the Great Sects to become peers to the Ducal clans.

If anything Bai Meilins execution could have been a (potentially misguided) attempt at reversing that decline in ill-will.

I wasn't talking about forcing him to stay on the way. I was talking about knowing if he really broke it or is just unwilling to take last steps.
I'm talking about unwilling being wholly a subset of unable. A cultivator unwilling to progress simply cannot breakthrough, and theres no real way to tell the difference between a Heart Demon, and other kinds of obstacle without having enough advantage to read them like a book AND have a similar enough Way to read what they are doing.

Losing your Way or getting a Way which stalls your growth path shouldn't be that rare.
So, time to talk some more about imaginary politics! This time about the Bai and the Imperial House.

First off, while I would say that the pressure is lessening on the Bai due to their recent alliance with the Cai (and possibly the Xuan), it is by no means light or insubstantial. There is some serious pressure by the Imperial House to keep the Bai in check. First off, we know that Meizhen's presence at the Argent Sect is a concession by the Bai to the Imperial House. Here is the quote:

Emphasis added.

Now, it doesn't explicitly say that it was a concession to the Imperial House, but no other ducal clan would have the ability to apply such pressure to the Bai and the Great Sects are intrinsically tied to the Imperial House. It can be inferred then that the Imperial House put pressure on the Bai to send Meizhen, and her other cousins, to various Great Sects. Now Meizhen says that this is "to increase unity between the province" but with the new found knowledge of the Great Sect's relationship to the Imperial Throne, other reasons quickly come to light.

First, young Bai are in bastions of Imperial power, where they have powerful individuals who can kill them with little to no effort looking out for them. Which strikes me as incredibly close to a hostage situation. I'm going to call it a pseudo hostage situation because the Bai in question can leave the Sect and go back to the clan after their term... but until then they can be easily taken hostage by Imperial Forces. If I can see the possibility, then other's are going to see the possibility and this talk about increasing unity between provinces is simply a valuable smoke screen with plausible deniability.

Like, I doubt that other clans were forced to send their young to various great sects, outside of their provinces, so that the Empire can have increased unity between the provinces. It seems like only the Bai were forced to do that, and if that is the case then it is not so much about increasing unity but rather creating a potential hostage situation. And the Bai will pretty much hate that because while they are competitive against each other, they hate letting outsiders have power over them.

This also brings into light Meizhen's implications that the Great Sects won't be around for much longer in their current form. Knowing what we know now, there is an obvious progression here, from a political angle. With the failure of the Ministry of Integrity to get a Prism/white in office, the Imperial power is waning. However, there is still a large set of institutions that express the Imperial power over entire areas, and those are the Great Sects. Which means for anyone wishing to diminish the power of the Imperial House even further, the next step is breaking the connection between the Great Sects and the Imperial House, or subverting that connection.

So now people are playing the old game of wearing down the power that a faction has built up. Overall, I see the political landscape pushing back towards the status quo that existed before Emperor Si and Emperor An. But in order to do that, the power of the Great Sects need to be curtailed.
I'd note that it's already a hostage situation. The surviving founding clans all have enough power to destroy themselves and the Empire via Sublime Ancestors...and probably so does the Imperial Throne itself.

In that event, sending their heirs to the Sects is not quite a hostage situation so much as a descalation hostage situation. They give the central authority leverage beneath the scale of "kill 10% of the Empire", which is useful for things like negotiating trade, taxation, and such lower scale issues where you cannot reasonably bring "if you don't I will drown the empire" into the debate.

Which means the Empire can do things like "for the benefit of your daughter in the Argent Sect, please lower trade barriers with the Xuan".
Which in turn gives the Bais counter-leverage in the future of "if you don't ban the transport of Jungle drugs through Bai territory there will be trade sanctions.", which is reasonable and proportionate, instead of "if you don't ban the transport of Jungle drugs through Bai territory we will wake up Grandmother Snek.", which is not.

All that goes into empire building.

While he was with the MoI? Absolutely. But then one day he came out and said "fuck this job, it's not what I imagined it to be, I'm going to teach some kids from now on". Do you think he was just allowed to leave?

Well, yes. Who would be crazy enough to make the prism that is rebuilding his way angry at the empire ? Especially when that prism is incredibly good at hiding, sabotage and generally subverting other people ?

Well, yes. Who would be crazy enough to make the prism that is rebuilding his way angry at the empire ? Especially when that prism is incredibly good at hiding, sabotage and generally subverting other people ?

And what if his troubles were caused by, say, a subtle poison in his system, courtesy of Bai? Or some other thing? You don't let key pieces out of equation without checking what's wrong first. Jiao is good, but his not invincible.

And what if his troubles were caused by, say, a subtle poison in his system, courtesy of Bai? Or some other thing? You don't let key pieces out of equation without checking what's wrong first. Jiao is good, but his not invincible.

Because that's incredibly unlikely a white (because that would be the level needed to mind control a prism that much) managed to subdue him without anyone seeing anything. And moreover even if they could subvert him, why make him loose his job at the inquisition ? That would run counter to any logical goal.

And also even the Bai's wouldn't win anything as when he would break free (yes, when. He is a prism kgb equivalent, he will break free from any mind control), he would hate the Bai and try to murder them. And he very well could succeed at hurting them significantly.

In short, in one condition the empire make a very dangerous ennemy, in the other they gain nothing and it's very unlikely.

People don't get tortured or questionned for quitting the CIA, FSB or whatever either. Because that's a good way to undermine your agency.

Because that's incredibly unlikely a white (because that would be the level needed to mind control a prism that much) managed to subdue him without anyone seeing anything. And moreover even if they could subvert him, why make him loose his job at the inquisition ? That would run counter to any logical goal.

And also even the Bai's wouldn't win anything as when he would break free (yes, when. He is a prism kgb equivalent, he will break free from any mind control), he would hate the Bai and try to murder them. And he very well could succeed at hurting them significantly.

I'm not sure where you see mind control? Or that it has to be continuous to do the damage? It can just introduce a bit of self doubt once, everything else cultivator ruins on their own.

People don't get tortured or questionned for quitting the CIA, FSB or whatever either. Because that's a good way to undermine your agency.

Tortured? I guess my word could be interpreted that way, but that's not what I meant. Nor do I think it's that hard to see whether the cultivator can reach White or not. Afterall, everyone seems to believe that Bai Suzhen can and I don't think it's because she herself thinks so, there must be easier ways to tell. Maybe you need 20 perception arts to see it during a social encounter, I don't dispute that, but it's far from impossible and very likely to happen when someone as important as Jiao suddenly quits the race.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you see mind control? Or that it has to be continuous to do the damage? It can just introduce a bit of self doubt once, everything else cultivator ruins on their own.

Because if self doubt broke their Way, their Way is broken and no amount of checkkng would change that. I am not entirely sure what you are trying to say here to be honest.

Tortured? I guess my word could be interpreted that way, but that's not what I meant. Nor do I think it's that hard to see whether the cultivator can reach White or not. Afterall, everyone seems to believe that Bai Suzhen can and I don't think it's because she herself thinks so, there must be easier ways to tell. Maybe you need 20 perception arts to see it during a social encounter, I don't dispute that, but it's far from impossible and very likely to happen when someone as important as Jiao suddenly quits the race.

If they are late/peak prism, yeah people expect them to become white. That was what the 50 year things was. Once again I am not sure what you try to convey here.

You know, when people in thread started arguing about using MotV in our challenge, i got curious. How much MotV really gives us? Quite a lot little bonuses apparently.
First of all - what MotV really do:
Mist of the Vale: C
Duration: Persistent/Short
Playing the first notes of the melancholy melody, the musician causes a dark mist to roll forth from their instrument. The mist is filled with deceptive shadows and sounds, casting darkness over all within. The mist spreads to cover the range Close to the musician and may be extended out to Very Far, at the cost increasing the cost to the technique by 10 for each increment. The user may extend immunity too and benefits from the mist to up to ten allies, increasing cost by 2 for each one.

Within the mist, foes find their senses confused, attacks against the musician or their allies often strike at phantoms, and seeking to escape the mist or advance upon the musician often result in meandering travelers reminiscent of the composers own wandering. In their confused state, they become vulnerable to the terrors which can reside in Vales far from civilization.
Ok, forget for a second about debuff part that we almost sure wouldn't work on swordboi. What it still gives us?
Hm, it 'casting darkness over all within'. So Darkness environmental effect to which we have immunity, not sure for our opponent or his talisman, does it nullify effect of Darcness or just boost his Perception? We didn't know, so 50/50 that it count.
Total Darkness: -10 to Hit and Avoid
Total Darkness:
Enemy Physical Hit -10
Enemy Spiritual Hit -10
Enemy Physical Avoid -10
Enemy Spiritual Avoid -10

Moving on, as stated in winning vote we using MotV to boost GSD one of SCS Techs. So lets see all bonuses in Darkness from SCS and GSD:
Spoiler: Sable Crescent Step
Passive Effects
+15 bonus to Speed
+10 bonus to initiative
+10 bonus to Stealth
Speed Bonus increases by 5 in Low Light or Darkness
Stealth bonus increases by 5 in darkness

+10 bonus to Hit and Penetration if making the opening attack of a combat
+10 bonus to Hit against Unaware or Unready targets
+5 bonus to Avoid in environments which allow for stealth
-10 penalty applied to all attempts to track the user, penalty increases -40 if attempt is made without an activated technique. Permanent

Grinning Crescent Dancer: B rank
Duration: Long
Calling upon the favor of the Grinning Moon, and using their skill at manipulating dark qi, the user's becomes an indistinct phantom, a flicker of shadow dancing between lights. Greatly enhances the dancers ability to avoid attacks and stay ahead of foes. The deeper the darkness grows the quicker their reactions and movement become. No mundane obstacle may block the movement of the Dancer, so long as they can perceive their destination, and entrapping them through wholly physical means becomes impossible.
So, from SCS passives we have:
Speed +5
Stealth +5

If our Mist count as 'environments which allow for stealth' (that i am 90% sure because LQ often used it as such) then we also have
Physical Avoid +5
Spiritual Avoid +5

And from GSD 'The deeper the darkness grows the quicker their reactions and movement become' we have some Indeterminate bonus to Initiative and Speed that depends on level of darkness.
Initiative + ?
Speed + ?

And at last we have bonus from two items in our equipment:
Swaying Twilight Gown:

A many layered gown of water smooth black silk with prominent white hems and a dark blue mantle split down the center like a pair of wings and embroidered with patterns of white lotus flowers. It's train trails behind the wearer, never touching the base earth. A finely painted silk panel is affixed to the front, displaying curling vines and white petaled azalea flowers, spotted with red like drops of blood. Made by an apprentice of the Duchess Cai, and infused with a thread from the spirit Liming, it's craftsmanship is near unparalleled, though its potential still sleeps. +20 to Physical and Spiritual Armor

-5 to cost of Darkness and Water Arts. +5 to Armor in low light and darkness +5 to speech and stealth tests.
Fleeting Moonlight Shawl

It's hard to tell the color of this thin gossamer fabric. From some angles it seems like a pale white and from others a shiny black. Gives a +5 bonus to Hit with Dark and Moon Arts. Perception checks against the wearer have a penalty of 5 in low light or darkness.
Swaying Twilight Gown:
Physical Armor +5
Spiritual Armor +5

Fleeting Moonlight Shawl:
Enemy Perception -5

Now to summary all of this:
-Enemy Perception -? (Actual MotV debuff that we not sure would work)
-Enemy Physical Hit -10, Enemy Spiritual Hit -10, Enemy Physical Avoid -10, Enemy Spiritual Avoid -10 (Effects of Total Darkness environmental effect, may work or may not), Enemy Perception -5
-Speed +5, Stealth +5, Physical Avoid +5, Spiritual Avoid +5, Initiative + ?, Speed + ?, Physical Armor +5, Spiritual Armor +5

A lot of little bonuses.
Now the actual arguing in thread was that we didn't need MotV, just Twilight Beauty one of the abilities of our Gown that 'reduces light levels to low within Very Close range'.
Comparing effects of MotV to Twilight Beauty i assumed that Low Light (environmental effect that gives -5 to Hit and Avoid) isn't enough for bonuses of 'environments which allow for stealth' and that activating Twilight Beauty doesn't count as action.

Twilight Beaty
+Lower Cost (F)
+Saved Attack Action
-Smaller bonus to Initiative and Speed from GCD (Low Light)
-Smaller maluses from environmental effect (-5 to Hit and Avoid)
-Smaller Range (Very Close)
MotV
+C Rank Debuff (may or may not still work on swordboi, greater chances with his bird)
+Bigger bonus to Initiative and Speed from GCD (Total Darkness)
+Bigger maluses from environmental effect (-10 to Hit and Avoid)
+Avoid bonus from SCS (+5)
Bigger Range (Close)
-Higher Cost (C, but somewhat lower because of lowering cost bonuses)

Hm, we actually didn't win that much from activating MotV over Twilight Beauty, especially considering how much value has every Action in Combat. From what i see worthiness of MotV action here depends on two things mostly depends on two things:
1. How much swordboi actually prepared to MotV debuff, because all we have now is speculations (compelling ones but still)?
2. Does he has immunity to Low Light and Darkness?
3. How big our darkness level dependant bonuses from GSD?
What do you think?

P.S.: I am actually a little surprised at how many small bonuses LQ has from Low Light and Darkness (and don't forget maluses to enemy), good to know.:cool:

Last edited:
"My presence here is actually a… concession, made by my clan in order to increase unity between the provinces," the sneer on her lips told what she thought of that. "Obviously the disciples from the scavenger clans around us have taken it as a chance to strike at us. I doubt my cousins are faring better in the sects they have been sent too."

Emphasis added.

Alternatively – or even in addition – the purpose of this exercise in "increasing unity between the provinces" may be… to increase unity between the provinces.

As in, "seriously, let your kids get out of the house and talk to people once in a while, before they become a generation of bitter, creepy shut-ins who feel only paranoid spite toward the outside world."

Meizhen thinks (or thought) that having to leave her house was purely a sinister enemy plot. But Meizhen is not an omniscient or unbiased source. She is, or at least was, a bitter teenager angry about having to leave the house and socialize with people instead of brooding over a book about the unfairness of the world.

Sure, it's not impossible some of the Bai's rivals pushed this, hoping for a chance to score off them. But there are also plenty of non-sinister reasons that the Bai's allies and potential allies would like to see the next generation of Bai leaders not get raised exclusively in a hothouse of bitterness and suspicion. Meizhen saw the worst in it, sure. Because she was raised in a hothouse of bitterness and suspicion up to that point.

The thing is, from what we've seen the experience really has been healthy for Meizhen and for the Bai as a whole. Meizhen's made friends! She's made allies! She's gotten to know people outside her own family and formed actual human connections with them! She's gotten personally stronger through cooperation and resource sharing! She's advanced the prestige of her house! One of her school friendships has already formed a strategic alliance that could shift the course of the empire!

Meizhen getting out of the house for a while has been great for her and for her family, exactly as advertised. It has increased unity. It's improved diplomatic prospects between the Bai and the many parties in the empire who could benefit from cooperation with a strong Bai clan with friendly ties to the outside world. Meanwhile, their rivals have gotten their teeth kicked in repeatedly. Sending Meizhen to boarding school has had all the benefits that the people pushing the idea claimed it would.

If it was enemy action, it was crappy enemy action. Their actual enemies like the Sun would likely have benefited a lot more from letting the Bai stay bitter isolationists slowly turning into Xianxia North Korea. It's the Bai and their potential allies who have benefited from sending Meizhen and her peers* out to get some air and meet people.

Given that this was the exact reason stated for doing it, it's not a stretch to think some of the pressure to socialize their kids came from their allies.

And I think if you asked Meizhen today, she might have a very different view on the idea than she did back in early year one. Nowadays, Meizhen isn't a bitter loner with no friends – instead she's actively promoting The Power of Friendship to her cute little apprentice snek. She's having tea and friendly conversation with influential nobility from across the empire. She's eyeing a position in her house's foreign relations service. I think if you asked Meizhen now about sending more Bai kids out to other sects, she might say "it's uncomfortable and sometimes challenging, but wow it can be worth it. We should do this more."

*Admittedly, we don't know how it's gone for the other Bai kids in other sects. I do expect there's a range of experiences, with some doing well and some doing poorly, and Meizhen's experience being very near the top. Though also remember, most sect years don't have a Sun Liling either. A more social Bai scion's often going to be the Big Man On Campus freshman year just by dint of their rank and their personal strength, and even the less socially adept ones usually won't have half as much to worry about in terms of overt hostile action as Meizhen did. Overall, I expect that sending their kids out would be a net positive for relations even discounting Meizhen as an outlier.

Last edited:
Turn 3: Arc 3-3
"Begin!"

As the Elder's voice rang out and his hand chopped down, the field exploded into motion.

Ling Qi raised her flute to her lips, and the first notes began to ring out, releasing the first strands of thick and cloying mist, but not fast enough. Her opponent, Liang He, took a single step and blurred. There was a sharp crack as, in a straight line, the field split open like it had been carved through by a giant's knife, sending an explosion of dirt and rock outward.

Feeling a thrill of alarm and excitement, Ling Qi flooded her limbs with vital qi, activating her Deepwood Vitality technique just in time for the gleaming emerald light to intercept the diagonal slash that would have taken her full across the chest. Even through her defensive qi she felt the impact, and used it's momentum to push her leap backward, sparing herself a wound as her technique shattered. A fraction of an instant later, a streak of rainbow light caught her eye and she twisted to the side, mostly avoiding the hiltless blade that carved through the air, glancing off the dark silk of her gown in a shower of sparking qi.

Yet, though she could feel a spirit of burning skies resolving already, thrumming with a heated joy for battle, he had failed to stop her. Even as she dodged, she had never stopped playing. Her mist spread hungrily drinking in the warm afternoon sunlight and casting the field in shadow, swiftly engulfing her opponent in the time it took him to bring his sword back up into a guard position. Her own sword shot out in a spiralling flight, singing a ghostly echo of her melody, and he batted it aside as it's blade reached for his heart. Ling Qi could feel the wispy strands of qi that clung to his sword and his hands though, ready to be strummed when the time was right.

Then a shrieking cry rang in her ears, echoing and reverberating as if to shake apart her skull until Sixiang's comforting qi flooded out to wash it away. A fraction of an instant later, a burning white shape carved through her neck and she burst into shadows, reforming a half meter to her right with no more than a few blisters marking where one of the spirit beasts wings had brushed her neck.

She caught a brief glimpse of the falcon then, it was tiny for a spirit beast, only a half meter from wing tip to wing tip, but the plumes of its wings burned with blue fire even as its technique faded and it beat its wings to regain height. Liang He did not waste his opening either, she felt his qi, sharp and brilliant flare outward, and where he moved, her mist parted. It was a bizarre sensation, to feel someone cut her mist, not with wind pressure or physical force, but on a deeper level. For an instant in a line between where he had stood and her current position, the sun shown into the depths of the mist.

It wasn't enough, the bare moment of breathing room she had gained from her dodge was enough to weave another technique into existence, and Ling Qi's limbs faded her form growing wispy and insubstantial, little more than another wraith in the mist. Yet her instincts screamed for her to move as that gleaming sword of his, it's edge blaze white hot in an almost invisible line cut through qi and air alike. One strike, then a second she flowed around, saved by a hair as her gown once again deflected a cut, the sharpened blade rebounding from the silk with a hiss of heat.

Above their heads, his domain weapon struck hers with a scream of steel on steel, knocking it from it's trajectory toward his back, but Ling Qi was hardly done, The air around them went cold and still as her melody changed, first the soft Aria of Spring's End came, spreading frost across the earth, and sending wispy flakes of snow drifting through the mist, and then came the howl of the blizzard as she launched into her improved technique, the Hoarfrost Refrain. Like an avalanche the wave of dark qi released from her flute fell upon her foe.

Only for his blade to move, rising in a sharp flicking motion. For an instant, Ling Qi felt nothing but confusion as the power of her melody slammed into the earth behind him, freezing a wide circle of the earth solid. She felt the edges of the technique tear at him still, freezing and shattering the trailing edges of his robe and hood. Yet still, for an instant, all she could do was stare. Had he just parried her song!? That instant was all the opportunity Liang He needed however as,with speed like lightning, his blade came back. Even in her surprise, Ling Qi still flung up an arm to block, and she felt the hot sting of pain as his sword carved a painful red across her forearm.

Then that bird of his screeched again, and with a flare of irritation, mostly directed at herself, her entire form flickered, vanishing into the mist as it's burning charge shot through where she had been a moment again. She felt it's qi burning brighter and hotter, as it wheeled as if to charge immediately again… but then Sixiang's qi rippled out, a haze of song, merriment and strong drink, it washed over both Liang He and his beast, and the falcon's flight stuttered, and it's wings dimmed. Liang He himself took a step back, his now tattered hood falling down around his shoulders as he flared his qi and a storm of invisible blades tore apart the encroaching qi.

She had been a little cocky, too conservative with her qi, Ling Qi lamented even as he blurred toward her again and their swords screamed overhead. It was a little unfair to him that she hadn't treated the opening moments seriously enough. So even as she hardened her flesh with the Hundred Ring Armament and wove through his strikes, only a fraction of the blindingly flash slashes hitting, and only one carving through emerald qi to draw blood as the thrust scored across her lower ribs.

The still ringing notes of the Aria redoubled in strength as she resumed the melody, and this time the sad notes held a terrible echo, the Echo of Absolute Winter. Grass died, the earth froze and from the cloying mist fell a thick and freezing snow. This time, even as he parried the bulk of Hoarfrost Refrain's power, ice clung to his sword and hung heavy from his robe, and she felt the cold poison take root. With a ringing cry, her flying sword disentangled itself from his and shot down toward Liang He, forcing him to raise his sword to deflect the spiralling missile even as it renewed its echo on him.

This time the falcon's charge was guttering before it ever reached her, frost forming on burning wings as she slid out of the way with a single graceful step. Behind his mask, she could almost sense her opponent's concerned frown. Freed, his flying sword shot toward her, and it's bright rainbow blur dimmed, as the sheer cold sucked the energy from the blade's movement, leaving it to bounce harmlessly from her gown.

He met her eyes then, and she felt from him a certain strange satisfaction. His stance once again shifted to aggressive, sword raised high. She felt Sixiang startle in alarm as the wind was ripped from her grasp, and the sky screamed. Though it was invisible to the eye, Ling Qi felt the screaming winds gathering into numberless blades, all around her, and the storm that gathered on the single blade in his hands, the fury of it sending his robes snapping and snow flying.

Yet the gathering had happened in a bare instant. There was no time for thought as the storm of blades fell upon her, she had no doubt that a lower realm cultivator would have been reduced to little more than a bloody mist by the scores of invisible blades that she danced through in the next few seconds. It took all of her concentration to flow into the spaces between them, to force her limbs to go immaterial at the right moment, and yet at the end, she stood unharmed, in time to flare her qi and weave a blazing emerald defense as Liang He's storm cloaked blade impacted her chest.

Deepwood Vitality shattered in an instant, and the cutting wind slammed into her. Her gown held it back, silken threads holding many times the strength of steel, yet they were still cut. Her flesh, imbued with the strength of a primeval tree, was cut, and she was blown backward in a howling storm like a leaf in a hurricane.

...Yet the cut was not deep, it burned painfully, even as the cut in her gown rapidly sealed. She could feel blood trickling sluggishly from the wound. It hurt a great deal. However, as she landed lightly on her feet and once again met her opponents resigned gaze, she knew one thing. It wasn't enough.

In a flicker of shadow, she appeared before Liang He before he could pull his sword back into a guard, and played the last notes of the Frozen Soul Serenade. The Call to Ending rang out, not as any audible sound, but instead a silence so deep that all other sound perished in its embrace.

Liang He staggered back as the power of the technique crashed into him, his half formed guard insufficient to parry this. Yet he held his sword, grasping it tightly even as his fingers turned black from the cold. Despite that, the wordless, soundless melody sent him to his knees.

"I declare the match finished," the moment was broken as a pudgy golden hand chopped her lightly on the head.

Her mist was blown away, the snow melted, sound and warmth returned to the world. The jolly Elder gave her a small nod as he stepped past her, and waved a hand, and a golden mist settled over Liang He's kneeling form. "The Winner is Disciple Ling Qi."

Liang He forced himself to stand, and offered a stiff bow. "A good match, Sect Sister," he said in a strained voice. Ling Qi felt a little bad for the clear pain he was in. He still clutched his sword in his blackened fingers, and she had a feeling he couldn't have let it go even if he wanted too.

"It was a good match Sect Brother," Ling Qi agreed, hastily bowing back, feeling incredibly awkward as she began to recall the audience their duel had..

"It pleases me to see such good humor in the wake of a duel," the Elder said with a wide smile. "But I will have to interrupt. My technique may keep anything important from falling off, but the young man does need to see a Healer."

Then he laid a hand on her opponent's shoulder and vanished. Leaving Ling Qi alone on the field under the stare's of the audience.

She stared at the silent stands, and offered another hasty bow to the stands, before exiting with full dignity and speed.

"Or so she told herself," Sixiang whispered silently, laughing in her head.

Ling Qi sighed, she supposed this was the first time she had displayed such a heavily damaging ability. Her previous victories had all been more drawn out and less… brutal. Still her opponent didn't seem to hold any ill will, so she doubted the audience would be able to successfully spin it in the negative.

More importantly, she could be sure of it. The Frozen Soul was mastered wholly.

Would that be enough to face her mentor though?

Ling Qi winced as she felt a twinge from the cut on her chest...she could think about that later. Right now she should probably go to the medical pavilion too.

AN: Alrighty, we're moving to the second social slot vote.

[] The situation between Zeqing and Hanyi is deteriorating. You have mastered her lessons and her art. The time for a tribulation is here, and perhaps it can solve the terrible situation forming before your eyes.
[] You have not spent enough time with your family. The new help should be settled in, so spend some time with your mother and sister. In the wake of your growing insights, you need to think about what family truly means.

Last edited:
it is in my opinion best for the imperials if they keep the Bai-Sun antagonism going without resolution for as long as possible. The Sun need imperial allies to keep the Bai in check, so keeping the conflict going prevents them from leaving the empire. The Bai will this way be forced to look for alliances themself, which leads to them opening up and contributing to the empire. The imperial clan should therefore make sure that neither side can ever win this conflict. The difficult part would be to keep it all under control though

and about the "increasing unity between the provinces": to me this is reads as 'more centralized power for the imperial clan', which is something an old clan with a lot of old privileges will naturally be against

[X] The situation between Zeqing and Hanyi is deteriorating. You have mastered her lessons and her art. The time for a tribulation is here, and perhaps it can solve the terrible situation forming before your eyes.

I think this is fairly clear cut what we should vote for, here.

Anyway, Interesting fight. Ling Qi having trouble tagging someone 1 or even 2 rank under her hit (B rank avoid to our A or S rank) sort of hints that we should always assume that our opponent might have trump cards defensive or offensive wise that makes things more complicated than expected.

I also really like the whole sword theme he had going on, it was cool. It's also pretty clear he got at least 1 lucky art, there. Probably 2. After all, it appears archive arts don't have B rank techs in appraisal.

Last edited:
Really, really cool fight. Liang He's attacks had really strong imagery and he felt very powerful.
Yet the gathering had happened in a bare instant. There was no time for thought as the storm of blades fell upon her, she had no doubt that a lower realm cultivator would have been reduced to little more than a bloody mist by the scores of invisible blades that she danced through in the next few seconds. It took all of her concentration to flow into the spaces between them, to force her limbs to go immaterial at the right moment, and yet at the end, she stood unharmed, in time to flare her qi and weave a blazing emerald defense as Liang He's storm cloaked blade impacted her chest.
Ling Qi's starting to become a Touhou protagonist; her hitbox is smaller than her body.

[X] The situation between Zeqing and Hanyi is deteriorating. You have mastered her lessons and her art. The time for a tribulation is here, and perhaps it can solve the terrible situation forming before your eyes.

[X] You have not spent enough time with your family. The new help should be settled in, so spend some time with your mother and sister. In the wake of your growing insights, you need to think about what family truly means.

There are a few reasons, but perhaps the biggest is that I believe we should think about what family means before we start butting into our mentor's painful upcoming loss of family

Last edited:
Always choose the option with the best outcome. Unless there's a Zeqing option, then choose the Zeqing option.

Gah, I hate this choice. Because I want to see more Ling family interaction and LQ and Qi!Mom really need to do some healing. But the Zeqing - Hanyi situation really looks like it cant wait.

Back