Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
And none of it did any more damage than Sun did to her, hence, equal.
But you said
The way I see it, Sun Liling was constantly escalating, trying to overwhelm Meizhen. Meizhen was in turn escalating her defence, but couldn't find enough room for a counter attack for most of the fight.
And if a defense oriented fighter and an offensive oriented fighter are taking the same amount of damage, then it comes down to who can better shrug off the damage to succeed.

With Meizhen being the one to fulfill that condition. That's why I said that Meizhen was able to consistently shrug off the worst of Lilings attacks, while Liling had to rely on escalation to keep pace with Meizhens own handling of the fight.

I'm not claiming authority.

I'm pointing out that you lack imagination.
If you wanted to point out that I lacked imagination without claiming authority, what you should have said is "I made up some possible arts that would do X". By bringing private interactions with the QM into the picture you are in fact trying to claim a degree of legitimacy for your imagined arts - something we lack the tools to confirm or contest. I stand by my objection.

Last edited:
Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Arkeus on Feb 1, 2019 at 1:18 AM, finished with 8051 posts and 69 votes.

Ho ho ho... Ji Rong challenged one below where we would have been, presumably to make a point ... but then we challenged up and won so...

KZ was underranked because he performed badly at the Inner Sect tournament against a ducal who was out to make a point, but we can see he made a fairly big jump, second only to Gu Xiulan, I think. Still behind Ji Rong, but that's pretty close rank wise ATM. He's somewhat overshadowed by the ducals and the high talent (and lol at the ~10 rank spread of scary ducals) but he's still quite good in a broader sense.

If we hadn't challenged this month, Ji Rong wins 829, sliding 829 to 830. We'd go to 831... but KZ is there so we'd have ended at 832 behind both of them. :) Fun stuff.

Edit: More fun stuff. Du Feng dropped 2 ranks rather than 1. We know that 1 of the rank slide is Ling Qi leapfrogging him. Now, unfortunately, Ling Qi doesn't give a fig about him so we don't know anything, but it means either: he lost a challenge for 825 or another person leapfrogged him as well.

Last edited:
KZ was underranked because he performed badly at the Inner Sect tournament against a ducal who was out to make a point, but we can see he made a fairly big jump, second only to Gu Xiulan, I think. Still behind Ji Rong, but that's pretty close rank wise ATM. He's somewhat overshadowed by the ducals and the high talent (and lol at the ~10 rank spread of scary ducals) but he's still quite good in a broader sense.
Yeah, for all that we all like to shit on him because of factional disputes and more importantly the initial dispute with Meizhen, he really isn't weak.

He's just gonna die to Meizhen some day.

Remind me again, what did KZ do to get on Meizhen's shit list? I have a faint memory of him making some sort of "Yo Momma" joke, but is that all?
He talked shit about her mother, who had been executed probably in part due to the actions of his father, yes.
And also staged an ambush to attack her while she was injured with a transparent 'protecting the weak' excuse, then tried to cripple Ling Qi when Bai Meizhen proved hard to take with support.

Last edited:
I just want to say, that despite people constantly bitching about mechanics, I think the latest round of mechanical things has been pretty interesting. The skill fix was really good and the new arts have been interesting and the music elixir generated a lot of mechanical weirdness and perverse incentives that I think are fitting for a powerful pill. If anything I think a lot of the mechanical changes have been too generous (the XP cost nerf to art levels especially looks a little silly in hindsight), but that is perpendicular to many of them also being in a good direction for verisimilitude and interestingness. Yrsillar has done a lot of hard work in the mechanics mines lately and I think the quest is going to reap the rewards of it over the next many months, it was a fraught thing but done well.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by naths on Feb 1, 2019 at 2:45 PM, finished with 8066 posts and 72 votes.

Alright, given that FVM has around a 66% chance to complete this month under the winning Plan, I'm going to go something about it.

@yrsillar

I would like to trade in 4 of my omake points for 40 successes in FVM.

This should significantly help FVM's chances of completing this month.

Anyway, Domains.

This is something we want to think about considering that we're going to be mastering FVM and FSS this month. What are we aiming for? What would good combinations of Domain slots be?

A problem here I think is that people get too often distracted by superficial elements like simplistic imagery or mechanical effects. The core of Domain development, however, it seems to me is as a character building exercise - and not in the mechanical sense. It is about forging one's Way. Piecing things together to form a life philosophy that governs how one sees the world, and how one approaches it.

For example, to understand Meizhen's Domain the best place to look is not in Qi's observations of her presence. The effects of her Domain are not irrelevant of course, but the most important place to look I think is her conversations with us about life philosophy.

Meizhen strongly believes in being feared. It's not about her having +10 to intimidate or whatever, it's that she believes that the best way to be a cultivator is to be an aristocratic icon of power and fear who no-one will dare challenge. It is her Way.

In many ways, I think that Domain slots being given quantified mechanical effects is kind of a distraction from what they're really about.

In addition, the strength of Domains is really important. They are not just "I think this Art taught me some valuable lessons" it's more "this Art speaks to me on a fundamental level and I want to live my life following these tenets". To make a medieval metaphor, mastering an Art is like reading the whole Bible, understanding it, and maybe taking some useful guidance from it. Slotting that Art is deciding to become a monk. Lots of arts can provide useful experience and skills without necessarily meaning we want to make them an integral part of our Way.

The question to ask ourselves is what kind of philosophy would we forge from different combinations of arts? What do we like? Where do we want to go? It's easy to look at individual arts and go "that's cool", but at the end of the day they have to come together as a coherent whole, and that requires us to actually think about the big picture.

For example, looking at FVM + FSS and our recent song fight, what I see is a kind of Existentialist philosophy? Everything ultimately Ends, and has no inherent meaning. However, the correct response is not to despair and give up, but to persevere and forge your own story anyway. It doesn't matter if it's going to end someday and have no greater meaning - what matters is that it's meaningful to you.

Building on that with, say, PLR + TRF + HDW then highlights what Ling Qi considers a fun meaningful life. Bringing friends together, supporting each other, and having fun. AM could highlight the importance of awareness of the Truth, and of knowing oneself in order to work out how to have a fulfilling life - as well as perhaps the importance of honest communication.

That's just one idea though, and there are lots of other possibilities that we should discuss. For example, sticking all those stealth and perception arts (SCS + MNO + DLF + CDE + HDE + AM) could be a very Jiao "invisible shadow seeking out all the secrets" kind of person. Personally not a huge fan, but it is a possibility.

So, what kind of ideas do people have here? Where would they like to aim?

We clearly must walk the path closest to Ling Qi's heart. The path that has truly defined her cultivation since the early days. I speak, of course, of the Path of Drugs.

We must only slot Dreaming Moon Rave Arts.

Anyway, Domains.

This is something we want to think about considering that we're going to be mastering FVM and FSS this month. What are we aiming for? What would good combinations of Domain slots be?

A problem here I think is that people get too often distracted by superficial elements like simplistic imagery or mechanical effects. The core of Domain development, however, it seems to me is as a character building exercise - and not in the mechanical sense. It is about forging one's Way. Piecing things together to form a life philosophy that governs how one sees the world, and how one approaches it.

For example, to understand Meizhen's Domain the best place to look is not in Qi's observations of her presence. The effects of her Domain are not irrelevant of course, but the most important place to look I think is her conversations with us about life philosophy.

Meizhen strongly believes in being feared. It's not about her having +10 to intimidate or whatever, it's that she believes that the best way to be a cultivator is to be an aristocratic icon of power and fear who no-one will dare challenge. It is her Way.

In many ways, I think that Domain slots being given quantified mechanical effects is kind of a distraction from what they're really about.

In addition, the strength of Domains is really important. They are not just "I think this Art taught me some valuable lessons" it's more "this Art speaks to me on a fundamental level and I want to live my life following these tenets". To make a medieval metaphor, mastering an Art is like reading the whole Bible, understanding it, and maybe taking some useful guidance from it. Slotting that Art is deciding to become a monk. Lots of arts can provide useful experience and skills without necessarily meaning we want to make them an integral part of our Way.

The question to ask ourselves is what kind of philosophy would we forge from different combinations of arts? What do we like? Where do we want to go? It's easy to look at individual arts and go "that's cool", but at the end of the day they have to come together as a coherent whole, and that requires us to actually think about the big picture.

For example, looking at FVM + FSS and our recent song fight, what I see is a kind of Existentialist philosophy? Everything ultimately Ends, and has no inherent meaning. However, the correct response is not to despair and give up, but to persevere and forge your own story anyway. It doesn't matter if it's going to end someday and have no greater meaning - what matters is that it's meaningful to you.

Building on that with, say, PLR + TRF + HDW then highlights what Ling Qi considers a fun meaningful life. Bringing friends together, supporting each other, and having fun. AM could highlight the importance of awareness of the Truth, and of knowing oneself in order to work out how to have a fulfilling life - as well as perhaps the importance of honest communication.

That's just one idea though, and there are lots of other possibilities that we should discuss. For example, sticking all those stealth and perception arts (SCS + MNO + DLF + CDE + HDE + AM) could be a very Jiao "invisible shadow seeking out all the secrets" kind of person. Personally not a huge fan, but it is a possibility.

So, what kind of ideas do people have here? Where would they like to aim?

I would like a duality between a warm fire for our friends (represented by arts like TRF or HDW), and a cold scary outside for our ennemies (FVM, SCS).

One possibility would be to create the perfect diplomat, understanding everyone (HDW, CDE, AM) and helping our allies, but I am not much of a fan of that one.

Back