Transposition, or: Ship Happens [Worm/Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Arpeggio of Blue Steel]

You're thinking of Taylor's submarine hull as a limitation. Taylor's nano-material ship hull has more in common with the material in a lava lamp than a traditional WWII submarine. It's free-form, altered by her whim, currently held in a convenient shape. (Admittedly, she's put a lot of detail work into that shape, what with conduits and components and stuff.) Taylor's body, on the other hand, features increasingly many non-nanotech components (spine, muscles), specifically crafted to be durable and immutable. At some point, she may want to do something similar with her hull -- creating carbon-and-diamond-filament panels for hull armor, things like that. But she hasn't done that yet.

And why wouldn't a submarine shape be a perfect aircraft? It can control gravity. Thrust comes from expelled gravitons, not from hydrodynamic propellers. And as for streamlining, she has force fields. Taylor can reshape her wave-force armor to create stepping stones. She can darn well shape it into an X-15 shape surrounding her sub-hull. Or a needle-prowed rocket shape. Or whatever she feels like.

Thinking way beyond the scope of this particular discussion, Fog, Taylor, and the mental models of the Fleet seem to love taking the shape of WWII ocean-going warships. Why? Who knows. It seems almost a nostalgia-type thing. We don't question this too much when humans use the same anachronisms. For example: giant robots dressed in (essentially) samurai armor, or space mystics who battle each other with kendo, or resurrecting the World War II battleship Yamato to become the flagship of a future starfleet, or any of a million other examples. Future horses? Tanks in space?

Taylor is at the technological level where shape and appearance are matters of fashion, convenience, and (dare I say) nostalgia. She could make her hull look like a gigantic brick, and still make it hang in the air (to the delight of Douglas Adams) and fly faster than anything in the sky. Given that ability, shaping her hull to be both familiar-looking and underestimated... makes a lot of sense.

can someone here search the biggest Flying thing that also functions as a carrier we all are thinking about it and it will hopefully give the author some more ideas on what to start doing on the next chapter
In real life or science fiction? Because in real life, I think that dirigibles with some biplanes were the biggest (and just about only) 'flying carrier'.

If science fiction/fantasy, I'd have to say Duhak the Luna sized battleship that happens to have ships and fighters it can send out.

I don't think Taylor is going to be able to make any of these things.
Unless, you know, she grey-goo's the Earth, which she isn't going to do. After all, that's where she keeps her friends.

Taylor should have made herself an Alicorn hull. Fight me. You could probably fit a pair of SGCs in that sucker

acecombat.fandom.com

Alicorn

The Alicorn, Erusean hull number SAC-900,[3] was a large nuclear submarine and the only known member of the Alicorn-class of submersible aviation cruisers. The Alicorn and its captain are the main antagonists in the downloadable SP Missions for Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.[4] The Alicorn carried...

Unless, you know, she grey-goo's the Earth, which she isn't going to do. After all, that's where she keeps her friends.

There are other ways to get that much mass. The other Planets, for one. The asteroid belt, for another. The metal/other stuff that Kaiser and other Parahumans summon from alternate Earths(That's how the "Matter out of nothing" trick that many capes can do works.)

In real life or science fiction? Because in real life, I think that dirigibles with some biplanes were the biggest (and just about only) 'flying carrier'.

can you put an image? please

Dirigibles like the Akron-class were the only 'successful' flying aircraft carriers -

Though there have been numerous proposals for FAC's, ranging from Germany's Project Series during WWII -

To various proposed Cold War projects -

Wasn't there a Dyson's Sphere in Star Trek Online that could literally hop from star-system to star-system? Even from one Galaxy to another?

What about grey-gooing Luna to turn it into a Utu-class battle planetoid? Just what you need to fight those multi-dimensional space whales that consume planets.
If there is too much concern about the tides, she could try going next door for Phobos or Demos. Of course, if she goes with Demos she should call it the Marathon.

Last edited:
What about grey-gooing Luna to turn it into a Utu-class battle planetoid? Just what you need to fight those multi-dimensional space whales that consume planets.
If there is too much concern about the tides, she could try going next door for Phobos or Demos. Of course, if she goes with Demos she should call it the Marathon.
5th Imperium tech can just whip up a gravity generator to replace the Moon. Actually did this in the second book because they needed to take Dahak for an emergency run home to get reinforcements from the tens of thousands of omnicidal alien battleships on their way.

A good example of this sort of thing is the Vex, who converted the entirety of Mercury into a giant computer in only a few years thanks to time shenanigans, and regularly do the same to any planetary body they occupy, such as Nessus.

Mars is a very viable option for our nanomachine protagonist, with its easily-accessible iron oxide surface contents. If Taylor had access to an alternate Earth that never developed life, say one that didn't recover from the impact that created our moon, she wouldn't hesitate to seed it.

Now, I'm not saying that'll definitely happen, just that it could.

A good example of this sort of thing is the Vex, who converted the entirety of Mercury into a giant computer in only a few years thanks to time shenanigans, and regularly do the same to any planetary body they occupy, such as Nessus.

Mars is a very viable option for our nanomachine protagonist, with its easily-accessible iron oxide surface contents. If Taylor had access to an alternate Earth that never developed life, say one that didn't recover from the impact that created our moon, she wouldn't hesitate to seed it.

Now, I'm not saying that'll definitely happen, just that it could.

I for one welcome the inevitable Taylor Technological Singularity. And your comment about Mars just made me think of an amusing scene. Hopefully I'll do it some justice with my crap writing:

~'~'~​

Armsmaster continued to review the report in front of him. It was getting late, and a small part of himself was once envying his gun wielding colleague's ability to ignore the need to sleep. A few minutes later a chime alerted him to an incoming call from Dragon. "Colin, do you have a moment?"

"I have to finish this paperwork on a new project for the Director soon, but I can spare a few minutes."

"Thank you." Dragon replied. He could clearly hear an undercurrent of worry in his fellow tinker's tone that immediately had him on edge. "I've recently come across an anomaly from a recent review of Simurgh satellite observational data that is concerning."

Armsmaster frowned at that. The last thing anyone want to hear was the words 'anomaly' and 'Simurgh' in the same sentence. "What kind of anomaly are you talking about? She shouldn't be going active yet. The last Enbringer attack was only three weeks ago."

"It's not the Simurgh, Colin." Dragon noted with a hint of trepidation. "It's Mars."

"Mars?"

"You should be receiving an email containing a recent image of Mars right now."

Without further prompting he pulled up the image in question. Most of it was focused on the angelic figure of the Enbringer itself. However, his attention was centered on the circled dimly lit ball of light over the shoulder of the creature in orbit. For a moment something about it looked off. It took him a few moments to realize what the problem was. "Shouldn't Mars be a pale red?"

"Yes, it should. But it's not and that's what is worrying me. I've already reviewed other satellite and telescopic imagery from the last few weeks. I've noted a pronounced decrease in the red coloration of Mars over the last ten days."

"Do you have any theories?"

"Nothing concrete. At least not yet." Dragon sighed. "However, there's a very distinct possibility that this isn't a natural occurrence. The change has just been too fast and we have no historical documentation that could help account for this phenomenon. And there's one more thing... this hasn't been a gradual change either. As far as I've been able to determine, once the process started it progressed at an exponential rate. If this continues at the expected pace then in a few days we will no longer be able to call Mars the red planet."

Colin said nothing as he continued to stare at the photo in front of him. A sinking feeling formed in the pit of his stomach, and even though whatever was happening was a world away... right now it didn't feel far enough.

Last edited:
Back