Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Mmm, yeah.

If things are meaningful though then who is most likely to be watching? I'd say spirits.

Going for the ++spirit friends route could work very well for us.

[X] Aid the spirit, something about the prince set her on edge

On further reading of the abilities of both combattants, coupled with the weight that 'Instinct' gives, I'm inclined to side with the tree.

Because the Horned Prince's objective right now isn't to save his father, it's to kill the opponent here and then move on to join the greater fightball. This seems to be a general purge going on--and the statement that they're Oathbreakers has some weight to it. That's a very Significant thing to call someone, and given the context here--the Horned Prince strikes me as being on the aggressive side.

Look at his abilities, he's a nimble, dodgy, fighty son of a bitch who distinctly outclasses the Tree Spirit. There's nothing actually keeping him here to 'Join his Father'. Which suggests killing the Burning Tree is the objective in itself. He calls it a 'Mad Beast', but it's spoken to us and simply asking us to not get involved. That's not the activity of a creature that's out on a roaring rampage of revenge. That's the activity of a creature who's home is being invaded.

And Ling Qi's instincts... Aren't bad, she's got a good sense of when someone's trying to bullshit her--and the Lesson of the Mirror also makes it doubly hard to do this. The circumstances don't really add up here, and I'm inclined to trust her instincts here, when that's one of her best tools.

So. First off, the prince doesn't come across too well here on his own, calling the Ent a "mad beast" before that one just turns around and tells us "dont interfere, we have no trouble" which is entirely reasonable. Then there is the Oathbreaker tidbit, which, yeah. doesn't help. Then there is the fact that tree spirits are not really known to be aggressive by themselves and the forest surely didn't set itself on fire either, so really, this looks pretty damning. Screw the weilu guy, everybody knows never to piss of the Ents. lets go saruman on his ass.

Also, the tree spirit might be worth a visit once Zhengui awakes, if the fire thing is a...persistent element.

People keep saying Weilu. Remind me?
Weilu were one of the founding clans of the Empire. They were the original dukes of the Emerald Seas before they vanished without a trace millennia ago. Their culture remains though and is extremely persistent with the Counts of the Meng (to the west) and the Luo (to the East). The tomb we found in the outer sect was a Weilu tomb, and they apparently were powerful diviners, or at least their founder was.

There's several things to think about here I think.

There's the gameplaying element of what gives best shinies.

There's the characterisation element. What does the choice say about Ling Qi and what kind of behaviour does it promote?

Then we should also not ignore the perspective of others. I've spoken of spirits already, but we also shouldn't forget Shen Hu. He'll have opinions too and our behaviour here could affect how he views us too.

There's several things to think about here I think.

There's the gameplaying element of what gives best shinies.

There's the characterisation element. What does the choice say about Ling Qi and what kind of behaviour does it promote?

Then we should also not ignore the perspective of others. I've spoken of spirits already, but we also shouldn't forget Shen Hu. He'll have opinions too and our behaviour here could affect how he views us too.

He's all but conceded the choice to us in this case.

People keep saying Weilu. Remind me?
Previous ducal clan, horned humanoids, very cruel and capricious Fair Folk kind of guys going by what other people in-story were saying.

They were MOOON clan, and suddenly vanished into nothing for no particular reason one day. We hope to loot their ruins to boost ourself up, they have good loot for our moon cultivation.
It likewise doesn't help that Oathbreaker in question is someone... Who really unlikely to break any oaths by accident, or get into unfair "You break it by breathing" kind of oath - they are a Weilu Prince, which means they prolly knew what they were doing. And what they were doing probably wasn't cool.

We have no real confirmation that the Horned Prince has anything Moon based, but his father might.

If this doesn't pan out, at least we'll have learned whether or not to trust our instincts next time.

Also, Burning Ent has the same elements as Zhengui. Not saying it's THE reason to pick that side. But, maybe it'll be good luck? :p

Also, also, if we help Burning Ent kill the Prince guy, would we get to loot the body? He seems like he'd be carrying goodies... >.>

A hint here might be the moon? I mean, it is a crimson crescent which could either be the grinning or the bloody moon, but given that it is crimson I feel that it is more likely to be bloody. Given that the transition to killings done in the name of justice is a more recent aspect, I feel that the crimson moon might be an indicator that this dream is about bloody vengeance.

This also gives more credence to the Oathbreaker statement that the Elder Ent made.

I'm really surprised how everyone jumped on picking up CDE.

I'd expect to be far, far more discussion over which art to pick.

Ling Qi couldn't help but roll her eyes at his eagerness… this guy, he really would go in with nothing but his spirit beast and not a single scrap of information
Shounen protagonist vibes intensify. He's already got the vaguely interested heroine rolling her eyes good-naturedly at his straight forward antics.

A hint here might be the moon? I mean, it is a crimson crescent which could either be the grinning or the bloody moon, but given that it is crimson I feel that it is more likely to be bloody. Given that the transition to killings done in the name of justice is a more recent aspect, I feel that the crimson moon might be an indicator that this dream is about bloody vengeance.

This also gives more credence to the Oathbreaker statement that the Elder Ent made.

Good Fucking Catch

The Bloody Moon is overhead, and she's the goddess of vengeance and punishment.

And the Ent is calling the Horned Prince Oathbreakers, precisely the kind of things spirits of vengeance are invoked for.

Though I'd prefer something like
[] Aid the spirit, it was better to err on the side of the spirit

If this doesn't pan out, at least we'll have learned whether or not to trust our instincts next time.

Also, Burning Ent has the same elements as Zhengui. Not saying it's THE reason to pick that side. But, maybe it'll be good luck? :p

Also, also, if we help Burning Ent kill the Prince guy, would we get to loot the body? He seems like he'd be carrying goodies... >.>
With his statline the second the fight turns against him he's likely to bail.

So I'd temper down any expectations on that front. A speed and dodge heavy build like that is gonna have at least one bug out art.

Back