Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I wasn't aware we were so flush on AP that we could afford to spend them on skills alone?
I'm saying that without the appropriate training activities available, I don't think we should even be able to train war. And that with those activities we should be able to get war with most support arts - as well as other arts depending on the activity.

Like, practicing using PC on our worms by ourselves can't really teach us that much there.

I'm not going to be held hostage by the Argents just because we want to train War. If there isn't a half decent art in the archive with the War keyword and at least one of our elements I'll eat my hat.

So, yeah.

War may not be something we want to bring all the way up, but we should damn well make sure we can at least bring it to "Adequate" levels.

And after we master AC, our only known source of War Training outside of something nice falling in our lap is AP.

If training war is what you want we can pick up an art that does that in the sect archives. We do not know if argent pulse will train war. FZ for which we leveled up by doing group military excerises with elder Jiao does not train war.

Simply assuming that argent pulse will train war is just asking for a heap of anguish when it doesn't. Instead of that, and spending action points on a fairly supbar art why not spend one action point and just search for an art with those key words? You get your war training art and the rest of us don't have to suffer the argent arts. Seems like a win win if that war key word is all your going for.

If training war is what you want we can pick up an art that does that in the sect archives. We do not know if argent pulse will train war. FZ for which we leveled up by doing group military excerises with elder Jiao does not train war.
I wouldn't take those keywords as covering everything. Like, currently we apparently have nothing which trains spiritual defense, which makes no sense.

I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of things we could get added there if we asked.

I wouldn't take those keywords as covering everything. Like, currently we apparently have nothing which trains spiritual defense, which makes no sense.

I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of things we could get added there if we asked.

We have to make guesses with what we know though. If we start making assumptions like that, even if it seems like a good assumption, then we are going to get bitten hard. Sure it would make sense for FZ to have war, but it doesn't so we have to make guesses based of what is written.

Otherwise we are going to make a leap of faith someday and there won't be a painted bridge there.

I wasn't aware we were so flush on AP that we could afford to spend them on skills alone?
If the alternative is training an art we otherwise wouldn't use, I'd happily consider "throwing" actions away on Sect Jobs or the like. Though @Neshuakadal brought up a better alternative above:

Last edited:
Art: E (0/10) [E5]
Beast Handling: E (0/10)
-Bonuses: Sixiang 5
Empathy: D (2/15) [C5]
Music: C (12/25)
-Specialties: Vocals
-Bonuses: Sixiang 5

Speech: E (6/10)
I don't think the maximum values here are right.

Qi advances with XP as other skills do, but has no limit on dice rolled per turn. However, rather than advancing immediately to the next rank upon reaching the next threshold, it instead adds 10 as a modifier
What does this mean?
EDIT: Gotcha; thanks @Erebeal.

Physical

Strength: E (9/30)
Dexterity: B (0/60)
Stamina: D (38/40)

Mental

Intelligence: D (22/40)
Wits: C (0/50)
Resolve: C (1/50)

Social

Presence: F (10/20)
Manipulation: C (27/50)
Composure: E (12/30)
So attributes have 2x the XP requirement of skills?

EDIT: Except the normal skills go up to 35 for B, and 60 != 35*2. Hmmm...

Last edited:
When we fill up the xp bar on qi it goes up to A10, and the bar resets. Once we've done this 5 times we'll reach A50 = S base qi.
So that makes Qi a LOT harder to raise than anything else. Massively so.
H->G->F->E would all take the normal attribute costs: 10, 10, and 20, respectively.
E->D->C would have double the normal costs: 30*2 and 40*2, respectively.
C->B would have cost 50*3.
B->A would have cost 60*4.
A->S would have cost 80*5.

In total, getting Qi to A rank costs 570XP, and getting it to S rank costs another 400XP on top of that. For reference, getting any other attribute from H to A normally costs 220XP, and getting it to S costs another 80XP.

To put it another way, to get one attribute from E to B costs 120XP, which means we can raise three attributes from our current worst level (10 points till reaching E for Presence) to the level of our best attribute (B for dexterity) in the same time that it would take us to get Qi to S.

In short? Qi remains a very lackluster investment. Don't cultivate Qi if you have anything better to do, folks!

And how much it costs to access the floors we don't have free access to, yeah.

Because if we're digging in the Archive, no sense not getting the best quality we can physically reach, right?
Yeah getting an art that we earn through being the 4th strongest student of the year isn't really worth it. What is your argument going to be if we end up getting constant access to the next tier of the archive by advancing in rank? Will floor 2 arts suddenly not be worth picking up because they are "free" at that point?

So that makes Qi a LOT harder to raise than anything else. Massively so.
H->G->F->E would all take the normal attribute costs: 10, 10, and 20, respectively.
E->D->C would have double the normal costs: 30*2 and 40*2, respectively.
C->B would have cost 50*3.
B->A would have cost 60*4.
A->S would have cost 80*5.

In total, getting Qi to A rank costs 570XP, and getting it to S rank costs another 400XP on top of that. For reference, getting any other attribute from H to A normally costs 220XP, and getting it to S costs another 80XP.

To put it another way, to get one attribute from E to B costs 120XP, which means we can raise three attributes from our current worst level (10 points till reaching E for Presence) to the level of our best attribute (B for dexterity) in the same time that it would take us to get Qi to S.

In short? Qi remains a very lackluster investment. Don't cultivate Qi if you have anything better to do, folks!

Luckily we auto cultivate qi! Its great to get stuff for free!

@yrsillar I am very sorry to bring this up. I had 2 stories that we're threadmarked as Apocrypha in the last thread (fate of the forgotten, the pass) you had given me 1 point for those in this thread. In this thread as also have 2 stories marked as Apocrypha. I believe I should be at 3 points instead of the 2 points you have me listed for.

Skills said:
Mental Skills

Academics: E (5/15)
Government: E (3/15)
Craft: F (3/10)
Formations: D (18/20)

Physical Skills

Athletics: C (14/25)
Dance: E (5/15) [E5]
Perceptiveness: D (2/20)
Stealth: C (13/25)
Survival: D (0/20) [D5]

Social Skills
Art: E (0/10) [E5]
Beast Handling: E (0/10)
Empathy: D (2/15) [C5]
Music: C (12/25)

Speech: E (6/10)
Spirit Ken: D (5/20)
War: H (2/5)

Martial Skills
Archery: C (6/30)
Blades: E (5/15)
Polearms: F (2/10)
Projection: E (6/15)
Unarmed: E (0/15)

Dodge: C (22/30)
Fortitude: E (10/15)

Fade: D (0/20)
Resilience: C (7/30)

Specialized Skills
Woodwind: A (0/40)
-Specialty: Woodwind Instruments, Vocals
-Bonuses: +5 music based, +5 equip(flute), +5 general(Sixiang)
Speaking of skills, I was dusting off the old nerf bat and got struck by a bit of inspiration....

Simply put, some of our skills are probably too dang high. Craft should be G, since we've done like two things with it the whole quest. Academics, Government, and Art should still be F. Speech, Beast Handling, and Projection are questionable as well, though they'd be on the higher end of the exp reqs for hitting E. For Projection, this is me being generous because it was kind of inconsistently applied in the previous thread and some of the FZ techs feel like it's the skill they should have run off of. Not going to touch the weirdness of our defence stats.

To be clear, I'm not saying these are a full letter grade too high. Maybe half of one exp-wise, for many. As always, nerfs are the path to justice. And @Erebeal made me make this post.

edit: fixed embarrassing brain fart

Last edited:
Speaking of skills, I was dusting off the old nerf bat and got struck by a bit of inspiration....

Simply put, some of our skills are probably too dang high. Craft should be G, since we've done like two things with it the whole quest. Academics, Government, and Art should still be F. Speech, Spirit Ken, and Projection are questionable as well, though they'd be on the higher end of the exp reqs for hitting E. For Projection, this is me being generous because it was kind of inconsistently applied in the previous thread and some of the FZ techs feel like it's the skill they should have run off of. Not going to touch the weirdness of our defence stats.

To be clear, I'm not saying these are a full letter grade too high. Maybe half of one exp-wise, for many. As always, nerfs are the path to justice. And @Erebeal made me make this post.
What is even your basis for what E skill looks like if you're taking a narrative view of skills and saying so many are misgraded? Besides that, not everything we do is written about every time it happens; that could play a major role in e.g. our Academics skill or Craft with our cooking specialty.

I'm not sure if I agree Spirit Ken is too high. Ling Qi's thing in the Outer Sect was that she often dealt with Spirits even. Aside from her frequent and often tumultuous dealings with Zeqing, she raised Zhengui from the egg, interacted with Zhengui's parent to get said egg, attended a dangerous spirit rave, made friends with a spirit from said rave, and even did some missions involving spirits besides that, at least some of which towards the end she solved with diplomacy and not combat.

I was actually a little surprised her Spirit Ken is as low as it is, I would expect that most of the rest of Outer Sect is at F or lower if Ling Qi is a D.

I'm not sure if I agree Spirit Ken is too high. Ling Qi's thing in the Outer Sect was that she often dealt with Spirits even. Aside from her frequent and often tumultuous dealings with Zeqing, she raised Zhengui from the egg, interacted with Zhengui's parent to get said egg, attended a dangerous spirit rave, made friends with a spirit from said rave, and even did some missions involving spirits besides that, at least some of which towards the end she solved with diplomacy and not combat.

I was actually a little surprised her Spirit Ken is as low as it is, I would expect that most of the rest of Outer Sect is at F or lower if Ling Qi is a D.
Whooops, that's a typo. I meant Beast Handling, since we really only did stuff with Zhengui, when we would have started at nothing entering the sect. I put it as questionable though since Ling Qi did a fair amount of research in the library and it's likely she covered more material than she bothered to mention to her internal narrative. Thanks for the catch.

Well, I mean, theres also people like elder Jiao who are literally married to a spirit. So I feel like its appropriate, Ling Qi is somewhat precocious in the sense that she started properly interacting with spirits very early, which puts her ahead of the curve as you pointed out. But there still is a difference between her and the knowledge of an experienced cultivator. so, D feels about right?

On the Green scale we see abilities at now I would imagine Elder Jiao has UUU Spirit Ken though. He's a ridiculously extreme point of comparison.

Agreed, but its a point of reference. turns out the whole thing was about beast ken though, so I think its all good ;)

Edit: also, if Spirit Ken also covers object spirits, I think the highest ranking cultivator we've seen would be the duchess Cai. But I digress :)

Last edited:
At long last. The art nobody wanted.

Argent Arrow
5 level, thunder & wind balanced.

An art made by an archer following the argent way, this art combine the power of wind with the silence of thunder. It fill the users arrows with the switfness of wind and hide them with thunder.

Potency: green 1(1), green 2(3) green 3(5)
Keyword: balanced, strength, dexterity, wits, stealth, archery
Meridians: 2 spine(1), 2 arm(3), 2 spine(5)

Silent Wing : Silence the next arrow fired by the user and allow it to reach further.

Empty Missile : Launch an invisible silent arrow at extreme distance.

Scattered Silence : Used in conjunction with another archery art, this permit the arrow(s) fired by the second art to go further and be more silent at increased cost for the rest of the fight.

Back