The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

We'll need to buy all the materials with blood, since some of the bonus to development will disappear when using a charm forge. That's 12 points, and it cost 1 talent to use a forge.

One and two point mats might be good buys just to have a stock for later charm ideas or commission. And they're cheap.

[] The teeth of a Mauler Ape. (1 Point. Beast Aspected. +2 to development.)
[] The hide of a shellrat. (1 Point. Earth Aspected. +2 to development)
[] Scales from a Lightbridge Trout. (1 Point. Water Aspected. +2 to development)
[] Freshly-Hewn Obsidian. (2 Points. Light Aspected. +4 to Development)
[] A handful of sun-dried herbs. (2 Point. Blood Aspected. +3 to development)
[] Bottled ash from experiments in the Creator's Garden. (2 Points. Fire Aspected. +3 to development)
[] A hailstone. (2 Points. Wind Aspected. +3 to development)
[] The bark of a lightning-struck oak. (2 Points. Force Aspected. +4 to Development)

The sun-dried herbs would be what to get if we want to preserve action economy while still making our commission. We'd have to spend an action refining, and then more actions making the charm, even if it would turn out more impressive in the end...

@Vesvius: I've been following this quest for the last few months, mostly as a lurker. I've really enjoyed it.

One thing I appreciate about this quest is the sense of a huge breadth of possibilities, with each one seeming rich and compelling to explore. After reading this quest, I looked at some other Xianxia quests and novels and they didn't give me the same feeling of there being hundreds of other exciting paths that aren't being explored. I think an important part of this has been you fleshing out the world building and hinting at it lots of directions. I've especially liked the natural wonders being unique and having a bit of personality and flavor to them.

I've also really appreciated the strong female characters. Nokai is especially interesting, but Mei Daiyu, Jai Fa, and Mo Hanying have depth as well. I think this really stands out in contrast to my brief look into Xianxia.

I read part of your wresting quest way back, and while it's hard to pin down anything in particular, this one seems noticeably stronger to me. Although that may partly be me enjoying the topic more!

@Vesvius: I've been following this quest for the last few months, mostly as a lurker. I've really enjoyed it.
I've also really appreciated the strong female characters. Nokai is especially interesting, but Mei Daiyu, Jai Fa, and Mo Hanying have depth as well. I think this really stands out in contrast to my brief look into Xianxia.

Strangely, wuxia seems to have a lot of strong female characters, lots of gallant princesses with swords a la Nirvana in Fire or Joy of Life.

Last edited:
[] Bleached Golden Sea Coral. (4 Points. Water/Salt Aspected. +8 to Development)
[] Skytalon Eagle Feather (3 Points. Wind/Bird Aspected. +6 to Development)
[] The teeth of a Mauler Ape. (1 Point. Beast Aspected. +2 to development.)
[] The hide of a shellrat. (1 Point. Earth Aspected. +2 to development)

[] Heavenly Spyglass(5 Points. Light/Stars Aspected. +10 to Development)
[] Essence of Ill Health (4 Points. Blood/Poison Aspected. +7 to Development)
[] The shards of a Rack (6 Points. Force/Pain Aspected. +12 to Development)
[] A bottled scream. (4 Points. Rage Aspected. +8 to Development)

[] Soot-stained Chimney Brick (3 Points. Fire/Smoke Aspected. +5 to Development)
[] Ironwrought Anvil (4 Points. Force/Iron Aspected. +8 to Development)
[] Freshly-Hewn Obsidian. (2 Points. Light Aspected. +4 to Development)

[] Bottled ash from experiments in the Creator's Garden. (2 Points. Fire Aspected. +3 to development)
[] Scales from a Lightbridge Trout. (1 Point. Water Aspected. +2 to development)

[] A destroyed sculpture. (3 Points. Destruction Aspected. +6 to Development)
[] A curious Signet (6 Points. Royalty Aspected. +11 to Development)
[] A hailstone. (2 Points. Wind Aspected. +3 to development)
[] The bark of a lightning-struck oak. (2 Points. Force Aspected. +4 to Development)

[] Core Geode (5 Points. Earth/Diamond Aspected. +9 to Development)
[] The shreds of a once-fine garment. (6 Points. Blood/Sorrow Aspected. +12 to Development)
[] Timbers from an abandoned wagon. (6 Points. Night Aspected. +11 to Development)

So this is a headache and a half.

I'm rather miffed at Xu Yun about this. We keep his options open, but no, he insist on getting a pure blood charm. Prick. Maybe we can flex the Artisan know's best card? Maybe next time we can insist that keeping options open will probably lead to a better product.

Yellow are materials that are interesting enough to warrant consideration, but do not key into any of our current projects. They are best sent home.
Blue are materials that will work for Xu Yun.
Red are materials that do not key into projects and are not special enough to warrant consideration.
Green are materials that could potentially work with our current Mind/Hunger/Acid materials for Kong Zhi's personal charm.

Also just saw the Discovery pill. And the Destruction Aspect item.

Kinda want to channel Knowledge and Discovery. See tmwaht happens.

Servants Step with Earth, Water and Mud.
Soldiers Step with initial Smoke, Steel and taking it with Time.
Initial phase for the next cycling with Knowledge and Discovery?

Really grinding all the Crafter Artist Anam.

I mean between Mud and Smoke we have the four basic elements covered in a crafting type mix. With Steel and Time we have the construction part done.

With Knowledge and Discovery we could have the Onspiration of item creation done as well. After that peak the next phase by finding that Creation Wonder and cycling it and we should be good...maybe? Or am I puffing something?

What do you guys thing?

I'm rather miffed at Xu Yun about this. We keep his options open, but no, he insist on getting a pure blood charm. Prick. Maybe we can flex the Artisan know's best card? Maybe next time we can insist that keeping options open will probably lead to a better product.
He may well need it for some specific technique or purpose, and stuff other than Blood would screw it up. On the one hand, artisan knows best, but on the other hand if someone asks for Gasoline and you give them E85 (Gas mixed with Ethanol), you might kill their engine.

Wait a minute. Isnt Kong Zhi's Dad working on something big with Shadow Anam right now? Wouldnt Night and Star fit really well with that? I mean just Night would proabably be full Darkeness but with the Star mater as well?

We could keep the Diamond because well that's our speciality right now.

My hope is we can get something that gels well with the Hunger and Acid anam, to make a decent charm for ourselves.

Let's not forget the Wood and Earth pills, on top of the materials for Xu Yun and our father.

The sun-dried herbs would be what to get if we want to preserve action economy while still making our commission. We'd have to spend an action refining, and then more actions making the charm, even if it would
We'd barely get it above failed charm category without refining material though. Not something we should be proud to make.

So, am I the only one eyeing the Force and Destruction charms for an awesome Archer one?

Pickings are good for Defender, too.
Force Pain Rage and Destruction? Sounds more like a one shot weapon that a reusable item. Atleast if we want the maximum bang for our buck.

Also I am sorta for sending home the Star, Royalty and Night reagents. I figure Geodes shouldn't that hard to find for a crafting family so Diamond probably isn't that rare for them.

Ves has confirmed that of we see something rare enough to send home to Dad, it'll be called out in text. I assume the village gacha and exploration are the only ways to find these.

I'm really into the Night material.

I'm torn between refining the impure blood mats, and just making Xu Yun an impure charm.

[] The shreds of a once-fine garment. (6 Points. Blood/Sorrow Aspected. +12 to Development)

[] Soldier's Requiem (9 Points. Grade 2 Earth Pill)
[] Woodsman's Respite (7 Points. Grade 1 Wood Pill)

[] Heavenly Spyglass(5 Points. Light/Stars Aspected. +10 to Development)
[] Timbers from an abandoned wagon. (6 Points. Night Aspected. +11 to Development)

[] Mundane Travel Supplies (5 Points)

This is what I'm thinking. Materials for our commission, the pills we need for BSA, neat materials for future use, and the big hint travel supplies for when we fix that map, though that last purchase could be delayed if we want to make a charm before the big adventure. Depends on what we learn from fixing the map.

Last edited:
I highly, highly doubt 1-2 Talent mats from the most basic inner sect market are worth sending home.

We will know IC when we have something to send home.

Cycling a bunch of things just dilutes the effects each attunement has.
Time would still be the center piece. But where Smoke and Steel complemented it in the last step for this one Knowledge and Discovery could. Kind exploring the vastness of Time and all that. Seems fitting and complementary with what we have cycled so far is what I feel.

And I feel like the multitude cycling limit is more where they start to infringe on each other like Time and Fate. What's the opposite of Knowledge? Ignorance. Opposite of Discovery? I dont know, Concealment maybe?

Well the second might be a problem if it stops us from using stealth Anam or something but the first shouldn't be a problem right?

Besides Concealment should be opposed to Perception or inquiry or something. Discovery is more finding the unknown not hidden. Soo...mystery maybe? Not sure.

Last edited:
One arm reaches up and swipes at her eyes with a motion so quick that you almost think you imagine it.
For a second, you think she'll leave it at that. But the next thing you know, she's thrown her arm over your shoulder and pulled you into a side-armed hug that's strong enough to make your shoulders creak.
Relationship Gain! Nokai +1!

Nokai (3): A waste barbarian who is very friendly. She doesn't seem like she wants to eat your bones at all!

Awww.

This clearly meant a lot to Nokai. It's interesting to see a more vulnerable side of her. She must be very lonely for her teaching us to be deeply moving to her.

Pills and Elixirs
[] The Light of Battle (7 Points. Grade 1 Steel Elixir)
[] The Essense of Shattering (11 Points. Grade 2 Force Pill)

[] Remnants of the Cleanse (14 Points. Grade 2 Smoke Pill)
[] A Word Illspoken (7 Points. Grade 1 Poison Elixir)
[] Hearthfire's Ember (5 Points. Grade 1 Fire Pill.)
[] Woodsman's Respite (7 Points. Grade 1 Wood Pill)
[] Spider's Serum (11 Points. Grade 2 Beast Elixir)

[] The Seventh Nursemaid (6 Points. Grade 1 Blood Pill)
[] An Eye-Opening Experience (6 Points. Grade 1 Light Pill)
[] Seabreeze (5 Points. Grade 1 Water Pill)
[] A Kiss from Lightning (5 Points. Grade 1 Wind Pill)
[] Wisdom Distilled (14 Points. Grade 2 Knowledge Pill)

[] The East Wind (9 Points. Grade 2 Wind Elixir)
[] The Heart of Stone (5 Points. Grade 1 Earth Pill)

[] Heartbeat (6 Points. Grade 1 Beast Pill)
[] Salvation's Map (14 Points. Grade 2 Discovery Pill)
[] The Curious Reflection (14 Points. Grade 2 Crow Pill)
[] Lasting Remedy (6 Points. Grade 1 Force Pill)

Other
[] A High Quality Weapon (5 Points)
-[] (Write-In Weapon)

[] Mundane Travel Supplies (5 Points)

For completeness sake.

Green is what we need to get. There's only one, the Grade 2 Earth Pill.
Yellow is under consideration depending on what we decide for the material vote.
Red is useless to us now.
Blue is something we will eventually buy but shouldn't right now.

I know that it was supposed to be more animalistic, but I can't shake the idea that Kong Zhi just spent the past however long screaming like a DBZ character as he powered up.

Should get the other Blood/Poison mat, the refined Poison leftover fits right in on our own Acid/Hunger charm.

Reduced potency from refining is also going to make that way less potent.
Isn't this going to be wasted?

I thought the idea was Earth grade 1 + Wood Grade 2, unlocking the first level with the bigger pill which should let the successes overflow. Then another Earth 1 and a Wood 1, again overflowing Wood successes into the next step.

Back