Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Killer_Whale on Nov 11, 2019 at 11:48 PM, finished with 99 posts and 52 votes.

[X] Suggest your own plan, carrying Yu Nuan up into the Clouds so that she could face her potential spirit in their own realm. (Success not guaranteed, potential Greater Success?)

My guess is the same, though whether they are going for "I need to notice this before it happens", "I need to be able to prevent this from taking effect", or "I need to be able to stop this if it happens again" method of addressing it is going to be the interesting thing to see.

The first would likely focus on Six's wind-based ability much like Brother Wind from TehChron's omake, the second would probably be a focus on isolating and containing the poison's effects for a time delaying their onset until we are either out of the fight or can get medical attention, and the last would likely focus on how to neutralize it but also likely be the most costly ability.

My guess if the third one, as a Qi/Action weighted power that allows Six to Perfect Defense an effect like Poison or some such would be both incredible and on theme so far with their relationship with Ling Qi.
There are a lot of options for "partial dispells" (you mentioned one, but I'll include it for completeness):
  • Delay onset
  • Reduce the effects (e.g., halve all effects, e.g., fully remove a certain effect)
  • Reduce the duration
  • Reduce how quickly the effects apply (potentially at cost of increased duration)
  • Spread the effects to multiple targets (not really a partial dispell but still gives options for dealing with a poison too strong to full-dispell)

It's important to remember our Darkness and Cold arts are weakened at the moment. That's our strongest arts in general- and FSS in particular getting a double-dose. If things come down to a fight, we'll be relying entirely on PLR for our offense. Our dodging too, art-wise. Considering the stakes resting on PLR if anything goes wrong, I think we need to exercise a bit of judgement and tackle the problem we... wait a second, that's actually awesome! PLR gooooooo!

[X] Suggest your own plan, carrying Yu Nuan up into the Clouds so that she could face her potential spirit in their own realm. (Success not guaranteed, potential Greater Success?)

Thinking about it, even with the safe option, what's doing the herding? Obviously, PLR. There's nothing else at full operational capability with the appropriate effects. This arc seems the time for the art to shine.

...Wait, if that's the case are we voting for Dance evolutions here? I really hope not, but if it is... a herding-centric Dance skill is delicious treasure that cannot be passed by. Whatever bullshit skill that would come from the other option is impossible to discern, but would probably be more solo combat focussed. And therefore a disgusting stain on all that is good. For the sake of Dance:

[X] Follow Yu Nuan's plan, circle through the clouds herding Thunder beasts toward her performance. (Guaranteed Normal Success)

The only shame about challenges being called off, was that we didn't get to see a stealth challenge.

Also, maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems that the obvious fail-state for pushing Ling Qi's luck is being forced to spend my time with Yu Nuan if Ling fails? Because it seems like an another reason to vote for the go big option for people who like her.

The only shame about challenges being called off, was that we didn't get to see a stealth challenge.

Also, maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems that the obvious fail-state for pushing Ling Qi's luck is being forced to spend my time with Yu Nuan if Ling fails? Because it seems like an another reason to vote for the go big option for people who like her.
If you get to see a stealth challenge, one of the competitors thoroughly fucked up.

Mostly a narrative vote I suppose as this seems much more interesting, and I don't have a problem with us "wasting" time doing it again next month if we fail.

That said I am a little confused about the claim that picking the normal guaranteed success will make her combat ready faster. As far as I can recall all the cases we have seen from people binding spirits from the wild, the spirits have been either first or second realm. With the battles the inner sect decipels is sent to a second realm spirit won't be that much of a boon? Or have i misunderstood what normal means and the assumption is this will lead to a third realm spirit?

Mostly a narrative vote I suppose as this seems much more interesting, and I don't have a problem with us "wasting" time doing it again next month if we fail.

That said I am a little confused about the claim that picking the normal guaranteed success will make her combat ready faster. As far as I can recall all the cases we have seen from people binding spirits from the wild, the spirits have been either first or second realm. With the battles the inner sect decipels is sent to a second realm spirit won't be that much of a boon? Or have i misunderstood what normal means and the assumption is this will lead to a third realm spirit?
I assume that they mean that since they are guaranteed to get a spirit, it makes Yu Nuan be more ready after that, compared to the other option where it's not guaranteed and they have to spend their time doing the whole ritual again next month. That's my take anyway.

I assume that they mean that since they are guaranteed to get a spirit, it makes Yu Nuan be more ready after that, compared to the other option where it's not guaranteed and they have to spend their time doing the whole ritual again next month. That's my take anyway.
You are probably correct, I guess I just feel that a truly terrible roll (ie 1) where we get a low first realm that can't be pulled into the core yet like early Zhengui will be even worse then no spirit at all from a combat perspective, as it will have to be actively protected. But getting such a low level spirit might be over thinking things...

...And yet, Ling Qi could not help but notice the differences, between now and when she had last seen him. Sect Head Yuan's white hair seemed thinner and wispier now, his shoulders a little less broad, the lines of his face a little deeper.
Elder Zhou aside, I just remembered that just last month, his buddy Elder Heng (the really old guy who used to teach Ling Qi's class at the start of the quest before Elder Jiao replaced him) is on his deathbed as well. Poor Yuan He is sad and lonely now

Six gonna peace out "I didn't sign up for this learning what death is only to watch people I like die bullshit"
I think Sixiang is taking the opportunity to study the effect of Yanmei's purifying fire.

LQ does get in over her head a lot so six might be developing an inferiority complex, and being partially modeled after LQ, their way to cope is "I'll just have to get stronger, faster".

I think Sixiang is taking inspiration to develop the purifying effects of Wind. The element can have powerful themes of refreshment and dispersing ills. Sixiang is ill-suited to destroying invasive energies, but dispersing or transforming them is perfectly within their purview as a Lunar spirit.

On the other Hand, Cai Senior's disciple is now a lot more likely to finally get his Elder honors. The sect needs every sixth realm cultivator they can get.

Btw, do we know if the dude we left behind made it home?

Last edited:

However, Zhengui was still in a restorative sleep. The way he had forcibly broken through to the next stage and forced the evolution of his techniques all at once had exhausted him, her poor little brother had not stayed conscious for much longer than her. The sheer quantity of diseased ichor that had stained him didn't help matters, weakening his regeneration a great deal. The Sect's physicians had assured her he would wake within two days however.
Zhengui opened his eyes groggily as he slowly roused himself from sleep, though he didn't feel nearly as refreshed as he usually did. Feeling a small figure lying against Gui's face, he turned his head slightly to try and get a better look at whatever it was.

"Mother?" he asked, still half asleep. It looked like she had fallen asleep next to him, and the slight movement he had just made seemed to have awakened her. As she turned to look up at him, tears began to streak down her cheeks. Closing her eyes, she wrapped her arms around his head as far as they could go as she pushed herself against him.

"Mother?!" he cried, voice full of alarm, "What's wrong, mother?" He started to panic, until he noticed the smile on her face.

"I'm so proud of you, Zhengui."

Zhengui opened his eyes groggily as he slowly roused himself from sleep, though he didn't feel nearly as refreshed as he usually did. Feeling a small figure lying against Gui's face, he turned his head slightly to try and get a better look at whatever it was.

"Mother?" he asked, still half asleep. It looked like she had fallen asleep next to him, and the slight movement he had just made seemed to have awakened her. As she turned to look up at him, tears began to streak down her cheeks. Closing her eyes, she wrapped her arms around his head as far as they could go as she pushed herself against him.

"Mother?!" he cried, voice full of alarm, "What's wrong, mother?" He started to panic, until he noticed the smile on her face.

"I'm so proud of you, Zhengui."
Oooh, the good old 'Zhengui wakes up in a few centuries when Ling Qi is dying of old age" scenario ❤

Emerald SeasPolitical Map
At long last, the map of the Emerald Seas is complete!
And a quick explanation of what this map is showing:
The colours on the map are determined by de facto county rulership. That is, if your county-level liege is the Luo, directly or indirectly, then your spot on the map is Luo red, even if you're geographically within Diao county. Note that it's not just the borders where these things are happening, it's just that within a county all bordergore shenanigans between viscounties will end up the same colour anyways.

Last edited:
Back