Mammoth Apostate vs the World 1: "Lost in the Mist"

(OOC) Actually as we are a deviant version of the main rules I am invoking QM fiat, and declaring defensive augments operate on a 2:1 instead of standard 1:1 when compared to city defensive stat.

IE. city defense 1 may host 2 augments, city defense 2 may host 4 augments, etc.

So as an example with current Def Stat Savannah can host both the Smithy and Naval Dock Works, more improvement will require you upgrade Def stat first.

Edit: Macon has Airfields & Hangars on site, meaning they can host 1 additional def. Augment.

Free troop construction actions? Ermagawd yes please!!! Smithy and Naval Dock Work now, then Bump Defense stat by 1 (at least ;)) & I.T.R. and Motorpool would be my choices for immediate activation. Let Macon be our Aviation hub atm.

Let Macon get the Strike Eagles airworthy, and then even with an operational window we should rule the skies between it and the Apache Longbow.

Brain spinning, going to write up a rough downtime plan for discussion while Smiths continues to recharge his batteries please no rubber stamping it, it is also a space filler for us to chat in Smiths down time.

I'm certain that if Airfields and Hangars (Free Aircraft construction and upgrade Actions), and Naval shipyards and docks (Ship construction and upgrade Actions), exist there should be equivalents for Ground Vehicles or Infantry as well. The 'Smithy' is one research action away from being a buildable structure (upgrading our Elites to kick even more ass would be niiice).
"Tactical Equipment Maintenance Facility" might be one option. More for maintenance, I think, but I haven't really dug into the specs.
Army Sustainment: Redefining the Future of Tactical Equipment Maintenance Facilities

And, better still, Savannah is where they keep the files on these. The Army Corp of Engineers for the Savannah District were the guys who researched and designed this facility in the first place. What are the f*cking odds?
https://www.customvault.com/docs/specs/US Army Corp of Engineers - TEMF 2012.pdf

Nice!!

Nixeu you are a champion at obscure resources, and I'm sure part of any such programs would be cataloging obsolete/ out dated gear. Sometimes an outmoded piece of gear fits an unthought of niche nicely.

See @cokerpilot AA used for small scale historically mirrors it's use in Vietnam for chewing jungle down complete with any lurkers hidden within .

Nice!!

Nixeu you are a champion at obscure resources, and I'm sure part of any such programs would be cataloging obsolete/ out dated gear. Sometimes an outmoded piece of gear fits an unthought of niche nicely.

See @cokerpilot AA used for small scale historically mirrors it's use in Vietnam for chewing jungle down complete with any lurkers hidden within .
Just a master of Google-fu, I'm afraid. You give me far too much credit. I'm just good at refining search terms until something useful pops out.

It's cute you undervalue the above talent... asking google alternate 'ways' to pop something useful -IS- a A++ credit worthy skill.
I'd rate being able to figure out what is and isn't useful highly, but the other one really just comes down to knowing words. I searched "tank maintenance and repair" (which got me stuff for storage tanks), then refined it into "military vehicle maintenance and repair facilities ", followed by "army maintanence and repair facilities" after finding that first article.

Originally, I was just looking for the right term for the general type of facility. Using the right jargon helps immensely. If at first you don't succeed, use a synonym or add some limiting terms. Repeat until you find something useful. It's not exactly an arcane art or anything.

Originally, I was just looking for the right term for the general type of facility. Using the right jargon helps immensely. If at first you don't succeed, use a synonym or add some limiting terms. Repeat until you find something useful. It's not exactly an arcane art or anything.

This is the undervalued part...

Your Edison-esque levels of persistence. Edison is credited as saying " "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Edit: ( /whispering to Nixeu: Dude take the compliment :facepalm: LOL )

Last edited:
This is the undervalued part...

Your Edison-esque levels of persistence. Edison is credited as saying " "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Edit: ( /whispering to Nixeu: Dude take the compliment :facepalm: LOL )
If there's one thing having time on my hands taught me, it was how to be methodical. Well, okay, my dad and stepdad helped, as they both tend towards "take your time and do it right" in their work. Not always the best at applying it, but having a lot of enforced down-time due to illness helps.

Honestly, I'm better at it in the planning stages than application, often times. Especially when under a time limit. But that's just how things be sometimes. Planning doesn't survive contact with the enemy and all that.

And yes, I do undervalue a lot of my skills, because a lot of them feel natural to me. I don't feel like I've earned the praise, since it was so easy. As a result, I kinda worry I'm one of those guys coasting by on talent who doesn't learn how to put effort in...even though some of the "talent" is in being willing to put the time in, now that I think about it. Probably started because I rarely complete projects (well, okay, usually video games). Of course my projects/goals in games are often so big that "not complete" can still mean "put in tens of hours of work".

This is a barebones 'suggestion' feel free to challenge an idea if you have something in mind that rates a higher priority/makes more sense. This includes anyones ideas for more effective language to get the desired results. This is merely to promote discussion

Savannah
Free Actions:
[ ] one free J-Tech Research Project
Design quick release/installation clamps that still hold armor securely enough to engage 'safely' in K-scale combat (@Fyrstorms
mission specific armor pet project)

[ ] one free K-Sciences Research Project
Burn token to understand how Hakuja (sp?) hide retarded flame/ acid (eyes towards J-scale armor that mirrors that or a spray on liner for conventional use)

[-] one free Mist Life Sciences (MLS) Research Project
Unavailable, was used for understanding Mist formation as it occured.

[ ] one free Jaeger Repair or Upgrade action (Hephaestus)
Repairs if needed -if not- hold for installation of armor clamps on Whitecap's armor/chassis (mission specific armor)

[ ] one free High Energy Lab (HEL) Project
Use jail notes token and hammer out the last bits needed for jet engine upgrade tech (air superiority)

[-] one free Bureau Paranormal Research & Defense (Magic) Project
Unavailable, was used for understanding Mist formation as it occurred.

[-] one free Comms action
Unavailable, was used for warning civilians in range about Mist formation and the dangers it hides.

Five General actions (1 per Pop) :
-1 Do research to develop our own E-warfare & ECCM capabilities
-2 expand Sensors to match comms this will broaden our area of influence to allow us to detect threats further out, and brings Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Air Field and the Fort Stewart Deployment Operations & Rail Marshaling Area into our legitimate salvage range of Savannah. Military info, gear, and trains? That a trifecta!!! Let's Get Cmd.Frost some goodies toward his pet project, Ft. Stewart/Hunter army airfield seems like a step in that direction.
-3 Build Naval docks (free troop build or upgrade action each turn)
-4 hammer out the complimentary 'inner' armor to upgrade Combat jackets, as per KnightDisciple suggestion.
-5 Upgrade Savannah's City Defense Stat. ( To 2+) This may allow us to roll infrastructure from Hunter/Ft. Stewart into Savannah and gain city Augments like Infantry Training Regiment -or- Motorpool

Macon
[ ] one free Airfield & Hangars Action -
Airfield & hangars provide an automatic 20% discount on all aircraft built in that city. A city with an air field & hangar gains 1 free action/turn to construct, repair, upgrade, or install new aircraft equipment.
Repair the F-15E's to get them air worthy

General actions (1 per Pop) :
-1 increase Population to 3 (increase our future action economy)

------------------
There are other projects equally worthy of a slot, here are 2 off the top of my head.

Train from Savannah-Macon-Atlanta get route open with regular train (until we can research Armored train)

Assign an additional 2x Cobra's & 2x ALSV's to expand Savannah Protectorate Law Enforcement patrol capability (would bring them to 4x ALSV, 3 cobra, and a k-9 unit on staff), the Cobra's at least have the speed to be still used as possible reinforcements with some luck. From Savannah to edge of 45 mile Area of influence would be a 18 minute trip.

(Cobra 10 mv/turn = 240 kmh / 149 mph (if a turn is understood to be roughly 15 seconds) about matches the suggested actual suggested operational speed of AH-1 SuperCobra, similarly most of our vehicle (tanks , deuce and a halfs, etc.) move at 4 mv/turn = 96 kmh / 59 mph Smiths seems to have done a pretty accurate portrayal of RL speeds.)

This is a barebones 'suggestion' feel free to challenge an idea if you have something in mind that rates a higher priority/makes more sense. This includes anyones ideas for more effective language to get the desired results. This is merely to promote discussion

Savannah
Free Actions:
[ ] one free J-Tech Research Project
Design quick release/installation clamps that still hold armor securely enough to engage 'safely' in K-scale combat (@Fyrstorms
mission specific armor pet project)

[ ] one free K-Sciences Research Project
Burn token to understand how Hakuja (sp?) hide retarded flame/ acid (eyes towards J-scale armor that mirrors that or a spray on liner for conventional use)

[-] one free Mist Life Sciences (MLS) Research Project
Unavailable, was used for understanding Mist formation as it occured.

[ ] one free Jaeger Repair or Upgrade action (Hephaestus)
Repairs if needed -if not- hold for installation of armor clamps on Whitecap's armor/chassis (mission specific armor)

[ ] one free High Energy Lab (HEL) Project
Use jail notes token and hammer out the last bits needed for jet engine upgrade tech (air superiority)

[-] one free Bureau Paranormal Research & Defense (Magic) Project
Unavailable, was used for understanding Mist formation as it occurred.

[-] one free Comms action
Unavailable, was used for warning civilians in range about Mist formation and the dangers it hides.

Five General actions (1 per Pop) :
-1 Do research to develop our own E-warfare & ECCM capabilities
-2 expand Sensors to match comms this will broaden our area of influence to allow us to detect threats further out, and brings Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Air Field and the Fort Stewart Deployment Operations & Rail Marshaling Area into our legitimate salvage range of Savannah. Military info, gear, and trains? That a trifecta!!! Let's Get Cmd.Frost some goodies toward his pet project, Ft. Stewart/Hunter army airfield seems like a step in that direction.
-3 Build Naval docks (free troop build or upgrade action each turn)
-4 hammer out the complimentary 'inner' armor to upgrade Combat jackets, as per KnightDisciple suggestion.
-5 Upgrade Savannah's City Defense Stat. ( To 2+) This may allow us to roll infrastructure from Hunter/Ft. Stewart into Savannah and gain city Augments like Infantry Training Regiment -or- Motorpool

Macon
[ ] one free Airfield & Hangars Action -
Airfield & hangars provide an automatic 20% discount on all aircraft built in that city. A city with an air field & hangar gains 1 free action/turn to construct, repair, upgrade, or install new aircraft equipment.
Repair the F-15E's to get them air worthy

General actions (1 per Pop) :
-1 increase Population to 3 (increase our future action economy)

------------------
There are other projects equally worthy of a slot, here are 2 off the top of my head.

Train from Savannah-Macon-Atlanta get route open with regular train (until we can research Armored train)

Assign an additional 2x Cobra's & 2x ALSV's to expand Savannah Protectorate Law Enforcement patrol capability (would bring them to 4x ALSV, 3 cobra, and a k-9 unit on staff), the Cobra's at least have the speed to be still used as possible reinforcements with some luck. From Savannah to edge of 45 mile Area of influence would be a 18 minute trip.

(Cobra 10 mv/turn = 240 kmh / 149 mph (if a turn is understood to be roughly 15 seconds) about matches the suggested actual suggested operational speed of AH-1 SuperCobra, similarly most of our vehicle (tanks , deuce and a halfs, etc.) move at 4 mv/turn = 96 kmh / 59 mph Smiths seems to have done a pretty accurate portrayal of RL speeds.)
I'm hesitant on the K-Science research. I'd prefer something that focuses more on just understanding more about the Kaiju, or the Mist Monsters? Remember, all these VTW games are nominally independent of each other, and so they don't have knowledge of stuff like the Hive Mind. Know Thy Enemy and all that.

I'm hesitant on the K-Science research. I'd prefer something that focuses more on just understanding more about the Kaiju, or the Mist Monsters? Remember, all these VTW games are nominally independent of each other, and so they don't have knowledge of stuff like the Hive Mind. Know Thy Enemy and all that.

From Black Site investigation:

Hadley was able to disengage from the drift and stumble out to the general lab area, and was able to relay the above was stolen from him and the following additional information before his death:
  • Kaiju are not created equally, some of the Hivemind are beyond the bestial intelligence he had anticipated.
  • The Hivemind is controlled by the Precursors, they are shielded minds of great intellect controlling & constructing the Kaiju.
  • That a large party of kaiju were ordered to find Hadley's facility and to destroy it beyond hope of salvage.

Not saying more general research wouldn't prove invaluable, but you do know of the existence of a hivemind.

Last edited:

Knight I just plugged something in K-Science that sounded useful. We actually have an intact main brain & Sage the Kaiju who projected an EM forcefield on tap. This is just wee hours early discussion for Downtime while Smith relaxes... There are still 2 Sammael's out there 'somewhere' to be dealt with.

From Black Site investigation:

Not saying more general research wouldn't prove invaluable, but you do know of the existence of a hivemind.
....Blargleflat. Well, fair enough.

I'm still hesitant to dive right into Jaeger/Kaiju hybridization. I'd be more interested in things like:
-Finding ways to more quickly and easily neutralize Kaiju Blue
-Finding ways to reverse Anteverse terraforming.
-Finding more ways to use Kaiju corpses for things like fertilizer or whatnot.

Knight I just plugged something in K-Science that sounded useful. We actually have an intact main brain & Sage the Kaiju who projected an EM forcefield on tap. This is just wee hours early discussion for Downtime while Smith relaxes... There are still 2 Sammael's out there 'somewhere' to be dealt with.
That's fair! I'm just trying to be proactive and give you feedback beyond "yeah", "Nope", etc.

I'm still hesitant to dive right into Jaeger/Kaiju hybridization. I'd be more interested in things like:
-Finding ways to more quickly and easily neutralize Kaiju Blue
Research Token - Kaiju Cleanup (Ickthorn Nest Moss Sample)

A smaller team of his workers begin the cleanup service only to find an oddity, the cost of cleanup and area involved are DECREASING.

An innocent looking green moss that was first confused for terrestrial moss soaks up Kaiju Blue and ammonia , sprouts match head sized black flowers, then blackens and dies. 500 r paid in; 150 R returned as unnecessary.

Copious samples in various stages of its life cycle obtained. Cleanup Research token gained!
:V

-Finding ways to reverse Anteverse terraforming.

"The Hungry Hungry Hippo" Super Heavy - Let's Wreck Ferngully

This tank treaded vehicle is specifically designed for the quick leveling and harvest of Antiverse Nests with a minimum of risk. 8 high speed disk mulchers in front of the vehicle do an initial cut feeding raw antiverse stuff into a mulcher/shredder/wood chipper that sprays it backwards in the attached super heavy trailer. For those harder to reach areas a rear mounted crane arm maneuvers an excavator mulcher with a large suction hose to retrieve the debris. For point defense 2 K-scale M-134 vulcans mounted port and starboard as well as numerous (4 hvy ssc) m-60 hardpoints with overlapping fields of fire .

"Ramming Speed!"
:V:V

-Finding more ways to use Kaiju corpses for things like fertilizer or whatnot.

:) This sounds like a good line of research to increase profitability of kaiju kills...

(Couldn't resist giving you a hard time Knight) LOL plz forgive me

I'm still hesitant to dive right into Jaeger/Kaiju hybridization.

I would be too if I had meant hybridization.

I was meaning to glean a better understanding if it could be duplicated as a type of impregnated armor.

Where whatever process is responsible, is made inorganically and used to improve existing armors.

Last edited:
I would be too if I had meant hybridization.

I was meaning to glean a better understanding if it could be duplicated as a type of impregnated armor.

Where whatever process is responsible, is made inorganically and used to improve existing armors.
Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That makes way more sense. In which case I'm 100% behind it!

Now I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Rather than growing Macon's population we could build a larger air fleet rocking a 20% discount.

Cobras have proven their worth, & they are GLTD friendly.

Now I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Rather than growing Macon's population we could build a larger air fleet rocking a 20% discount.

Cobras have proven their worth, & they are GLTD friendly.

With Macon's Manufacturing of Zero? Technically you could... I wouldn't ride in one (or let one fly over MY head).

Last edited:
With Macon's Manufacturing of Zero? Technically you could... I wouldn't ride in one (or let one fly over MY head).

This reminds me exactly why helicopters have a critical component called the Jesus Nut.

It also reminds me of that one quote by... I think it was Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager? I know he was involved in the conversation where it came up.
"I don't like flying in anything whose wings are going faster than the fuselage".

Back