Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I'm i misremembering? Or was it in the Royal Road version?
Pretty sure Meizhen went "i will kill that guy" and Ling Qi went "we will".
Been a while, i could remember wrong.
It was shortly after the truce dropped. I don't think Ling Qi said she'd join in, was just a bit surprised how forthright Meizhen was.

Might be thinking of Su Ling in regards to the 'I'll help' bit. Can't remember the exact wording but pretty sure we said we'd help her kill her mum if she wanted at some point.

Meizhen iirc we were more neutral in regards to her murder grudge, in a neither encouraging nor discouraging way, though uncomfortable and maybe a bit shocked how straight forward Meizhen was being yeah.

You know, the Celestial Peaks clans' strategy against the Bai makes more sense in hindsight.
The Celestial Peak clans have never had to deal with a long continuity Power, the Imperial Throne and Imperial Dragon only acts against very specific lines being crossed. A good imperial court strategy is to break the feedback loop of resources->power->influence->resource that they all rely on, you could starve your enemies through social isolation, and their ability to retaliate will diminish over time, until they get weak enough to break to your will or they give in and submit before they are destroyed.

They're using the same old tactic, except the Bai have a self sufficient power core in their Sublime Ancestor. All the isolation isn't weakening them, its making them discard the convenience and utility of trade and focus on their fundamentals.

They're pushing the Bai into a corner using well established political tactics, not quite making the connection of what happens when you change "Able to destroy the Empire, at the cost of themselves" into "Willing to destroy the Empire with themselves"

They THINK they're calling the bluff on the mutually assured destruction.
The Bai are not joking.

Turn 7: Arc 2-5
"Good Afternoon lady Cai," Ling Qi said politely, bowing her head low as the door of the other girls study drifted shut behind her, nudged by the wind. "I hope your day finds you well."

"Well enough all things considered. It pleases me that you have been released from the Medicine Hall so soon," Cai Renxiang said, looking up from her task. For once, she was not behind her desk, but instead seated in one of the other chairs set around the room. Her saber, Cifeng, lay naked across her lap. The Heiress was running an oil cloth over the silvery metal, and the blade seemed to almost purr at her meticulous polishing.

"The Sect has many skilled physicians," Ling Qi agreed. "I am told that I should be in good condition within another day or two." She took a seat in a chair near to Cai Renxiang's, sinking into the soft cushioning with a sigh. Normally it would have been rude to take a seat without invitation, but the heiress didn't mind little indiscretions in private. As she settled into her seat though, she took a second look at her liege.

Although there were no obvious physical signs of it, there was a certain haggard air to Cai Renxiang as she sat there, quietly polishing her saber. She had no wounds, nor any dark circles around her eyes, not even a single split end or strand of hair out of place. Yet on some level, to Ling Qi she felt… frayed for lack of a better word. It reminded her of the tournament, that day after she had spent the night with the Duchess. "And you Lady Renxiang, were you injured in battle?" It was a little bit of a gamble, to use such familiar terms, she had never been given invitation but… Lin Hai's words returned to her thoughts.

Cai Renxiang gave her a sharp look, and in her lap, Cifeng shook imperceptibly, but the girl did not chide her. "Do not allow the demeanor of Sir Lin to corrupt you, Ling Qi. Neither you nor I are so highly placed that we might afford undue indiscretion."

"I will keep that in mind," Ling Qi replied demurely, folding her hands in her lap. Renxiang had not told her off, really. "My question?"

"I required no treatment from the physicians," Cai Renxiang replied. That was a pretty obvious dodge. Her liege really was tired it seemed. Still, she wasn't going to push her luck and press the matter.

"I'm glad," Ling Qi replied simply. "You said in your note that you had been in contact with the capital? How did the Duchess take the news?"

"I believe my honored Mother to be somewhat vexed," Cai Renxiang replied carefully. Her white gowl rippled, the 'eyes' splayed across her chest flashing with inner light, and in her mind, Ling Qi felt the low beastial growl that emanated from the other girls gown. "News of a new enemy is not going over well among the nobility."

Ling Qi hesitated a moment. "...Are they really new though? I have known about various things beneath the earth for some time, and the Elders know. Surely no one was really unaware of the caverns and the things that live in them."

"I have no doubt that they were aware enough. I have no doubt that Mother was aware as well," Cai Renxiang replied. She did not look up, instead gazing into the gemstone set Cifeng's side. Ling Qi sensed a faint pulse of sharp metallic qi, echoing through Cai Renxiang's aura. "However, that is not the issue."

It took Ling Qi a moment to mull over what she meant. "...Ah, they can't just treat it as a deadly wilderness anymore."

Cai Renxiang let out a long breath and flicked her wrist, storing the oilcloth away. She studied the blade in the light of her own radiance, before raising her eyes to meet Ling Qi's. "It is not only that. Mother has unsealed a number of archives that indicate certain interests into exploiting those realms in the most recent century."

"Wait, then…" Ling Qi frowned, thinking of her own expedition with Li Suyin.

"I find it unlikely that the timing is unrelated, and whatever else one might say, the coordination necessary to stage this attack and make alliance with several Cloud Tribes… It indicates a certain sophistication among these subterrene barbarians," Cai Renxiang continued. Pale blue thread spun into existence, reforming the sheath of her saber.

It seemed that the province Lords and the Argent Sect might have been poking at a long buried wasps nest then, Ling Qi mused, and now they had gotten stung for it. "How are the clans reacting to this? They'll rally obviously, but that only means so much."

"The Bao are the most effected, their interests mostly lie in and beneath the earth, though mostly in healthier caverns. They seem to be the most discontent, though I have not been able to ascertain why, beyond the obvious costs to their business."

"I'll look into it," Ling Qi replied. Bao Qingling's comment struck her, was there something more there? Bao Qian seemed the sort that might be in the know too, but she was much less certain of her ability to get him to tell her anything.

"My thanks," Cai Renxiang said. "Of the Meng, they turn inward as always, and my sources at court indicate that they blame other clans delvings for this, the Bao in particular. There has been a grudge between those clans since the days of the Hui, when the Bao used the chaos to expand their borders through the Meng's northern lands. It concerns me to see such fractures flaring up again."

It still struck her as strange, Ling Qi admitted, to imagine days when nobles of the same province were openly fighting each other and expanding at one another's expense. They were all people of the empire, it gave her a disquieting feeling. "...And the Diao?"

"The Prime Minister will not allow any complaints," Cai Renxiang replied dryly, and Ling Qi eyed her curiously, was that a hint of genuine antipathy, or had she just imagined things. "However some elements grumble regardless, they would rather mount proper retaliation than abandon their delvings, and the Jia clan remains in their camp. The Luo are happy enough to build their defenses I believe. If you could speak with Sir Luo on that matter, I would be appreciative."

"I will do so," Ling Qi agreed. "Will you be canceling your gatherings, or should I plan for another venue?"

"No, barring actual military need. I will not," Cai Renxiang said bluntly. Ling Qi had suspected not, it would show weakness in an unacceptable way. "Leaving all that aside however, I require your talents for a more sustained task."

Ling Qi blinked, what could she mean by that? "I will try to fulfill it to the best of my ability," Ling Qi replied slowly.

Cai Renxiang gave her a curt nod of acknowledgement. "I require you to make friends with Wang Chao. His clan is making aggressive rumblings as well, and I worry that they are beginning to drift from the Cai families orbit. While their connections to the Diao are well and fine, the Prime Minister will not be matriarch forever."

Ling Qi grimaced, recalling the boy from Cai's parties, he had not left a good impression on her, but… she would try. It felt a little odd to set out to 'make friends' with someone based on a command, but she would just have to do her best. Perhaps she could speak with him at the next gathering? "As you command, Lady Cai."

"Very good," the heiress breathed out, and the light that played around her shoulders brightened a little. "Allow me to commend the efforts you have made already," she added. "Without your show of martial prowess, the task might be impossible. Many indiscretions may be ignored in victory. You performed above my expectations."

Argent Sect: Rank 3
-Inner Sect Disciples: 0
"Thank you, Lady Renxiang," Ling Qi replied with some surprise. "I will make sure to build on my victories."

"I am certain that you will," Cai renxiang agreed, and Ling Qi briefly caught a faint upward quirk of her lips before her expression smoothed. "There is another matter you should be aware of. My younger sister, Cai Tienli was born twelve days ago. She is in good health by all reports."

Ling Qi shot the heiress a sympathetic look. Even without being able to see it on her face, she could sense the conflicted tone in the other girls words. She began to work out her reply, but then there was a faint burst of smoke, drawing both of their eyes.

A fluttering scrap of parchment drifted down, and Ling Qi snatched it from the air. Her eyes scanned over the hastily scribbled words. Zhengui was awake.

"Is something amiss?" Cai Renxiang cut in sharply, eyeing the paper.

"No, my spirit Zhengui has just awoken though, and…" Ling Qi said quickly, eyeing the door. She didn't want to be rude, but…

"Go," Cai Renxiang dismissed, gesturing to the door. "We have covered the most important matters.

Ling Qi shot to her feet immediately and bowed. "Thank you, my Lady" However as she raised her head and began to turn away, her eyes fell on her liege again, sitting stiff in her chair. She considered the last subject they had spoken of, everything that had happened, and the frayed feeling of Renxiang's spirit. She…

[] Invited Renxiang to come out with her. Meizhen would be there later as well, so what was one more for the gathering?
[] Turned away. She had to see to her family first and foremost. Besides, she was sure that Cai Renxiang was too busy to spend the day on something frivolous

[X] Invited Renxiang to come out with her. Meizhen would be there later as well, so what was one more for the gathering?

crx requires goodboi therapy

EDIT: Also, I feel we made the right call with the choice we did. Our direct duties to CRX continue to be mostly political in nature, so it's important to show her we take that duty seriously. The fact that she gave us a diplomancy job supports that.

Last edited:
[] Invited Renxiang to come out with her. Meizhen would be there later as well, so what was one more for the gathering?

Finally an opportunity to befriend our liege! Let's distract her for a bit, she really, really needs it.

[X] Invited Renxiang to come out with her. Meizhen would be there later as well, so what was one more for the gathering?

I'm not sure if there's any reason to choose the second option. It doesn't match Ling Qi's character as well and doesn't seem to have any major benefits that put it above the first.

Last edited:

Definitely want to invite Renxiang. She needs a day off.

Last edited:
I for one, welcomethe idea of seeing Zhengui interact with our liege as well as CRX feeling more comradery (read, friendship). We do trust her and want her to know that, involving her in something less high stakes than contemplating realpolitik is valuable for someone who very clearly doesn't believe that decompressing can be helpful. While meditating as she clearly was doing has benefits, I think stepping away from her current mental exercises might be just as helpful.

Plus maybe she'll give Zhengui headpats for doing such a good job!

She needs company, just brooding on this doesn't help her.

It's through interaction that people grow.

This is a really weird voting option, cause I cant see the thread voting any other way then inviting CRX. Like is there really a reason not to do it beside decorum and leaving CRX alone?

I go yes but it might just be mean given the relationship of reixiang to her new sister and spirit gown

I like how renxiang sword is a good boi, much better than the damn cat that is also a gown

Can't get that SL4 without some FRIENDSHIP TIME

Pretty much the only possible downside is that this might push CRX towards feeling guilty about 'slacking off' on non-duty things when she's getting pressure from Shenhua about measuring up. It'd definitely be better for her mental health in the short run but is more likely to cause long run friction to some degree.

Cai Renxiang gave her a curt nod of acknowledgement. "I require you to make friends with Wang Chao. His clan is making aggressive rumblings as well, and I worry that they are beginning to drift from the Cai families orbit. While their connections to the Diao are well and fine, the Prime Minister will not be matriarch forever."

Ling Qi grimaced, recalling the boy from Cai's parties, he had not left a good impression on her, but… she would try. It felt a little odd to set out to 'make friends' with someone based on a command, but she would just have to do her best. Perhaps she could speak with him at the next gathering? "As you command, Lady Cai."
We shall do our best, we will also fail horribly, but dammit we will do our best.
Who was Wang Chao? Was he the asshole who kept needling us constantly?

I am sure Meizhen will understand an extra quest.

Last edited:

CRX needs comfort. she already had a shitty day, on top of a shitty week...

Who was Wang Chao? Was he the asshole who kept needling us constantly?
Yes.
"It would seem less than optimal to overestimate them as well," pointed out the boy she was conversing with a cautious voice. He was short and wide of build, with the beginning of a mustache dusting his upper lip. There was no kind way to say it, he kind of reminded her of Fan Yu, with a spirit that spoke of a boulder rumbling downhill, growing and picking up debris. "If left to their own devices, they will only return to raid another year."

"Confronting a beast in its own den is a wholly different affair than defending your pens Sir Wang," the rougher of the two boys she had taken notice of said in a dry voice, she did not miss the faintly disrespectful twist his tongue gave to the word 'sir' however. "One needs be prepared to hold that den for one, else the cost of the taking be wasted when a new beast moves in. It is not as if there are any limits to the number of tribes lurking in the mountains, turn over a rock and five more will burst forth."

The other boy shot him a venomous look, but it was Cai Renxiang who spoke. "Sir Luo's words are not without merit," she said smoothly. "My Mother's opinion remains that consolidation of our current territories is to remain the priority. While I laud your families zeal for enriching the empire and our humble province, I will have to ask that you convey my Mother's words of patience to your elders."

"Of course Lady Cai," the apparent Wang family member said, dipping a bow. "I simply wished to present certain ideas for your consideration."
"Cloud barbarians are beaten and broken, let's go fuck em up so they stop raiding us."
"Quite right," Wang Chao said, shaking his head. "I cannot speak against your musical talents, but that part at the end of the duel was a bit vicious to use on a countrymen, wasn't it?"
"Fighting is fine, but hurting people is so gauche!"
"...Leaving that advice of yours aside," Wang Chao huffed, shooting Meng a disgruntled look. "It occurs that this is a rare opportunity. You must be aware of the foul rumor that has begun to spread around your house already, Miss Ling. Might you want to address the matter?"

Despite her best efforts, Ling Qi could feel her expression hardening a little. "I am merely rewarding loyalty. Those who were friends to my Mother and I when we were in low position deserve that much," while she might not remember them, her Mother did see them as friends, and that was enough. "If the Liu family is truly in such difficult straights, I would be happy to discuss recompense for recruiting some of their citizens."
"You consort with ruffians and low-class people!"
Ling Qi held in a sigh of relief as she was allowed to leave the center of attention and observe the interactions of the nobles. She kept her own counsel, speaking up mostly to support her liege when appropriate. The picture she got… was not encouraging. Of course these were only young men and women, but… it seemed even Cai Shenhua's rise had not welded together the provinces internal divisions. Luo and Meng sniped at each other regularly, and both looked down on the Wang, and Wang blustered at everyone else. Viscounts and barons quarreled in their own little packs, vying for favorable words from the ones above them.
"I HAVE AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX WON'T SOMEONE PLZ GIVE ME HEADPATS"

I suspect it's about does Ling Qi truly add CRX to her list of friends or not, with all that entails, which uhh...
I'm going to say right now I'm probably horribly biased against Ling Qi's elemental affinities in general, especially since I can't help but think that if we had say, gone for the Nurturing Moon instead of Bloody it would have suited what we wanted more AND likely not backfired as badly as Bloody Moon did- Like I said, I'm biased, and part of my bias is the bitterness of that lasting trauma.

But, my salt aside, I would not be surprised if Ling Qi in general is going to be very slow to make friends and finds it easy to drop old ones if she doesn't spend time around them. Adding CRX to the list is easier said then done, and I suspect Ling Qi has but only so many slots to work with, so to speak.

Because really all of our friends deserve time with best boys

CRX interactions aren't quite the same without Sixiang reminding us how manufactured the conversation is, though this vote seems to be "do you hate CRX?"

Back