Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Hadn't noticed the duration change in CDE, arguement is sound enough for me to switch also.
[X] Curious Diviner's Eye

It is actually sort of interesting that cultivators are always in conflict. Their basic needs are already met. They will never be hungry or thirty. Their endurance means that they have very limited need for shelter. In fact the only thing that they seem to be fighting for is cultivation resources so that they can become better at fighting.

Cultivators need shelter, not from weather and wind but instead from hostile spirits and beasts.
We know of one Cyan ranked spirit that wanders around and kills people, so you need to reach at least Indigo before you can feel safe without having fortifications.

Secondly if you keep cultivating you can stave of aging and potentially live for ever, so not having cultivation resources will eventually kill you.

Lastly you might have children and other family which still need food and water.

Hrm...deleted old vote but the talley hasn't updated. Am I doing something wrong or does it just have a delay in updating?

We managed to kick the food and drink habit well still a red right? Most city guards are red and many of them have given up on trying to furthering their cultivation. What do they spend their pay on? Does it all go to entertainment? Cities must have a thriving entertainment industry if so.

Last edited:
There were some good arguments for CDE, consider me convinced.

SCS is also our only art that's related to stealth. Hitting mastery with it should logically improve our stealth, which is kind of the first thing you need as a scout: not getting captured by whatever enemies you're send to scout.

Finally caught up again, happy to participate in this vote! I feel the eye is a solid technique for the upcoming mission as well as an art that represents the Hidden moon the most in our arts, SCS is pure grinning moon, Revelry is pure Dreaming moon, I think we need to add something to our essential repertoire that shows our association to the hidden as well, we are close but not quite there, picking it here will show that I think.

Last edited:
SCS is also our only art that's related to stealth. Hitting mastery with it should logically improve our stealth, which is kind of the first thing you need as a scout: not getting captured by whatever enemies you're send to scout.

You can see all the changes hitting mastery in SCS, TRF, and CDE will bring in the front page of the thread. We can see the contents of the next level for all of our arts, as long as we're capable of training them.

I am skeptical of the idea that CDE's upgrade will matter much in the upcoming scouting mission, it wasn't really designed for scouting in mind and though it can of course be used for it there exists certain things limiting its effectiveness as a scouting tool

Initiate's Viewing Pool: C
[Non-Combat]
Requiring a surface of calm water at least two handspans wide, the user concentrates on a familiar person or place within five kilometers of their current position. The user is able to view the person or location in clear detail with both sight and hearing with perception equivalent to their own at a one rank reduction. This viewing may be opposed by arts or talismans of various types, in which case the users combat perception is used to determine success.
Firstly the capstone
This scrying would be quite useful in scouting, except that it specifically requires familiarity with the target location or person, of which we will have neither.
There are some ways which it may still be used in this scouting mission, but they are highly circumstantial and almost certainly have better solutions.

Seeking Moon's Eyes: C
Duration: Persistent
Conjures three reflective silver wisps the size of a coin. Expressions of the Diviner's curiosity, these wisps seek their parents interest eagerly. The wisps ignore wholly physical obstacles but cannot travel further than Close distance from their creator. The creator may see from the wisp's position as if they stood there themselves, though only in one direction at a time. This greatly increases their combat perception in the areas within which this sight overlaps.
Statblock
Health: G
Speed: C20, Initiative: D
Avoid: C10, Armor H
Secondly the wisps
Some people may believe the wisps could enhance our ability to scout by being sent out to cover ground around us in order to look ahead and multitask, this is not so; the wisps have a sharply limited range from us of 100 meters or Close distance, which is not a lot of distance at all for cultivators.
Furthermore they cannot multitask at all, as LQ can only see from their perspective one at a time.

Another suggested use is to take advantage of their ability to phase through walls, unfortunately we are unlikely to require this ability as the Cloud Barb territory we are scouting is likely to be open mountain ranges.
At the very least woodland dense enough to require phasing probably isn't going to pop up.

Alternatively people want to stack the wisps together and keep them with us to enhance our perception, this idea has some merit, but it comes at the cost of speed, since we will be limited to the speed of the wisps themselves.
There's also the fact that the wisps bonus to perception is based around examining one thing with multiple overlapping points of view, something meant for studying a single object of interest.
Depending on how Yrs wants to play it this may not translate well to trying to scout out a wide view of the countryside.

Last edited:
Mind you I don't really expect SCS's capstone to be crucial to this scouting mission either, what with Moon Senpai watching over us
but I want that capstone regardless, and I want to max SCS in general

The main issue with the CDE option, in my opinion, is the speed of the wisps. There are a few potential situations, albeit circumstantial, where CDE might be useful. For the wisps to matter at all, however, they will have to keep up with us, which is very unlikely with how slow they are relative to us. We could, of course, summon the wisps only when we slow down or when they're necessary. However, this almost completely negates the advantage of having persistent wisps over long duration wisps, so there isn't much point to training CDE for the wisp improvement.

furthermore they cannot multitask at all, as LQ can only see from their perspective one at a time
This is not actually accurate. We can see from all three wisps at the same time, but in only one direction from each wisp. If we could only see from one wisp at a time, then it wouldn't make sense for overlapping sight to buff the perception of Ling Qi, as we could only see from one of those sight lines at a time. Furthermore, we've seen in the narrative that multiple angles can be observed with CDE:
It was a little unsettling, Ling Qi found, to be looking at herself from multiple angles. To study and analyze her own appearance and aura with supernatural precision. To see the hairs that were out of place, the imperfections in the subtle applications of her cosmetics, and the unsteadiness and minute errors in the flows of her qi. Things easy to fix in the moment, but difficult to keep fixed.

This leads to the impression that while we can only see in one direction from each wisp, we can see from all three wisps simultaneously.

This is not actually accurate. We can see from all three wisps at the same time, but in only one direction from each wisp. If we could only see from one wisp at a time, then it wouldn't make sense for overlapping sight to buff the perception of Ling Qi, as we could only see from one of those sight lines at a time.
Perhaps, though I still doubt the usefulness of sending the wisps away from Ling Qi to scout around
They would not benefit from a perception buff, they would still be limited to 100 meters which is close enough that LQ could probably accomplish anything they could by simply scanning her eyes across the horizon and they would also struggle to keep up with a moving LQ anyway

Back