Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I hope Rixiong gets to meet Ling Qi and enter the husbando wars, I mean, enter the main narrative. I'm really enjoying his story.
sun and moon duality would be beautiful and the contrast between the LQ's way of communication and diplomacy and Rixiong's strong martial focus and zenith worship is interesting. he would also relate to her childhood better and have a much better understanding of how LQ approaches her bonded beasts than existing husband options. it's weird to say this without seeing even one scene of LQ and him interacting but this is the first husbando option that actually excited me.

I hope Rixiong gets to meet Ling Qi and enter the husbando wars, I mean, enter the main narrative. I'm really enjoying his story.

Honestly, I'd be here for that ship. Rix seems like a character whose primary weakness is [communication] because he's too blunt and honest. That seems like a good match for LQ. In addition, while he's bad at Imperial decorum, he's well-versed in spiritual decorum which is an area that LQ needs all the expert help in she can get. Further on that point, Rix isn't going to bring in political complications to a marriage. With other suitors, there's a possibility of conflicting loyalties if CRX starts doing some stuff their families don't like. Or various other snaggles in marriage contracts between nobles. What he would bring is connections to the Spirit Courts of the Emerald Seas which, as I mentioned, is exceptionally valuable to LQ.

Also, cute ship dynamic. Junior sees mysterious, icy senior and falls in love. Grows to realize she's actually a stack of pun-loving goblins stuffed into a trenchcoat. Even better.

Personally I think I prefer the dynamics of them becoming friends or coworkers over romantic partners, but I definitely agree it'd be entertaining to see the characters bounce off each other.

Rixiong is a great character for a standalone short, but I wouldn't want him to get involved in the main plot when Ling Qi already has a bunch of male suitors with much more established relationships with her.

"Accepted," Rixiong followed after him, with rolling stomping steps, cracking his neck. This was a duel, well and proper, finally he could vent this rage in his heart honorably! He planted his spear in the earth, and brought his fists together in front of his chest with a thump. "O great sun, O Zenith, I dedicate this battle to your glory, a pale reflection of the endless war."

Cao Yun regarded him with some surprise as he recited his prayer.

"Well? Make your dedication," Rixiong barked.

"...I dedicate this battle to the glory of the Empire, O Dragon of Order, may the Jade Archivist record even this small match to the litany of Imperial valor," Cao Yun said stiffly.
I asked Yrs, and these kinds of dedications aren't just old-fashioned in the Empire. They're downright ancient. Not something that's done these days.
Maybe a way to win brownie points with some of the more hardcore "everything was better back in (insert applicable time period)" crowd?
And a way to show you're sincere. Per the Q&A "breaking an oath made on a Great Spirit's name has its own punishments."

Ling Qi can't marry Rixiong. He's poor.

We might as well marry from a Viscounty! I'm sorry to say, but it's simply beneath us.

There's no shame in it for him, of course. Everyone has their proper place beneath the Imperial Dragon's wings.

Oh my, look who's courting death by saying that the Imperial Dragon has wings. Do you take her for a lowly bat?
:p
Hah, fair. I have no excuse either.

But I am gonna double-down. They're just invisible wings, all heavenly dragons have them, but they hide them in shame at the fact they do not compare to the serpentine grace of the Bai.

Also granny Bai is not a white serpent, but one of many hues, encompassing all the castes born from her. Disagree? Well, where's the proof. I'll tell you where: hidden! Isn't it convenient that only the White caste ever chance to directly witness their progenitor serpent? It's all a ruse, a scheme to stop others from questioning the truth and proper proportion of dignity among the lakes! But I've already said too much....

Aaaand, there, I've now properly courted death.

Year 45 Month 11 Arc 1-1 Reunion New
She embraced Hanyi tightly, her nose full of the wintergreen scent of her junior sister's hair. Said junior sister squirmed as she hugged her back, patting her shoulders. She could feel the increased chill as her snow white cheeks flushed a dark blue. "C'mon, big sis, not in front of everybody…" she whispered quietly.

Ling Qi snorted, she didn't want to hear that, she gave her sister a final hard squeeze before straightening up, resting her hand on Hanyi's head. They stood out at the edge of Shenglu, where the temporary stables had been set up, workers and merchantmen passing them by with lowered heads. Bao Qian looked on, amused from the drivers seat of his wagon. "Be well, my sister. Perform your duties diligently, and bring honor to the Ling clan on your journey."

My she sounded so old, talking like this, didn't she. Ling Qi rested both of her hands on Hanyi's shoulders, looked her in the eyes, and smiled.

"And have fun of course, and don't trouble sir Bao too much."

"I'm not going to trouble him at all!" Hanyi whined.

Ling Qi looked at her.

Hanyi looked back.

Ling Qi held her gaze.

Her junior sister looked away. "...I'll be good."

Ling Qi nodded solemnly, and ruffled her hair. "I know, little sister. See you in a few months."

It still ached a little to say that, ached to let her go…. But it was a good ache in its way. She couldn't keep Hanyi tied to her hip. Even if in these days her own mind felt a little lonely with all of her spirits off doing their own things.

"I will do my best to keep your junior from a crooked path," Bao Qian said wryly. "And I bid you farewell too, Lady Ling. The road goes ever on, but it leads back around in time."

"It does," Ling Qi agreed. "Bao Qian, thank you for taking care of my sister."

He nodded cheerfully as Hanyi climbed into the back of his wagon, pulling his drivers hat onto his head, and with a tug of the reigns, got the horses moving, sending the wagon rumbling into motion as it left the yeard, and slowly turned to trundle down the road going north. Ling Qi remained where she was unmindful of the respectful berth the mortals and low cultivators left around her, until the colorful vehicle began to vanish over the top of the nearest hill. Only then did she turn to go, considering the work on her desk today. She had filed for the import route of course, but she also had to write back to several correspondents, file through the invitations Lady Cai had received for their visit to Xiangmen, and…

Near the gates of Shenglu, she turned her head and paused, looking back over her shoulder at the northern road. That qi…

Wait, was that horse pink?

***​
No, the shade was lavender as it turned out. And he was a fine stallion she had to admit, with a healthy shiny coat, a broad chest… and the finest mane she had ever seen, darker purplish hair tumbling down in wavy locks that would put many a noblewoman to shame.

Lin Hai, naturally, perched on his back without reigns or saddle and beamed down at her, his own hair a floaty permed cloud of gold tipped black, tumbling down his back, wearing a high collared and down right indecent outer robe with nothing beneath, whose flared lower half left his midriff bare.

She refused to look lower than that. She might have gotten better, but there were limits to decency, and those were not pants. They looked more like paint than silk.

Which she didn't see because she was not looking. A beat of silence passed in her thoughts.

…She missed Sixiang.

Lin Hai slid from his horses back to land gracefully before her, sketching a small bow. "I do apologize for the sudden arrival, Lady Ling, but I was quite certain you would want my delivery as soon as possible."

"I understand, and thank you for your speed," Ling Qi asked. "Although… why not fly?"

"Because my friend here has not gotten out in ages," Lin Hai said brightly stroking his stallions mane, who tossed his head proudly. "And also, I knew from Lady Cai's missives that you are beginning some spiritually delicate work and did not want to disrupt things."

She supposed an indigo realm flying here at full speed might disrupt the preparations for the lake ceremony going on. "Well, I thank you for your consideration as well," Ling Qi said. Despite herself, she was feeling a bit antsy. Her dress, this could only be her dress, right? "Would you like to come inside?"

"Please," Lin Hai said, bowing his head. "After all, I suspect you will want a room to change in once I have made my delivery."

Ling Qi chuckled, scratching her cheek. She supposed, to her tailor, that could only be obvious.

"...Yes please lets go inside. I will call for some refreshments, and then you can make your delivery," Ling Qi said sheepishly, turning and beckoning for him to follow. "Welcome to Shenglu sir Lin, I hope things at the Sect have been well…"

Small talk established she led their guest through the town, and into the manor. She might have walked a touch faster than was polite.

Soon Lin Hai was ensconced in the dining hall, served their best tea and light refreshments, and he had handed it over, a simple silver chased dark wooden box a few handspans wide. He had smiled indulgent at her as she rushed from the room, for the privacy of the chambers Cai Renxiang had granted her hear, the box clasped to her chest. She would apologize to the servants and bureaucrats she startled in her wraithlike rush through the walls and floors later.

Laying the box upon her bed, she brushed her fingers of the formation seals in the sequence Lin Hai had given her, it unsealed with a soft click and a hiss of softly perfumed air. The scent reminded her of clear night skies and the clean and cold air whipping by her face at the highest altitudes.

She was surprised as she lifted the lid and set it aside, and saw the plain midnight blue silk folded neatly inside. Curiously, she slid her fingers under the fabric, it felt almost liquid, gliding over her hands as she lifted it out. Plain. That was the only word for what she saw. Four layers of fabric, the black shift meant to be worn right against the skin, the inner layer, shimmering in the dark purple hue visible in the sky just before dawn, the third layer, with wide billowing sleeves and an attached sash in the color of the inner, and finally, the mantle, lined with a thin collar of ice blue and black fur.

No embroidery, no decoration, just clean plain beautiful silk. And a thrumming, deep resonance of qi. Fabric rustled, the sleeves billowed in a wind that was not there, and she had not made.

Longing. Please.

Ling Qi took a deep breath, stroked her thumb on the collar of the gown. She felt the silk hum, a purr like an affectionate cat.

She set it-her- down over the side of the bed, and began to get changed.

Her gown fit perfectly of course. It hung on her with the exact perfect weight, tight where it should be, loose where it was not. More than that, it was so much more present than the fine mortal weaves she'd been using. Security. Blows that she would need to twist around and dance and scatter herself to avoid would shatter uselessly against the rustling silk.

She swept her fingers over the black silk, and watched as whirling snowflakes and ice blue flower petals bloomed, embroidery emerging like the flashing scales of fish just under the surface of the lake.

Fur hems to match her mantle bloomed along her sleeves and at the bottom hem of the gown with a thought. The silk slippers made part of the outfit rippled, expanding and thickening, blunt heels pushing up as supple leather rippled up her legs, becoming a pair of riders boots, and just as easily and silently rippled back into soft indoor slippers.

Ling Qi hugged herself around the waist. "I have missed you."

The silk thrummed, and through it she felt a deep impenetrable reservoir of darkness and wind. Like a pitch black full of crying breezes, which no star or moonlight pierced. What she felt and heard in the lonely songs of the night breeze weren't words exactly, feelings expressed, more like the simple emotions she sensed from a child.

Embrace. Warmth. Love. Love. WANT. Home.homehomehomhomehome.

Silk and fabric clung to her skin, and she felt her qi drain precipitiously. Like a glass of water handed to a starving child. But she didn't feel even a moment of fear, being able to see and feel the nascent emotions of the spirit in her dress. A simple chiding pull back on her energies was enough for the eager thirst to withdraw without question or hesitation.

She felt curiosity, radiating out and a childish desire to please. The colors and patterns of her gown shifted and roiled rapidly cycling through numerous dark hues and silver and white embroidery. Her collar rose and fanned out, it shrunk and grew snug a fur ruff blooming. The lower half of the gown bloomed out a trailing train of lace and floating silk, it shrunk back down, an elegant and snug cut, slit up to the knee for movement. Wide sleeves, narrow sleeves, loose sleeves, bound sleeves.

Beauty. Enhancement. Soft? Airy? Mysterious? Inscrutable? Imposing? Imposing? Domineering! Untouchable!

POWERFUL!

"Ah, t-tone that down, my heels do not need to be that high," Ling Qi said chidingly, patting at the swooping high collar that had bloomed behind her head. She kind of liked those elbow gloves but…. No! No. She looked like some kind of theater villainess.

Sad.

"...Not right now," Ling Qi said "The fur ruff at the neck, the long mantle, snowflakes and flower petals, close cut… and flat heels!"

Saaaaaad
Now she was worried. Her dress might just get on too well with Sixiang.

Whispering Thoughts. Soul Shield. Kin?

"They are," Ling Qi said quietly, smoothing the now glittering silks watching the snow embroidery move like a living panorama over black silk. She could feel their bond settling back into place, a firm connection, but it was more complex now, the difference between a single spun cord and a braided rope if she had to find a physical metaphor.

It was more than a loose binding to her dantian to be tugged and pulled, no she and her gown were linked more deeply than that. It went down into the foundations of her dantian, where a cord of energy that glittered with an adamant white thread had anchored deep in her cultivation. To the concepts she had been cultivating to build her nascent domain.

It was...

AN: Please select an initial concept to tie Dress-chan too, this will cause her to grow based on your advancement of the concept and the insights tied to that concept. Throughout her early growth you will be able to select up to three concepts, finalizing her foundation. This will affect both her powers and burgeoning personality over time.

[ ] A tie to Power

[ ] A tie to Mystery

A small afterward, If you enjoy the quest, please consider dropping a few dollars to the patreon or for a fun bit of merch. For patrons even as quest followers you get early access to commissions, full access to Journey to the East as well as the new sidestory featuring Meizhen's trip in Zhengjian underway as well as first access to new stories if I make them!
Check out them out!
Patreon
and
Destiny Store
Thank you your readership and participation in the Quest!

[ ] A tie to Mystery

Just checked our spirit's concepts.
Zhengui has Power as a primary concept. Dress-chan should have her own niche.

Also, it's time to start coming up with names!

Lin Hai, naturally, perched on his back without reigns or saddle and beamed down at her, his own hair a floaty permed cloud of gold tipped black, tumbling down his back, wearing a high collared and down right indecent outer robe with nothing beneath, whose flared lower half left his midriff bare.

Celebrated the instant I saw his name.

Ling Qi hugged herself around the waist. "I have missed you."

The silk thrummed, and through it she felt a deep impenetrable reservoir of darkness and wind. Like a pitch black full of crying breezes, which no star or moonlight pierced. What she felt and heard in the lonely songs of the night breeze weren't words exactly, feelings expressed, more like the simple emotions she sensed from a child.

Embrace. Warmth. Love. Love. WANT. Home.homehomehomhomehome.

Dress-chan has both woken up and gotten quite the set of upgrades.

"Ah, t-tone that down, my heels do not need to be that high," Ling Qi said chidingly, patting at the swooping high collar that had bloomed behind her head. She kind of liked those elbow gloves but…. No! No. She looked like some kind of theater villainess.

Even a tiny baby understands that Qi's aesthetic is that of a villain.

Sad.

"...Not right now," Ling Qi said "The fur ruff at the neck, the long mantle, snowflakes and flower petals, close cut… and flat heels!"

Saaaaaad

I love her so much. Sorry dress-chan, your mom is a bit boring about certain things.

[ ] A tie to Mystery

Definitely prefer this, I kinda wanna let off the gas on our Power concept, it's one of our top concepts and I have higher priorities.

AN: Please select an initial concept to tie Dress-chan too, this will cause her to grow based on your advancement of the concept and the insights tied to that concept. Throughout her early growth you will be able to select up to three concepts, finalizing her foundation. This will affect both her powers and burgeoning personality over time.
I have strong feelings about my goal of 'each spirit gets their own connected tribulation and advanced insight', and while zhengui doesn't have his yet (and...i dont think we'll be getting a full tribulation so soon despite the planned project but at some point before 4th realm we need to share a tribulation with our son :V), i think dress-chan gets to count this last tribulation as one, since she kinda half melted along with ling qi:
The world is never still. Power is change. In every soul sleeps that spark. There is power in stoking that, enflaming that. Power that may move mountains and gods alike. (Power, Motion, Choice)
So i will almost certainly be voting for power :p

Back