If a dedicated cook would really make our recruits fight better during campaigns then I don't really agree with one being nothing but a luxury. If having a good cook makes our soldiers fight better then it's not really that much different in importance then having good equipment that makes them fight better, or good training that makes them fight better etc,etc. Do we want a unit that's akin to Bretonnian men at arms, or state troops etc,etc.

However like with everything, we need to watch our budget. No point in hiring a cook to make our troops better if the cook is so expensive that we can't afford any troops instead.

Last edited:
At a certain number of troops you either have camp followers that you have control over or those exact same camp followers but no control over them, and cooks are gonna be among those camp followers. The number of troops in question isn't even particularly high.

Damn, it's no wonder the Dawi are nearing extinctions. Elves can be proud and hold grudges, but at least they have more pragmatism! Even if the Asurs didn't have the advantage of a giant island to protect them, I'm pretty sure they would stilll be in a better shape than the Karaz Ankor.
That does explain about the Eonir being very pragmatic when living with The Empire even if they don't have to like it.

I wonder if Eonir had participated during the Great War Against Chaos in Magnus the Pious' forces by working as mercenaries. It's not like he doesn't hire mercenaries to supplement his forces along the way.

It's more that if there's something we're willing to pay a lot for my opinion is that we should be willing to consider doing it ourself. We spend time to get money, so in that regard sufficient monetary savings are worth spending time on if the alternative is spending even more time on getting that money.

I agree with you about stuff like silk sheets and wine, but not necessarily a cook. The difference between them is that stuff like bedsheets and wine are personal goods used for yourself. In contrast you don't hire a cook for just one person, but for a group. As the manager it's more our role to get things that will benefit the entire group but would require pooling our resources to obtain.
I think if we want better food the best bet we have is to hire a halfling battle cook. I wonder if we are late enough in the timeline for the Soup Tank to be hirable.
Also giving it some thought if we move to the Bull's Keep this might be our chance to recruit some ogres to our mercenary company over time given those are relatively common in Ostland.

@Blackout what effect does "Fat of the Land" have on ogres? Even if it doesn't eliminate their hunger as it would with humans and elves if it has some effect maybe we could find some ogres who would be willing to give us a discount on their upkeep in exchange for "Fat of the Land" castings. Otherwise those are probably going to be very expensive to hire.
If I had to hazard a guess "Fat of the Land" is likely to prevent ogres from suffering the physical effects of starvation but would do nothing for their hunger. Ogres are always hungry. Even eating doesn't make them no longer hungry. They want constant huge amounts of food not because they need it to survive, but because they are cursed by the Great Maw to be eternally hungry.

If I had to hazard a guess "Fat of the Land" is likely to prevent ogres from suffering the physical effects of starvation but would do nothing for their hunger. Ogres are always hungry. Even eating doesn't make them no longer hungry. They want constant huge amounts of food not because they need it to survive, but because they are cursed by the Great Maw to be eternally hungry.
When in doubt, blame Dragon Big E's fault for doing the Colony Drop on the Ogres in attempt to smite them than do it the old fashioned way:

View: https://youtu.be/jDXHImQnfew?si=_13LMuF-NiCUINE-

I think if we want better food the best bet we have is to hire a halfling battle cook. I wonder if we are late enough in the timeline for the Soup Tank to be hirable.
I actually proposed it in a DoW, but Blackout said he wasn't sure if he was going with the Soup Tank actually existing, but even if it did exist, the Moot wouldn't be risking someone stealing it by hiring it out.

If a dedicated cook would really make our recruits fight better during campaigns then I don't really agree with one being nothing but a luxury. If having a good cook makes our soldiers fight better then it's not really that much different in importance then having good equipment that makes them fight better, or good training that makes them fight better etc,etc. Do we want a unit that's akin to Bretonnian men at arms, or state troops etc,etc.
Woud a dedicated cook make our troops fight better? We don't know if it would have mechanical effects, or even if they would be worth the cost. I'm pretty sure most mercenary companies don't have a dedicated cook, and they fight pretty well.

That does explain about the Eonir being very pragmatic when living with The Empire even if they don't have to like it.

I wonder if Eonir had participated during the Great War Against Chaos in Magnus the Pious' forces by working as mercenaries. It's not like he doesn't hire mercenaries to supplement his forces along the way.
There's also the fact that the Eonir's strength is around that of an Empire province, not the Empire. The Asurs have an entire continent worth of people and an ocean as shield, ditto for the Druchii, and the Asrai live in an extra magical forest bigger than most duchies, have the Avatar of 2 gods and every tree is potentially going to tear you apart. The Eonir have none of those advantages.

Even if the soup tank exists, we aren't hiring one. They are even rarer than a proper steam tank.

Besides, if it weren't rare, that sounds more like something for a quite large host, not our own hand-picked elites.

There's also the fact that the Eonir's strength is around that of an Empire province, not the Empire. The Asurs have an entire continent worth of people and an ocean as shield, ditto for the Druchii, and the Asrai live in an extra magical forest bigger than most duchies, have the Avatar of 2 gods and every tree is potentially going to tear you apart. The Eonir have none of those advantages.
True, the Eonir may not have the advantages the Asur, Asrai and Druchii have, but they can throw down with the best of them.

Say, would it be crazy if the Eonir got an Elector Count position like the Halflings of the Moot did? They live with the Empire which they might as well take active part of it, to keep an eye on humans and make sure their pragmatic pacts are maintained.

Woud a dedicated cook make our troops fight better? We don't know if it would have mechanical effects, or even if they would be worth the cost. I'm pretty sure most mercenary companies don't have a dedicated cook, and they fight pretty well.

Dedicated halfling cooks act as anti-armor artillery. A halfling Hotpot uses the same rules as a stone thrower but with a range of 36" and deals a S3 hit in the spread that does not allow an armor save. The target at the direct center of the spread takes a S6 hit that does not allow armor save that causes D3 wounds.

This actually makes them a pretty good anti-monster weapon. Turns out getting conked on the head with a red hot metal cauldron filled with boiling soup will take down even pretty big monsters on a solid hit.

@Blackout how do elves and halflings compare to each other as cooks?

That's the interesting thing, no one has actually bothered to test this. According to Blackout if we tested this we could write a legit academic paper to the Tower based on what effect it would have on ogres.

Though if your guess is right, then I wonder what would happen if we cast Peace (tier 3 Ghyran) on an ogre together with Fat of the Land. Would the latter reduce their physical need to eat while the former their sense of hunger?

@Blackout do the effects of Peace also eliminate feelings of hunger? How long does the spell's effect last?

Alternatively maybe we could Curse Break on the ogres. Find a troll of as similar dimensions to the ogre as possible and transfer the hunger from the ogre to the troll.
Woud a dedicated cook make our troops fight better? We don't know if it would have mechanical effects, or even if they would be worth the cost.
Blackout had this to say:
Sure, if that's what you want to spend your actions on.

And you wouldn't be able to do so on campaign, when a tasty meal would have the best effect.
So yeah, it does sound like dedicated cook could make our troops function better in battle.
I'm pretty sure most mercenary companies don't have a dedicated cook, and they fight pretty well.
How would you even know? For all we know a dedicated cook is actually pretty common among the more successful mercenaries because mercenaries work for money and being able to eat well is considered a perk of being able to do the job well. It's not like we did a survey of other mercenary companies to see what their camp followers include.

Also in general, saying that some people do without is a bit of a silly argument. There are also people in Warhammer who go to war equipped with nothing but a pitchfork and with barely any training. That you can go to battle with less doesn't mean that there would be no benefit to having more.

Last edited:
True, the Eonir may not have the advantages the Asur, Asrai and Druchii have, but they can throw down with the best of them.

Say, would it be crazy if the Eonir got an Elector Count position like the Halflings of the Moot did? They live with the Empire which they might as well take active part of it, to keep an eye on humans and make sure their pragmatic pacts are maintained.
That's the thing, the Eonir don't consider themselves beholden to anyone.

They don't bend the knee before the Emperor, the Phoenix King nor anyone else. The Eonir are an independent power and refuse to acknowledge, that their realm is part of the Empire of Man. If the humans don't like it, they are most welcome to try and enforce their claim. So far it hasn't worked.

Last edited:

That's the interesting thing, no one has actually bothered to test this. According to Blackout if we tested this we could write a legit academic paper to the Tower based on what effect it would have on ogres.

Though if your guess is right, then I wonder what would happen if we cast Peace (tier 3 Ghyran) on an ogre together with Fat of the Land. Would the latter reduce their physical need to eat while the former their sense of hunger?

@Blackout do the effects of Peace also eliminate feelings of hunger? How long does the spell's effect last?

Alternatively maybe we could Curse Break on the ogres. Find a troll of as similar dimensions to the ogre as possible and transfer the hunger from the ogre to the troll.

Blackout had this to say:

So yeah, it does sound like dedicated cook could make our troops function better in battle.

How would you even know? For all we know a dedicated cook is actually pretty common among the more successful mercenaries because mercenaries work for money and being able to eat well is considered a perk of being able to do the job well. It's not like we did a survey of other mercenary companies to see what their camp followers include.

Also in general, saying that some people do without is a bit of a silly argument. There are also people in Warhammer who go to war equipped with nothing but a pitchfork and with barely any training. That you can go to battle with less doesn't mean that there would be no benefit to having more.
Dogs of War are the only army roster to have dedicated cooks as actual army units. I would imagine that dedicated cooks are actually pretty common.

In fact, I would go as far as to think that MOST order faction armies have dedicated cooks for their armies as part of the baggage train all armies are required to have to simply function. Dogs of War are just the only army where said cooks get involved in fighting rather than stay back with the washer women and baggage handlers.

We have an example of a divine curse in canon, and it pretty solidly trumped all efforts to suppress it, although it was possible to temporarily soften its effects with incredibly powerful potions and the blessing of a different god. So I would wager that "reduce" is the sincere best we could hope for with ogres.

We have an example of a divine curse in canon, and it pretty solidly trumped all efforts to suppress it, although it was possible to temporarily soften its effects with incredibly powerful potions and the blessing of a different god. So I would wager that "reduce" is the sincere best we could hope for with ogres.
Or we can shove an elemental into them and possibly circumvent the curse by turning them into non-ogres.

That curse is for a handful of people though. It might be that being spread out across an entire species could mean that individual people with it are hit with less oomph.

Though the Curse of Khaine being mitigatable does give some reason to hope that the maw's effect on ogres might be as well.

That curse is for a handful of people though. It might be that being spread out across an entire species could mean that individual people with it are hit with less oomph.

Though the Curse of Khaine being mitigatable does give some reason to hope that the maw's effect on ogres might be as well.
I mean, you can mitigate the curse on an Ogre too. You just need to feed them constantly huge amounts of food.

Dedicated halfling cooks act as anti-armor artillery. A halfling Hotpot uses the same rules as a stone thrower but with a range of 36" and deals a S3 hit in the spread that does not allow an armor save. The target at the direct center of the spread takes a S6 hit that does not allow armor save that causes D3 wounds.

This actually makes them a pretty good anti-monster weapon. Turns out getting conked on the head with a red hot metal cauldron filled with boiling soup will take down even pretty big monsters on a solid hit.
So flat out worse than a regular stone thrower.

That would implicitly make them subordinate to the Emperor and subjects of the Empire.

The Eonir have spent the better part of two thousand years fighting to keep their realm independent of the Empire.

Fanriel has never met a halfling in her life, let alone eaten their food.

Yes. A few minutes.

Fanriel has never met a halfling in her life, let alone eaten their food.

Though I imagine that between the Colonist trait and her vocation as a loremaster she's probably familiar with how the Empire's halflings managed to obtain the moot by bribing the emperor with a particularly tasty meal. She might even be familiar with how food tourism is apparently a major industry in the moot.

@Blackout if we were to get acquitaned with halflings cooks, could we write a paper to the tower about their methods and what makes their cooking so famed?

Back