Before even them, we probably should focus on the Adepta Sororitas. We really shouldn't let Celestine's work on preparing them for us go to waste. Might make easier to subvert the Ecclesiarchy later too.
Yeah, especially because the Sororita is the armed arm of the Ecclesiarchy. If the gun-nuns are with us, it leaves the Space Pope with hardly any military forces. That'll very helpful if we need to "convince" him our cause is the best.

I personally agree that the Sororitas can wait. Having Celestine work on them last turn was a mistake, in my opinion. If we had assigned her to the Mechanicus Concessions, then even if she didn't get them all done, we could at least point to her as doing something and leaving less for us to do this turn, instead of us having to take care of all 4 years worth of Concessions in a single turn.

I think it'd be best to have her and Draigo work on the Concessions, that way there's less for Pandora to have to do once the ritual is finished. If they manage to finish early, then they can go back to doing whatever they want.

For the record, I was not advocating for doing anything about the Adepta Sororitas on this turn. I was just saying that we should do them before trying to subvert the Ecclesiarchy.

Also, yes, not sending Celestine to clear the AdMech concessions was a clear mistake from us. I think that at least a bit of reason for it was that we foolishly hadn't asked from Swordo about how powerful T2 Agents were. And so didn't realize that Celestine could basically solo the job in one turn.

Presumably because she also has her own personal Deva Legion to call upon due to Pandora's deal with the Emperor, but don't quote me on this last part. If its not due to that... Then I'm not exactly sure how she would have done it without any additional support. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong and she would have actually needed some Imperial support to do that?

Anone else think setting up Celestine and Sanguinius on a date would be a good idea?.........ndn Celestine hilariously mistaking Sanguinius for a woman resulting in his mortification that even after 10K+ years people still think he's a girl

Did someone wind up spending Omake AP on finding the Star Child during this turn? I know we finished off the Sanguinius revival via Omake AP, but I'm fairly sure I remember someone spending Omake AP in the Star Child action.

Last edited:
Did someone wind up spending Omake AP on finding the Star Child during this turn? I know we finished off the Sanguinius revival via Omake AP, but I'm fairly sure I remember someone spending Omake AP in the Star Child action.
I don't remember who, but someone earned AP for writing an after-action report on the Battle Beneath The Throne and spent it on the Star Child. (I also earned 1 AP that way, and spent it on Sanguinius.)
Then someone earned another AP for suggesting a great name for the Heavenly Order and spent it on finishing Sanguinius.

A Drums Of Justice: Terran Arbiter Quest [40k] - Profilozof New
A Drums Of Justice: Terran Arbiter Quest [40k]
Turn 13: The 13th Black Crusade and its Consequences
You are the Grand Provost Marshal, Theromestes Xempyre Kleng, and you are taking a shower after 13 days of hunting witches who tried to summon servants of the Blood God on the Holy Terra. You wonder why those forsaken fools tried to do something so stupid, but then you remember that you are talking about the people who sell their souls to the Great Enemy instead of doing the right and logical thing of joining Telepathica. You would prefer psykers not to exist, but not even God-Emperor could grant such miracles, and sanctioned ones are very good at killing the witches, so you are okay with the current status quo...
That was a lie. You are doing great in the killing witches department, but the rest of your job as Grand Provost Marshal is an utter mess; the current skill and competence of many of your current colleagues notwithstanding, millennia of neglect by the previous high lords made your job a mess. WHY ARE THERE 9 DIFFERENT LAWS ABOUT THE HEIGHT OF LAWNS ON HOLY TERRA ALONE?! In your 130 years of service you never saw any plant called "grass", why just why?!

Your daily struggle to not cut all of your paperwork into ribbons continued as you exited the shower and saw that your predecessor did, in fact, sign up on multiple stupid laws like that... You need recaf.
At least your workload shouldn't worsen, but convincing your fellow high lords to undo so many comprises and bribe-backed laws will take a lot of time. Your anger at that alpha fucker whose execution put you in this job is ever-growing. The only thing left for you is to pray to God Emperor for a miracle as you work on the paperwork that is older than your great-grandmother.

As it turns out, while you were preventing a daemon summoning, the accursed bastard cracked Cadia. Literally, in this case, by throwing a xeno equivalent of Phalanx at it. There went your chances of passing any reforms in this century. At least many of the Cadians evacuated in time thanks to either an unsanctioned psyker who somehow didn't fall to chaos before Black Ships could pick her up or an actual living saint; and oh boy, will the Ecclesiarch be annoying for the next few years, the man has heart in the right place and his focus on the Great Enemy is made your job as arbiter a lot easier but his "favour" of recommending you for the position of the Grand Provost Marshal together with Master of the Administratum and a few others for a political gain put you away from directly killing witches which without a chance to revise some of the more idiotic standards for arbiters so they may kill more witches would be a torture for you. Seriously, Palidorius XII's ambition cost you so much in recaf.

In either case, you will need to investigate the hero of Cadia sooner rather than later but with sheer amount of people she saved from damnation you will give her benefit of the doubt and do only light investigation for now.

Whelp that's so impossible and so consistent that either Pandora Cadmus is the greatest mind controlling witch in history of imperium or straight up daughter of God Emperor. Forcing Abaddon, the Despoiler, to flee, followed by the First Heretic running to his masters and putting the fear of death in Magnus the Red, the Deamon prince, during a warp jump. Sweet Sangiouns, that poor girl will be eaten alive by the politics of Sol even if she didn't want it.

And as you sit at the 1313th meeting of sanatorium imperialism, the only thought in your mind is that: You hate being right sometimes.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR,
FOR THE IN THE DARKEST HOUR, THE FIRSTBORN RETURNED

Chaos cultists in the underhive of Merica Hive: 8+130(Great Rift)-100(Holy Terra)+25(overstretch Aribtes)+15(sacrifices)=78 Khorne critical
Kleng's Witch Hunt: 100+20(martial skill)+10(blessing)+50(swordo-tan)+20(assistance of Telepathica)=200 Natural crit
Result: Prevention of Khorne incursion
Paperwork: 70+18(stewardship skill)+25(swordo-tan)= 113 Bare success

The Fate of Cadia Round 1:
13th Black Crusade: 44+200(Blackstone Fortresses)+66(blessing of Slaaneash)+77(blessing of Nurgle)+88(blessing of Khorne)+99(blessing of Tzeentch)+50(Veterans of Long War)+42(Abadon's martial skill)= 666 Chaos undivided blocks lesser Slaaneash critical
Imperials: 95+250(Cadia)+50(Saint celestine)+100(The Inifinte)+40(Ursarkar E. Creed)+50(Emperor's Blessing)+15(reinforcements)=600
Result: Imperial defeat
Ceogorath's returns the favour: 100+500(Veteran of the War in Heaven)+250(10.000 years of preparation)+250(Sole Survivor of the Fall)-9999(Changer's of Way direct opposition)=-8899
Result: Fali- No.
Ceogorath's returns the favour: 100+500(Veteran of the War in Heaven)+250(10.000 years of preparation)+250(Sole Survivor of the Fall)-9999(Changer's of Way direct opposition)+10000(Ritual to Awaken Ynnead hijacked)=1101 Natural critical
Result: Pandora Cadmus is free
The Fate of Cadia Round 2:
13th Black Crusade: 100
+200(Blackstone Fortresses)+66(blessing of Slaaneash)+77(blessing of Nurgle)+88(blessing of Khorne)+99(blessing of Tzeentch)+50(Veterans of Long War)+42(Abadon's martial skill)+100(Lorgar's intervention)= 900 Natural crit
Imperial forces: I'm tired of people dying as part of their games.

Result: Imperial forces retreat in good order, and souls are denied to chaos
Retreat from Cadia:
Magnus the Red and Thousand Sons: 99+100(Magnus the Red)+999(KILL HER)+50(Veterans of Long War)=1248 LESSER TZEENTCHIAN CRITICAL
Pandora Cadmus: "You are Magnus the Red, And you are a slave of Fate. Leave now, or your Fate is Death."

Result: Imperial forces arrive in orbit of Holy Terra with no further losses; Pandora has a slight headache.
A/N:
  • Welcome to the End Times, people.
  • Do you remember that cultist who helped you guys with the Chaos cult on turn six and somehow wasn't corrupted by any of the Chaos? Welcome their Goddess, firstborn of Sensei, Pandora Cadmus, the new Imperial Regent.
  • She replaces Guilman as Lord Commander of the Imperium, given the mad roll by Ceogorath, freeing her from the warp had the DC of 1013
  • I now need to rewrite all my notes because I didn't expect to see her free until the big man on the chair finally died.
  • The times are very much changing
> Iatcela: Halabard'o, what the actual fuck
> Laozi: So why exactly does Pandora ignore the rolls
> Halabardonual: Oh, that's because she is a goddess, like not the avatar of a goddess or blessed by one, she is a living, breathing deity
> Marumeian: So why exactly does Tzeentch hate her so much?
> Halabardonual: His plan for her backfired and he had to break his staff to seal away memory of her from Maeterium
> Noobsoldier: Why all the pink?
> Halabardonual: :D
> Noobsoldier: fear
> Laozi: fear
> Iatcela: fear

Author notes: I had no idea how to write people of negaverse responses so they are short, I maybe will return to fix them later. I think that while we (mostly) operate on narrative quest Kleng quest would have numbers mechanics, also @Kaboomatic I am not a coward

> Iatcela: Halabard'o, what the actual fuck
> Laozi: So why exactly does Pandora ignore the rolls
> Halabardonual: Oh, that's because she is a goddess, like not the avatar of a goddess or blessed by one, she is a living, breathing deity
> Marumeian: So why exactly does Tzeentch hate her so much?
> Halabardonual: His plan for her backfired and he had to break his staff to seal away memory of her from Maeterium
> Noobsoldier: Why all the pink?
> Halabardonual: :D
> Noobsoldier: fear
> Laozi: fear
> Iatcela: fear
> Azathoth: As someone who had a peak behind the scenes, I find the thread's response both hilarious and somewhat justified. Panda's domain is terrifying. Panda herself? Well you will have to figure it out on your own.

I won't lie, I was expecting the reveal to be that Lucan was Malal. (Given this series' take on 40k cosmology, Malal could be quite the interesting figure - my own first thought being that he'd be a leftover from before the War in Heaven, the equivalent of a janitorial automaton which has now gone semi-rampant due to the utter corruption of the Realm of Souls.)

I then expected the reveal to be that Lucan's grand ten-thousand-year scheme was to obliterate the galaxy. After all, if you're willing to sacrifice trillions for the hope of emancipating mankind, then how can you argue against the 'logic' that purging the Necrons, Orks, Drukhari, C'tan, and Chaos before they can escape to threaten the wider universe is worth sacrificing the current victims of those horrors? (And in 40k lore, to my knowledge, the warp doesn't really extend beyond the galaxy itself. Hence why the Tyranids are foreign to it; there's clearly psychic phenomena wherever the Fleets come from, but it does not take a form analogous to the Realm of Souls. The destruction of the Milky Way Galaxy would cause the warp to wither away for want of fuel, taking the Four with it.)

I'm now expecting the reveal to be that Lucan is a Simurgh bomb a Tzeentch plot. The idea that he could get away with making a trade on par with the one that destroyed Adam Kadmon - and do so not once, but TWICE - and remain so human is frankly farcical.

My bet is that Lucan's plan is to take the Throne of the Anathema from his father. This requires a bit of patricide, which would explain why Lucan has needed to prepare for so long.

My bet is that Lucan's plan is to take the Throne of the Anathema from his father. This requires a bit of patricide, which would explain why Lucan has needed to prepare for so long.
And also sororicide and fratricide assuming he knows that the Anathema won't just vanish entirely upon the Emperor's death

Last edited:
I'm now expecting the reveal to be that Lucan is a Simurgh bomb a Tzeentch plot. The idea that he could get away with making a trade on par with the one that destroyed Adam Kadmon - and do so not once, but TWICE - and remain so human is frankly farcical.
Following the pattern, maybe it is that you are just wrong again.

Because Lucan didn't make a deal with Tzeentch either time he was in their Realm (or cut out his humanity like Adam if you meant that instead). During the first time, he was as a prisoner of the Chaos Gods. The second time, when he went to intentionally there, he was a thief:
Lucan would return to that gate many centuries later, armed with new knowledge. He would enter the Realm of Chaos this time, not as a defiant hero but as a subversive rogue, stealing the powers of the Chaos Gods for his own. His failure against the Chaos Gods taught him that it was not resolve he lacked, but power. And what better power to use than the greatest power in the Warp that yet lived?
Also as importantly, both of the times when he was in the Realm of Chaos they were still sleeping. And Three instead of Four. So your comparison doesn't work.
"The power might not be tainted, but the minds who offer it are!" Even Lucan Atham, the Iconoclast himself, cannot agree to this plan. "When I did it, I fully expected to die in the process. One spiteful final act of revenge! And they were only three then! Three of them, sleeping! Are you seriously going to try and steal it from all four, while they're beginning to wake up?! What I did was insane enough, dad - what you're trying to do is factual suicide!"
Also, people keep reading this wrong:
"But that means that right now, leading the Imperium is still our best option. Unless you're willing to let trillions die for your beliefs."

Silence, for a moment. Lucan was digesting your words, reflecting on his own understanding and information on the state of affairs in the current day. You were still fuming over how he was judging you for not acting while not acting himself. A bad plan today is still better than a good plan after losing the war, and he should damn well know it.

Then Lucan sighed. "That's an interesting argument, Pandora. But why don't you back it up with a source?"

"...Are you serious?"

A sad smirk. "In the end, you believe one thing and I believe another. Does the suffering incurred by the collapse of the Imperium exceed the suffering incurred by it's continued existence? I do not think so, but you disagree, so there's nothing more to say. But at least now I know where we stand and what to make of you." He shook his head, a small smile spreading on his face. "You're not the bastard I thought you were. Hell, for a Goddess you might actually be okay. But you're unthinkably naive about the Imperium. You only think you know the depths of its depravity."
What he is saying is not "Yeah I'm more than willing to let trillions die to accomplish my goals". Its "I don't believe what you are saying is a certainty set in stone, even with your Divination". He thinks that he can keep the suffering caused by the collapse of the Imperium to a lesser degree than what it is already causing, even if it is risky.

What he doesn't believe in is Pandora's prediction that at this point, the sudden collapse of the Imperium would also cause the near-immediate triggering of a Second Age of Strife that wipes out all or basically all of current civilizations, big or small, from the galactic map.

But he is not telling us how he plans to accomplish his goals, because he seems to think that Pandora/we would almost certainly disagree with his plan's feasibility. And potentially some other things about it. So he is not letting us know about it to minimize our chances of stopping it. Which easily leaves readers with the impression that his plan is just destroying the Imperium. Which might be it tbf, but we don't actually know for certain if it will involve more.

Yet if you still won't to look for "Simurgh-bomb" in the equation, well take a look what has already happened. The existence of the Gate of Molech led directly into Adam becoming the Emperor, and then the thing sitting on the Throne nowdays. It even was an option for us in the psyker reforms, being the tempting very bad idea it is. And even now Lucans trauma won't let him easily team up with Pandora, but instead is pursuing whatever ten thousand year scheme he has alone. With no input and criticism about if (whatever it is) is a good idea in the first place.

In short: Lucan is fucking messed up and causes us lots of trouble due to differing viewpoints on how to approach things, but he is not some direct puppet or a pawn Tzeentch. The Chaos Gods don't need that level of control when making the closest supporters of Anathema as dysfunctional (or dead) as feasible is most of the time enough for them.

Or at least it was, until Pandora suddenly popped back into the Materium. And has been already made some moves towards reconciliation with Lucan. Tzeentch didn't really expect a still fully functional and motivated Firstborn suddenly existing again as something more than just a goddess.

Pretty much what meianmaru said.

We got enough enemies and obstacles. Let's not create new ones whole cloth out of sheer paranoia. ...That's the Imperium's job!

We should be doom-saying about involving the thing on the throne in the birth of Ynnead or at least informing Big E about it happening so he can intervene without being caught off guard. We should not be doom-posting about Lucan. Why the hell was he mentioned? Like, I understand if it was in the context of Ynnead's birth, but for the general mention?

Last edited:
Because Lucan didn't make a deal with Tzeentch either time he was in their Realm (or cut out his humanity like Adam if you meant that instead).
You don't need to make a deal with Tzeentch to be one of his contingencies. Just for example, someone who claims (and might well believe) that he snuck into the heart of the Ruinous Powers' strongholds, filched fragments of their Thrones, and then escaped again alive and whole... might not properly understand what those stolen fragments of divinity might do to him, or how they could be weaponized against him by beings like Tzeentch which have infinitely more knowledge of how they work.

As for what Adam did, that's part of my point. If we analogize the warp to deep space, then Adam turned himself into a Cyberman before even attempting that journey. Lucan didn't. On top of that, my understanding of Adam's gambit was that he basically launched a series of lightning raids on the Four, relying on his incomprehensible power to rip a chunk out of each Chaos God before fleeing into the Materium and burning the chunks as fuel to empower himself further.

Comparing that to Lucan presumably infiltrating the innermost sanctum of Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle, stealing bits of their Thrones, and then sneaking out unnoticed each time... That's taking a risk that's at least comparable to what the Emperor later did, if only because it involves much longer periods of risk and Lucan has much less personal power to attempt an escape if caught.

During the first time, he was as a prisoner of the Chaos Gods. The second time, when he went to intentionally there, he was a thief:
I definitely did misremember that; I had thought he made his second attempt to steal power from the Four when there were, well, Four of them.

What he doesn't believe in is Pandora's prediction that at this point, the sudden collapse of the Imperium would also cause the near-immediate triggering of a Second Age of Strife that wipes out all or basically all of current civilizations, big or small, from the galactic map.
The galaxy is in unimaginably worse shape now than it was when the Age of Strife set in, and he would know that better than most who yet live.

The Necrons are awake. The Four are on the march, with multiple Traitor Legions and Primarchs in their thrall.

THE NECRONS ARE AWAKE! Seriously, they represent a nightmarish threat to everyone else, in part because they're one of the factions best situated to swoop in and finish off everyone else once they're worn out from fighting each other. If the Necrons weren't so fractious, the galaxy would probably be done for by now.

Oh! We can't forget the Tyranids, which would benefit enormously from the Imperium's worlds being cut off from even the Administratum's dubious assistance. Especially since they're one of the groups which can probably navigate the Cicatrix Maledictum.

And of course, most of the Emperor's Children aren't around to help put out fires this time - which, again, Lucan should be painfully aware of.

For him to think that this is "just" another Age of Strife, and that he's going to be able to rise from it by trying to forge his own "nice" Imperium...

Like, was he paying attention to how the last Age of Strife ended? It ended with the Imperium! It ended with 'the most brutal regime imaginable!' It ended with the annihilation of machine life across the galaxy! It ended with half of humanity collapsing back into a pre-industrial state! Saying "yeah, we can just kick off another of those babies and it'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine" is...

At that point, I'd put him in the same category as Magnus - it doesn't matter how smart he is, his arrogance will be his downfall and his foolishness will be his legacy.

Also, he did a really bad job of convincing me that he's a sane or trustworthy figure when he mindraped half of an Imperial fleet, made them slaughter their comrades - and then, logically, would have either had to kill them all or completely delete their former selves and upload his own ethics into their skulls to keep them from going insane at the horror of what he made them do.

We should be doom-saying about involving the thing on the throne in the birth of Ynnead or at least informing Big E about it happening so he can intervene without being caught off guard. We should not be doom-posting about Lucan. Why the hell was he mentioned? Like, I understand if it was in the context of Ynnead's birth, but for the general mention?
That was mostly me finishing my read-through and commenting on one of the ongoing plot threads I had opinions on.

In my defense, I wouldn't consider what I said to be doomposting.

Also, he did a really bad job of convincing me that he's a sane or trustworthy figure when he mindraped half of an Imperial fleet, made them slaughter their comrades - and then, logically, would have either had to kill them all or completely delete their former selves and upload his own ethics into their skulls to keep them from going insane at the horror of what he made them do.
To quote someone else on this matter. You don't have to be insane to kill a whole bunch of people, you just have to think you're right. The Imperium is a fundamental enemy of his due to his beliefs and ideals, hell it would be a fundamental enemy of Pandora's if she wasn't running it due to her beliefs and ideals too. But where Pandora's Virtue is Compassion and so better suited to making peace and reform, Lucan's is Conviction and that means he will go as far as he needs to in order to achieve his goals and ideals.
and that he's going to be able to rise from it by trying to forge his own "nice" Imperium...
Notably though, Nova Terra isn't even his final plan and isn't even expected to win:
030.M42 - ???

In a dark tomb, a hooded man spoke to the shadow.

"Things are moving faster than I anticipated," the hooded man said. "They aren't ready. They are still disparate. Scattered."

The shadow grunted in reply. "Should I buy time?"

"No," the hooded man replied. "Things aren't that bad yet. It was always meant to buy time, not win. I need you to prepare for when the Imperium drags them back under heel."

The shadow chuckled. Then, he stood. "Should I deliver a message?"

The hooded man nodded. "Tell him the Firstborn has come."

The shadow rose up. It shifted, setting its pistols aside. With a single swing of the sword on its back, it split the materium in twain and stepped through the wound, before reality mended and sealed tight once more.

The hooded man watched for a few minutes longer. Then he walked away through the way he came.

And behind him, the hideaway in the nightmare crumbled to dust.
"Remind the High Lords that the first Nova Terra Interregnum began by accident, following the errant example of my little sister. The one who was murdered by the Inquisition." His words rang cold, freezingly so, chilling to the skin and bone. "And know that the second has been carefully orchestrated for a long, long time.

"Because Valeria deserved better. But this is all I can give her."
We don't know what Lucan actually has planned, only that Nova Terra 2.0 is merely a facet of it and that it's Nova Terra 2: Interregnum Boogaloo and not something else because of his love for his sister who was murdered by the Imperium. It's a distraction for something, as far as we can tell his actual plan still involves the Imperium as he needs it distracted enough to pull off whatever it is he's trying to do but what the actual end goal is remains beyond us.

Moving on from Lucan for a bit, I'm curious about where people think we should send Mona next. I can see good arguments to have her start subverting the Navigators or the Mechanicus next, I'm just not sure which one I'd prefer to send her after first.

Moving on from Lucan for a bit, I'm curious about where people think we should send Mona next. I can see good arguments to have her start subverting the Navigators or the Mechanicus next, I'm just not sure which one I'd prefer to send her after first.
Depending what the options are, we might want to keep her near us for the Ynnead ritual, or send her to diplomacy the Leagues of Votann.

I don't think she'd be that useful for the ritual. As for the Leagues of Votann, making moves towards those unrepentant hereteks will send the Mechanicus into quite the tizzy.
For those unaware, The Votann proper are actually Artificial Intelligences which were designed to go out to such places as the core of the galaxy to mine such hard to access resources. As part of this, they were also equipped with the ability to genetically modify and print humans to achieve this goal, which resulted in the creation of Squats or as they refer to themselves Votann. As for why they call themselves that as well? Without the Votann AI and its primary mission, they do not exist. Without the Votann Species, the AI can not complete its mission. Therefor the species is an integral part of the Votann's mission and an integral part of the Species' Culture. They can not be seperated and so are both Votann. Case in point, when a Votann dies, their body can be returned to a Votann AI and their brain pattern uploaded to it so as to ensure their wisdom is never lost...and this knowledge and wisdom can be used to ensure newly printed Votann can be quickly taught what they need to learn. This means they are not only willing to innovate, but rarely lose this knowledge.

Between being in the core and their being a civilization built around AI, you can see why the Votann keep their distance.

That was mostly me finishing my read-through and commenting on one of the ongoing plot threads I had opinions on.

In my defense, I wouldn't consider what I said to be doomposting.
Congrats on catching up, its always nice to see new people here! Here is your complementary knife for the true knife-fights where we will get into the really spicy arguments. But seriously, while I like arguing with people over the internet on stuff like this, I occasionally get too personally invested and heated about it. So don't hesistate to call me out if I go too far, okay?

Anyway, back to Lucan:
You don't need to make a deal with Tzeentch to be one of his contingencies. Just for example, someone who claims (and might well believe) that he snuck into the heart of the Ruinous Powers' strongholds, filched fragments of their Thrones, and then escaped again alive and whole... might not properly understand what those stolen fragments of divinity might do to him, or how they could be weaponized against him by beings like Tzeentch which have infinitely more knowledge of how they work.

As for what Adam did, that's part of my point. If we analogize the warp to deep space, then Adam turned himself into a Cyberman before even attempting that journey. Lucan didn't. On top of that, my understanding of Adam's gambit was that he basically launched a series of lightning raids on the Four, relying on his incomprehensible power to rip a chunk out of each Chaos God before fleeing into the Materium and burning the chunks as fuel to empower himself further.

Comparing that to Lucan presumably infiltrating the innermost sanctum of Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle, stealing bits of their Thrones, and then sneaking out unnoticed each time... That's taking a risk that's at least comparable to what the Emperor later did, if only because it involves much longer periods of risk and Lucan has much less personal power to attempt an escape if caught.
First, he didn't steal fragments from their Thrones. The metaphysics of the quest don't allow that. You either get all of the Thrones of the god in question by eating said god (or more than one god), or you get nothing. Or you topple all the Thrones, killing the god without eating any of the said Thrones. No partial claims to the Astral Thrones that have been already claimed. Instead, he stole raw power from the Realm of Chaos and purified it from its taint, though I have to admit here I'm not 100% sure about the details on how that works. Just about what it is not.

Second, if the nature of what he stole was a problem as a direct vector for Chaos to influence him, Adam would've already found out and done something about it, considering how he knew what Lucan had done unlike the situation with Pandora and Tzeentch. There was plently of time before he became the Emperor. No, the Chaos Gods needed to be more subtle here, and it worked wonderfully. First, Lucan created the Gateway of Molech. Second, he demonstrated it could be used to steal power from the Chaos Gods.

And the gambit worked. Adam, in his despair looking for the perfect solution, damned himself to self-inflicted insanity due to Lucan having demonstrated what could be done. Because it was always the Anathema who was the main target of their plot. Not Lucan. I'm pretty certain that whatever problems he is causing now are just a bonus to their main plot which they already succeeded in.

Third, again: It is not comparable to what Adam did. In the quote I already put into my previous post, Lucan points this out calling it "factual suicide" when compared to his own attempt... Which Lucan already thought as suicidal. Even with how much more powerful Adam was even back then when compared to Lucan. And Adam, very tellingly, doesn't disagree with him.

The Then-Three invested only so much into Lucan because he was their best way for getting Adam tear himself apart. So looking for hidden triggers in Lucan at this point is just the worst kind of paranoia: the useless kind. Instead, we should be paranoid about what he is planning to do out of his own free will, having been driven to the extremes in his solutions.

And yes, there is a difference. The latter is something we can at least theoretically get him back down from if we keep talking to him instead of just rejecting and isolating him. Or maybe adjust whatever plan he has hatched to be more favourable for us. The thing on the Throne, however, is beyond reasoning. Maybe not beyond appeasing with enough of its orders being followed. But not something you can convince with words.
The galaxy is in unimaginably worse shape now than it was when the Age of Strife set in, and he would know that better than most who yet live.
This one is much more simple: again, we still don't actually know how he plans to accomplish his goals. I wouldn't be so eager to dismiss something that we are completely in the dark about in this point of time. And even if turns out to be something that we cannot accept (seems to be very likely)? He still probably thinks it will be genuinely worth it to save humanity.

Also. If we, the players and Pandora were just concerned about the ability of humanity to survive... Well, quite many of the reforms we are planning for the future are bound to lean more towards just improving the lives of those at the bottom of the Imperium. And not killing aliens. Considering the instability it can cause, this is actually terrible in the short-term (and maybe even medium term) for humanity's survival. Just look at what even modest reforms about the Abhumans, Mutants and Psykers can have stirred up!

But we are still doing them, because taking risks about humanity's survival is something we have to balance against making sure that it doesn't stay as the Imperium of Man in all of its horrors and suffering.

Its just that Pandora's own Virtue and abilities inform her differently about how she should go about things. She is a lot more uncomfortable about the amount of immediate death even a civil war would cause, which would still probably be tame to whatever Lucan has planned.
You mean when he heroically stopped the space nazis from genociding countless innocent people who were also his own allies? Because it is all a matter of perspective. If he was the protagonist of this quest, I will guarantee you that most people would be gleefully celebrating that. And Telepathy is just his main tool because it is something he is the best at, even if its icky to many people.

Besides, if all of these people all went insane like you are proposing, they wouldn't be much use to him as a fighting force outside of being constant puppets, now would they? Which clearly didn't happen, so your point doesn't stand. And he needed those people and ships to have something stopping Imperium just continuing its genocide.

Also, if you want to insist that a free will is a sacred right. That nothing makes up for violating it like this. That making puppets of people is wrong, even temporarily.

Well then. I want you to take and keep a hard stance of freeing or killing all the Servitors converted from living humans on this turn. And switching to just making ones from (hopefully) unthinking clones.

Oh, what is that? We can't do it because it would cause even more suffering and almost certainly be the death-knell of humanity because how much basically their everything leans on Servitors and so many of them are converted criminals and "criminals"? And we can't replace them fast enough if we cut off the pipelines from the converted humans at the same time? And can't replace them with AI because we lack the experts?

But even worse, the politics of it. Mars and Antegymax, at this point, would almost certainly decide to rebel and trigger a civil war if we tried to shove something like this down their throats. Which, almost certainly, would mean a death spiral for us at our current level of preparation and Imperial subversion.

What Lucan did is nothing when compared to that violation present everywhere in the Imperium. Constantly. Which we should be looking for a solution btw, even in this very real AP hell. But at the same time, if you want to feel icky about Lucan puppetting someone temporarily, maybe remember that there are more important fights to be fought.

Back