Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
While it is most useful for combat challenges, the data does serve as a strong point of comparison where inferences can be drawn regarding other skills and stats. For instance, we have the highest stat on the board (Spiritual Hit: B25 compared to Mou Shuang Combat Perception: B20). This indicates that one of our specialties (Music) could have better stats than one of Mou Shuang's specialties (reconnaissance). This also implies that we can beat one of these targets if our specialties overlap.

And while I do agree that combat challenges are not something we can count on, this information is useful if we can target an individual who can be goaded or prodded into accepting a combat challenge. It is quite clear that we have the advantage on the combat specs.

Given this, to me at least, Disciple 812 (Yu Nuan) is the most favorable target to do more research on. We have information on only 4/9ths of the current categories for her and she is likely to be an individual that more people are willing to talk about as well as being more open about her abilities. This means that we have a lot of possible general information to cover, but we can be pretty sure to narrow down the possible challenges/relevant skills that she would be going for. Our specialties cross (music) and given the other inference above we should have comparable to favorable music skills should we compete against her.

All in all, I'm feeling more confident in my choice that Yu Nuan is the disciple that would be best for us to challenge. The information we need to gather on her will most likely be easier to gather than the other targets, we can be pretty comfortable in comparing our general to specific skills, and our specialties match reducing the probable wildcard challenge options.
Yeah that makes sense.

@yrsillar I assume these stat blocks don't include cultivation penalties? Because if they did then that would imply that Suyin has baseline A rank combat perception and A5 Spiritual Armor...

(and that if she broke through to Green this week she'd have decent odds at kicking our ass)

Edit:
Ok, so I did a thing to compare people's stats:

Graphs show the differences in our stats in terms of ranks. -ve means they're weaker than us, +ve means they're stronger. To make qi comparisons meaningful and not misleading I did some guesswork to add in qi used up by spirit beasts. I also simplified offense down to "main offense" because otherwise you get dumb comparisons that we don't care about.

A couple of observations I'd make off the bat:
  • Literally everyone have better perception than us? Suyin has better perception than us. We shouldn't be that bad at perception. While the nobles have many advantages, I'd have thought that one thing Ling Qi's background should have given her would be decent perception. On top of that we've at least mastered AM, and gotten multiple tutoring sessions in perception stuff. Is Dual-Perception Art the Meta? Have we screwed up somewhere?
  • Suyin has remarkably high spiritual defense. Not sure how she did this. She wasn't playing with Meizhen and the Black Pool all the time.

Last edited:
@yrsillar I assume these stat blocks don't include cultivation penalties? Because if they did then that would imply that Suyin has baseline A rank combat perception and A5 Spiritual Armor...

(and that if she broke through to Green this week she'd have decent odds at kicking our ass)

Edit:

Graphs show the differences in our stats in terms of ranks. -ve means they're weaker than us, +ve means they're stronger. To make qi comparisons meaningful and not misleading I did some guesswork to add in qi used up by spirit beasts. I also simplified offense down to "main offense" because otherwise you get dumb comparisons that we don't care about.

• Literally everyone have better perception than us? Suyin has better perception than us. We shouldn't be that bad at perception. While the nobles have many advantages, I'd have thought that one thing Ling Qi's background should have given her would be decent perception. On top of that we've at least mastered AM, and gotten multiple tutoring sessions in perception stuff. Is Dual-Perception Art the Meta? Have we screwed up somewhere?
  • Suyin has remarkably high spiritual defense. Not sure how she did this. She wasn't playing with Meizhen and the Black Pool all the time.
Yeah looking back I forgot to adjust her stats when copying out of my worksheet, I'll fix it in the morning

If all the perception being this high everywhere is really indicative of the meta it's possible that Ling Qi should just abandon stealth as a serious concern. Being a Ninja Musician has always been a bit pathological, and apparently we aren't really doing stealth well enough for it to actually be very useful against peer opponents, by all indication.

If all the perception being this high everywhere is really indicative of the meta it's possible that Ling Qi should just abandon stealth as a serious concern. Being a Ninja Musician has always been a bit pathological, and apparently we aren't really doing stealth well enough for it to actually be very useful against peer opponents, by all indication.
Well, tbf, as we said before the tournament we do really need more than one stealth art to actually be a good stealth build.

That being said, the levels of perception that apparently everyone has is a little worrying.

A music challenge seems advantageous at this point, and wouldn't reveal anything we haven't show before. If the opponent chooses to take things personally, so be it, but I wouldn't assume that, its not like challenges are a rare event.

[X] Research Disciple 812

That being said, the levels of perception that apparently everyone has is a little worrying.

These people have spent a year with Qi. They've seen first hand the destruction of Renshu and all the troubles Liling had because of a single infiltrator. If they are paranoid about being sneaked up on, I can't say I blame them.

These people have spent a year with Qi. They've seen first hand the destruction of Renshu and all the troubles Liling had because of a single infiltrator. If they are paranoid about being sneaked up on, I can't say I blame them.
If these people had time to purposefully change their whole build for Ling Qi (and that is Xiulan and Suyin you are talking about) they wouldn't be as good at everything else there.

Their perception is not out of bound with the rest of their ability. In fact, Ji Rong has nicely perception and s.def as his lowest abilities, showing that he didn't care at all about Ling Qi. It's just that they are still higher than Ling Qi's, because the system change meant having high stats harder, and perceptiveness is a new skill that was created recently... but that only matters for Ling Qi, not other people.

Mmmh, I dislike stealth as a main method of Ling Qi, but I don't think it's actually worrying. I have the impression that the real issues are getting the skills to B and then to S?, as those have bottlenecks. My impression is that people have had their perception rubberbanded to C before said bottleneck, but for a bit it the derived attribute will only hover around C/B unless they are perception focused given the bottleneck for B (getting B thanks to passives).

This 'Rubberband to C' is also why Suyin's perception and s.def looks so good, but B stuff is hopefully going to be much harder.

Looking only at the impact on ranks takes challenges too lightly. It takes considerable time and effort and a loss will adversely affect one's reputation as well as baiting yet more challenges.
A challenge by someone in your speciality is also a gift to improve said speciality.

Beside that, I can bet you that the people we don't challenge have high odds to 'disappear' from the narrative, but the one we do challenge could stay.

Looks to play to our primary strength, something this girl will no doubt know should we challenge her.

Discerning her secondary skills should prepare us adequately for most plausible situations - and if her secondary spec is paperwork then we just leave her be.

Looks to play to our primary strength, something this girl will no doubt know should we challenge her.

Discerning her secondary skills should prepare us adequately for most plausible situations - and if her secondary spec is paperwork then we just leave her be.
Secondary specs we're bad at are hugely preferable to secondary specs we are mediocre at. A sect official is far more likely to offer a relevant challenge for abilities with a 1 grade difference than he is to offer one for abilities with a 3 grade difference.

A challenge by someone in your speciality is also a gift to improve said speciality.

Beside that, I can bet you that the people we don't challenge have high odds to 'disappear' from the narrative, but the one we do challenge could stay.

Yeah, I'd consider us lucky if she has an A rank music skill. We need to start worrying about breaking through to S now, rather than waiting until we have the xp to line up relevant experiences.

Last edited:
Secondary specs we're bad at are hugely preferable to secondary specs we are mediocre at. A sect official is far more likely to offer a relevant challenge for abilities with a 1 grade difference than he is to offer one for abilities with a 3 grade difference.
It depends if the sect official believes we are being too narrow in our specialities. Basically, I think a sect official is going to give at least 3 choices to people we challenge. Combat should always be one, and then there will be 2 'special challenges'. If we have nothing in common with her except Music and unarmed combat, well....

It depends if the sect official believes we are being too narrow in our specialities. Basically, I think a sect official is going to give at least 3 choices to people we challenge. Combat should always be one, and then there will be 2 'special challenges'. If we have nothing in common with her except Music and unarmed combat, well....
Yeah, you're right that it's possible to get punished, but I don't think it'll happen so soon. Maybe if we didn't have any C rank skills, if we didn't have backing and she did, or if we challenged high, etc.
That's part of why I don't want to challenge stealth guy, though. I feel we have enough stealth that he'd get the option even if he's at A. (I think he's at B)

Mm, I would point out.

If we end up leapfrogging 812, she seems like the sort who might be cocky enough to challenge us later in that field as a result, and it means we could get some CP off of her that way.

Realistically, 807 seems the one most likely to be an actual duel--or alternately, breaking a security system. Both things that Ling Qi is strong in, and that we have solid paths to victory in.

Edit:

This is great! I'd also be rather interested to see the hit vs avoid and pen vs armor differences.

Back