I think the fourth option is repurposing the Azure Lances to deal with the YTR after the Heishan Bandits hare gone.
not that hard of a sell since our aunt did come to help us deal with our bandit problem with a lot of volunteers. so its only fair we repay the favour by helping them out against the Yellow Turbans who are trying to raid their homes and stealing cattle from tribes

Hey hey
Hey hey Liang Shu!
Get away from Ge Maiyu!
No way, no way!
She's a sneaky snake yeah
Hey hey Liang Shu!
Look at me instead!

Hey hey bird boy!
I know that you like me
No way no way
No need to be coy!
Hey hey bird boy!
Forget about Ge Maiyu!

You're so strong, it's not wrong, you are the leader
Don't let her trick you, don't go out and meet her
Don't make me smack you and sort you out tonight

I know how you feel, just show you meant it
And hell yeah, I'm the mother fucking princess
Let's kick ass together, you know it's right

Maiyu's like, untrustworthy
She wanted you to purge me
But we're unstoppable and you know I'm right!

She's a manipulator
Whole family's up for
Corrupting all in Xinshen
Fuck her, let's have some fun!

Hey hey Liang Shu!
Get away from Ge Maiyu!
No way, no way!
Hey hey Liang Shu!
Look at me instead!

Hey hey bird boy!
I know that you like me
No way no way
No need to be coy!
Hey hey bird boy!
Forget about Ge Maiyu!

Let's go out, let's go out fight with me
Against those brigands we'll get victory
By my side we'll kick their ass again and again (and again)

So grow some balls and listen to sense
I'll tell ya that Maiyu's a menace
With me we'll stop them again and again (and again)

Because...

They'll all corrupt now
She's just a wicked cow
Let's just get together now
Father 'proves, nothin' to talk about

Hey hey Liang Shu!
Get away from Ge Maiyu!
No way, no way!
Hey hey Liang Shu!
Look at me instead!

Hey hey bird boy!
I know that you like me
No way no way
No need to be coy!
Hey hey bird boy!
Forget about Ge Maiyu!

The Ge are just out to get you
Stick with me and I'll protect you
Maiyu is there manipulating
Luckily you're contemplating

Maiyu is really kinda stinky
She wants to wrap you 'round her pinky
Stay there Shu I've gotcha back
Won't let her be there talking smack

Hey hey Liang Shu!
Get away from Ge Maiyu!
No way, no way!
No need to be coy!
Hey hey bird boy!
Forget about Ge Maiyu!

I'd note that the system isn't anywhere near as corrupt as the quest present circumstances would suggest. Normally all this is backed up by Imperial audits and Inspections(hence the title), a negligent or incompetent official could expect to be punished, stripped of their titles and often exiled(execution).
You'd appoint people first by loyalty, then by reputation, then by competency. It tended to work out, its hard to be good at it, but its also hard to be terrible at it.

The big problem was broad loss of trust in the system, because when you have subordinates paying you to work for you, then theres vanishingly little incentive to actually act upon their misbehaviours.

Secondly, when people buy a title, they expect to get their money's worth, so instead of administrators taking care of the land for pay and prestige, the intent of the system is subverted, they paid a hell of a lot for the title, so they're going to get their money's worth in extractive methods, since the titles weren't inherently heritable, you're better off looting the seat for all its worth and adding it to your personal estates.

All told, the system could work fine, assuming title holders were proper Confucian men of virtue.
Thats a big assumption.

I still find it ironic that Lingqi being best girl and the thread always spending one or more action with her derailed the Ge clan's plot. Just more evidence of her being best girl, I guess. Also, that epic shield toss that nailed Bo Rao and that military turn where Lingqi carried the Azure Lance's on her lonesome come to mind.

I'd note that the system isn't anywhere near as corrupt as the quest present circumstances would suggest. Normally all this is backed up by Imperial audits and Inspections(hence the title), a negligent or incompetent official could expect to be punished, stripped of their titles and often exiled(execution).
You'd appoint people first by loyalty, then by reputation, then by competency. It tended to work out, its hard to be good at it, but its also hard to be terrible at it.

The big problem was broad loss of trust in the system, because when you have subordinates paying you to work for you, then theres vanishingly little incentive to actually act upon their misbehaviours.

Secondly, when people buy a title, they expect to get their money's worth, so instead of administrators taking care of the land for pay and prestige, the intent of the system is subverted, they paid a hell of a lot for the title, so they're going to get their money's worth in extractive methods, since the titles weren't inherently heritable, you're better off looting the seat for all its worth and adding it to your personal estates.

All told, the system could work fine, assuming title holders were proper Confucian men of virtue.
Thats a big assumption.

Oh I agree. The system broadly worked for centuries, after all. For all the executive power a county Prefect had (and, on a higher level, a commandery Administrator had), there were many checks and balances in place to curb corruption.
Whilst, say, stuffing the county offices with kin of local elites might seem like a bad idea, most of the time it really wasn't. These were often men with a vast amount of regional knowledge and connections, which was essential to smoothly running a local government. After all, a prefect (and especially a Grand Administrator) would usually be a total outsider to the region he was assigned, and would be extremely reliant on those families well respected and trusted by the populace to ensure a smooth governance. Furthermore, even if you were in a lowly position such as an assistant clerk in some minor county office, you could be expected to be noticed and promoted if you kept your head down, did your job and worked hard. Whilst cooking the books or skimming off a few coins was possibly tempting, there was more incentive in doing your job well. As part of his annual duties, a Grand Administrator could recommend people from his commandary to get a posting in the Imperial cadets in Luoyang - a spring board to much higher political office. What you wanted as a minor county official was to get a reputation for diligence, good Confucian morals, filial piety and an eagerness to work hard, for the chance of being catapulted upwards socially.

The key to designing solid systems is all about what it incentivizes your people to do in practice as well as theory. Everyone will try to game the rules to their own benefit - so you want to ensure it's legitimately in their best interests to perform their duties to the greatest extent.

Easier said than done, of course, but the ancient Chinese made a pretty solid effort at defeating human nature.

Well, the corruption started at the heart, as with most large Empires, the Imperial Court grew distant from the reality of the situation on the ground, allowing local leaders to misrepresent their performance(remember its super elitist-meritocratic, outperforming your peers at performance review is important), leading to unjust expectations, leading to stressed systems throughout when people who were willing to lie about the situation could get promoted.

And at that point you've promoted skilled liars to the inspection positions, whose subordinates know about their lies and thus cannot be called for a reckoning without endangering themselves and who were thus incentivized to take advantage.

Natural selection in essence.

Productivity is momentarily slowed by the fact CK3 and DLC for Total War Three Kingdoms came out within days of each other. Update will be tomorrow, hopefully!

For what it's worth, "relieved Liang Shu" last update was kinda meant to invoke a certain interpretation of a jolly fellow. 好 indeed
I definitely got vibes of the turnaround reaction Dong Zhuo had in the scene after he's "presented" the knife where he's laughing on about it with his buds and they point out that Cao Cao would have no honest reason to present a knife to him unannounced at his bedside while he's sleeping

We know that Chu Yan will be attacking us and Yu Du had that plan to set Xinshen on fire and Zhang Niujue is elsewhere so what I wonder is how many other members of our hit-list of bandits will show up

With Heishan Might
With Heishan might my heart was burning
For a moment I thought all I yearned had escaped
I almost lost my wits
My plans falling to bits!
Then I realised
These hands of mine will take all I crave

I wish to be the most feared man in all Bingzhou
Those damn Ge betrayed me, they proved to be cheap
I killed the Liang on their pay
But one little bird got away!
Ge and Liang beware
The price of resisting will make your clans weep

With Heishan might, Xinshen will burn
With Heishan might, loyalty I'll earn

Revenge I desire
Ge and Liang on a pyre
With Heishan might
They'll be gone

I can feel my respect only growing
Resisting the Han, and gold for all who believed
I'm placing pieces on the board
Liang Shu will be put to the sword!
Clipping your wings, little boy
Farewell

With Heishan might Xinshen with fall!
Plundering's the least I can do
With Heishan might my plots brew

Soon he will see
Despite the struggles and the rest
With Heishan might, he's yet to see my best!

With Heishan might
Liang Shu is done
Is done!
Wooh!
With Heishan might, I'll give my all
He's doomed!

Ge and Liang, don't try and fight!
Against you, my men will smite!

With Heishan might
With Heishan might
With Heishan might

Come my swallows
Soar for your master
Let desires rise
Kill Liang Shu
Yes, fly ever faster

With Heishan might
With Heishan might
With Heishan might
With Heishan might

Bingzhou is mine!

and what song is this based of. Also in a way this makes it better since you could include the Ge who arguable have been more of a thorn in our side then Chu who has just shown up

Last edited:
Back