Mammoth Apostate vs the World 1: "Lost in the Mist"

(OOC - never fear Nixeu, I understand being swamped with commitments, I'd participate more w/t Tacit if I weren't juggling all my Mammoth ideas!)

Actually this is case of failing so hard, you manage to do great good!

Your Homeland Defense troops uncover a fledgling nest site by investigating a village that had been showing signs of recent habitation only to realize it has been enveloped by an Antiverse version of Kudzu. K-science names the vile specimens 'Killzu'.

The green tendrils grow 6 to 8 inches during the daylight hours and if a warm blooded creature gets too close the green slowly shifts to a variegated green and purple as a sedative sap swells within the leaves. Any creature to succumb to the sleep inducing toxin is overwhelmed and becomes fertilizer for future growth. If the patch matures enough it buds ambulatory rootlets that break free from the parent plant and will run 8-10 km before they go to ground and infest a new area.

Thermal sterilization proves effective. And the MLRS is called in to do the heavy lifting, with the Ghost Riders motorcycle militia (and their flamethrowers) providing the necessary back up.
Well, that's certainly one version of the opposite of a settlement.
Given the hostile environmental situation as well as the biggest threats we might want to consider constructing armored trains to use as mobile fortresses and command stations for our military. Also given the size of the Kaju it might actually be practical to build railway guns to fight them.
I like this idea.
ALL KAIJU WILL KNEEL BEFORE THE LIVING EMBODYMENT OF SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING!!!!

ALL HAIL THE SCHWERER GUSTAV!!!
PRAISE BE TO THE SCHWERER GUSTAV!!
I think you'll find that the name of the living embodiment of SUPERIOR GERMAN SCIENCE! is Rudol von Stroheim, good sir.

(OOC) My Christmas gift to you all - The Computerized Communication equipment found in the Port Authority will tie you into any & all VORTAC stations within your sphere of influence. With -minor- tweaks all GPS based navigation civilian & military can be modded to function using Vortac positioning instead.

Edit: Further Research shows Vortac in Savannah, Atlanta, are up and running. Whereas Macon, & Vidalia Vortac appear intact but are off grid due to no power.

Last edited:
Well, that's certainly one version of the opposite of a settlement.

A settlement that got nom'd by predatory plants, (I rolled off camera to see how bad the crit-fail was, and scored an explosion 10 figured that pretty much was fate giving me a shrug, low end was Homeland getting trapped by the infestation).

Income totals were off (You've got a substantial and wildly diverse revenue stream) corrections edited in now.

Edit: forgot to process last of the 1,200 R crude oil in super tanker into processed Petro-chemical products (increase oils value +50%) to 1,800 R. Add that to coffers brings final tally to:

New total 9,552 R available + 761 R crude oil stored rig side.(unavailable for spending)

Tanker is now sitting dry.

Post conflict, conventional troops that participated in battle get their shot at becoming Elites, I'll compile a list shortly of eligible candidates for rolls.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is also time to debate what you guys want in upcoming plan, Badkatt has forwarded a ton of ideas for improved security and expansion. Cokerpilot has thrown revitalizing the railways into the mix as well. (I need specifics of which lines to properly assign cost in Resources and what damages need repaired).

I will list some additional FREE ACTION items to consider as well.

List of free actions available:
[ ] Spend 325 R to have a Cobra on hand when the elite 'Smooth Operators' recover from their injuries.
[ ] Increase funding of shared currency (1,000 r in of 5,000 R needed) amounts at your discretion
[ ] increase seed money in goods fueling the commodity exchange
[ ] integrate Computerized Communications Center with Savannah Comms stat
[ ] begin investigation of Whitecap Triton's rifle (flawed design or just bad luck?)
[ ] diplomatically approach the 'Landrum-Pickering titanium mine, and request scaling back production (down to 300 r from 450 current) as current scrubber technologies are incapable of keeping pace (No + environmental shifts possible in the interim.) Longer this is neglected the more persistent the time before + shifts become available.
[ ] detailed scout on potential satellite city sites Macon / Vidalia

There is also one ?oddity? with the Commodity Exchange when it arrives in Savannah. A special crate marked 'paid in full' with instructions to deliver to Councillor Knight. A case of cinnamon and chocolate tea, No one remembers it being added to the caravan. The instructions include a minor post script:
"Fondest Memories, N.S. Esquire"

Last edited:
Conventionals eligible for rolls to become Elites.

2 Cobras ( 1st is standing military / 2nd is member of Savannah Protectorate Law Enforcement)
2 T-95 Artillery (Garrisoned)
1 AKP (standing military)

-----------------------------------------------------
Although numerous other conventionals were on site, they remained out of range and unable to actively contribute.

Last edited:
I also would like to hear suggestions for composition and deployment thoughts on your armored mobile fortress train design. An unspoken benefit the train would be more efficient than truck convoy for trade between connected cities and generally harder to ambush (dependent on design).

Given the hostile environmental situation as well as the biggest threats we might want to consider constructing armored trains to use as mobile fortresses and command stations for our military. Also given the size of the Kaju it might actually be practical to build railway guns to fight them.

Schwerer Gustav / Iron Bitch are not really designed to fire freely, possessing very limited useful firing arcs. Historically Railway guns had dedicated spurs built to align them with a desirable firing arc, not really practical versus highly mobile kaiju. (The Roundhouse makes them viable for city defensive battery)

The Jaeger 'Iron Bitch-lite' might be modified (w/t further research) to be fortress train friendly. May only be used when stationary - 2 turns to deploy swing out stabilizing arms and anchor them before Gun can be swiveled 360 degrees.

(OOC) Please forgive my absent mindedness. I have failed to detail what it will take to get 'Whitecap Triton' back to 100% combat ready.

One action for neck wound:
Repair 3 strikes to 'Deepwater' Carbyne Enhanced Composite neck Plating - 150 R
3 Ongoing repaired, -300 R (numerous hydraulic, coolant, and circulatory systems for the scrubbers for the liquid PFC of the conpod damaged)

One action for building a replacement for the MC-1 'Boomstick' gyrojet carbine using current black site schematics. 450 R

Historically gyro jets were a flawed technology prone to jams (1 in 100 or worse). And next to useless at PB ranges.

I think a sniper rifle or normal rifle would be more thematically correct for Triton's build as long as we maintain aquatic usefulness.

Edit: With a tad more research IRL examples I discovered DSG Technology of Norway had patented a MEA multi-environment ammunition produced under the name Cav-X. A standard rifle compatible round that uses super cavitation. Should beat the hell out of gyro jets.

Last edited:
A standard rifle compatible round that uses super cavitation. Should beat the hell out of gyro jets.

A link I found researching Badkatt's info.

Edit : The major feature of gyrojet in aquatic setting is the rocket continues to provide added thrust as it moves towards target giving exceptional range underwater while retaining penetration.

Conventional ammo begins deceleration as it leaves barrel underwater and becomes ineffectual rather quickly. A sniper rifle with 20/30/40 range in air, would be lucky to achieve 3/6/9 underwater with Cav-X ammo, of course underwater engagements at Depth 0.2 or deeper are in pitch black environment (reliant on sensors contacts to aim weapons 1d10+dex bonus) and engagements are usually quite close and brutal... All jaegers have spotlights to attempt visual at PB/short.

Last edited:
I could live with a 20/30/40 Sniper that was only 3/6/9 underwater.

Longer range engagement is for torpedoes ;)
Not sure if Smith's keeping this, but in Tacit Quest, torpedoes ignore a lot of the complications in underwater combat. Makes having a navy really lovely. I'd be up for building some wolfpacks to support Triton.

Speaking of which, Smith was talking about Councilor Projects, and, since it seems to have become my area of expertise and interest in this context, I'd be up for doing the naval stuff. Maybe some of the aeronautics, since aircraft carriers are a thing.

I think we'll be shifting towards something more like the older (WWI, WWII, but with modern tech) form of naval combat. Missiles are probably not going to be as important as torpedoes, and guns, possibly energy weapons or magnetic propelled, are going to be more helpful for us than long-distance missiles and bombing runs. Not that bombing runs aren't useful, but railguns and lasers are probably going to have more impact.

That means new ship designs, since our current ones are more built for dealing with technologically advanced enemie, not giant monsters. Modern attack submarines should work pretty well without modifications. Updating the frigates and destroyers might be as easy as just changing out what weapons we install, but bigger ships that aren't carriers are going to be relevant once more. And that project, designing new crusiers and battleships, is the specific project my councilor will be focusing most of his effort on, I think. Maybe even aircraft carriers and submarines, since those designs tend to be kept pretty hush-hush.

I'd probably start by gathering all the data on historical and modern ship designs (WWI, interwar, WWII, and any subsquent design updates before crusiers and battleships got phased out of modern navies, or modern versions for subs and carriers). Look through any surviving public or university libraries, scavenge surviving personal libraries for anything potentially useful (though I'd imagine we'd have already scavengd any wrecked, abandoned buildings for useful books and data already), checking whatever databases we've recovered, that sort of thing.

Then, I'd start looking at adapting the same sort of tech we use to work on parts and armor for Jaegers to build large ships faster than they could back then. If we can repair and create massive armor plates, and make melee weapons on the scale of Jaegers, in a short period of time, we can make ships in much shorter time frames than the months or years of even IRL modern shipyards.

While working on that, I'd have other design teams, probably the ones who work on our other vehicles, looking over the gathered data on historical designs, as well as any weapons we might want to want, like the Iron Bitch, the energy weapons on that Super-Heavy we got our hands on, Triton's weapons, etc. I'd also have them look adapting propulsion and other systems from Triton. If it helps move a massive giant robot, or make it float, it could probably move a battleship, aircraft carrier, submarine, or crusier. Have them work smagic protections and weapons into them, too, for anti-Mist work. Then, put all of that together into modernized, anti-Kaiju and anti-Mist designs, made to work with the weapons we attach to them.

...Or we could just build a fleet of boats for ramming Mist enemies. I've heard that works on Great Old Ones. :V

So many lovely thoughts! I'm going to break up your Quote to address them point by point.

Not sure if Smith's keeping this, but in Tacit Quest, torpedoes ignore a lot of the complications in underwater combat. Makes having a navy really lovely. I'd be up for building some wolfpacks to support Triton.

Speaking of which, Smith was talking about Councilor Projects, and, since it seems to have become my area of expertise and interest in this context, I'd be up for doing the naval stuff. Maybe some of the aeronautics, since aircraft carriers are a thing.

Torpedoes, specifically super-cavitating ones, will be kings of a mighty steep hill. Depth bombs like the 'porcupine' generally trump depth charges but have some inherent limitations (stress caused to ships hull being main hurdle as so many launches at same time are extremely stressful). Potential anti-torpedo countermeasures can and will be introduced.

As to you heading up naval stuff, I could personally think of few people I'd rubber stamp as qualified. You are on that shortlist.

I think we'll be shifting towards something more like the older (WWI, WWII, but with modern tech) form of naval combat. Missiles are probably not going to be as important as torpedoes, and guns, possibly energy weapons or magnetic propelled, are going to be more helpful for us than long-distance missiles and bombing runs. Not that bombing runs aren't useful, but railguns and lasers are probably going to have more impact.

That means new ship designs, since our current ones are more built for dealing with technologically advanced enemie, not giant monsters. Modern attack submarines should work pretty well without modifications. Updating the frigates and destroyers might be as easy as just changing out what weapons we install, but bigger ships that aren't carriers are going to be relevant once more. And that project, designing new crusiers and battleships, is the specific project my councilor will be focusing most of his effort on, I think. Maybe even aircraft carriers and submarines, since those designs tend to be kept pretty hush-hush.

I'd probably start by gathering all the data on historical and modern ship designs (WWI, interwar, WWII, and any subsquent design updates before crusiers and battleships got phased out of modern navies, or modern versions for subs and carriers). Look through any surviving public or university libraries, scavenge surviving personal libraries for anything potentially useful (though I'd imagine we'd have already scavengd any wrecked, abandoned buildings for useful books and data already), checking whatever databases we've recovered, that sort of thing.

Then, I'd start looking at adapting the same sort of tech we use to work on parts and armor for Jaegers to build large ships faster than they could back then. If we can repair and create massive armor plates, and make melee weapons on the scale of Jaegers, in a short period of time, we can make ships in much shorter time frames than the months or years of even IRL modern shipyards.

While working on that, I'd have other design teams, probably the ones who work on our other vehicles, looking over the gathered data on historical designs, as well as any weapons we might want to want, like the Iron Bitch, the energy weapons on that Super-Heavy we got our hands on, Triton's weapons, etc. I'd also have them look adapting propulsion and other systems from Triton. If it helps move a massive giant robot, or make it float, it could probably move a battleship, aircraft carrier, submarine, or crusier. Have them work smagic protections and weapons into them, too, for anti-Mist work. Then, put all of that together into modernized, anti-Kaiju and anti-Mist designs, made to work with the weapons we attach to them.

...Or we could just build a fleet of boats for ramming Mist enemies. I've heard that works on Great Old Ones. :V

All valid areas of naval research, your spoilered project ideas are evidence of general qualification to grab this as your pet. :)

Something else we haven't talked about yet: Military bases!

To the south west of the perimeter is Hinesville, now Hinesville's kind of a one trick pony but it has a pretty damn good trick, that being Fort Stewart. Housing a National Guard Retention Center, a Marine Reception Center an Army Reserve Center, an RMA, TMP, Auction Center, Defense Logistics Agency and the crown jewels The Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Air Field and the Fort Stewart Deployment Operations & Rail Marshaling Area. Hinesville is a place we want secured yesterday.

Continuing down 95 we run past an Air national Guard base, the Shellman Bluff Naval Tower and into Brunswick where we find the Georgia Air National Guard, A Coast Guard Base and a branch of the Department of Homeland Security. Running past that and all the way to The Line we end up at a Giantass Navy Base.

Macon has Robins Air Force Base to the south and Weracoba has Fort Benning. All other blobs of military stuff are in Augusta or Atlanta with the exception of Camp Merril to Atlanta's north near the Tennessee Border.

TL;DR 95 South is an all but literal goldmine.

(OOC) Thank you @Cmd. Frost, I always try to research and represent things accurately. Knowing these places exist goes a long way towards me having the time to dig in and do my research. Lord knows you guys have blindsided me often enough and I try to portray the depth the Realworldtm​ can allow as diligently as pacing allows.

More internet homework for the holidays! ;)

Post conflict, conventional troops that participated in battle get their shot at becoming Elites, I'll compile a list shortly of eligible candidates for rolls.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is also time to debate what you guys want in upcoming plan, Badkatt has forwarded a ton of ideas for improved security and expansion. Cokerpilot has thrown revitalizing the railways into the mix as well. (I need specifics of which lines to properly assign cost in Resources and what damages need repaired).

I will list some additional FREE ACTION items to consider as well.

List of free actions available:
[ ] Spend 325 R to have a Cobra on hand when the elite 'Smooth Operators' recover from their injuries.
[ ] Increase funding of shared currency (1,000 r in of 5,000 R needed) amounts at your discretion
[ ] increase seed money in goods fueling the commodity exchange
[ ] integrate Computerized Communications Center with Savannah Comms stat
[ ] begin investigation of Whitecap Triton's rifle (flawed design or just bad luck?)
[ ] diplomatically approach the 'Landrum-Pickering titanium mine, and request scaling back production (down to 300 r from 450 current) as current scrubber technologies are incapable of keeping pace (No + environmental shifts possible in the interim.) Longer this is neglected the more persistent the time before + shifts become available.
[ ] detailed scout on potential satellite city sites Macon / Vidalia

There is also one ?oddity? with the Commodity Exchange when it arrives in Savannah. A special crate marked 'paid in full' with instructions to deliver to Councillor Knight. A case of cinnamon and chocolate tea, No one remembers it being added to the caravan. The instructions include a minor post script:
"Fondest Memories, N.S. Esquire"
*Internally Screaming in Paladin*

Back