Ship of Fools: A Taylor Varga Omake (Complete)

liking this chapter but not the Tulsa comment.

Nothing against Tulsa. I was really thinking Oklahoma City, which I know from personal experience lacks a certain ethnic and cultural diversity. I changed it to Tulsa on a whim because it sounded better in my head.

As for anybody who thinks these stereotypical American tourists don't exist...I SO wish that weren't true. As an American who's traveled to a number of different countries, there is little that is more embarrassing than seeing other Americans behaving badly. I have heard the "foreigners" comment before, sadly. Note that most Americans don't behave that way, just like most foreign tourists visiting America don't behave like jerks (though I have met a small number of those, too).

Isn't it used as either another dating method or to validate the authenticity of a site? (The second: given a known age the magnetic poles of ferrous objects should both point all in a similar direction and towards the estimated magnetic North Pole for that age. When this is not the case it can be an indication of a disturbed site or planted material.)

I'll cop to this error on my part. Frankly, this was just badly remembered -- I'm not an archaeologist. Yes, magnetism is used as a way of site dating, and specifically verifying ages of different samples from a site. That's done in a lab, however, and would be a very odd thing for somebody with a doctorate in archaeology to comment on. I've changed it in the text after doing a little bit more research.

I'll cop to this error on my part. Frankly, this was just badly remembered -- I'm not an archaeologist. Yes, magnetism is used as a way of site dating, and specifically verifying ages of different samples from a site. That's done in a lab, however, and would be a very odd thing for somebody with a doctorate in archaeology to comment on. I've changed it in the text after doing a little bit more research.
I wonder if Taylor will take this into account when crafting her Ancient City of Horrors Under The Sea™.

As for anybody who thinks these stereotypical American tourists don't exist...I SO wish that weren't true. As an American who's traveled to a number of different countries, there is little that is more embarrassing than seeing other Americans behaving badly. I have heard the "foreigners" comment before, sadly. Note that most Americans don't behave that way, just like most foreign tourists visiting America don't behave like jerks (though I have met a small number of those, too).

Not offense but it has nothing to do with whether they exist or not. It's a poorly written thrown in sentence that can't even go beyond declaring itself a stereotype. They're not described enough to make anyone care about them either way and their interaction basically non existent.

They don't serve any purpose and actively detract from the story while bringing exactly nothing positive to it.

But you do you.

Given how much magnetic north wanders over time no archeologist would ever use it as a foundational measurement. That's first year into class material.
Magnetic north doesn't even stay north, every now and then with no apparent pattern magnetic north and south decide its time to swap places and spend some time hanging out at each other's place. Sometimes they even split into multiple separate magnetic norths and souths for a few centuries or millennia, which flail around wildly all over the place until things calm down again.

Exactly why this happens beyond 'because outer layer of iron core is liquid and liquid moves' is anyone's guess. Models and experiments indicate that it definitely does happen, but magnetohydrodynamics is a stupidly complex field of study and one about which we still know very little.

Honestly, this stuck out like a sore thumb as trying to throw in a stupid trope that is unlikely to be true and doesn't add to the story in any way. Even the dismissive way you refer to them as stereotypes make it clear that not much thought went into writing that. Instead of enriching the scene, it detracts.
Came across as entirely plausible to me; I've personally experienced the 'Racist American Tourist' stereotype multiple times, both on holiday in other countries and at home in 'straya. That particular stereotype is unfortunately one that is well founded in reality.

As to the purpose of the line in the story, I thought it was there so that Daniel could make a 'thick' joke.

Last edited:
I wonder if Taylor will take this into account when crafting her Ancient City of Horrors Under The Sea™.
Its probably a safe bet that human archeologists will have enough issues simply perceiving an Family archeological artifact's actual build (given their extra dimensions) that running comparison tests like that will give totally nonsensical results like 'this artifact is negative two billion years old' or 'the number you are trying to reach is not currently on this plane of existence, please hang up and try your ritual again,'.

As to the purpose of the line in the story, I thought it was there so that Daniel could make a 'thick' joke.

Here is the conversation as I, the author view it:

Sarah: Being a woman scientist puts constraints on how "out there" I can be and still get jobs.
Daniel: Things have changed, and you having been possessed by a Goa'uld makes you more marketable.
Sarah: I'm not really interested in earning a living based on when my body was stolen by a psychopath.
Daniel: Awkward apology. Awkward silence. Attempt to change subject by pointing out that tourists will make the site crowded (i.e., the crowd will get thick).
Sarah: Pun about tourist that is a walking stereotype as a way of agreeing to the subject change while also letting Daniel know she doesn't hold his thoughtless comment against him.

So, yes, there is a purpose in the context of the dialog. I'm...honestly not seeing what's so implausible about this? Am I the only one who makes silly jokes after somebody else puts their foot in their mouth as a way to lighten things up? Did I just fail to convey that what Daniel said was kind of horribly insensitive? Getting taken by a Goa'uld like Osiris seems like it would be a constant living nightmare, and she was working for Anubis, the Goa'uld that makes other Goa'uld go, "whoa, dude, you're taking this evil thing a bit far."

Its probably a safe bet that human archeologists will have enough issues simply perceiving an Family archeological artifact's actual build (given their extra dimensions) that running comparison tests like that will give totally nonsensical results like 'this artifact is negative two billion years old' or 'the number you are trying to reach is not currently on this plane of existence, please hang up and try your ritual again,'.
'And here we have the R'lyehic Transitional Hypercube, retrieved from the Challenger Deep two years ago by an unusually adventurous robotic deep ocean exploration probe. Radiometric dating indicates that it is precisely twenty-six billion years old and was created last Tuesday. Repeated testing has shown that it is always exactly twenty-six billion years old since last Tuesday, regardless of when the test is conducted.'

Last edited:
I'll cop to this error on my part.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I was not criticizing your story, rather using a throwaway comment to editorialize on someone else's post. I thought your chapter was on point, insightful, and mixed well with humour.

I am also not an archeologist and was using some things I had overheard or maybe misunderstood about magnetic field lines in strata and artifacts that could have made your story ideas plausible.

I had some other thoughts but I can't seem to make the private messaging work on SV from my iPad tonight.

As always, love the story and looking forward to more.

Omake: Origin Story
Omake: Origin Story

Ross McLean was the interim director of the National Film Board of Canada. He was not, it should be said, an espionage agent, so when an Officer Smith of the RCMP showed up in his office and asked him to interview somebody under the guise of making a documentary, he felt distinctly nervous about the whole thing. That's why he was dragging his friend Sydney along.

"I'm a film editor, not a director or a writer, Ross," complained Sydney.

Ross waved that away. "I know, Syd. I just want somebody to come along with me. When an officer of the Criminal Investigation Branch asks you do something like this, you do it."

"The war's over, Ross," said Sydney.

"The Germans and the Japanese may have been defeated, but you know everybody's up in arms now over Stalin and the Communists." Down in the United States, there was some senator using the House Un-American Activities Commission to hunt down supposed Communists. Anybody targeted ended up blacklisted whether or not they were actually guilty of anything. Things weren't as bad in the Commonwealth countries, but it still paid to be prudent.

The two men were driving out to a suburb of Toronto to interview a Marvin Blechly. Supposedly, the man claimed he had been abducted by aliens. Ross thought the whole thing was absurd, but there must have been something of interest if the RCMP was interested. When they arrived, Blechly looked for all the world like a typical pensioner. He was well-mannered, and had served with the Canadian Army during the Great War, before coming back and working as a librarian.

"Mr. Blechly, my colleague and I would like to talk to you about the claims you made that you were abducted," began Ross.

Blechly looked askance at them. "You'll think I'm crazy."

Sydney winced in sympathy, and said, "Just tell us the truth as you remember it, sir. We're with the Film Board, and somebody thought there may be a story here worthy of a documentary."

Blechly sat back and sighed. "Well, I was driving home late. My daughter Gladys and her husband had invited me to dinner, you see. Named her after her grandmother, you know? It was wet and rainy, I remember. I must have passed out somehow, because when I woke up..."

Loki looked at his latest test subject. He wasn't terribly impressed, but it was important to take random samples as a baseline. The worldwide conflicts that the humans had recently had may have jump-started their evolution again, so it was worth doing some additional research. There was no telling where the solution to the Asgard's genetic degradation may come from.

Marvin woke up to a bright light shining in his face. His body felt numb, and he couldn't move his head. He found he could move his eyes and speak, however. "Here now, what's the meaning of this? What's going on here?" A...being...moved into the range of his peripheral vision. It was shorter than a man, and had a pale grey skin and bulbous black eyes. It's head seemed disproportionate to its body, and it was completely hairless...and apparently completely naked and genderless, as well.

It spoke to him. "Do not be alarmed. I am simply probing your biological development. You will be returned unharmed after I am done."

That was somewhat alarming. "Hey, I didn't give you permission to probe my...er...development!" he sputtered.

Loki frowned, then sedated his subject. As humans developed, they seemed to get more and more disruptive. He would have to be more cautious in the future. Maybe he should keep them sedated for the duration? Maybe he could use clones so he could keep them for longer periods? He would consider it. Regardless, he quickly finished his scans and returned his subject to the holding room while he prepared to process the next subject.

Ross stared at the old man. "So...you were kidnapped by a grey alien who experimented on you?"

The man glared at Ross. "I told you that you would think I'm crazy!"

"What happened next, Mr. Blechly?" interjected Sydney.

"Well, I woke up in a room. There were maybe a dozen other people in the room. One was an American corporal, but there were a bunch of other folks, and most of them didn't speak English. One looked like a Chinaman. There was a young Italian girl...maybe about seventeen? There were even a couple of Negroes. One of them spoke French and told me he was from Senegal. Nobody knew how they got there or even where we were," said the old man.

"Then the alien just dropped you off back in Canada?" asked Ross.

"No, what happened was that somebody rescued us..."

Daniel Jackson was not happy to find an Asgard vessel cloaked in orbit over this Earth with human life signs on board. He knew exactly what that meant, and he knew who the culprit was. He looked at the scan results. Something about the holding cell on Loki's ship was making it difficult to get a lock onto the occupants. He looked over at Sarah. "I'm going to have to go over there and get them."

She looked concerned. "All right...but be careful, Daniel."

Jackson used the ship's teleporter to appear outside the holding area. He pulled out a device that the Family had just started handing out. It was a very versatile little multitool that was capable of a remarkable number of functions. His immediate use was to open the lock on the door to the room. What appeared to be a simple wall panel slid aside, and he walked into the room, much to the surprise of the occupants.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," he began, "my name is Doctor Jackson, and I'm here to rescue you." He had to repeat himself five times in different languages before everybody understood what he had said. "Come this way. I have to get you outside this cell." The group followed him outside the room, and he asked, "Is this everyone?"

"There was another man...I think he was from Australia?" said the American soldier. "He disappeared when the alien brought back the last person," he said, gesturing at Marvin.

Jackson frowned. "All right, you folks stay here while I go retrieve your fellow prisoner." He was going to have...words...with a certain meddlesome Asgard while he was at it. He pulled out his multitool and used it to open another door in the direction of the ship's labs.

"What's that do?" asked Marvin, curious.

Jackson glanced over at him. "It's a very useful, versatile tool. It can function as a lockpick, a blowtorch, a microscope...even a screwdriver," he said in explanation. "Just stay here. I'll be back in a moment."

The prisoners waited for about fifteen minutes, at which point Jackson came back with a middle-aged Australian man dressed in a business suit. "I'm going to teleport all of you to my ship. Don't panic." There was a flash of light, and then the group of them were in another room. There was a red-haired woman waiting for them there, and Daniel introduced them. "People, this is my companion, Sarah. If you'll give us a moment, we'll see about returning all of you back home again."

Marvin waited as, one-by-one, each of the prisoners left to be returned home. Finally, it was his turn. He was led outside by the Doctor, right beside his car, which was luckily parked safely by the side of the road. He turned back to thank his rescuer, only to open his eyes in shock. The man's spaceship was small...smaller than a city bus. "How did we all fit in THAT?" he asked, shocked.

The Doctor smirked. "It's bigger on the inside."

"Aren't you worried you'll be seen?" asked Marvin, looking around for other traffic.

Daniel shook his head. "Don't worry, there's nobody around. Even if there were, the ship can camouflage itself. Well, I have others to bring home. Good luck!" With that, the man went back into his ship, which disappeared. Marvin finished driving home, then called his daughter to tell her what happened.

Ross looked at the man. "So...some kind of Doctor rescued you with a magical screwdriver, then brought you home in a spaceship that was bigger on the inside than on the out?"

"As I said, I know it sounds crazy," said Blechly in a slightly annoyed tone.

"Thank you for your time, sir," said Sydney, grabbing Ross' arm and pulling him out the door.

On the drive back to the office, Ross was complaining. "Well that was a waste of time. The man's off his nut."

"It was an interesting story, at least," said Sydney. It admittedly wasn't a very plausible one.

Ross scoffed. "If I want speculative fiction, I'll buy a comic book."

* * * * *​

In 1963, Sydney Newman needed an idea for a show to bring in a family audience. He had moved to the UK and joined the BBC, and they needed a show to bridge the gap on Saturday night between Grandstand and Juke Box Jury. A sci-fi serial seemed like just the thing...

:lol:rofl: This is hilarious, it's amazing how close the Doctor's portrayal is to Daniel. I love the bit about the origin of the Sonic Screwdriver.

Last edited:
:lol:rofl: This is hilarious, it's amazing how close the Doctor's portrayal is to Daniel. I love the bit about the origin of the Sonic Screwdriver.

I actually didn't realize until I woke up this morning that I had just proposed Daniel take on the role of a Doctor hopping through time and space with a companion using a ship that was bigger on the inside. I toyed with the idea of making this part of canon...but the real Doctor might get annoyed at that...

I actually didn't realize until I woke up this morning that I had just proposed Daniel take on the role of a Doctor hopping through time and space with a companion using a ship that was bigger on the inside. I toyed with the idea of making this part of canon...but the real Doctor might get annoyed at that...

Or he might be glad for the help. Later incarnations tend to feel a bit harried after all.

Brilliant! *cackles madly*

Doctor Jackson isn't just A doctor, he's The Doctor.
The orriginal, you might say. :evil:

Last edited:
Not sure they met in this instance.

Great Chapter!

FYI, Vala didn't meet Doctor Jackson until season 8, when she high-jacked the Prometheus. In this story, Jackson was redirected to meet Miles just before the start of season 7, and Vala was actually rescued from being the host of Qetesh. She may have run into Daniel on Gaia, and she was retrieved from Hebridan by the robo-SG-1, but she hasn't had nearly the level of interaction with Daniel Jackson that she did in the canon series.

Note that in canon, Vala was freed in 2001 (nearly a year prior to Daniel's death) from Qetesh due to a Tok'ra uprising. She spent time recovering with the Tok'ra after. For some reason, that never happened or was significantly delayed in this version of the Stargate universe, so it was up to the Family to rescue her.

It would be a great continuation of this omake if the real Doctor DID confront Daniel about stealing his theme.

Back