On the other hand, dragons are already incredibly fast and tough and so extremely dangerous for aerial foes, and there's few enemies who can threaten a dragon in flight. Their rider not using Azyr wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.
On the third hand, Aqshy's attribute is that having more fire around makes it easier to cast fire spells, and dragons happen to have an infinite amount of it to breath at their enemies. Against masses of infantry and cavalry, the breath of a dragon boosting exponentially the fire spells of its rider would be an absolutely massive advantage compared to using Azyr spells on the few flyers the enemy has.

When Malekith is invading Caledor, Imrik manages to summon a flight of dozens, if not hundreds, of dragons to attack his invasion force. Malekith gets wounded in a melee fighting Imrik and proceeds to retreat. Several dragons attempt to pursue, but Malekith kills them all with magic while they fail to catch up.

Remember how when comparing dragons against Carnosaurs, blackout mentioned that while a Carnosaur could theoretically defeat a dragon in melee, in practice since the latter flies and the former doesn't victory would inevitably go to the latter who could just fire breath at the Carnosaur while the Carnosaur wouldn't be able to hit back?

You could presumably do the same when fighting a dragon with Azyr. Azyr's very lore attribute harms enemy flight ability, but there's also Curse of the Midnight Wind, which is a major spoiler to enemy flight. Added to that is that as an actual lightning bolt, Uranon's Thunderbolt is undodgeable. Consequently with those you could basically do to a dragon what a dragon does to a carnosaur if your flying mount is fast enough. That's basically how Malekith got the pursuit of him called off.

Perhaps Aqshy casters are better when speaking of fighting non aerial duels, like fighting against enemy armies, but while Aqshy's lore attribute is to get easier to cast the more fire there is around, Azyr's is to spoil enemy flight. In that regard Azyr would really seem like The wind for aerial combat. Which is why I'd imagine that in an order like The Knights of Tor Gaval, with no fire breath to tilt the field, Azyr use would be predominant.

Hell, the description for Asur naval forces mentions how the Asur use flying monsters in naval combat. Imagine spoiling the flight of something by sea. They could end up beaten from drowning.

Last edited:
@Imperious I would like to remind you that the only dragon that has been mentioned in this quest so far was explicitly stated to control lightning. There are also mentions in the lore of dragons breathing lightning instead of fire. Uranon's Thunderbolt is a very, very poor choice of spell to use against an Azyr dragon, probably worst than a fire spell. It'd probably just recharge them like a dragon ogre.

@Imperious I would like to remind you that the only dragon that has been mentioned in this quest so far was explicitly stated to control lightning. There are also mentions in the lore of dragons breathing lightning instead of fire. Uranon's Thunderbolt is a very, very poor choice of spell to use against an Azyr dragon, probably worst than a fire spell. It'd probably just recharge them like a dragon ogre.
I mean Azyr does have spells that spoil enemy flight. It's not just lightning. Still in the case of fighting an Azyr dragon the go to damage spell seems like it'd be Banishment from Hysh. As a "concentrated beam of pure light" it'd probably be no easier to dodge then a lightning bolt.

Last edited:
When Malekith is invading Caledor, Imrik manages to summon a flight of dozens, if not hundreds, of dragons to attack his invasion force. Malekith gets wounded in a melee fighting Imrik and proceeds to retreat. Several dragons attempt to pursue, but Malekith kills them all with magic while they fail to catch up.
None of the dragons are explicitly killed actually. Also, that's during a period when his magical abilities are greatly enhanced due to the Vortex coming undone. Teclis uses that same power to solo an entire army of Druchii, despite their own spellcasters and such.

Also, he's attacking Lothern, not Caledor.

I mean Azyr does have spells that spoil enemy flight. It's not just lightning. Still in the case of fighting an Azyr dragon the go to damage spell seems like it'd be Banishment from Hysh. As a "concentrated beam of pure light" it'd probably be no easier to dodge then a lightning bolt.
...We're dead the first time we run into a dragon aren't we?

It's going to be easily avoidable, entirely unreasonable, and 100% going to happen anyway.

Well, I guess I can just enjoy it while it last.

...We're dead the first time we run into a dragon aren't we?

It's going to be easily avoidable, entirely unreasonable, and 100% going to happen anyway.

Well, I guess I can just enjoy it while it last.
I'd be pretty down with cooperating with a dragon. Like I said, it's my hope we might have one as an employer at some point.

But if nothing else we're probably going to be fighting dragons at least in the GWAC when the Chaos Dragons show up.

Dragon Ogre Shaggoths to.

That's just kind of the things that show up in an invasion lead by an everchosen.

Last edited:
Second Downtime Phase: Part 3
[] The Knights of the Bull

You are, in the end, quite grateful that you did not even attempt to experiment with the Elementals onboard the Yellowknife, instead heading into the wilderness surrounding Erengrad while you await the response from the Knights of the Bull.

Lesser Aqshy Elementals are humanoid swirls of fire, with recognizable heads and arms but lacking legs. They are not particularly strong or tough, and while their flames might spark fires occasionally they do not offer any meaningful advantages in combat, not even hot enough to be uncomfortable to stand near.

What is far more interesting is what happens when they perish, either from damage or upon being commanded to do so. When the vortex at the core of the Elemental is sufficiently disrupted it unravels all at once, the raging power of the Red Wind unleashed in a suitably impressive explosion. You cannot claim to be an expert on such matters, but it seems comparable to some of the smaller blackpowder mortars used by the humans.

Of course, the detonation is indiscriminate in the destruction it unleashes, and a savvy enemy could trigger it with ranged attacks. Nonetheless, the Elementals should be highly effective against tightly-packed enemies and at disrupting formations, as long as it can reach the enemy.

Hysh Elementals, on the other hand, are blocky golems of translucent crystal, squat and angular in their form. They bear two tubular arms through which they are able to channel the cleansing light flowing within them, emerging as beams of burning energy. They are not hugely effective in piercing armour, leaving only small scorchmarks in the boulder you order them to shoot, but it should kill a man if it hits something vital, and if not ignite their clothes at the very least. Though you lack the means to test it, you also believe that they should be particularly effective against undead and daemons.

Ulgu Elementals are difficult to perceive unless in direct light, resembling indistinct figures of thin smoke when exposed to sufficient illumination. It would be a stretch to call them assassins, for like other Elementals they lack all concept of subtlety, but they would be terrifying foes to fight at night, when the man next to you suddenly has his throat torn out by invisible claws.

Shyish Elementals are… eerily reminiscent of undead, to the point that you are glad there is no-one around to witness them and accuse you of Necromancy. They look like ragged black cloaks floating through the air, the frayed edges of fabric uncaring of the wind, but underneath the stooped hoods there is nothing but darkness. From within the folds of the cloak droop long iron chains, which seem to move of their own accord, rattling and shifting like serpents. It is these that they use to attack, strangling their victims to death and feeding upon the Shyish that is drawn to a mortal soul departing from its body.

Where the other Elementals will eventually dissipate unless continuously fed more of their constituent Wind by a spellcaster, Lesser Shyish Elementals are capable of sustaining themselves indefinitely so long as they keep on killing, even repairing damage to their forms.

Lastly, Chamon Elementals are golems of solid iron, squat and flat in aspect, their bodies consisting of interlocking metal plates. Whilst every bit as durable as that description implies and reasonably strong, they are abominably slow and the limited range of rotation on their limbs makes them awkward fighters, to the point that even a human should have little trouble avoiding their lumbering blows. Whilst the Ghyran Elementals at least have the ability to threaten and occupy the enemy's attention, the Chamon Elementals your foe could simply ignore for the most part. Instead, their bulky bodies make for perfect cover to hide from missiles, like mobile siege pavaises.

-----

You also spend what time you can at the shrine of Lileath, meditating and attempting to center yourself. The center of the shrine is a large, serene water pool, the image of the moon reflected onto the mirror-calm surface of the water at all times of the day by the elaborate rotating glass system built into the ceiling.

There is a soft enchantment in the air, muffling the voices of anyone standing more than a few feet away, giving the shrine a peaceful and contemplative atmosphere. The attendant priest is a bearded old elf in white robes, leaving you alone most of the time and only greeting you with a curt nod each time you enter. He walks around the shrine, speaking to those who wish to get things off their chest, while leaving those who just need a bit of quiet to their own devices.

[97+25(Fanriel Piety)+20(Student of the Dreams)=147/100]

You number among the latter.

You sit cross-legged on the stone floor of the shrine, and allow yourself to drift off into a meditative trance. When you open your eyes the shrine is gone, replaced by the featureless white fog of your dreamscape.

After the Siege of the Holy Flame, after… everything, you had sought the Maiden's guidance finding the strength to carry on. You had learned the arts of meditation and focusing yourself, allowing you to figure out what is truly bothering you, and then address it.

In your mind's eye, Dorial's gaunt figure coalesces from the fog. Even now, a pang of guilt stabs at your chest.

That is the heart of the matter, isn't it?

It is not as though you haven't led your men to their deaths before. Thousands of elves have perished under your command. But they died for a righteous cause, defending Ulthuan and the world. Not because you dragged them into exile with you.

But allowing yourself to spiral as you did? Contemplating the offer of the Bloody-Handed One?

What would Dorial say, if he was awake? Well, you know he would say, the absolute bore that he is.

"You are our Loremaster, our leader," his voice speaks, conjured by your imagination. "You must keep a clear head, in order to make the right choices. The sword is only as strong as the hand that wields it."

But beyond that, you think… he would say that you didn't drag them anywhere. The Swordmasters did not share your sentence- something that Finubar made quite clear, despite the objections of some of the Princes. And even if they felt no longer welcome on Ulthuan, they could be anywhere else on the planet other than here with you.

You remember Beren saying how easily you could have found any other vocation besides that of a sellsword. The same- no, it applies even moreso to the Swordmasters. They could walk to the shrine of Hoeth at any moment and request reassignment. The White Tower has already shown it is more than happy to comply.

To say that you dragged them here is to disrespect their own agency. They chose this life.

And allowing your judgement to be compromised is putting them at further risk.

-Two Insanity Points removed.

-----

When you are leaving the Shrine of Lileath one day, you find yourself faced with an unexpected sight at the temple doors.

A male elf stands there, clad in white and red robes, symbols of the eye woven into silk with gold thread, while a staff capped with what looked like an enormous diamond carved into the likeness of a phoenix sits in his right hand.

These are the vestments of a Priest of Asuryan.

"Loremaster Fanriel," he addresses you, bowing his head politely- not the courtly nod of a priest addressing his flock, but a greeting between equals, one priest to another.

If you were less in control of yourself your eyebrows would be touching the ceiling.

"Honoured Keeper of the Flame," you respond with a matching bow, fractionally more deferential as is appropriate when addressing the servants of the Emperor of Heavens.

"Please, call me Ryadhin," he waves you off. "I get enough of that, these days."

Though an elf's age cannot usually be gleaned from their physical appearance, his manner of speaking, the way he moves, the glint in his eyes… they all speak of youth. Younger than you. Perhaps not even out of his first century, despite how impossible that seems.

The effect is… disorientating.

"You must be wondering why I am bothering to speak with a disgraced exile."

"That is so."

You are not foolish enough to attempt to lie to a servant of the God of Justice and Truth.

"Despite what you may think, not all Asur wish to see your endeavours here fail," Ryadhin explains. "You have erred, and been justly punished. Yet you wear your sentence with grace, and have chosen to spend it fighting the Great Enemy here in the north. What more could be expected of you? I wish you only success."

"You have my thanks," you say slowly, still a little wary.

"Yet, I suppose, even that does not explain why I am here. You are of the Blood, and madness runs in your veins. The irreverent say that when a descendant of the Defender is born, Morai-Heg flips a coin."

You stay silent. Of this, you are all acutely aware.

"But you choose to fight this fate. That is why you are here, are you not? To find serenity in the arms of the Maiden," he inclines his head towards the shrine of Lileath. "That, too, is commendable of you, to not fall into despair, to take action. Asuryan does not wish for any of his creations to fall down the path of darkness. Again, it is my sincere hope that you do not disappoint him."

"Is my fate not already written upon the walls of the Chamber of Days, regardless of what I do?" you respond slightly caustically.

"Have you seen them?"

It is the most rhetorical question you have ever heard. None may behold Asuryan's sacred prophecies without being bound by an unbreakable vow of silence, never to reveal the future they have seen.

"No, I have not."

"Neither have I," Ryadhin says with a light smile. "So then, what does it matter if our fates are preordained? Asuryan knows what choices we will make, because those are the choices we would make in that situation. If you do not know what decision you are to make, then the decision is still your own."

You digest his words for a moment.

"You are… unlike any other priest of the Creator I have met."

"And have you met many of us?"

"Once."

"Ah, I suppose that was unfair of me," he smiles apologetically. "But I did not meet you just to discuss philosophy. I have something for you."

He reaches forward to hand you a scroll, which you accept with another bow. As you unfurl it it reveals a map of Kislev and the northern Old World, with markers spread out across the landscape.

"These are the places where we elves once paid our respects to the gods- those that survived three and a half thousand years of absence, that is. Most are little more than ruins, tended to by none but the occasional wanderer passing through. But they are places where even the most wayward sons and daughters of Ulthuan may find the light of the Cadai, as they travel the Elthin Arvan."

You feel a pang of emotion as you look down at the map, before rolling it shut.

"Thank you. Truly."

"You are welcome," Ryadhin smiles. "If you require aid in the matters of the spirit, the Shrine of the Creator is open to all of his children."

With that, he steps past you, walking towards the center of the temple.

-----

When you return to the inn you have been staying at, you find the representative of the Knights of the Bull waiting for you with a chest of gold, a steel-armoured knight with an impressively waxed moustache.

-Demigryph egg lost.
-600GC gained.
-Major Favour with the Knights of the Bull gained.

You could cash in on the goodwill you have earned from the trade now, or let it sit and call upon them later. You cannot ask for materiel or gold, for that was the whole reason behind the deal you struck, and you do not yet have a contract that you could call upon their forces to help you fulfill.

But there is at least one option available to you: the Chapterhouse of the Knights of the Bull in Ostland sits half-empty due to the Order's poor financial situation. You could ask to be housed there as guests, sparing you the expense of paying for inns, and with Shadowsteed you could travel to Erengrad as needed to conduct your business here. It would mean having to pay for the road and border tolls between Erengrad and the Chapterhouse, but you should be able to negotiate an agreement with the tollkeepers if you are going to be traveling back and forth regularly.

Or you could just sit on the favour and call it in when you need it most.

-Decide what, if anything, you will do with the favour owed to you by the Knights of the Bull.
-If you decide to use it to find lodgings in the Chapterhouse, you will save the money you have allocated to upkeep for your remaining actions (200GC), and move to the Chapterhouse. You will finish your remaining actions either there, or travelling from there to Erengrad. You will have to spend some amount of gold on tolls, exact numbers depending on rolls, but less than what you would spend on lodgings in Erengrad. Once the favour has been called in, you and the Swordmasters (not any others you recruit) can freely stay and visit at the Chapterhouse whenever you wish in the future.
-You may suggest write-in options within reason, subject to my approval.
-12 hours Moratorium because I'm going to sleep soon and I want to have a chance to answer questions before the voting begins.

[] You will ask to stay in the Chapterhouse of the Knights of the Bull.
[] You will hold on to the favour for now.
[] Write-In.

Last edited:
I think we should take it.

A. It's a really good deal.
B. It will allow us to build up relations and opportunities in Kislev and with the Knights.
C. If we choose to not use the favor immediately it's unlikely we'll ever use it, torn by indecision. I've seen happen before.

Frankly, I feel like most alternative favors we even WOULD spend it on are going to be accessible via "build up a relationship with them because we're basically roommates, and just negotiate a fair price."

A usage for Chamon Elementals that isn't mentioned but seems worth considering: hallway and tunnel fights. If your men are pressed together, it being slow barely matters. It can also theoretically be used for formation breaking on the defense. A few of these and either they kill a lot of people, or the formation has to break up to allow the men to dodge.

Basically, anywhere the enemy are packed tight and the elementals don't have to move, they can probably do some useful stuff.

On the favor, I'm cool with the free lodgings, though I'm not super invested. I think it's either that or save the favor and the free lodgings do look a bit more appealing.

By the way, notice that despite such a fantastic roll, we only removed 2 points instead of all 3.

I get this feeling, that an average roll could very well remove but one point and we would have to meditate multiple times per downtime should those points start to accumulate.

The shrine was never certain to remove any Insanity. It was listed as having a high chance of doing so, but was not certain...the only certain Insanity reducer was spending a bunch of money on debauchery. But yeah, I'm glad we got out in front of the insanity issue.

Last edited:
By the way, notice that despite such a fantastic roll, we only removed 2 points instead of all 3.

I get this feeling, that an average roll could very well remove but one point and we would have to meditate multiple times per downtime should those points start to accumulate.
That's because we got more than just an insanty point removal, we also got an standing invitation to visit his shrines.

To stay with Knights of the Bull sounds like a good idea. We get some free and somewhat permanent lodgings no one will complain about if we furbish a bit to elven standards.

The best part is that it allows us to have an ear on military stuff happening around along with a somewhat easy to convince foot to help us introduce ourselves. An established knight order would really help to meet Empire nobles and maybe some in Kislev.

Knights also happen to be the kind of people that won't dare to spit on people called swordmasters, if only because they have no excuse to refuse a duel. We might even get some respect and favors by kicking them in the dirt again and again until they learn something in the training field.

Ostland also happens to have the Forest of Shadows, so it's not like we will lack monstrosities to kill.

Edit : That and it's far less humiliating to live in humble conditions because you live in a military fortress not built for comfort than it is to live humble because your boss don't want to pay for the good inn.

Last edited:
Knights also happen to be the kind of people that won't dare to spit on people called swordmasters, if only because they have no excuse to refuse a duel. We might even get some respect and favors by kicking them in the dirt again and again until they learn something in the training field.
I'm fairly certain our Swordmasters will quickly win the admiration of the Knights. Given the Bulls' preference for greatswords, they will most assuredly spar with them day and night, only to end up in the dirt. Who knows, maybe we will actually find someone with talent among them and turn him into a proper warrior by Elven standards.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain our Swordmasters will quickly win the admiration of the Knights. Given the Bulls' preference for greatswords, they will most assuredly spar with them day and night, only to end up in the dirt. Who knows, maybe they will actually find someone with talent among them and turn him into a proper warrior by Elven standards.

Swordmaster standards are really high, but actual knights are probably good enough to be considered adequate warriors even by elven standards. They are elite after all. We're talking Prowess 20 or so, so on par with elven militia.

Swordmaster standards are really high, but actual knights are probably good enough to be considered adequate warriors even by elven standards. They are elite after all. We're talking Prowess 20 or so, so on par with elven militia.
That is true, yet there is always a chance, that a human with a talent for the sword beyond the average warrior shall be among the Knights. Now that is someone a Swordmaster would find interesting and worthy of instruction, should he be allowed to provide it.

I'm fairly certain our Swordmasters will quickly win the admiration of the Knights. Given the Bulls' preference for greatswords, they will most assuredly spar with them day and night, only to end up in the dirt. Who knows, maybe we will actually find someone with talent among them and turn him into a proper warrior by Elven standards.

Having our swordmasters train the knights will also be an easy to get job either for money, or if the knights can't afford it, another favor.

In particular it seems like it'd be a great job for Dorial to spend some time in the keep working while we go out hunting trolls if he isn't healthy enough to go fighting by the time that we're heading out.

And also it just removes a huge worry of how we're going to afford to keep a roof over our and the swordmaster's head. Whatever happens from now on, we at least don't need to worry anymore about counting our every coin so we don't end up homeless due to poor financial plannings. The extra money we get to keep is just the icing on the cake.

Added to that, rubbing shoulders with Ostlandian highborns day to day seems likely to eventually yield some connections with prominent people from Ostland, that might eventually get a job or two thrown our way.

The Knights bring us closer to Stirland/Sylvania (by like, an hour or so). Therefore, they bring us closer to living Terrorgheists (again, by like an hour or so). As such a beast is currently in 1.5th place on my mount wishlist, I am all for this.

Back