Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] Speak of Zeqing as a musician, and the way that your style and compositions changed from interacting with her. [More impersonal, easier to talk about. May offer some insights into music skills from introspection]

[X] Speak of Zeqing as a person, and the insights you gained from interacting with her. [More personal, may be difficult to articulate. More open, may prompt more personal responses in turn and unpack issues regarding Hanyi.]

Honestly, you know what I would like to see? Both. Maybe the option that doesn't get picked can get discussed another time, I dunno. Despite my vote, I agree that personal topics are likely better for a later date.

"The moon gave me sheet music after I threw a kid down a well and then I found a kid tried to murder me but I caught her in a game of tag and convinced her mom the sentient man eating blizzard to give me voice lessons. "
Yeah! Like, he's starting to realize that she's not actually a standoffish girl from common birth acting like a noble, but something far stranger.

I think it's funny, and allows for more personal reactions, that his background research into her has some rather fundamental errors.

[X] Speak of Zeqing as a person, and the insights you gained from interacting with her. [More personal, may be difficult to articulate. More open, may prompt more personal responses in turn and unpack issues regarding Hanyi.]

[X] Speak of Zeqing as a musician, and the way that your style and compositions changed from interacting with her. [More impersonal, easier to talk about. May offer some insights into music skills from introspection]

Ah I can't argue anything else that's good so im scrapin the barrel, perhaps he'll be more forthcoming with info on the Gnawing Ones if we yell em about Hanyi as a sign of trust?

Honestly, you know what I would like to see? Both. Maybe the option that doesn't get picked can get discussed another time, I dunno. Despite my vote, I agree that personal topics are likely better for a later date.
I agree with you, which is why I've voted for the more casual topic for the current date. I assume this isn't the last time we see him, since we have business arrangements with him anyway. If the date goes well, other opportunities should be there to talk about deeper topics. I think the benefit of simple socializing now will be good for LQ, and it's too early to talk about the deep stuff.

Found a better argument, we took the date for her to open up and this would be that we'd be having a conversation that the music won't offer he'll be genuinely interested and try to get to know us more and it's a topic I feel would be more enjoyable and natural

Ling Qi almost, almost blurted out a denial and a change of subject. "That sounds fine," she managed instead. "Did you have a place in mind"

It happened so fast that she could have imagined it, but she thought she saw Bao Qian do a double take. "Hrm, nothing ostentatious. Perhaps the Silver Orchid?"
Bao Qian: "When she says no that will perfectly position me to ask her to perform a small favor which I can then use to acclimate her to the idea of a business venture I have in mind which I can use to build trust which I can leverage to -"
Linq Qi: "That sounds fine."
Bao Qian: *Tire Screech*

Last edited:

[X] Speak of Zeqing as a person, and the insights you gained from interacting with her
[More personal, may be difficult to articulate. More open, may prompt more personal responses in turn and unpack issues regarding Hanyi.]

begging for help with Hanyi while a fish out of water is a precious opportunity

let us not waste it

Found a better argument, we took the date for her to open up and this would be that we'd be having a conversation that the music won't offer he'll be genuinely interested and try to get to know us more and it's a topic I feel would be more enjoyable and natural
You only open up so far on a first date. He's gotten a peek behind the curtain already. Can't let all of the crazy out at once. There will be other topics we can espouse on like our little sister.

Last edited:
[x] Speak of Zeqing as a musician, and the way that your style and compositions changed from interacting with her. [More impersonal, easier to talk about. May offer some insights into music skills from introspection]

You don't actually need to scramble for any argument you can think of for your preferred vote.

But what the hell, I'll argue this. He's already shown to be interested in music, and it's actually something that LQ holds close to her heart, so this isn't some binary choice of interested-uninterested hinging on how personal she gets in talking about Zeqing.

[X] Speak of Zeqing as a person, and the insights you gained from interacting with her
[More personal, may be difficult to articulate. More open, may prompt more personal responses in turn and unpack issues regarding Hanyi.]

He WILL be working with Hanyi at some point, and she is similar to her mother in some aspects.

Talking about Zeqing akso means talking about Hanyi, and I think this poor Bao guy deserves to know what is coming once he has to manage a bratty Yuki Onna child getting all 'diva' on him. Perhaps him knowing about Zeqing will help him handle Hanyi better in the future.

This chapter made me see that Ling Qi doesn't seem to have any substantial personal milestones.

She wants to get stronger, obtain the peak of cultivation and help her family but that is something majority of the people on this mountain seek. Cai's goal is just some ethereal thing that aligns with her efforts, not something that dominates her thoughts like it does Cai.

She doesn't want to fix her city of birth or create an institution that fosters homeless kids. Nor compose a masterpiece known across the nation, get revenge against the clan that blacklisted her mother or countless other dreams that I imagine young cultivators aspire towards.

I suppose she lacks these because she's already obtained that which she never thought she would have.

[x] Speak of Zeqing as a musician, and the way that your style and compositions changed from interacting with her. [More impersonal, easier to talk about. May offer some insights into music skills from introspection]

I think I narrowly prefer the other option, but I'm voting for this for a somewhat radical reason. Insight and introspection into music skills, in the context of reflecting on Zeqing, has the distant possibility of killing/transforming our flute use.

Like, I like the aesthetic of our fluting, but it's pretty obvious it hasn't been working for quite some time. Many of the more decisive moments in her battles of late describe Ling Qi singing, not playing the flute. There's a disconnect between the claims of the mechanics and what we see in the narrative, and it's clear that the reality is Zeqing and singing "won". There's little reason to hang onto the flute's style if it doesn't fit with our arts and combat activity; it strikes as a pretension rather than a core character feature.

For our flute itself, I don't think passing on it is a big deal. Narratively, our choice to keep it with us was largely a stand-in for themes and background connection that became redundant after we reconnected with Ling Qingge. In practical terms, refitting our flute to 'keep up' with us is going to be more expensive or weaker than getting a weapon talisman otherwise, and inherently interrupts the process of it developing a spirit. Putting it aside for leisure and performance will make it develop a spirit faster than trying to continue using it seriously as a talisman for battle.

Time's past for the flute and using instruments in battle, let's transform what we have into something more meaningfully thematic.

Last edited:
As i said, I'm voting for the more personal discussion because I'd really like some insight into Hanyi that we're not getting from anyone else.
So you want to drop LQ's concerns and worries about raising her adopted daughter sister on Bao Qian on their first date? That's going really heavy, really fast.

Jesus, y'all realize that any actual discussions about marriage—probably even relationships in general—are going to potentially be decades in the future, right? If I didn't know better, I'd say some here are thinking on the scale of "Las Vegas elopement," given how fast they're wanting to push things right now.

If write ins were allowed, I could maybe see a non-zero chance of "get married" being a vote with significant support popping up pretty quickly.

So you want to drop LQ's concerns and worries about raising her adopted daughter sister on Bao Qian on their first date? That's going really heavy, really fast.

Jesus, y'all realize that any actual discussions about marriage—probably even relationships in general—are going to potentially be decades in the future, right? If I didn't know better, I'd say some here are thinking on the scale of "Las Vegas elopement," given how fast they're wanting to push things right now.

If write ins were allowed, I could maybe see a non-zero chance of "get married" being a vote with significant support popping up pretty quickly.
*Coughs*
To be clear here Ling Qi is not going to blurt out deep insecurities here, its just talking about zeqing the person will necessarily involve talking about Hanyi, which might prompt introspection.

Back