Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Nah, he gave one additional roll. We got 3 for each AP (7 in total).

And for the rest, how exactly do you intend to find a site without exploration ?
So first an explanation of new options. Exploration causes Ling Qi to use the map she acquired to explore sites of interest, each AP spent will result in two encounter rolls. Sometimes you will get nothing, sometimes you will find items or treasures, or if the roll is sufficiently high, you may even unlock special events. Challenge Research will fill in information on Inner Sect rankings, and give Bios on people Ling Qi feels she might be able to challenge. Once this information is given, you will have the chance to vote on whether to do so.
When asked why it was three in the update, he said Shen Hu bonus between plan synergy and bonding event synergy.

As for how I expect to find a site without exploration:
[] Take Sect Jobs(Earns Sect Points 11-20 per AP, provides penalized exploration roll)
We are taking 3 sect jobs +1 (FeFe) this turn. We'll take sect jobs most turns, and multiple ones. So we'll have plenty of exploration rolls.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by naths on Mar 24, 2019 at 11:40 AM, finished with 383 posts and 54 votes.

When asked why it was three in the update, he said Shen Hu bonus between plan synergy and bonding event synergy.

We are taking 3 sect jobs +1 (FeFe) this turn. We'll take sect jobs most turns, and multiple ones. So we'll have plenty of exploration rolls.

Fair enough for the 2 exploration rolls, but the sect jobs exploration are penalised, which make getting good sites very unlikely for me, as it already require a 75+ roll as a base. We will see how effective they are in the next turn either way.

I really don't want to drop exploration

[X]Plan: Moon and Snakes

[X]Plan: Less pushups more stealth/exploration
-[X] Pay Household expenses: 6 RSS
-[X] use 8 GSS (4 free GSS + 4 paid GSS) and 12 free YSS
-[X] use high pills (35 YSS (14x25 RSS))
-[X] EPC to Spiritual Cultivation
-[X] Physical x2
-[X] Spiritual x4
-[X] Jobs x3
-[X] Meridian Openings x2 (Head, Lung) (Leg, Head)
-[X] ENM x1
-[X] PLR x1
-[X] CDE x2
-[X] TRF x1
-[X] SCS x1
-[X] Exploration Via New Moon Sect Map x1
-[X] Moon Quest x1
-[X] Xiao Fen tutoring x1
-[X] equip CDE and ENM
-[X] unequip AC

[X] Skill plan: Renxiang needs Help that won't get wrecked by spiritual attacks!

Last edited:
Fair enough for the 2 exploration rolls, but the sect jobs exploration are penalised, which make getting good sites very unlikely for me, as it already require a 75+ roll as a base. We will see how effective they are in the next turn either way.
I don't expect good sites, yes. I do think that finding mediocre sites (like the water one we found) could happen, and the actual difference between a good site and a mediocre site is not that high. I also don't expect to find any sites of the same quality as Silent Stone, and even that one's 'but wind' wouldn't be so much stronger than just a mediocre site.

Whew, caught back up after being gone for a month. Kinda glad I took the break, the Zeqing tribulation would have been stressful if I couldn't read it in one go.

[X]Plan: Moon and Snakes
[X] Skill plan: Renxiang needs Help!

I'm not fond of giving up a proper exploration action simply because we will be having reduced exploration rolls alongside our Sect Jobs. There is a lot of crazy things around the inner sect, some of which may be incredibly useful to us. Not simply cultivation sites, but various rewards for trials including pills or valuable talismans. There could be additional Weilu Tombs, powerful spirits which to bargain knowledge with, complexes of the minor clans from before Cloud Barbarian invasions, etc.

There is a lot of potential out there, as evidenced by the King of the Forest trial and the stuff we found on the Outer Sect mountain. We have a major advantage over other new inner sect students in that we have a New Moon Map of the sect. Putting it to good use seems prudent so that we can compound on our successes with whatever we find. Admittedly, it is a gamble. The Moon Map is not up to date, and so sites may be gone, or trials exhausted. But it's a gamble that has the potential to give amazing results.

Also, speaking of powerful spirits that we have the potential to treat with, we actually have specialties for our Spirit Ken!
Spirit Ken: C (0/25)
-Specialty: Moon, Darkness
So that's pretty cool. Especially since Moon and Darkness spirits could be a bit more difficult to find than your average Black Steel Bear. Also, if there are any specific spirits that we would want to treat with, Moon and Darkness spirits are pretty high up there in terms of having the most to teach us/bargain with us for. We haven't seen any strong pure darkness spirit yet but given the text of Coveteous Wraith, they normally don't last all that long. Finding a strong one that lasts longer than a night cycle would be pretty interesting, and probably exceedingly dangerous.

Either way, in regards to spirits, it will be interesting to see if we can learn/bargain with/take inspiration from powerful spirits that we meet.

I don't expect good sites, yes. I do think that finding mediocre sites (like the water one we found) could happen, and the actual difference between a good site and a mediocre site is not that high. I also don't expect to find any sites of the same quality as Silent Stone, and even that one's 'but wind' wouldn't be so much stronger than just a mediocre site.

A minor site give .2 to cultivation speed is about .1 as a multiplier given how most our arrs are running close to 1 in multiplier. So it's about .1 AP per AP

On the other hand a major site give this and in addition 10% to succ to physical. Given how we have much less multipliers to base cultivation. Valuing that around .15 AP per AP seems relativelly fair, which would means that they provide .25 AP.

The difference between each is pretty significant. Moreover, if we get some site that boost spiritual cultivation, it might means getting to green 4 one or two turns earlier, which would be a significant boost.

I'm not fond of giving up a proper exploration action simply because we will be having reduced exploration rolls alongside our Sect Jobs. There is a lot of crazy things around the inner sect, some of which may be incredibly useful to us. Not simply cultivation sites, but various rewards for trials including pills or valuable talismans. There could be additional Weilu Tombs, powerful spirits which to bargain knowledge with, complexes of the minor clans from before Cloud Barbarian invasions, etc.

There is a lot of potential out there, as evidenced by the King of the Forest trial and the stuff we found on the Outer Sect mountain. We have a major advantage over other new inner sect students in that we have a New Moon Map of the sect. Putting it to good use seems prudent so that we can compound on our successes with whatever we find. Admittedly, it is a gamble. The Moon Map is not up to date, and so sites may be gone, or trials exhausted. But it's a gamble that has the potential to give amazing results.
It's a gamble that's both pricey, as it means pushing back having a functional stealth suite for another handful of turns, but it's also purposefully hoping for a big event in a turn where we are already having too many events, after another turn where we had too many events, to the point where the writer expressed desire for a turn with fewer parts.

Turn 4 is shaping up tor have Moon Quest, FeFe tutoring, Zhengui waking up, and two bonding events. We might or might not have the Cai arts arriving, too. It's meta, but narratively "big event payout from exploration crit" would be very badly situated when we are already having so many events in the turn already.

I mean, I am not such a stealth fan, either. I just think we should give stealth a fair shake before declaring it non-viable.
A minor site give .2 to cultivation speed is about .1 as a multiplier given how most our arrs are running close to 1 in multiplier. So it's about .1 AP per AP

On the other hand a major site give this and in addition 10% to succ to physical. Given how we have much less multipliers to base cultivation. Valuing that around .15 AP per AP seems relativelly fair, which would means that they provide .25 AP.

The difference between each is pretty significant. Moreover, if we get some site that boost spiritual cultivation, it might means getting to green 4 one or two turns earlier, which would be a significant boost.
Take the example of the wood site. It gives an additional 1/10 to cultivation... for wood arts that have a physical keyword. That is, only TRF and not SES or IMH.

The difference between Wood grove and Water site is not another .15 per AP, it's another .1 per AP used for very specific arts. So, a good site would tend to be 5% better than a mediocre one.

Last edited:
[X]Plan: Stealth is fine too
[X] Skill plan: Renxiang needs Help that won't get wrecked by spiritual attacks!
[X] Skill plan: Help with more finesse
[X] Skill plan: Frost Backstab +10d6

It's a gamble that's both pricey, as it means pushing back having a functional stealth suite for another handful of turns, but it's also purposefully hoping for a big event in a turn where we are already having too many events, after another turn where we had too many events, to the point where the writer expressed desire for a turn with fewer parts.

Turn 4 is shaping up tor have Moon Quest, FeFe tutoring, Zhengui waking up, and two bonding events. We might or might not have the Cai arts arriving, too. It's meta, but narratively "big event payout from exploration crit" would be very badly situated when we are already having so many events in the turn already.

I mean, I am not such a stealth fan, either. I just think we should give stealth a fair shake before declaring it non-viable.
Don't take my reluctance to vote for your plan as a declaration against stealth. I'm all for stealth and would really like to dive deep into what it has to offer, especially with the revelation that Hanyi has a very good attention-grabbing art. I do want stealth, but I think that now is not yet the proper time to start really start working on it, and it would be more valuable to work on exploration.

First, meta-wise, we know that challenges will be handled in the background at the moment so there is no pressing immediate concern to develop our stealth in order to broaden our array of possible challenges. Ling Qi will be handling the challenges until we are ready to make a big leap.

The second reason is that the Cai arts should be coming in a couple of months, and there is a good chance that one of them will involve stealth to some capacity. I would rather train that art than the stuff we got in the first archive. Even if the Cai arts don't contain a stealth art, I would rather research stealth arts from the second level of the Sect's Library given that the first level arts don't have the gumption that I would consider relevant to be a cornerstone of possibly a core aspect of our build.

Now on to the meta aspect of doing exploration this turn, if Yrs doesn't want to write events created from the exploration rolls, then there are a plethora of ways to avoid the event while still keeping the benefit of the exploration. Having it just be a blurb that we solved a unique maze to locate treasure within and moving on, or having it so that we need to spend AP next turn to properly explore/take the location/trial before we receive the benefit simply because we are too busy this turn. Or we find the locale of a spirit and now we have to do research into the nature of the spirit if we want to bargain with it, like what happened with Heizui.

So yeah, I agree. There are a lot of events coming up this next month. But that doesn't mean that exploration is suddenly a worse option than our other options. Powerful rewards can come from non-event situations, or if an event is appropriate then it can be delayed with the very in character reason that we are busy.

Last edited:

Site quality is decided by the roll result, though, so while this will work for basic sites we are very unlikely to find strong ones.
May still be better due to the importance of sect points, though.

Site quality is decided by the roll result, though, so while this will work for basic sites we are very unlikely to find strong ones.
May still be better due to the importance of sect points, though.
That was why I talked about the importance of strong sites vs mediocre ones. Strong sites are a bit better than mediocre ones, but they are not so much better that, once we have a mediocre one, they are worth getting. Not only that, depending on how the 'penalty' works what determines likelyhood of getting a strong site is "how many exploration rolls we have made". Considering how many sect jobs AP we are likely to be doing, actually doing exploration actions would have to be done a lot to have higher odds of getting those better sites.

Obviously though, it's very possible that Yrs caps the pool of potential site available to a lower threshold than exploration ones.
Don't take my reluctance to vote for your plan as a declaration against stealth. I'm all for stealth and would really like to dive deep into what it has to offer, especially with the revelation that Hanyi has a very good attention-grabbing art. I do want stealth, but I think that now is not yet the proper time to start really start working on it, and it would be more valuable to work on exploration.

First, meta-wise, we know that challenges will be handled in the background at the moment so there is no pressing immediate concern to develop our stealth in order to broaden our array of possible challenges. Ling Qi will be handling the challenges until we are ready to make a big leap.

The second reason is that the Cai arts should be coming in a couple of months, and there is a good chance that one of them will involve stealth to some capacity. I would rather train that art than the stuff we got in the first archive. Even if the Cai arts don't contain a stealth art, I would rather research stealth arts from the second level of the Sect's Library given that the first level arts don't have the gumption that I would consider relevant to be a cornerstone of possibly a core aspect of our build.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying "I am all for stealth, but in another handful of turns".

My problem with this reasoning is I want to be able to properly evaluate if stealth is viable before we begin looking for and training our latest iteration of our build before the tournament. I really don't want to train a couple of stealth arts to Threshold without having tested the viability of stealth in fights against peers.

Last edited:
What followed was… tense, incredibly so. Elder Jiao would set her a task, like pilfering stones or pills from a disciple, or slipping into a home unnoticed and planting tokens in specific locations, with nary a hint of advice, and only a few casual pointers for improvement in the aftermath. It ramped up quickly. It ramped up quickly, as they proceeded to the part of the mountain where many of the older disciples lived apart. She switched the contents of people's bags, broke locks, planted pills and tokens in bedrooms and bathrooms, rearranged furniture and knick knacks in the instants when their owners were out of the room.

Larceny 3, dexterity 6, specialty 1, EPC 2. 12 dice. 6 auto
8 1 9 2 3 8 1 7 7 8 10 10. 8 successes. 14 total
...And she managed without getting caught once, even when he commanded something ridiculous, like replacing a girls hairpins from her dressing table without her noticing, while the girl was putting them in.
Could we really do this with C ranked stealth?

I think we should do something exploring-ish since we just got Hanyi, and she's been stuck on that mountaintop literally since the moment she was born. We let the bird out of the cage, perhaps we should let it fly around and sing?

Back