Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Inserted tally

It looks like Argent won.
Adhoc vote count started by Thor's Twin on Feb 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM, finished with 300 posts and 158 votes.

Now to hope we get a shoulder fairy now that shittalks everyone in sight and provides color commentary that all can enjoy!

[X] She flew to the Silent Stones, though she disliked the implications, it was the only moon site she knew

I'm sooooo excited for more circular subjective arguments, like 'cold is always unpleasant' and 'foundation qi (which is totally a thing hahaHAHA) is better quantitatively'. this isn't a trial vote, where failure is likely/possible, this is a decision point for path. you can really only vote based on preference
Don't you know, if your preference doesn't match mine you are bad and quantifiable wrong also probably have poor hygiene and drive the speed limit in the passing lane

Now that it is over, let me get my crazies theories for how either sites would influenced Sixiang and her/his proto domain.

Stones is moon. This could means seeing some futures in addition to seeing our memories. But the most likely is that it would allow us to try again in our memories like knife boi is doing with the bloody moon trial.

Home would mean music, darkness and cold. Beside the risks, it's also the strongest of the qi locuses. This would probaboy supercharge the music part, allowing us to try out our new music arts in the safety of our mind, making learning music faster (or making music).

Vent is argent. This is a focus on the basic. So either Sixiang herself get stronger or it strengthen the ability of the proto domain (facilitating skill training I would guess).

What are yours ?

Anyway, a comment on the whole challenge thing adding to an already busy month...

I would argue that what we're looking for atm is not a complicated challenge. I assume we're not going to get another music challenge here, and we haven't levelled our stealth skills so we probably don't want to try that either.

What we are doing this month is getting domain 2, bronze appraisal, and maxing out our music. What we want to do I think is take those skills and beat the shit out of someone with them.

What we want, I think, is a combat challenge.

Stone is Moon. We don't know what exactly she is doing right now, but if she is locking her dreamscape this likely means that she will make the beginning of the equivalent of Zeqing's own locus. So, if it's a site, this means something like 1.3 to moon, 1.3 to music, with each being added. Fairly useless to us, but fairly useful to Sixiang herself. If it has an effect on Sixiang herself rather than a site, then we can expect .4 to music/moon rather than .2 to her spirit beast bonus.

Argent Vent is Foundation, so if it's a site we can either expect a 1.2 to Imperial elements, or a 1.2 to everything. If it's a bonus to Sixiang herself, we can expect her spirit beast bonus to give 0.1 to Imperial elements, as well as a 0.1 to base cultivation to Sixiang herself.

Zeqing Site is Potency. As such, if it's a site we can expect 1.2 to moon, music, wood, water, and if there is multiple ones they are added. If it's to Sixiang herself, then increase each bonus she already gives by 0.1, so moon/music to 0.4, wood to .2, water to .2.

Stone is Moon. We don't know what exactly she is doing right now, but if she is locking her dreamscape this likely means that she will make the beginning of the equivalent of Zeqing's own locus. So, if it's a site, this means something like 1.3 to moon, 1.3 to music, with each being added. Fairly useless to us, but fairly useful to Sixiang herself. If it has an effect on Sixiang herself rather than a site, then we can expect .4 to music/moon rather than .2 to her spirit beast bonus.

Argent Vent is Foundation, so if it's a site we can either expect a 1.2 to Imperial elements, or a 1.2 to everything. If it's a bonus to Sixiang herself, we can expect her spirit beast bonus to give 0.1 to Imperial elements, as well as a 0.1 to base cultivation to Sixiang herself.

Zeqing Site is Potency. As such, if it's a site we can expect 1.2 to moon, music, wood, water, and if there is multiple ones they are added. If it's to Sixiang herself, then increase each bonus she already gives by 0.1, so moon/music to 0.4, wood to .2, water to .2.
These are some bold predictions arkeus. Do have any quotes to back up your idea that she is creating a locus like zeqing or is this just you shooting from the hip?

These are some bold predictions arkeus. Do have any quotes to back up your idea that she is creating a locus like zeqing or is this just you shooting from the hip?
Huh.... you are aware I explicitely said that locus was just one of the interpretation, which is why I gave multiple interpretations of what could happen, right? Are you saying that when asked "what are your ideas on what could happen", we aren't allowed to give any ideas at all? If so, why aren't you calling me out for saying that it could instead enhance Sixiang herself? Or is it because that's your own bold prediction, and as such we are allowed that one but no other?

As for why she would be creating her own locus, it's because last time we saw her she told us that:
"What is this?" Ling Qi asked, managing to stand up after a few moments and begin picking her way across the treacherously soft 'ground'.

"Um, I guess you could say this kinda like my Domain?" Sixiang replied, not looking back at her. "Not bad for a first try, huh? I haven't gotten all the physical bits finished though. I wanted to wait a bit before I invited you in."
As such, it sounds extremely likely that is, in fight, creating a locus where we can train in in our dreams (or she can train in all the time).

I mean, if we are talking about 'bold claims', Welll.....
I guess I will throw in my reason for going to the argent vent to further muddle this argument.

What ever Sixiang is doing it seems to be a delicate process as shown by the full month where she almost didn't talk to us because she was so focused on the project.

Now distractations could be really bad at this critical point. The argent vent is the location that has the least chance for something to show up and cause a costly problem. Ice mom's place has hanyi running around and she could, by accident, cause problems with a delicate process. Silent stones is in the wilderness and thus could attract wild spirits. Our home is sealed against random elements.

Are those things likely to happen? No. However I still believe in being safe with what is going on.
Here you are saying that Hanyi can get in our dantian to disrupt Sixiang, or that a random spirit beast can do so.... but that our many enemies in the inner sect proper can't. Because if you are talking about 'danger of being interrupted', in the three places, it's a bold claim to make the one place we know we are the least safe to the most safe.

But hey, 'Creating a scenario that has absolutely no chance of happening when it has more chance of happening for your own desires' is a totally valid reason to not vote for something.
Though paradoxically, that means people are not going to be inclined to give us one if they're smart.
It shouldn't be too hard to find an opponent that focus on ass kicking, I think.

Last edited:
Sixiang is constructing a persistent ~dream~ environment which she described as like a Domain. That's pretty similar to what Zeqing's home appears to be, deeply steeped in her nature. Spirits are weirdos, and Sixiang is particularly immaterial, so there's going to be differences in execution, but the idea that Sixiang is forming the equivalent or precursor to Zeqing's home isn't all that reckless as speculation goes.

Then again, I thought it was obvious from the first mention of Sixiang being distracted with something.

I wouldn't even say that. I'd say that I think there should be plenty of cultivators whose primary skillset is kicking ass (eg Ji Rong) and who didn't get to where they are by lacking confidence in their skills.
It's more of a joke reference to Elbert Einstein's quote about the infiniteness of human stupidity and the universe. I'm sure that there are face punchers that would be more than willing to give us a good fight though.

As for what the Argent Vent might give... I'm skeptical of mechanical bonuses. If it was such a mechanical bonus, I feel that it would be more towards base cultivation rather than elemental. Specifically spiritual given Sixiang's nature.

It might be that Sixiang's more physical parts of her pseudo-domain creation will become more "real" and interactable. I'm not entirely sure, but I can't wait to find out.

Sixiang is constructing a persistent ~dream~ environment which she described as like a Domain. That's pretty similar to what Zeqing's home appears to be, deeply steeped in her nature. Spirits are weirdos, and Sixiang is particularly immaterial, so there's going to be differences in execution, but the idea that Sixiang is forming the equivalent or precursor to Zeqing's home isn't all that reckless as speculation goes.

Then again, I thought it was obvious from the first mention of Sixiang being distracted with something.
Well either that or trying for a physical body.

Well either that or trying for a physical body.
That seems exceedingly unlikely considering it's definitely related to the dream realm that Ling Qi badgered her way into prematurely. Nothing about that screams "and therefore she now has a physical body". Like, we know what she's doing, vaguely. We poked our nose in for a sneak peak and everything. It's almost definitely not body related.

For that matter, influence from the Argent Vent doesn't seem especially likely to be particularly material in nature.

Last edited:
That seems exceedingly unlikely considering it's definitely related to the dream realm that Ling Qi badgered her way into prematurely. Nothing about that screams "and therefore she now has a physical body". Like, we know what she's doing, vaguely. We poked our nose in for a sneak peak and everything. It's almost definitely not body related.

For that matter, influence from the Argent Vent doesn't seem especially likely to be particularly material in nature.
The vent strengthens Six's Foundation and since they're a bodiless "dream" it could also be called strengthening Six's "self"/ego which would potentially lead into a physical form later.

Six is ultimately an ephemeral existence right now and the Argent Qi by it's nature to exagerrate a Cultivator's self should give them a nice little boost to solidify it more.

@yrsillar
Are you worried about the fluff chapters in Forge of Destiny hosted on Royal Road?

Chapters in which nothing really happens except some numbers increasing due to mechanics that story readers won't actually see so it's just a constant retread of Linq Qi meditating and feeling stronger, again.

Last edited:
It's a common Xianxia trope for the quality/solidity of ones' foundation to be directly proportional to the distance one can go in the path of cultivation. The most important part of a house is its foundation, after all.

The vent strengthens Six's Foundation and since they're a bodiless "dream" it could also be called strengthening Six's "self"/ego which would potentially lead into a physical form later.

Six is ultimately an ephemeral existence right now and the Argent Qi by it's nature to exagerrate a Cultivator's self should give them a nice little boost to solidify it more.
I'm a bit confused. Why would strengthening Sixiang's fundamentals lead to a body when their underlying nature is a bodiless dream/muse? Bodies, temporary or otherwise, are totally on the table later on, but I don't see that it has much if anything to do with the Argent Vent or its effects.

It's a common Xianxia trope for the quality/solidity of ones' foundation to be directly proportional to the distance one can go in the path of cultivation. The most important part of a house is its foundation, after all.
Power is easily more common than 'foundationally aligned qi' in deciding the quality of a foundation, though. My bias towards my favorite aside, however, all three choices have strong genre arguments for improving Sixiang's cultivation. Elemental alignment, power, and special breakthrough energy are all established elements of the genre, to various degrees.
I really don't think this vote is a quiz where there are right and wrong answers for whether Sixiang succeeds or is able to advance. I think it's more about the impact of the qi on Sixiang's nature.

Here you are saying that Hanyi can get in our dantian to disrupt Sixiang, or that a random spirit beast can do so.... but that our many enemies in the inner sect proper can't. Because if you are talking about 'danger of being interrupted', in the three places, it's a bold claim to make the one place we know we are the least safe to the most safe.

But hey, 'Creating a scenario that has absolutely no chance of happening when it has more chance of happening for your own desires' is a totally valid reason to not vote for something.
I mean, you have to really twist @Neshuakadal's statement for that statement to say that Hanyi can get in our dantian. Like really twist it. I understand where you're coming from in that "how in the world could a random spirit distract Sixiang when she is in our dantian unless they got into our dantian," but that is, presumably, not what they are talking about.

Nowhere in their statement did the word "dantian" appear. However, we know that Sixiang can observe things that happen outside of the dantian, it's how she knows where things are in the physical world and can sense earth tremors before we notice it. Presumably, then, @Neshuakadal's post was about such a sufficient distraction in the outside world distracting Sixiang. I mean, they are free to correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, their post has nothing to do with another spirit invading the dantian and is merely about distractions in the outside world.

Last edited:
Another point on the challenge question is that if we're looking for combat challenges in the ~800-790 bracket then Renxiang and Meizhen should already have decent info on that. Meizhen especially.

Actually, on that note: @yrsillar what were Meizhen's challenges last month? Was she just beating people up?

So, people seem to want to argue what specific mechanical things might come out of going to the argent vent. I'm going to make an argument that I haven't seen yet. And that argument is fundamentally this:

Should there be a mechanical advantage to going to the Argent Vent, it will be in the form of letting Sixiang give us bonus Qi rolls every month.

Here's why.
"The first piece of knowledge that you must scribe into your mind is that qi is fundamental to all things," As the ghostly man spoke, ribbons of water rose from the water beneath him, twining around his seated form in an intricate display of control. "It is the clay from which we were shaped by the hands of Those Who Were, and it is the true form of all things. The earth and the sky are composed of qi, as is the flame and the heavenly bolt."
Our first lesson from the elders was that qi is fundamental to all things. Or, to put it in a different context, qi is the foundation of all things, for without qi there would be nothing. This is important. It is not that earth qi is fundamental to all things, it is not that water qi, fire qi, fire qi, or heavenly qi are fundamental to all things, it is the fact that qi is fundamental. Not the tint that qi gains when in an elemental form, but the base neutral qi which can be tinted to be whatever element is desired.

We know that such qi exists. It is in the very spirit stones that we consume to gain the energy to constantly cultivate. Furthermore, we can turn one type of qi into another type of qi. This is shown when we take stellar qi into ourselves, change it to be our very own qi, and then use that qi to express a darkness/water art. We've changed the type of qi from its first form into many different forms. But it remained qi throughout.

This tells me that if one were to remove the element tint from some qi it would still be considered qi, just neutral qi.

The importance of this is due to the "foundational" nature of the Argent Vent Qi. There is no element listed, and it would be almost impossible to say what specific element the Argent Vent qi is. For instance, it can cultivate a fire/water art (AC) which is argent just as well as a wind/thunder art (AS) that is argent. However, AC and AS don't use the argent element in their meridians. It's not an element for them. So how can one source of qi be Fire/Water/Wind/Thunder/Mountain/Lake/Earth/Heaven all at once equally? The answer is that it isn't. It's a type of qi which specifically created arts react strongly too. A balanced, element-less qi. The type of qi that is foundational in all other element tinted version of qi.

Why is this important? Because I don't think that Sixiang will get any sort of elemental bonus from the foundational qi at the Argent Vent. The foundational qi isn't element tinted, and its similar to the type of qi that spirit stones possess (hence it is the argent sites that give virtual spirit stones). What this foundational qi might give Sixiang the ability to do, however, is to turn excess background qi that she gathers into neutral foundational qi. Which is a type of qi that we are easily capable of processing and turning into qi of our own.

Which leads us back to the very beginning. It might then be possible, if this theory is correct, that Sixiang would gain the ability to give, or have herself, free bonus qi rolls from the excess background qi that she turns into neutral qi.

This theory is further supported by the fact that every single Argent Cultivation art we have gotten our hands on boosts the production of qi in some way. Either giving us bonuses to it's rolls as well as free base qi to gaining a free qi cultivation roll every month. Qi generation is an integral part of the whole Argent system, and I think it is because Argent qi is base element-less qi which is easy to digest and process into qi of our own.

So that's my theory. Given the nature of the Argent vent, Argent Qi, and Argent cultivation arts, and the fact that argent vents have been the only sites to give virtual spirit stones (and spirit stones use element-less qi) bring me to the theory that Foundational qi will give a qi generation bonus and not anything relating to elements.

As such, it sounds extremely likely that is, in fight, creating a locus where we can train in in our dreams (or she can train in all the time).
"Oh boy, this is going to be messy isn't it. Damn it, I wish I was ready…" Sixiang whispered.
Several updates ago, we saw Six expressing regret over the fight happening before she was ready - which implies that whatever she is doing now would be a combat enabler of some form or another. An artificial cultivation site doesn't match that.

Now, it is possible that she is building something that functions as both a combat multiplier AND a cultivation site, but at that point it is not exactly the simplest explanation out there any more.

Huh.... you are aware I explicitely said that locus was just one of the interpretation, which is why I gave multiple interpretations of what could happen, right? Are you saying that when asked "what are your ideas on what could happen", we aren't allowed to give any ideas at all? If so, why aren't you calling me out for saying that it could instead enhance Sixiang herself? Or is it because that's your own bold prediction, and as such we are allowed that one but no other?

As for why she would be creating her own locus, it's because last time we saw her she told us that:

I mean, if we are talking about 'bold claims', Welll.....

It shouldn't be too hard to find an opponent that focus on ass kicking, I think.

First sorry this is several hours late I read your post and then had to head to work. Now lets dig into your response.

First, where are your multiple interpretations on what is happening? You say it is likely that Sixiang is creating a locus and then offer two different versions of what that locus could do. One version acts as a site and another version of your locus affects only Sixiang. But it's the same idea. You think Sixiang is creating a locus. Then you provide two different outcomes of what that locus could be. Your idea that Sixiang is creating a locus is what I am calling you out for and asking for quotes. I don't really need to argue the two different outcomes because if you can't provide evidence for your theory then the two ideas based off of the locus theory are null.

Now lets move on to your statement that I have an idea of what is happening. I have no idea of what is happening. I hope that is clear enough for you. Nowhere did I even give an idea or a theory about what is happening. If you think that I did then your reading comprehension failed you. That is not my problem.

How do you know what is likely or not? What is your basis of belief that Sixiang is creating a locus like Zeqing? Next question how do you even know how locus form? We know very little about the talk from Elder Su about the nature of qi locus. Here is what we do know.

...A darkened mineshaft was also almost as good as an cluttered alley for the purposes of getting the jump on someone, along with everything that implied. She turned her thoughts away from that for the moment though, listening to Elder Su describe the signs of strong natural qi. Unfortunately most of the signs seemed to involve powerful spirit beasts and other dangerous things.

Do the powerful spirit beasts create those locus? Or are they drawn to locus that match them the most? We don't really know. We don't know how locus are made. We don't know how spirits add benefits to the locus they live in or even if they do at all. There is so much we don't know that saying it is likely that Sixiang is making a spirit locus seems super far fetched.

Then there is your 'proof' that she is creating a locus.

What is this?" Ling Qi asked, managing to stand up after a few moments and begin picking her way across the treacherously soft 'ground'.

"Um, I guess you could say this kinda like my Domain?" Sixiang replied, not looking back at her. "Not bad for a first try, huh? I haven't gotten all the physical bits finished though. I wanted to wait a bit before I invited you in."

How is this proving Sixiang is creating a locus? The word or even concept of a locus did not appear at all. All this proves is she is doing something that acts kinda of like a domain. This could be so many different things. It could be a different ability that has an area of effect like a domain has an area of effect. It could be almost anything and pretending like you know all possibilities and that a locus is the most likely is super arrogant. It could be something that we don't even know exists yet. We know nothing about what is happening so lets not pretend that we do.

Now on to the next point about me calling you out on your ideas. You may not even realize it but you are stating your ideas as facts. This is made worse because you are adding numbers that seem to have been pulled from the ether into your theories. This is the huge problem I have with your style of writing so far. You have this terrible habit of just putting forth your ideas as facts without any proof backing them up. (Some example of your ideas being presented as facts; argent vents are artificial, qi locus have a pleseant feel unless stated otherwise) Then people see your confidence in the 'facts' you are presenting and just assume them to be true.

It is super frustrating to me to see you try and say that these are just your ideas, and I am "trying to prevent people from having different ideas," but in your post you put these ideas forth as facts. If you didn't want to put your ideas to be treated as facts and then get questioned about those 'facts' then you really needed to add a qualifier stating something about how this is all just your ideas and gut feelings. Even then I would likely have called you out about Sixiang creating a locus since it is so far from left field. However, then you would be able to say that you don't have any proof and it's just a gut feeling and that would be ok.

If you don't want to be called out on presenting your ideas as facts then you need to stop presenting your ideas as facts. Once again this is not my problem. If you don't want to be called out then you need to change your writing so that it is clearer what you consider facts and what you consider your ideas.

Now on to your jump to try and make me look like a hypocrite. Thor and Twin already did an impressive post about just how badly you failed at understanding my point but I rewrite my points in easy to understand language. The usage of wild spirit beasts and Hayni were meant to be examples. Proof that we don't have complete control at those other sites.

• When working on cultivation sometimes distractions can be bad. We see this when Gu Yanmei stops us in week 20 and tells us not to disturb Xiulan.
  • We know things can effect spirits even in our dantian. We know this from week 47-48 Part 1 when we bind Sixiang and the armor is described as special "Having no physical form, Sixiang cannot be targetted or damaged by physical attacks unless the attack specifies an ability to damage spiritual entities." This makes it explicit that there are things that can effect Sixiang even in our dantian.
  • Our home is the safest spot listed. There will be no unexpected trials at our home. No unexpected visitors that we can't ignore. Any other spot something unexpected could happen.
Since our home has the lowest chance of the unexpected happening it would also stand that it has the lowest chance of a distractions happening. If something unexpected happened at the other sites would that be a distraction. Not necessarily, but my point was that it could. I do not want anything to go wrong with this unknown process so I wanted the site where we had the most control over what could happen. Right now I believe I have defended my idea well enough. If you feel like my defense is insufficient please call me out. I don't mind it and I feel like it helps enrich everyone that reads the posts.

Now we move onto your next point.

This is a little bit of a jumbled mess to me but I will try to parse it. First off is the mocking tone. Check. Next you say I created a scenario that couldn't happen. How do you know the scenario I created couldn't happen? Right here you have stated a fact that the scenario I created, a distraction happening and proving costly, couldn't happen. So.. do you have a quote to back this up? Or is this just another one of your ideas that just 'happens' to be presented as a fact? Because I believe I have already showed that it is possible for something to effect Sixiang while she is in our domain.

The next part of the sentence is really weird. "when it has more chance of happening for your[my] own desires," doesn't really fit with the previous part of the sentence. I think this may have been an undeleted first draft trying to talk about how I am increasing the chances of an event to suit my own wants. But honestly I have no idea what is trying to be said here.

The final part "is a totally valid reason to not vote for something;" is pretty clear. I agree with it too. Anything is a valid reason to vote for something. From gut feelings to cold logic. Anything is ok for a vote. What is not o.k is misleading people about what the facts are by presenting your ideas as facts.

Back