I remember the RPG has something about familiars, constructs or at times living beings connected to the mage's soul. When creating a familiar on the RP you roll for the possibility of getting certain perks as part of the familiar bond. Those include stuff like a connection that allows the master and familiar to communicate telepathically through long distances or for the master to see through the familiars eyes.

If we really want scouts we could see about trying to get some inconspicuous bird or small animal to act as our familiar. Pretty sure that's what the Chaos forces were doing when they were spying on us with that raven.

Last edited:
In general the problem with animal scouts is getting any sort of mental feedback from them. Familiars are only a one of and even then the telepathic bond is only a maybe.

If we want scouts the simplest answer is likely in fact humans familiar with the terrain in question.

Beast Form is Fanriel herself transforming into desired animal form, not taming/controlling other animals.

Admittedly, this creates another problem - She has to perform reconnaissance herself and getting information back to swordmasters or our client remains a problem and she can't cast in animal form.

Beast Form is Fanriel herself transforming into desired animal form, not taming/controlling other animals.

Admittedly, this creates another problem - She has to perform reconnaissance herself and getting information back to swordmasters or our client remains a problem and she can't cast in animal form.
that and the risks
it would be embarrassing to be taken out by a perfectly normal predator because we were scouting in the body of its prefered prey

But humans are stinkyyyyyyyy come on maaaaaaan why do we have to hire lame humans when we could do overcomplicated magic instead?????

I mean familiars can be pretty handy. Aside from not having the upkeep costs of troops and having the potential to be good spies as seemingly ordinary and potentially flying animals, I think one of the potential perks you could roll for your familiar in the RP is getting a moderate bonus to your casting when having the familiar at your side. I'll see if I can find the part in the RP books that mentions it.

Last edited:
that and the risks
it would be embarrassing to be taken out by a perfectly normal predator because we were scouting in the body of its prefered prey
Fanriel Drangleic, 289 years old.

Cause of death: stupidity eaten by a small cat while perched on a branch.

We would be the laughingstock of every soul in Hoeth's afterlife.

Well, as long as the vamp stuff in DoDA is at least tolerable for you >.> . I'd hate for it to detract from your experience in reading my stuff too much. Appreciate the compliment though <.<

And in turn, your writing of action and evocative language is exquisite, especially with the most recent fight. I love the gravity and grace you weave into the elves.

Besides, existing in Night's Dark Masters or no, what fits or doesn't fit for the quest is wholly up to you and that should be fine for everyone.

And anyway, I'm the one that messed up when I was researching her lore anyhow and by the time I realized my mistakes (like with Laurelorn) I sorta just rolled with it. Sooo much of what I did with her is basically made up whole cloth, and other stuff I did with vamps too. But the fun thing about Warhammer and it's so many editions is, again, GMs get to pick and choose what they use as they like.
Genevieve and Johanna in DoDA do clash with my takes on Vampires, but it doesn't bother me that much because, as you say, Warhammer is just one of those settings where every fan author by necessity has to have their own take on the world and its lore, I can also compartmentalize the whole thing and understand that my take is just that, my take. Despite nominally being set in the same universe two different people can portray it very differently.

And even if those two aren't my favorite parts of DoDA, I still loved the Cathay chapters simply for the rich worldbuilding which I found to be much more interesting than GW's "I can't believe it's not the God-Emperor and the Primarchs all over again" take on Cathay.

I mean, just look at how they're already retroactively doing stuff IRL with the whole Old World stuff.
The Old World gets to be an authoritative source on the lore when it stops pretending that everyone else forgot how to use the Winds just because the Empire didn't have proper wizards back then. :mad:

Last edited:
Familiars
So, since there was some discussion about Familiars, I thought I might as well make a post on what Fanriel knows about them, and how they work in Mercenary Mage Quest.

Familiars are a type of magical creature bonded to a wizard, connected with a symbiotic magical bond that links their souls together. In canon, the Colleges of Magic use 'homunculi', purpose-built constructs personally crafted by the wizards to suit their needs, but the elven version of the ritual honours Kurnous and they use it exclusively with animals.

So, how does one acquire a familiar? Not just any animal will do, obviously. The elves believe that suitable familiars are marked by Kurnous, and can be recognized by the touch of his power upon them. Kurnous may set such an animal on your path, or you can pray to the Horned God and head into the wilderness to seek one.

Besides that, there are no known limits to what animals can enter into a familiar bond. Fanriel knows that the elves of Chrace do so with Chracian Lions and the Cothiqueans have a tradition of bonding with Sea Serpents and Merwyrms, and there is a long-standing theory that Dragonriders enter into a familiar bond with their steeds, though as ever the Caledorians remain extremely tight-lipped about the topic.

Now, the first and most important part to understand is that the ritual requires mutual consent. Obviously, an animal can't truly make an informed decision to enter into a familiar bond, but they can't be forced into it. The familiar bond is a magical extension of the emotional bond between two individual beings, and that requires it to work from both ends. It is possible to magically bind animals against their will, but that goes beyond the scope of the term 'familiar', and whooo boy do the elves have some bad history in that regard.

Therefore, a period of emotional bonding is necessary for the familiar bond to become possible. It is impossible to say how long this takes, the elves believe that it is up to Kurnous, they just 'know' when the bond is ready for the ritual. The ritual itself is nothing special, it merely involves the familiar and mage working together to accomplish some kind of mutually beneficial task while strengthening the bond with magic. Traditionally this takes the form of hunting together and sharing the kill, but other variations are possible depending on the exact nature of the relationship and personalities of the pair.

So, what happens once the bond is complete? At first, not much, other than getting a cool animal friend. Mundane animals gain a spark of intelligence beyond what their species is normally capable of, and the pair tend to become very in-tune with one another. At first, this isn't even necessarily anything outright supernatural, both sides of the bond just tend to know what the other means and wants, despite not truly understanding each other's communications.

Where the bond develops from there is up to you and your familiar. If you hunt together, with your familiar seeking out prey for you, you might develop the ability to see through their eyes. If you fight together, you might develop the ability to communicate wordlessly and synchronize in combat. If you cast magic alongside your familiar, the bond can serve as a source of magical power as well as willpower. This evolution can also be directed with practice and training.

At the extreme end, Fanriel has even heard of cases of mages telepathically communicating with their familiars across the world, casting spells through them, familiars obtaining various magical physical traits, and mages becoming able to take on physical or mental characteristics of their familiars like somebody with an eagle-familiar being able to see as far and as sharply as an eagle, or someone with a bear familiar becoming as strong as one.

Familiars, if the bond is formed while still adolescent, will grow up to the physical prime of their species, almost always being exceptional examples of their kind, and then stop aging. They will never die of old age while the bond remains in place. The bond can be voluntarily severed by either party, or through their death, which is invariably a traumatic experience. Both sides cease to be able to actively access the bond's effects, though they may retain certain magical traits from it. Familiars whose bond has been severed start to age normally, though they can bond with another mage later.

Finally, it is possible to bond with multiple familiars, though there may be side-effects. The elves theorize that there is a practical limit, but nobody is too eager to endanger their soul by finding out where it lies. Bonding with multiple familiars tends to be easier if there is some kind of connection between the animals, like bonding with a pack of wolves.

Last edited:
"Familiar" does not have negative connotations in Eltharin. I did experiment with calling them "companions" or something, but that felt awkward.

You may note that at no point in the description did I call the caster of the ritual "master". This is because to the elves it's not a master-servant relationship, but rather a symbiotic partnership. If other people (coughCathayanscough) view it differently, that is simply a matter of culture clash.

Last edited:
So, what happens once the bond is complete? At first, not much, other than getting a cool animal friend. Mundane animals gain a spark of intelligence beyond what their species is normally capable of, and the pair tend to become very in-tune with one another. At first, this isn't even necessarily anything outright supernatural, both sides of the bond just tend to know what the other means and wants, despite not truly understanding each other's communications.
Hmmm...

*Looks at Joachim the Lucky and his unusually intelligent griffon*

Hmm...

*Shuffles paper* *Erases something* *Scribbles between lines*

*Holds up sheet*

Joachim the Lucky
Prowess: 14
Learning: 2
Magic: 0 ?
Stewardship:10
Martial: 11
Peity: 8
Diplomacy: 8

Hmmm... Nah.

*Erases something else*

I mean, you're sort of flat-out ignoring that Blackout specifically called it out as not being very useful without other battle magic to boost. To quote:

So, there's that.

He said that it would be limited right now but as was made clear Throne of Vines boosts all Lore of Live Spells so that should include ones that are Tier 3 for example which could still be useful for the spells we do have.

Fanriel Drangleic, 289 years old.

Cause of death: stupidity eaten by a small cat while perched on a branch.

We would be the laughingstock of every soul in Hoeth's afterlife.

"That's why you take the form of a large eagle not a small sparrow my young student" said one of Fanriel's old teachers at some point I am sure.

Last edited:
So, since there was some discussion about Familiars, I thought I might as well make a post on what Fanriel knows about them, and how they work in Mercenary Mage Quest.

Familiars are a type of magical creature bonded to a wizard, connected with a symbiotic magical bond that links their souls together. In canon, the Colleges of Magic use 'homunculi', purpose-built constructs personally crafted by the wizards to suit their needs, but the elven version of the ritual honours Kurnous and they use it exclusively with animals.

So, how does one acquire a familiar? Not just any animal will do, obviously. The elves believe that suitable familiars are marked by Kurnous, and can be recognized by the touch of his power upon them. Kurnous may set such an animal on your path, or you can pray to the Horned God and head into the wilderness to seek one.

Besides that, there are no known limits to what animals can enter into a familiar bond. Fanriel knows that the elves of Chrace do so with Chracian Lions and the Cothiqueans have a tradition of bonding with Sea Serpents and Merwyrms, and there is a long-standing theory that Dragonriders enter into a familiar bond with their steeds, though as ever the Caledorians remain extremely tight-lipped about the topic.

Now, the first and most important part to understand is that the ritual requires mutual consent. Obviously, an animal can't truly make an informed decision to enter into a familiar bond, but they can't be forced into it. The familiar bond is a magical extension of the emotional bond between two individual beings, and that requires it to work from both ends. It is possible to magically bind animals against their will, but that goes beyond the scope of the term 'familiar', and whooo boy do the elves have some bad history in that regard.

Therefore, a period of emotional bonding is necessary for the familiar bond to become possible. It is impossible to say how long this takes, the elves believe that it is up to Kurnous, they just 'know' when the bond is ready for the ritual. The ritual itself is nothing special, it merely involves the familiar and mage working together to accomplish some kind of mutually beneficial task while strengthening the bond with magic. Traditionally this takes the form of hunting together and sharing the kill, but other variations are possible depending on the exact nature of the relationship and personalities of the pair.

Where the bond develops from there is up to you and your familiar. If you hunt together, with your familiar seeking out prey for you, you might develop the ability to see through their eyes. If you fight together, you might develop the ability to communicate wordlessly and synchronize in combat. If you cast magic alongside your familiar, the bond can serve as a source of magical power as well as willpower. This evolution can also be directed with practice and training.

At the extreme end, Fanriel has even heard of cases of mages telepathically communicating with their familiars across the world, casting spells through them, familiars obtaining various magical physical traits, and mages becoming able to take on physical or mental characteristics of their familiars like somebody with an eagle-familiar being able to see as far and as sharply as an eagle, or someone with a bear familiar becoming as strong as one.

Familiars, if the bond is formed while still adolescent, will grow up to the physical prime of their species, almost always being exceptional examples of their kind, and then stop aging. They will never die of old age while the bond remains in place. The bond can be voluntarily severed by either party, or through their death, which is invariably a traumatic experience. Both sides cease to be able to actively access the bond's effects, though they may retain certain magical traits from it. Familiars whose bond has been severed start to age normally, though they can bond with another mage later.

Finally, it is possible to bond with multiple familiars, though there may be side-effects. The elves theorize that there is a practical limit, but nobody is too eager to endanger their soul by finding out where it lies. Bonding with multiple familiars tends to be easier if there is some kind of connection between the animals, like bonding with a pack of wolves.

Very very interesting, when we have time and actions maybe we should go and search for a Familiar.

Maybe in a region with interesting animals, i am not sure if Kislev or the Empire are better for that.

Very very interesting, when we have time and actions maybe we should go and search for a Familiar.

Maybe in a region with interesting animals, i am not sure if Kislev or the Empire are better for that.

Depends. A familiar bond seems like it'd be best either with a small inconspicuous animal which we can use as a spy as well as have with us in battle without other people being able to immediately notice that it's a familiar, like some sort of mundane bird, or a mount which we want to carry us into battle anyway.

The former can probably be gotten more or less anywhere. The latter is a bit more tricky.

Something like a leopard or a bear seems like a poor choice though. It won't have the defense of being hard to notice like a smaller animal, but won't be as powerful and hard to kill as some fantastic mounts such as Demigryphs , Pegasi, Griffons Hippogryphs etc,etc.

Last edited:
Something like a leopard or a bear seems like a poor choice though. It won't have the defense of being hard to notice like a smaller animal, but won't be as powerful and hard to kill as some fantastic mounts such as Demigryphs , Pegasi, Griffons Hippogryphs etc,etc.
I mean, Kislevite Bears are supposed to be a lot bigger and powerful than regular bears. Just look at the War Bears they use for elite monstrous cavalry.

I mean, Kislevite Bears are supposed to be a lot bigger and powerful than regular bears. Just look at the War Bears they use for elite monstrous cavalry.

Well my first thought is wondering how they compare with demigryphs which we could possibly get in the empire, but fair enough. If we're talking about bears which can make worthwhile mounts in battle then that's something of a different matter.

In terms of non notable familiars a crow seems like it'd be pretty good. It can fly, which is obviously good for a spy familiar, it should be a common bird in a lot of the world, so seeing one would hopefully not raise any red flags by other people, and importantly, it's a carrion eater, so having one flying around over a battle field could be explained as it just looking for meals.

Back