Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Idle thought:
Are turbo-electric drives going to be vaguely more respected in this timeline? Since I assume Thompson is going to be very careful about that torpedo that shorted out Saratoga (ONLY ONCE) and somehow soured it for everyone.
Also, @Skywalker_T-65
Do you, uh, not check your PM's often?

I'm not hyped for Devil's Due. I actually dont know what Devil's Due is.

What's so wrong with Turbo-electric propulsion?

The advantages over shaft transmission don't pan out in the real world, given the tech of the era. Especially not to a sufficient degree to justify the expense.

We've got much better tech now, and turbo-electric drive is under consideration for the Ohio-successor.

Actually the advantages *did* pan out, they just weighed far too much once the WNT came into effect. TE was used to great effect in many DEs, specifically the Buckley class. TE was seriously considered for every US battleship design through the Montana's but it would have been too expensive to develop the new machinery by the time BB-65 designs were being finalized.

Eliminate the WNT and TE would have remained the USN system of choice for all major combatants.

Turboelectric Drive in American Capital Ships

Found an article. It was a combination of weight and cost that killed turbo-electric transmission.

TL,DR: The higher cost of turbo-electric transmission, given Depression-Era budgets, is a major strike against it.

Good article, I will point out however that from Friedman the USN was willing to pay the increased cost for the advantages that turbo-electric gave them in terms of subdivision and layout, but couldn't marry turbo-electric with an effective and balanced ship design under the limits of the treaty. Turbo-electric always survived the cost considerations only to be (very reluctantly) shelved in favour of the lighter geared options at the 'now we have to get the design to fit the damn treaty' stage of design.

Sidenote: anyone know why it was called "Turbo" electric, not something like (Steam)-Turbine Electric? Somewhat confusing when there are Electric Turbos on the market that do something completely different.

Back