I mean, out of the setting I think GW was afraid that AdminHammer E1 would not sell as well as the next version of Warhammer.
They could have folded it into the lore. For example, he gets the logistics and systemic issues of the admech to be less shit and now they can make new and shiny stuff, he reforms the guard now you have new formation, he updates the codex Astartes and now they have new roles, bam. Similar effect, cool new units and wargear, but now the source of it fits the character.

that would also cool and fit the setting more, the empre shakes off a bit of crazy and hulks out, play up they could have been so much more where they not so mad.

Last edited:
Hell, there really wasn't even a need for new labels.

Just make true-scale astartes and buff them in 8/9e to be more of an elites army because those were the two out-of-universe problems that people had with the original marines. 8e was an entire overhaul of the system (for the worse). There really wasn't a better time to do it.

I think that Guilliman actually made some reforms. Some High Lords ended up rebelling because of them in The Regent's Shadow. I figure that they weren't mentioned in detail because GW's writers, are, well, writers, not industrial engineers. Not to mention that keeping the reforms vague means that nobody gets upset because what they thought was a necessary evil turns out to be not so necessary.

Plus the main body that really needs to be reformed is the Adeptus Administratum, which really isn't featured much in canon. An ancient and hidebound department that is suddenly being reformed with influence, jobs, and even lives at stake, might make for a good setting for a Warhammer Crime novel, though.

I think that Guilliman actually made some reforms. Some High Lords ended up rebelling because of them in The Regent's Shadow. I figure that they weren't mentioned in detail because GW's writers, are, well, writers, not industrial engineers. Not to mention that keeping the reforms vague means that nobody gets upset because what they thought was a necessary evil turns out to be not so necessary.

Plus the main body that really needs to be reformed is the Adeptus Administratum, which really isn't featured much in canon. An ancient and hidebound department that is suddenly being reformed with influence, jobs, and even lives at stake, might make for a good setting for a Warhammer Crime novel, though.
To be exact, the group known as the Hexarchy attempted to coup the Primarch.

In paticular, the deposed Master of the Administratum Irthu Haemotalion, the deposed Ecclesiarch Baldo Slyst, as well as the current Grand Provost Marshal Aveliza Drachmar, Lord Commander Militant Mar Av Ashariel, Lord High Admiral Merelda Pereth, and Grand Master of Assassins Fadix(by which we mean Fadix was a mole on the inside who killed them all).

As for why...so there is a concept in Imperial Law and governance called the Imperium Eterna. Basically, they believed that the Imperium before Roboute to represent a perfect realm where the Lex Imperialis reflected the Emperor's will. Many of them opposed this. As well, Terra was still facing major unrest and rebellions across it from the formation of the Great Rift. Lasty, they felt that Primarchs ruling was a bad thing for the IoM and that humans should rule(ironically, they are correct in this is what the Emperor wants...once the mess is cleaned up). The last 2 reasons are kinda reasonable reasons to be upset with Roboute over. The first can die in a fire once we are in a better position.

8e was an entire overhaul of the system (for the worse).
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh hard disagree tbh? Yeah, it simplified a lot of things, but on the flipside, it simplified a lot of things. The 40k rules used to be... a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Evidently that's okay by some people, but I can personally attest that for at least some of us it was a pretty huge turnoff.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh hard disagree tbh? Yeah, it simplified a lot of things, but on the flipside, it simplified a lot of things. The 40k rules used to be... a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Evidently that's okay by some people, but I can personally attest that for at least some of us it was a pretty huge turnoff.
I enjoy having slightly less keywords to learn. And subjectively I do find the new datasheets easier to read. Command points feel part of the game to me at this point. The only way I'd try to learn old 7th edition rules is if somehow was convinced that 7th edition had a lower learning curve than 8th and 9th edition. None of this instant death eternal warrior brain mines concussive adamanium armor declare Waa guh stuff

Last edited:
I like Primaris wargear. I like Primaris vehicles. I like their style. I like their augments. I hate how they were introduced and how they continue to be a cancer on the Space Marine mythos.
That keeps reminding me of that little piece in Derain von Harken's fic... somehow, I get the impression he isn't too fond of them either.
Derain von Harken said:
Then the giant astartes with half his head missing got back up threw a grenade at their squad leader.

The crackling half psychic exclamation was incomprehensible to someone outside their squadtacnet but it translated to 'What in the fuck??' followed by focused fire from three Solarians until the head and most of the body was completely obliterated.

No one not even an astartes should be able to survive much less recover in scant seconds from having half his head near baked off and a baseline human torso sized hole punched though his astartes torso.

Yet this shock would have to wait.

Last edited:
Aftershocks - dptullos
Aftershocks

NO.

His Father's voice echoed in his head for an instant that was also an eternity, and Dark Apostle Abdi-Ili wept in agony and grief.

When he finally rose to his feet, the last of the Guard lay broken around him. He was surrounded by a field of corpses, holy sacrifices to the True Gods, but the sight brought no comfort to his heart. A thousand burning worlds meant nothing besides the blasphemy that he had witnessed. The eternal had been murdered, the divine had been defiled, and the greatest work of his Holy Father had been undone.

"Anathema," he snarled, feeling his Father's hatred burning through him. Feeling the full and undivided attention of the True Gods turn towards the Abomination who had done the impossible. "Kill the Anathema."

A figure in gray armor looked down upon the images before him. No interpretation was perfect. Their understanding of His Will was always flawed and incomplete. The Emperor's Tarot was not a reliable means of guidance, even for those with centuries of experience.

But he did not think that his interpretation was wrong. It was not True Death, but a...rebirth. A transformation. "A miracle," he said, hearing his voice echo through the empty chamber. "She gave us a miracle."

Neheb could not remember the last time that he had laughed. It had been before Prospero, before the Emperor's Executioners fell upon his homeworld.

The Rubricae froze in place. One old woman in a tattered uniform lashed out with a bayonet, desperately trying to kill the empty suit of power armor with a sharpened metal stick, and Neheb laughed harder. The soldiers of the Corpse-Emperor hadn't fled from the implacable advance of the Rubric Marines, but several of them flinched away from the sound.

"For Russ and the Emperor!," their sergeant roared, and Neheb found to his surprise that he wasn't angry. These children weren't Space Wolves. They hadn't earned his vengeance.

Neheb, this changes nothing. Kill them all, and we shall be one step closer to destroying the Wolves.

He smiled at the raven perched on his shoulder. "She didn't kill him," Neheb said. "The girl decided that Angron should get a second chance. Tell me, daemon, was this part of the plan?"

Aftershocks

NO.

His Father's voice echoed in his head for an instant that was also an eternity, and Dark Apostle Abdi-Ili wept in agony and grief.

When he finally rose to his feet, the last of the Guard lay broken around him. He was surrounded by a field of corpses, holy sacrifices to the True Gods, but the sight brought no comfort to his heart. A thousand burning worlds meant nothing besides the blasphemy that he had witnessed. The eternal had been murdered, the divine had been defiled, and the greatest work of his Holy Father had been undone.

"Anathema," he snarled, feeling his Father's hatred burning through him. Feeling the full and undivided attention of the True Gods turn towards the Abomination who had done the impossible. "Kill the Anathema."

A figure in gray armor looked down upon the images before him. No interpretation was perfect. Their understanding of His Will was always flawed and incomplete. The Emperor's Tarot was not a reliable means of guidance, even for those with centuries of experience.

But he did not think that his interpretation was wrong. It was not True Death, but a...rebirth. A transformation. "A miracle," he said, hearing his voice echo through the empty chamber. "She gave us a miracle."

Neheb could not remember the last time that he had laughed. It had been before Prospero, before the Emperor's Executioners fell upon his homeworld.

The Rubricae froze in place. One old woman in a tattered uniform lashed out with a bayonet, desperately trying to kill the empty suit of power armor with a sharpened metal stick, and Neheb laughed harder. The soldiers of the Corpse-Emperor hadn't fled from the implacable advance of the Rubric Marines, but several of them flinched away from the sound.

"For Russ and the Emperor!," their sergeant roared, and Neheb found to his surprise that he wasn't angry. These children weren't Space Wolves. They hadn't earned his vengeance.

Neheb, this changes nothing. Kill them all, and we shall be one step closer to destroying the Wolves.

He smiled at the raven perched on his shoulder. "She didn't kill him," Neheb said. "The girl decided that Angron should get a second chance. Tell me, daemon, was this part of the plan?"

Hm. How many different scenes is this? It reads like 2-3 but there's no breaks to signify a scene shift.

You know I do wonder about this in the abstract. The Chaos Space Marines, the really stupidly old ones, veterans of the Heresy are to a large degree operating on the logic that they are damned forever so they may as well work for the Dark Gods, but some of them at least understand they are slaves to them. Would any of them seek out Pandora of their own will if and when they find out about Angron? To what extent do they still have their own will to be able to do that?

It is an interesting exploration of the corruptive power of chaos. I mean a Daemon Prince could not seek out freedom I do not think (though Angron came close in fighting badly and seeking death), but what can a 'normal' Chaos Space Marine do?

Last edited:
Of the Champions, Typhus and Lucius are irreversibly lost, Kharn has his moments of lucidity, and honestly? I think it's very possible for us to steal Ahriman away. He's always seeking out a cure for the Rubric, and intends to sacrifice himself to accomplish it, to atone for what he had wrought.

Of the Champions, Typhus and Lucius are irreversibly lost, Kharn has his moments of lucidity, and honestly? I think it's very possible for us to steal Ahriman away. He's always seeking out a cure for the Rubric, and intends to sacrifice himself to accomplish it, to atone for what he had wrought.

I think those who serve Tzeench in general are uniquely vulnerable to Pandora's offers, simply because the way they were ensnared in the first place was often hope. We can give hope, now without the monkey's paw aspect.

I think those who serve Tzeench in general are uniquely vulnerable to Pandora's offers, simply because the way they were ensnared in the first place was often hope. We can give hope, now without the monkey's paw aspect.

Also there is a matter that... well Pandora has thumbed her nose at Tzeench before. See her becoming the Goddess of Sacrifice that wasn't corrupted by Chaos.

Throw in the familial theming and you have an older sister both coming back for her younger brothers, who made a very similar mistake to her and showing the way out she found.

Redeeming Ahriman might prove difficult. Not because of bringing his Brothers Back. That was easily done by Eldar, but because well he's kind of spent ten thousand years doing nothing but torment them for the scraps of knowledge needed to bring his brothers back. I know that generally speaking anyone who seen our deed of purifying Angron wouldn't argue with us, but I'm not sure the Eldar could be so forgiving.

He is the epitome of The ends justify the means.

Last edited:

true for the Thousand Sons , the chains Tzeench uses to hold the Thousand Sons are hopelessness, the sunk cost fallacy , desperation and a lack of alternatives or other options (as far as Tzeench is concerned he is the only sort of hope they will ever get and the rest of the legion know it)

true for the Thousand Sons , the chains Tzeench uses to hold the Thousand Sons are hopelessness, the sunk cost fallacy , desperation and a lack of alternatives or other options (as far as Tzeench is concerned he is the only sort of hope they will ever get and the rest of the legion know it)

Seems poetic if you ask me, bringing hope and ending a cycle of Tzeentch plans was how Pandora got her start into the god business after all.

What about Fabius Bile? From what I've read about him he doesn't have strong ties to any of the Chaos Gods, and is more obsessed with learning the ultimate secrets of the Space Marine augmentation process than any divine goal.

What about Fabius Bile? From what I've read about him he doesn't have strong ties to any of the Chaos Gods, and is more obsessed with learning the ultimate secrets of the Space Marine augmentation process than any divine goal.
1. Fabius Bile is not one of the champions, which are the mortal champions of specific gods.
2. Bile wants to replace humanity with his New Men, which lack such useless things as "empathy" and "cost-benefit analysis".

Bile looked Slaanesh in the face, had a heart attack, restarted his heart with drugs, then denied gods existed to the deamon he was talking to

Hm. How many different scenes is this? It reads like 2-3 but there's no breaks to signify a scene shift.

Three. Dark Apostle, Gray Knight, and Thousand Sons.

Part of the problem is that I imagine- though I could be wrong- that the Thousand Sons still fiercely and obsessively hate the Wolves. They hope to regain their lost brothers, but they also hope to see Fenris burn and the Wolves utterly destroyed.

We aren't going to let them murder millions of innocent people to avenge Prospero, which would be a problem.

Redeeming Ahriman might prove difficult. Not because of bringing his Brothers Back. That was easily done by Eldar, but because well he's kind of spent ten thousand years doing nothing but torment them for the scraps of knowledge needed to bring his brothers back. I know that generally speaking anyone who seen our deed of purifying Angron wouldn't argue with us, but I'm not sure the Eldar could be so forgiving.

He is the epitome of The ends justify the means.

If we had the means to fix the Rubic, which I don't think we do, we could just fix the Rubric and send Ahriman to hide out in the Warp with our Deva.

He's a terrible person and a fair trial would probably see him sentenced to death or life imprisonment, but that describes pretty much all of our allies outside the Deva.

Bile looked Slaanesh in the face, had a heart attack, restarted his heart with drugs, then denied gods existed to the deamon he was talking to
While I think that denying what's right in front of you is height of stupidity, that took some serious balls.

Back