Mammoth Apostate vs the World 1: "Lost in the Mist"

Although I'm in total agreement with 90% of this getting involved in the Deep One vs API pistol shrimp scuffle might not be best, chewing up the victor? Now that's a plan.
Works for me.

So, send Whitecap to intercept Samael 1, have the Carry-Alls strap Mammoth in so he can fight Samael 2 is pretty much set in stone, but what about Conventional assignments? The jacketed AKPs are probably going with Mammoth, but should we send the rest of the Cons on Hunter AAF to reinforce Whitecap? They're slightly closer to Samael 2, but the difference isn't that big and we could use them on the beaches just in case something slips through.

Works for me.

So, send Whitecap to intercept Samael 1, have the Carry-Alls strap Mammoth in so he can fight Samael 2 is pretty much set in stone, but what about Conventional assignments? The jacketed AKPs are probably going with Mammoth, but should we send the rest of the Cons on Hunter AAF to reinforce Whitecap? They're slightly closer to Samael 2, but the difference isn't that big and we could use them on the beaches just in case something slips through.

Genius! I say take a moment with reload regiment (whatever our resupply troops are called) and re-arm the cobras with full Salvo of hellfires, they can be our reserves to go with if shit goes sideways with either Jaeger battle.

Let them support Whitecap Triton for the moment w/the miniguns. And depending on ebb & flow slap the hellfires where most needed.

Mammoth should have the Garrison support from the wall (arty/AKP's ).

*Council Chambers in the Midst of the Developing Situation*

Councilor Knight stood there, hands clenching and unclenching (far away from the triggers of his Jacket), watching the situation devolve. Two of these Mist Kaiju? And the men in the field were still organizing and fighting several groups of the smaller beats. Finally, he began to move.

"If you need me, I'll be on channels 13 and 20. They need help out there and I'm useless in here."
"You're crazy, Knight! That's no place for-"
"I'm going. I won't ask these men and women to fight and die against horrors when I'm not willing to do so myself. Besides."

He turns and grins at the others.

"I have faith things will work out."

And then his footsteps stomped off as Councilor Knight sought to join the defense of the city...

Seeing Councillor Knight move out in the defense of the city inspires a handful of people along his route as well, soldiers who should be light duty disables or mechanics with oversized wrench in hand, maintenance techs, and at least one groundskeeper wielding a chainsaw. People with no fixed duty elsewhere, who also feel like a fifth wheel.

When it grows from 3 or 4 to nearly a platoon of disparate people the Councillor pauses a moment noticing the entourage in his wake, raises an inquiring eyebrow. The groundskeeper speaks up:

"Councillor, we share your sentiment. We've gained too much to risk losing it now because it's not our job. Safeguarding what's ours isn't a risk; it's a right and a privilege. Whether you lead us or not, we'll not let you go it alone."

Somehow, from somewhere, as if summoned a maintenance golf cart rolls up piled high with a mixed bag of weapons from the armory. The impromptu band grabs whatever they feel they understand and are comfortable with.

EDIT:
(OOC) When A councillor dives into the thick of nasties from beyond our world all I could think is "Don't go alone..." your micro omake was moving enough I figured you'd gain some popular support. You have a mixed bag of volunteers ranging from trained military to irregular militia (Hobo with AA-12 ;)).

Last edited:
(OOC) Lol, no takers? :sour:

I'd figure someone would have some nuts and bolts questions re: Charleston Rebels. How the resistance has been funded, where they are receiving their pristine WW2 era knockoff weaponry, how many actual rebels have taken up arms, how much popular support has the resistance garnered in the populace inside Charleston area of Influence, What other juicy intel does the resistance know that Savannah has not gotten a glimmer of? Etc.

Heh, just like me to dig in and waste a good bit of time on stuff of little interest to my readership at large. Guess that means back to what drew everyone here in the first place: "Moar Giant Robots beating the fluff out of Giant Monsters!"

-------------------------------------------------------

I need two rolls 1st is for our resident Mage; Miss Cartwright Roll 1d10 +1 , then roll another 1d10 (-2) for @KnightDisciple as Magical juju is going on...

It's a somewhat delayed response I know. Honestly, I didn't think of those questions at the time (Wish I did but no point in lying about it) Most of the stuff I did think of was stuff we the players would already know but in viewpoint character wouldn't so I didn't want to potentially bore the thread posting them.

That being said I would be fairly interested in him asking more about the Charleston Rebels.

Councillor BadKatt is seldom found lacking words.

She glides silently along; grabs a spare pair of coveralls, a hardhat and welding goggles then smudges her face with grease. Slips out her 'Taurus Public Defender' pistol from the concealed carry holster at the small of her back and tries to blend inconspicuously into the crowd. Checks her fanny packy as she transfers it to the outside of her Coveralls, easy access to the 3 speed loaders that mirror her standard load. Alternating .45 hollow points w/t .410 shotshells sporting 000 buckshot. A gun for all occasions...

Her silent berating of the man should warm his ears, "Damnable Gungho fool, make a point like that when he's sporting powered armor... Well he's entitled to his moment in the sun. If I die though, I swear I'll haunt him. He has a point I think about all hands on deck, if not now when and all that swinging your genitals like a wrecking ball crap. I'd never be able to sit my chair at the council chamber, if I let him martyr himself."

Admiral Nixeu leaned back in his chair, pensively, considering his options. On the one hand, his presence would probably raise the Navy's morale. On the other, how in the hell was he going to get onboard one of their vessels? Calling one of them back to shore would take too long, and he knew better than to think he could actually pull off skydiving from a helicopter, or getting a boat that close under these conditions. And the Deep Ones made scuba-diving an absolutely terrible idea, even if they were distracted by fighting shrimp APIs.

Plus, he was a former Customs inspector, lab tech, and desk-jockey. Not really much of a soldier. Morale boost and a few firefights with drug runners aside, he wouldn't exactly bring much to the table as a shooter. And he'd made a point of letting his captains know that he trusted them to do their job, without his constant oversight. Given that many of them came from unsavory backgrounds, he knew that mattered a lot to them. Going out now would undermine that trust.

An old conversation replayed itself in his mind: Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses. No point in using a hammer as a dinner plate, if you've got a choice in the matter. You might not be the best shot, but you have other talents. Use them. The Admiral smiled to himself, and whispered "Aye-aye, Chief." He snapped back to an upright position, and got to work pulling up the files on the various locations where the battles were going on. Choke-points, optimal and open evac routes, load-bearing walls, gas lines, underground power-lines, and water-mains, all of that would be useful information for those in the thick of it. And he'd make sure they had it when they needed it.

Let's see how these bastards handle having a building or two dropped on their heads, or a sewage main explode in their faces. He grinned, and started trying to figure out where the combat engineers had gotten to.

Let's see how these bastards handle having a building or two dropped on their heads, or a sewage main explode in their faces. He grinned, and started trying to figure out where the combat engineers had gotten to.

Gained Tactical knowledge: City of Savannah (everything within 1 km of DP)
One time per battle, exploit an inherent design trait by write in. We'll roll dice to gauge effectiveness. Base success determined by the amount of thought and insight invested, higher die rolls grow the success. (These rolls can explode OR crit-fail as per other forms of combat)

This style of bonus may also be gained for each city/settlement under your control at the cost of 1 general action (research)

(OOC) This first example was a freebie based on an omake.

Okay time for a stylistic question, Do you prefer a 'Just the facts' presentation of information gleaned by Iceman as he travels along with the "Sons (& Daughters) of Liberty or it done up in a 'story form' as per Iceman's Trek?

I'm okay with either...

Okay time for a stylistic question, Do you prefer a 'Just the facts' presentation of information gleaned by Iceman as he travels along with the "Sons (& Daughters) of Liberty or it done up in a 'story form' as per Iceman's Trek?

I'm okay with either...
I enjoy the story form the most, but if that doesn't work when writing then just the facts would be okay.

I am a bad player, I just have been too drained to play. I am also late in relaying a Smithsguild message by about 3 days...

His Internet is down today is when AT&T is supposed to send a repair tech out.

I will TRY to get some game time in soon.

Smithsguild sends his best between curses against AT&T & their "get to it when we do" attitude.

He has several writeups piled up on his computer awaiting a return of services.

@Highwind , he just called me to greenlight your omake. He can read emails but typing on his phone gives him fits (It's his pudgy Sausage fingers :D).

Maybe tomorrow...

Smithsguild sends his best between curses against AT&T & their "get to it when we do" attitude.

He has several writeups piled up on his computer awaiting a return of services.

@Highwind , he just called me to greenlight your omake. He can read emails but typing on his phone gives him fits (It's his pudgy Sausage fingers :D).

Maybe tomorrow...
Funnily enough this omake was written mostly on my phone with minor editing on my computer. The computer keeps me too distracted to write anything.

Just a heads-up, this omake was a bit of an experiment so it might be a bit rough around the edges. Criticism is welcome, as always, and I hope you enjoy it.

-----//||\\-----​

After I left the command room to begin searching for a clue as to the identity of the thing eclipsing the sun, I made sure to stop by the nearest shelters to gather as much of my personnel as I could find, so we could speed up the search.

Unfortunately, everyone was spread out in shelters all over the city. Thus, all the forces I had at my disposal were myself, Glass, and two soldiers who were guarding the research library to ensure no one would try to mess with it while everyone else was busy fighting. We also didn't have digitalized copies of the grimoires ready, so we were doing this the old fashioned way: speed reading the books and hoping we found the right thing.

"And that's the Ponape Scripture done. Nothing on big black blobs of blackness there either." My second-in-command said from where she sat across from me. "We'll be here forever at this rate." She whined, but reached for another book in the stack between us nonetheless.

"We don't have many clues here, Glass. We can't exactly cast Page-Bound Epiphany to find what we need. Not yet at least." I replied while I wrote a note on a red Post-it note and affixed it to the page I was reading so it'd be easier to find later. Red for names of creatures of interest, blue for places, green for legendary events or prophecies, black for rituals and spells. I would bet my liver we'd have to deal with Atlach-nacha at some point. "We know it drinks light and heat, it's blacker than the night sky, and it has no physical mass to speak of. And that's pretty distinctive, really. Just imagine if all we had to go with were some foul stench and waving tentacles."

"Shit, we'd have about four dozen candidates in just this one book!" One of the Privates I had roped into helping us chimed in beside me, and his fellow across from him grunted in agreement. The man was named Matthew Campbell, a man with a most impressive chin who seemed almost eager to dive into these books, while the other one was a woman going by the name of Annette d'Aubigny, who would probably look like a model were she wearing anything other than her ACU, and she seemed even more interested in her reading material than Campbell was, going by how carefully she was reading the copy of a 14th century Arabic bestiary in her hands.

"It's still damn annoying." Glass said. "How do we even have a copy of the De Vermis Misteriis, anyway?"

"They translated and reprinted a whole lot of Grimoires back in the 2012 End of The World craze." I replied. "And there was another rush for esoteric books back when the Kaiju showed up and people thought the Beast of Apocalypse was going to come out of the Abyss with the Whore of Babylon upon its back."

"Think that one will show up now?" Private Campbell asked.

"If it does I hope it'll be after we build those fucking huge cannons--"

"I found those fuckers!" The other Private shouted and thumped the book on the long desk. "Sammael, the Hound of Resurrection!"

Everyone stared at her, and she explained with a grin. "I was looking for any clues about the other two things coming at us, and I fucking found it. Them. Anyway, I got a lead."

Samael was a disgustingly common name for evil or adversarial entities, but the fact she found anything on one of the immediate threats was a big step forward. "Give me the details, Annette."

"The fucker's name is Sammael, two ems, and it multiplies whenever you kill it." She explained. That wasn't encouraging. "And it's supposed to be extremely dangerous, but only about eight feet tall."

"You sure you found the right one?" Campbell asked, and in response Annette showed us the page with a reproduction of an illumination featuring a beast that was very close to the one that had attacked Savannah some time before I arrived. "Okay, you found the right one. What else?"

"Apparently, if an angel were present when the fucker was killed it would weep in joy and seal away its soul, so it could not return." She explained. "And if you don't have an angel handy then blessed salt would do the trick."

"How much salt we're talking here, Anne?" Campbell asked.

"It says here 'enough to hide its visage and create a ward around the revenant'."

"Enough to cover the skull and make a circle around the corpse." I translated.

"That's a shitload of salt," Glass observed. "A few trucks at least. Savannah might spend the next few weeks dining low on sodium."

"What I think is the weirdest part is how the one in the bestiary was just a couple feet larger than a man, while we're dealing with a Kaiju-sized beast." I noted.

"Those things were supposed to be sealed away and asleep, right?" Campbell said. "So maybe the reason they're bigger now is that they're awake?"

"We also didn't have the Kaiju fucking up the walls between dimensions back in the fourteenth century," Glass added. "So that's another thing that might have helped it grow."

"...I think I got a theory to explain it now." Campbell said. "Maybe there's just more of Sammael here compared to the old days?"

I frowned, tried to understand what he was getting at, and the man continued. "So, they're awake and free to interfere now, right?" Everyone made vaguely agreeing noises. "But they're still not here." He stressed the last word.

"So what, they're still outside this universe and the monsters here are just a part of them they managed to slip in?" Glass asked.

"Sorta, yeah." Campbell nodded. "They aren't all here, so they force a bit of themselves down to where we exist. It used to be they were sleeping and there was way more resistance, but now they have more strength and have an easier time forcing themselves through."

"...It's like the shadow of a sphere in a piece of paper." d'Aubigny said. "Something in a higher dimension projecting an approximation of itself into a lower dimensional space."

Okay, that was not the analogy I expected from an Army Private, but it seemed like the most scientific way to explain it. "We're passing on that info to Command so we can get the salt ready." I said. "And I'll be talking with General Harrington to have you two transferred here full time. You two are fucking hired. Anything else?"

The two Privates exchanged grins, but had nothing to add and so they and Glass went back to reading while I drafted a report. I was mid-way through explaining the Privates' theory when Glass called my attention.

"I think I got a lead," she said. "But the book is really fucking vague. It mentions a creature called 'The Nameless Mist', and it's the best match I found so far."

"Any relation to all the Mist that shows up along with the rest of those creatures?" I asked. "Because that'd be one hell of a coincidence."

"Not really, and the Mist Life Sciences department already found an explanation for the Mist..." I could almost hear the 'but'. "This thing's supposed to be Yog-Sothoth's progenitor."

Well then. Every person who had lived in Arkham had heard about Yog-Sothoth, of only because the Dunwich incident was one of the most famous stories in the region right alongside stories of witches and occult rituals in the halls of Miskatonic. People believed on those tales like the modern Irish believed in fairy circles, we'd ridicule the superstition and refuse to step inside one for love or money in the same breath.

"...The Mist Life Science department got the physical explanation. We have possible a metaphysical explanation now. They aren't mutually exclusive." I said. "Anything else?"

"It's way out of our league, Richard." Glass said seriously. "So much it ain't even funny. I don't think we have anything that can harm it unless we get lucky when opening a random page on the Necronomicon."

"So we're fucked." I said matter-of-factly.

Glass shook her head. "Actually, I think we don't even have to worry about it. I mean, it's just hovering menacingly, right?"

I nodded. It was, indeed, just drinking the light and hovering lazily above our heads, at least according to the last report I got.

"Then maybe it doesn't want to interfere. Maybe it just wants to watch." My second-in-command continued. "Isn't part of the reason the Great Old Ones woke up the fact they didn't get the entertainment they were due? That one has a pretty damn good seat to watch the battles."

I could see the logic behind that hypothesis. That it meant we wouldn't have to fight an Outer God made it all the more attractive. "So it just showed up for dinner and a show?"

"It was probably summoned here, actually." Glass said.

"Don't we have a bunch of cultists all over the battle zone?" Campbell chimed in. "They might have summoned one of their gods to see their triumph or something like that."

"It might be the Sammaels, too." d'Aubigny added. "They're described as servants of greater Evils, so they might have called one of their bosses to show off."

"That makes a lot of sense, actually." Glass said. "Think we should add that to the report?"

"Sure. Actually, could you finish it for me?" I asked Glass. "It's your theory, and I need to find the proper way to sanctify the salt to seal the Sammaels."

"Well, this book has no instructions on that front, sir." Annette said. "What other options do we have?"

That was the actual question now, wasn't it? None of the books I had read so far featured much in the way of sealing and banishing. Many prayers and honors to the Great Old Ones and the Elder Gods, quite a few fragments of summoning rituals, even the occasional tip on how to kill lesser entities, but almost nothing on how to get rid of the powerful ones. It was a worrying pattern, actually.

A thought crossed my mind, probably because the memories of the stories about the Dunwich incident were still fresh in my mind.

"...I'll get the Necronomicon."

Glass whistled. "Finally bringing out the big guns?"

"The big guns we can't fucking read, yeah." I said. "Hopefully I'll find and translate something before we're forced to kill four of those fuckers at the same time."

Minutes later I had taken the Al Azif out of the safe we kept it in and was wearing gloves while staring at the grand grimoire. Despite the tasks they still had to finish the others were crowding around me and staring at the book, and I couldn't blame them. The Al Azif had a sort of weight to it. A sort of gravity that drew your attention and demanded you give it the respect it was due.

Carefully and reverently, I lifted the volume and once again I couldn't help but notice the size and weight of the book. Hundreds of pages of vellum, bound in leather and covered with small, almost tiny Arabic script and assorted marginalia. I ran a finger down the cover before I opened it, and it froze mid-travel when I noticed one of the pages-- the immensely valuable and irreplaceable pages-- had been dog-eared.

More to the point, I had throughly examined this book before, to check how well-preserved it was (extremely, by the way. Eerily so) and none of the pages had so much as a crease. And yet here it was.

I opened that specific page, and the first thing that I saw was an illumination that took the top quarger of a page, of a bearded man pouring a white substance from a silver amphora, forming a circle of white grains.

"...What the fuck?"

It took me a moment to realize it was I who said that, and I decided to repeat it for good measure. "What the everloving fuck?"

"I guess that's the right page?"

"The fuck do you think, Matthew?"

"Richard?" Glass said, ignoring the two soldiers' bickering. "That's fucking creepy. You sure this book is safe?"

I paused for a moment, before finally answering. "No. No I'm not sure, but it's our best bet right now." I moved my hand to undo the dog ear on the page, only to notice the corner was straight and unmarked, as if it had never existed. I shook my head in disbelief. "We'll translate this very carefully. We have to trust this fucking book for now, but I'll be damned if I won't be careful."

I took a deep breath, and stated issuing orders.

"Private Campbell." I said, loudly and clearly. "Get me all the Arabic-English dictionaries over there," I pointed to an aisle near the entrance of the research library. To his credit the man stopped bickering with his fellow soldier and immediately moved to fulfill his orders. "Private d'Aubigny, I need stationery. Pencils, erasers, notebooks, fucking post-it notes. There should be enough in the offices outside."

d'Aubigny actually saluted before departing, leaving me alone with Glass for the moment.

I took a deep breath. "Glass, did you finish the report to the command room?"

She nodded. "Almost. Gotta add this latest bit of bullshit, and then I'll need your signature for ID."

I snorted. "Yours as good as mine as far as I'm concerned. Finish it up and have one of the Privates deliver it, I'll need you here to help me translate."

She nodded, and went back to writing. I examined the pages, their illuminations and marginalia, and for all the book was dangerous and potentially hazardous to one's sanity, I couldn't help but admite their beauty.

There were too many mysteries, too many oddities and strangeness nowadays, but hopefully I would be able to uncover it all in time. There's nothing that can't be found, no secrets that cannot be uncovered. Questions about whether or not I should were meaningless at this point, if we wanted to survive we would need to. I just hoped I'd be able to keep my life and my sanity intact while I did so.

-----\\||//-----​

Funnily enough this omake was written mostly on my phone with minor editing on my computer. The computer keeps me too distracted to write anything.

Just a heads-up, this omake was a bit of an experiment so it might be a bit rough around the edges. Criticism is welcome, as always, and I hope you enjoy it.

-----//||\\-----​

After I left the command room to begin searching for a clue as to the identity of the thing eclipsing the sun, I made sure to stop by the nearest shelters to gather as much of my personnel as I could find, so we could speed up the search.

Unfortunately, everyone was spread out in shelters all over the city. Thus, all the forces I had at my disposal were myself, Glass, and two soldiers who were guarding the research library to ensure no one would try to mess with it while everyone else was busy fighting. We also didn't have digitalized copies of the grimoires ready, so we were doing this the old fashioned way: speed reading the books and hoping we found the right thing.

"And that's the Ponape Scripture done. Nothing on big black blobs of blackness there either." My second-in-command said from where she sat across from me. "We'll be here forever at this rate." She whined, but reached for another book in the stack between us nonetheless.

"We don't have many clues here, Glass. We can't exactly cast Page-Bound Epiphany to find what we need. Not yet at least." I replied while I wrote a note on a red Post-it note and affixed it to the page I was reading so it'd be easier to find later. Red for names of creatures of interest, blue for places, green for legendary events or prophecies, black for rituals and spells. I would bet my liver we'd have to deal with Atlach-nacha at some point. "We know it drinks light and heat, it's blacker than the night sky, and it has no physical mass to speak of. And that's pretty distinctive, really. Just imagine if all we had to go with were some foul stench and waving tentacles."

"Shit, we'd have about four dozen candidates in just this one book!" One of the Privates I had roped into helping us chimed in beside me, and his fellow across from him grunted in agreement. The man was named Matthew Campbell, a man with a most impressive chin who seemed almost eager to dive into these books, while the other one was a woman going by the name of Annette d'Aubigny, who would probably look like a model were she wearing anything other than her ACU, and she seemed even more interested in her reading material than Campbell was, going by how carefully she was reading the copy of a 14th century Arabic bestiary in her hands.

"It's still damn annoying." Glass said. "How do we even have a copy of the De Vermis Misteriis, anyway?"

"They translated and reprinted a whole lot of Grimoires back in the 2012 End of The World craze." I replied. "And there was another rush for esoteric books back when the Kaiju showed up and people thought the Beast of Apocalypse was going to come out of the Abyss with the Whore of Babylon upon its back."

"Think that one will show up now?" Private Campbell asked.

"If it does I hope it'll be after we build those fucking huge cannons--"

"I found those fuckers!" The other Private shouted and thumped the book on the long desk. "Sammael, the Hound of Resurrection!"

Everyone stared at her, and she explained with a grin. "I was looking for any clues about the other two things coming at us, and I fucking found it. Them. Anyway, I got a lead."

Samael was a disgustingly common name for evil or adversarial entities, but the fact she found anything on one of the immediate threats was a big step forward. "Give me the details, Annette."

"The fucker's name is Sammael, two ems, and it multiplies whenever you kill it." She explained. That wasn't encouraging. "And it's supposed to be extremely dangerous, but only about eight feet tall."

"You sure you found the right one?" Campbell asked, and in response Annette showed us the page with a reproduction of an illumination featuring a beast that was very close to the one that had attacked Savannah some time before I arrived. "Okay, you found the right one. What else?"

"Apparently, if an angel were present when the fucker was killed it would weep in joy and seal away its soul, so it could not return." She explained. "And if you don't have an angel handy then blessed salt would do the trick."

"How much salt we're talking here, Anne?" Campbell asked.

"It says here 'enough to hide its visage and create a ward around the revenant'."

"Enough to cover the skull and make a circle around the corpse." I translated.

"That's a shitload of salt," Glass observed. "A few trucks at least. Savannah might spend the next few weeks dining low on sodium."

"What I think is the weirdest part is how the one in the bestiary was just a couple feet larger than a man, while we're dealing with a Kaiju-sized beast." I noted.

"Those things were supposed to be sealed away and asleep, right?" Campbell said. "So maybe the reason they're bigger now is that they're awake?"

"We also didn't have the Kaiju fucking up the walls between dimensions back in the fourteenth century," Glass added. "So that's another thing that might have helped it grow."

"...I think I got a theory to explain it now." Campbell said. "Maybe there's just more of Sammael here compared to the old days?"

I frowned, tried to understand what he was getting at, and the man continued. "So, they're awake and free to interfere now, right?" Everyone made vaguely agreeing noises. "But they're still not here." He stressed the last word.

"So what, they're still outside this universe and the monsters here are just a part of them they managed to slip in?" Glass asked.

"Sorta, yeah." Campbell nodded. "They aren't all here, so they force a bit of themselves down to where we exist. It used to be they were sleeping and there was way more resistance, but now they have more strength and have an easier time forcing themselves through."

"...It's like the shadow of a sphere in a piece of paper." d'Aubigny said. "Something in a higher dimension projecting an approximation of itself into a lower dimensional space."

Okay, that was not the analogy I expected from an Army Private, but it seemed like the most scientific way to explain it. "We're passing on that info to Command so we can get the salt ready." I said. "And I'll be talking with General Harrington to have you two transferred here full time. You two are fucking hired. Anything else?"

The two Privates exchanged grins, but had nothing to add and so they and Glass went back to reading while I drafted a report. I was mid-way through explaining the Privates' theory when Glass called my attention.

"I think I got a lead," she said. "But the book is really fucking vague. It mentions a creature called 'The Nameless Mist', and it's the best match I found so far."

"Any relation to all the Mist that shows up along with the rest of those creatures?" I asked. "Because that'd be one hell of a coincidence."

"Not really, and the Mist Life Sciences department already found an explanation for the Mist..." I could almost hear the 'but'. "This thing's supposed to be Yog-Sothoth's progenitor."

Well then. Every person who had lived in Arkham had heard about Yog-Sothoth, of only because the Dunwich incident was one of the most famous stories in the region right alongside stories of witches and occult rituals in the halls of Miskatonic. People believed on those tales like the modern Irish believed in fairy circles, we'd ridicule the superstition and refuse to step inside one for love or money in the same breath.

"...The Mist Life Science department got the physical explanation. We have possible a metaphysical explanation now. They aren't mutually exclusive." I said. "Anything else?"

"It's way out of our league, Richard." Glass said seriously. "So much it ain't even funny. I don't think we have anything that can harm it unless we get lucky when opening a random page on the Necronomicon."

"So we're fucked." I said matter-of-factly.

Glass shook her head. "Actually, I think we don't even have to worry about it. I mean, it's just hovering menacingly, right?"

I nodded. It was, indeed, just drinking the light and hovering lazily above our heads, at least according to the last report I got.

"Then maybe it doesn't want to interfere. Maybe it just wants to watch." My second-in-command continued. "Isn't part of the reason the Great Old Ones woke up the fact they didn't get the entertainment they were due? That one has a pretty damn good seat to watch the battles."

I could see the logic behind that hypothesis. That it meant we wouldn't have to fight an Outer God made it all the more attractive. "So it just showed up for dinner and a show?"

"It was probably summoned here, actually." Glass said.

"Don't we have a bunch of cultists all over the battle zone?" Campbell chimed in. "They might have summoned one of their gods to see their triumph or something like that."

"It might be the Sammaels, too." d'Aubigny added. "They're described as servants of greater Evils, so they might have called one of their bosses to show off."

"That makes a lot of sense, actually." Glass said. "Think we should add that to the report?"

"Sure. Actually, could you finish it for me?" I asked Glass. "It's your theory, and I need to find the proper way to sanctify the salt to seal the Sammaels."

"Well, this book has no instructions on that front, sir." Annette said. "What other options do we have?"

That was the actual question now, wasn't it? None of the books I had read so far featured much in the way of sealing and banishing. Many prayers and honors to the Great Old Ones and the Elder Gods, quite a few fragments of summoning rituals, even the occasional tip on how to kill lesser entities, but almost nothing on how to get rid of the powerful ones. It was a worrying pattern, actually.

A thought crossed my mind, probably because the memories of the stories about the Dunwich incident were still fresh in my mind.

"...I'll get the Necronomicon."

Glass whistled. "Finally bringing out the big guns?"

"The big guns we can't fucking read, yeah." I said. "Hopefully I'll find and translate something before we're forced to kill four of those fuckers at the same time."

Minutes later I had taken the Al Azif out of the safe we kept it in and was wearing gloves while staring at the grand grimoire. Despite the tasks they still had to finish the others were crowding around me and staring at the book, and I couldn't blame them. The Al Azif had a sort of weight to it. A sort of gravity that drew your attention and demanded you give it the respect it was due.

Carefully and reverently, I lifted the volume and once again I couldn't help but notice the size and weight of the book. Hundreds of pages of vellum, bound in leather and covered with small, almost tiny Arabic script and assorted marginalia. I ran a finger down the cover before I opened it, and it froze mid-travel when I noticed one of the pages-- the immensely valuable and irreplaceable pages-- had been dog-eared.

More to the point, I had throughly examined this book before, to check how well-preserved it was (extremely, by the way. Eerily so) and none of the pages had so much as a crease. And yet here it was.

I opened that specific page, and the first thing that I saw was an illumination that took the top quarger of a page, of a bearded man pouring a white substance from a silver amphora, forming a circle of white grains.

"...What the fuck?"

It took me a moment to realize it was I who said that, and I decided to repeat it for good measure. "What the everloving fuck?"

"I guess that's the right page?"

"The fuck do you think, Matthew?"

"Richard?" Glass said, ignoring the two soldiers' bickering. "That's fucking creepy. You sure this book is safe?"

I paused for a moment, before finally answering. "No. No I'm not sure, but it's our best bet right now." I moved my hand to undo the dog ear on the page, only to notice the corner was straight and unmarked, as if it had never existed. I shook my head in disbelief. "We'll translate this very carefully. We have to trust this fucking book for now, but I'll be damned if I won't be careful."

I took a deep breath, and stated issuing orders.

"Private Campbell." I said, loudly and clearly. "Get me all the Arabic-English dictionaries over there," I pointed to an aisle near the entrance of the research library. To his credit the man stopped bickering with his fellow soldier and immediately moved to fulfill his orders. "Private d'Aubigny, I need stationery. Pencils, erasers, notebooks, fucking post-it notes. There should be enough in the offices outside."

d'Aubigny actually saluted before departing, leaving me alone with Glass for the moment.

I took a deep breath. "Glass, did you finish the report to the command room?"

She nodded. "Almost. Gotta add this latest bit of bullshit, and then I'll need your signature for ID."

I snorted. "Yours as good as mine as far as I'm concerned. Finish it up and have one of the Privates deliver it, I'll need you here to help me translate."

She nodded, and went back to writing. I examined the pages, their illuminations and marginalia, and for all the book was dangerous and potentially hazardous to one's sanity, I couldn't help but admite their beauty.

There were too many mysteries, too many oddities and strangeness nowadays, but hopefully I would be able to uncover it all in time. There's nothing that can't be found, no secrets that cannot be uncovered. Questions about whether or not I should were meaningless at this point, if we wanted to survive we would need to. I just hoped I'd be able to keep my life and my sanity intact while I did so.

-----\\||//-----​
Admiral Nixeu, upon reading the report, grinned. A few trucks of salt? That was easier than one might think. Even in places lacking larges stores of halite for cheap road de-icing, like sunny Savannah, sodium chloride was used in massive quantities in a surprising number of industries. It was used to synthesize a number of industrially important chemicals, and salt, in or out of solution, had quite a number of useful properties, outside of the context of chemistry.

He was willing to bet they wouldn't need to start raiding the kitchens for the needed salt. No, someone, somewhere in the city, had mountains of the stuff. It was just a matter of finding them, and blessing the salt. Since the Admiral couldn't do the latter, he'd help as much as he could on the former problem.

(OoC: Assuming it's still running, the International Paper paper mill would probably have a large supply of salt. Otherwise, I wouldn't be shocked if either our engineers had some, as it's used, in some amount I can't actually confirm, to build road foundations, and also to cure concrete. Alternatively, we might just have a a lot of the stuff in our own supplies, because it's used to make a lot of useful chemicals, which , and thus would both have been in the Port when it got shut down, and be useful enough to keep around.)

Jumped on a computer at the public library, look for an incoming txt wall when AT&T get off their asses and fix my service.

Until then my apologies .

Iceman's Trek 13
(OOC) I'm finally back, with the help of Andrew W. ( our mole inside the EOD/ AT&T branch) an 'Actually' helpful member of AT&T customer support sorted it out. Keep it on the DL; I'm sure being actually useful/helpful is a firing offense.

We can now re-start saving the world, one post at a time. ;)

WARNING - Incoming first of multiple txt walls.

---------------------------------------------------

Michael warms to this band of misfits, people who life threw together and they seem to have gelled into a coherent unit.

The offer of a ride to Savannah with only a couple of hour detour? A meal and someone to watch as he grabbed some shut eye? Hell yes!

(It'd be with one eye open as he trusted no one 100% to watch his ass but himself, but if they had meant him harm it would have happened when Pak's blade was resting on his spine.)

As they settle into the Garage, Tammy and Roger begin to heat water in a hotpot that uses the dune buggies cigarette lighter to draw power.
The quality of the MRE's went way up when actually served warm.

When everyone is served, casual banter begins as Rusty wheedles for any unwanted food items.

Michael asks Maggie: "So Maggie, how'd you all get into the life of resistance members?"

Rusty groans a long suffering groan.

Pak gives a minor chuckle, "Don't encourage her Michael, the only rest our ears get is either when she's chewing or snoring!"

Gregory and Sarah titter mischievously.

"Shush the all of you..." Maggie waves her plastic spork like a police truncheon "...I'm just filling silences."

Pak continues "You're right Maggie; I was being totally unfair. You're also quite whenever 'your Jacob' is near. Then you go all moonstruck schoolgirl, all demure and shy, she even blushes. It's the biggest role reversal since Jekell & Hyde."

Maggie throws the spork like a dagger and Pak casually waves it away.

Rusty snorts, catches Maggie's eye and then pretends it was only him choking instead. Now the junior party members go from veiled titters to full throated open laughter.

Maggie lifts her chin imperiously and pointedly pretends the last exchange never occurred, one would think she were truly mad if not for the laugh lines at the corners of her eyes and the upturned corners of her mouth as she faux-scowls.
"Anyhow to answer your question, we are all natives more or less of the area inside Charleston's control. To really understand us you need to understand the Origins of Liberty."

Sarah whispers to young Gregory "Pay up, I -told you- she'd do the origin story."

Crestfallen the boy hands over the hard candy from his MRE. But his eyes dart back up to Maggie in anticipation of the beloved yet too familiar story.

"As is too often the case, the story begins with suffering of some people under the yoke of Charleston. These were a few dozen men working an oil rig and feeling the overseer's boot more often than anything else.

That is until the Overseer's made the mistake on firing on an unarmed helicopter from Savannah. Twas a hornet's nest they kicked, in less than an hour platoons of men were rappelling in as helicopter gunships kept a vigil.

These were trained soldiers who knew their jobs; the riff raff serving the overseers were only thugs with guns.
Saying it was a one sided battle is putting it mildly.

The thugs resorted to blackmail and threatened to capsize the tanker from the Captain's deck, Savannah refused to be strong armed and blew the entire command deck apart with a rpg barrage and took control of the ship from steerage and the engine room.

Once they had control, they sorted thugs from the men they had abused. They ended the thugs quickly and with no joy, but they understood that rabid dogs are best laid to rest quickly.

The captives they offered a gift, a choice take some supplies and head wherever in the world they wished or come settle outside Savannah and enjoy the fruits of their own labor.

Savannah discouraged 'mob rule' and allowed those men to make their own way. Violent crime wouldn't be tolerated in their borders, and they even offered soldiers to help keep those men safe until they could fend for themselves.

Never wishing to be a burden to our new friends in Savannah, the people worked hard and learned to protect themselves. They re-christened the hamlet held to 'Liberty' to daily remember the gift of choice and the freedom to decide our own path.

Sometimes old habits die hard, someone offered our armed guardians 'tribute' in appreciation of the better life.

This unnamed soldier said something that changed 'Liberty's' way of thinking forever.

"I appreciate your offer, but I have all I need. Keep it for yourself or if you really don't need it give it to someone else who does."

That struck a chord, there were so many people under Charleston's thumb starving and struggling to make it until tomorrow.

Sometimes the struggle is so fierce you begin to wonder, why bother? Not everyone finds an answer... It was just the reality of life in Charleston's shadow. Everyone who's lived it has it etched into them, and it's always only one bad dream away.

I can see it on you too Michael, not as deep as some but there as sure as I live and breath.

In Liberty we can smile, but that reality still lingers an hour or two over the horizon. Who can put it truly behind knowing that?

The men gathered and argued is there no way to share this gift forward, that Savannah had given?

Some of those dozens of men had family or friends that were left struggling in the badlands around Charleston. Could we not sneak in and bring some of those people back here? And if they wouldn't come back couldn't our surplus be given to make their lives there BETTER?

In weeks Liberty grew from a handful of men, to hundreds of people, even whole families migrated back.

No person sitting with you tonight Michael were among that first handful rescued from that Rig, we are the beneficiaries of Savannah's gift being paid forward.

We all as individuals have our own tales to share if we wish, but they have the common thread "Suffer in Charleston's shadow until given back their freedom by a Son or Daughter of Liberty."

My crew and myself? Why we're just paying it forward.

As to becoming the resistance, that was just us evolving to give the gift of choice without losing as many as we gain. Experience is a harsh teacher.
My Jacob is a helluva gunsmith but he's no fighter, he trips over his laces when he walks the dear, but he gives back by building solid weapons and ammo for those that run the border and those who refuse to leave. Those that are too scared to leave or to arm up we still offer food or health care to as we can.

Some of us have a talent for violence when pushed... Rusty, Pak, even young Greg over there. They look out for Ol' Denmothers like me who can talk or think our way out of a scrape, or Tammy there who knows how to treat sickness with Herbs and can do a mean suture in a pinch. It all balances out.

Pak there, taught a lot of us how to survive... He was retired black ops military from over in Asia. Was it China or Korea again Pak?"
Maggies eyes twinkle at her intentional mischief.

Pak went from smiling to looking like he had bitten a persimmon.

"Niether Maggie, it was Cambodia and it is a land of much beauty and of dark hearted men like the Deacon." The Dark pall only lasts a heartbeat before Pak's mask slips back into place. "But I prefer Georgia and all the pretty peaches!"

Maggie grinned like the cheshire cat knowing her barb had evened the score for his earlier teasing. Pak smiled and tipped an imaginary cap to her.
Maggie continued on unabated, switching back to her story like she'd never left it.

"And there is always room in our vehicles and in our homes for one more back in Liberty...

We push no one to do anything they don't want to do, but so far all rescued have felt a debt, and find their own paths to contribute.
We do ask that all our citizens learn to defend themselves and never be an easy victim again.

The dissidents, and those others that seek our aid, often insist on paying in exchange with scavenged salvage. Things the raiders would steal away anyhow, that is the surplus we give to Savannah each month, we keep only enough from it to keep the wheels rolling and to expand our operations as needed.

At any one time we probably have 6-8 crews like ours working the Badlands. They form spontaneously whenever a group 'clicks' and thinks they can do the job, they make a few runs with an experienced crew to learn the hows and whys, and more importantly what NOT to do.

Crews only run with Liberty's Council's approval and with the understanding, we aren't an Army, and we aren't trying to wage a war. We are only helping free those we can and give aid to those that won't leave.

There are some Hardcore resistance people out here in the Bad pushing for us to bring a war, but Liberty doesn't have the resources, or manpower to win a shooting war. Harass and obstruct is the agenda we argue back... don't bring Savannah a war until they say they're ready for it.

One day Savannah will bring the 'Real War' and if the Rig stories are the right of it, the thugs of the Esoteric Order of Dagon, the sodding fish fondlers, will suffer a rude awakening. I swear, Savannah even has two Jaegers!".

Michael thought to himself, maybe one Jaeger piloted by two untested rookies in lord only knows what current state of disrepair, and another buried on its last legs in the heart of enemy territory.

Maggie continues on with barely a pause to inhale. "Mammoth is a beast with at least a half dozen kills, and the other one, whatz'is name Pak?"

Pak smiles 'Whitecap Triton'.

Maggie grins "That ones thin and wiry, same way a Sea Lion is and he looks like he'd not leave a ripple in his wake."
Michael sits for a heartbeat like he'd been pole-axed, mouth half open forgetting he was in mid-chew.

At least Six kills?!? Ezra and Keerat were owed an apology when he got back. And a second Jaeger and it wasn't on any of the active rosters -OR- even being planned as far as he knew of, and being regularly melded with a Marshal there weren't a lot ways to keep a Jaeger a secret.

Could Savannah be doing good enough to have -built- a new 'Jaeger' from the ground up? Jeez Louise, was he out of the freakin loop.

He came to himself a few seconds too late to cover his slip, both Maggie and Pak were staring holes in him.

Maggie is the first to break the silent tension.

"I'll be damned, you -ARE- him! You're Michael Casey,one of the co-pilots for 'Bracer Phoenix'.
You had the same look on your face when that talk show host during his live interview brought up the death of your wife and daughter, a lost look mixed with confusion. I cried for you that day, that heartless bastard ambushing you for ratings.

Everyone Savannah way, they think your dead! Where are Hunter and Angel? Was Bracer destroyed? Shit! I'm just concerned and curious, share no more than you will.

As the leader; I'm scrubbing the arms delivery, Browdrick has missed the last two meets and left our dangly bits flapping in the breeze waiting on him. He takes a back seat to getting this man home to Savannah. We can drop the MRE's at Sally's squat she'll see it gets to where it's needed.

A half hour after this Mist lifts we'll be Savannah bound running hot and pray no drones are watching. We're not far enough in for us to be likely found. And I feel getting you to Savannah's Council ASAP may get us a step closer to giving Charleston the finger."

(OOC) If you want more info, respond as Michael, an omake style response or simply a list of question you want me to ask in Michaels voice. If this answered your questions about the resistance and your content with information given then just let it lie.

Last edited:
Special thanks to @BadKatt85 for acting as my voice on here in my absence, Many sacrificial offerings were made in her honor.

("Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.")

Edit: No 'actual' AT&T employees currently missing are either Shubs or Zuuls.

He can read emails but typing on his phone gives him fits (It's his pudgy Sausage fingers :D).

Edit Edit: Just when I'm in mid-praise of you you have to pick on the poor internet deprived man and his sausage fingers... :cry: ;)

Last edited:
Although there has been plenty of discussion about the tactical map on pg 133 and possible tactics there is yet no 'Official' vote capable [X] plan.

Back