Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I mean, to be fair, Sun Liling has not exactly wowed me with her subtlety and commitment to deniable ops. Take this, a month before we got sent on our retrieval mission in Cai territory near the Bai border:

A mistress of shadows, she is not.
Got the skills and connections. But not the temperament.

Unsurprising given that from what we've seen from her interludes her Cultivation method seems to benefit from big, in-your-face conflict. If she gets boosts from big dramatic punch-ups it makes sense she doesn't have much interest in trying to manage things and keep things on the down-low, she wants the situation on a perpetual boil.

So, since Hanyi is looking like she'll have some income from selling her songs, I'm wondering exactly what she'll be buying for herself. Will she be saving up her money for really fancy talisman type stuff, or will she be living paycheck to paycheck buying whatever catches her eye at the moment?

Given Hanyi's personality, I'm thinking she'll be buying whatever catches her eyes at the moment. But maybe she'll save up first for a spatial ring.

Given Hanyi's personality, I'm thinking she'll be buying whatever catches her eyes at the moment. But maybe she'll save up first for a spatial ring.

Not sure why, but the thought of Hanyi with disposable income is mildly terrifying for me.

*Thinks of how easy it would be to rip Hanyi off.*

*Thinks of Hanyi finding out she had been getting ripped off.*

*Thinks of Hanyi's eating habits.*

Ah. That's why.

I want to think most people wouldn't be that stupid, but that's only most.

Well, hopefully we'll be around when she buys stuff. Or our Mum. Bonding opportunities?

So, since Hanyi is looking like she'll have some income from selling her songs, I'm wondering exactly what she'll be buying for herself. Will she be saving up her money for really fancy talisman type stuff, or will she be living paycheck to paycheck buying whatever catches her eye at the moment?

She'll be showing off her money to Linhuo obviously.

Not sure why, but the thought of Hanyi with disposable income is mildly terrifying for me.

*Thinks of how easy it would be to rip Hanyi off.*

*Thinks of Hanyi finding out she had been getting ripped off.*

*Thinks of Hanyi's eating habits.*

Ah. That's why.

I want to think most people wouldn't be that stupid, but that's only most.

Well, hopefully we'll be around when she buys stuff. Or our Mum. Bonding opportunities?

I am pretty sure most people who would rip her off can dance the dance well enough to not get eaten, tbh. She may seem like the murderous ghost child trope, but she is genuinely still an innocent child compared to anyone with the same or even somewhat inferior cultivation base.

I am pretty sure most people who would rip her off can dance the dance well enough to not get eaten, tbh. She may seem like the murderous ghost child trope, but she is genuinely still an innocent child compared to anyone with the same or even somewhat inferior cultivation base.

I was sort of picturing anyone who is good at ripping people off would know ripping Hanyi off is a bad idea, as eventually she would shop somewhere else or speak to someone and find out she was ripped off so only an idiot would try it.

Or someone powerful enough not to worry of course. In which case hopefully it can be viewed as a learning opportunity for the girl and we won't owe too much if Hanyi herself does something stupid reminiscent of her interactions with Thunder Music Girl.

Not that I'm too concerned about that though. Worst case scenario we could claim her allowance as punishment :p

We did promise to crush anyone who bullied her. So someone ripping her off would be a serious thing, even if it didn't end with her eating the person.

We did promise to crush anyone who bullied her. So someone ripping her off would be a serious thing, even if it didn't end with her eating the person.
Remember those debt collectors harassing Ling Qinge?
Trying to rip of the family of the ducal heirs left hand does not seem like a smart business decision.

That said, we should accompany Hanyi on her shopping trips as much as possible.

This to me sounds like Meizhen is the last obstacle keeping Suzhen from reaching for White. Maybe she needs a strong heir as part of her path and Meizhen is shaping up for that. Cai Shenhua also hinted on an budding alliance between the Cai, Bai and Zheng of the Ebon Rivers province, so could these parents Hou Zhuang speak of be Bai Suzhen marrying that Zheng Po that was at the tournament? Because those two were ribbing each other like an old married couple already, family feud or no.

And Meizhen is absolutely the best person in the story to run a spy network! Especially in the Thousand Lakes province that we know is fright with discontent because of the Bai's tyranny. She's played games of intrigue her whole life, both with the Bai and in the sect. Her finding her new personal ideology only makes her better for the role since she'd likely be the first truly diplomatic White Serpent Bai in ...history. Scouring enemies and building ties with allies using her mothers legacy is about as perfect for Meizhen's path as I can imagine.
Pretty sure she's saying that Meizhen's performance in both strength and politics (humiliating Liling and paving a path for alliance) has removed the political barriers that prevented Suzhen from adopting Meizhen/taking her in fully rather than having a couple of very short visits to try and make up for Zhuang's terrible, broken parenting.

Remember that the Bai are unpleasant about weakness, and would look down on Mellin for having the gall to get plausibly framed for murder and forcing their clan to display weakness in submitting to demands to execute her.

Xian xia face culture. Not even once.

Xian xia face culture. Not even once.

I do not think any factions in this story have the shallow thing that is xianxia face culture.

Sure, a more realistic version of actual face culture (which is a similar but distinct thing :p ) does exist in prevalence in universe. But the Bai's are more... well... a den of cultivation Darwinistic snakes* rather than a result of face culture

*was gonna say social Darwinistic snakes, but when a person can be stronger than a state genuinely, the viability of that theory does change a bit.

I figure Hanyi would probably go for accessories first.
While Ling Qi doesn't particularly acknowledge that non-talisman clothes exist, Hanyi does :p

Would be interesting to see what exactly Hanyi would do with the funds.

Maybe she's actually planning to buy birds to practice her future evolution into a disney princess?

Ling Qi skipped across the roiling ground, trailing a train of flickering images, ephemeral and dreamlike in her wake. All around her phantoms in dark and refined garb circled and danced in the mist to an eerie melody.
Oh hey, they're dressed now, when did that happen?
As she mulled over calling an early halt to the exercise, her eyes widened. Something had changed. The flow of Zhengui's qi had shifted, and the heat of his body was growing. It shrank and condensed in a way that she had only felt during his practice of the rebirth inferno. She needed to stop him now, that was going way too…

"Give him a second, it's not quite the same," Sixiang cut her off.

She shut her mouth with a click. Sixiang was right, it wasn't exactly the same. She had promised to help him, stopping him from developing a new technique would hardly help that. She felt the heat condense again. It felt like a white hot sphere, a miniature sun churning with impossible heat. Then as Zhen glared with affronted dignity at Hanyi past the frost crawling across his scales, the sphere of heat dropped, passing seamlessly into the earth.

Beneath her feet, Ling Qi felt stone boil. Instantly, shimmering green qi shrouded her and Hanyi both, just before the earth exploded. All around Zhengui, plumes of molten rock erupted in an expanding ring, pockets of boiling stone erupting upward under sudden and intense pressure.A wave of molten stone washed over Hanyi, and she yelped as her dream images shattered, and molten rock slid off of the verdant light that armored her.
I could swear I saw this attack before in SRW...can't remember which unit though.

The hill rocked with explosions and noise, but Ling Qi's voice cut through the sound like the howl of a blizzard. "Zhen, stop."

The young serpent startled as she materialized atop his other half's shell. Where her hand met his burning scales the air hissed and steamed, adding to the mist. "Big Sister, why…"

"Look around you," she said dryly, and he did. The hill was positively ruined, for nearly two hundred meters all around, cooling magma lay burning on the ground. It had escaped beyond the protections the sect had lain down and even now she saw several fires smoldering in the underbrush. "Best not to set the forest on fire, I think."
Guess we'd need a higher rated training ground next. Or a bigger one. Two hundred meters isn't very big for a Green training ground is it?

Also I'd hate to see what that could do to targets in a confined space.
"Ugh, reckless Zhen should warn Gui," his other half complained. "Don't do weird things by yourself!"

Below Hanyi vanished in a flurry of snowflakes, reappearing on one of the remaining islands of intact soil. "Be more careful," the snow maiden grumbled, eyeing the cooling droplets of molten stone still clinging to the hems of her gown..

Zhen lowered his head, looking a little shamed. "Zhen apologizes to Big Sister, I just wanted to win."

"That's fine, you just need to be a little more careful," Ling Qi encouraged. "Congratulations on figuring out a new technique!"
Zhen: "I'm feeling attacked, everyone is complaining! Only MotherSister is praising me!"
"It was pretty cool," Hanyi huffed. "Dummy."
"And Hanyi."

Hanyi: [Tsuns]
May reduce his size by up to two thirds and remain combat capable. All damage dealing techniques scaled down while reduced in size. (Max one rank at full reduction)
Say, how small can he get if he disregards combat capability?
Certainly he'd fit better in caves with this.
Paradise Forge: B
Instant:
Damage: B
Channels fire into the earth, awakening the latent volcanism in the memory of stone. The powerful flame qi pressurizes the molten stone forming beneath the surface until it explodes upward in a rolling ring of eruptions. Upon activation, enemies within close range of Zhengui are targeted, on Zhengui's next action enemies between Close and Far range are targeted. This technique has a significant bonus to hit and and penetration against any target in contact with the ground.
That is one hell of an AoE attack.
Hmm...
Paradise Bedrock: C
Duration: Short
Damage: E
A technique representing Zhengui's mastery of the generation and manipulation of root systems. Within a close range, Zhengui may choose to either trap or attack any enemy within his range each time he has an action. The roots immobilize their target with strength equal to Zhengui's own, or deal the above listed damage.

Paradise Rampart: B
Duration: Persistent
Zhengui taps into the vital, endless regrowth at the core of his being, and channels it into protecting a person or place of his choosing. On activation a wall of roots and boughs ten meters high and two thick sprouts from the earth between his enemies and the target Zhengui wishes to protect. The walls base length is one hundred meters. Sections of the wall have Armor D and Health B for the purpose of breaking through. Enemies attempting to climb or otherwise pass over the wall have their speed reduced by half a rank, unless their cultivation exceeds Zhengui's by two stages or one realm. Enemies adjacent to the wall suffer automatic attacks equivalent to Paradise Bedrock usage. Zhengui may extend the rampart 100 meters at the cost of increasing the cost by 10 for each segment.

Roiling Forest Regrowth: B
Duration: Short
A technique arising from Zhengui's frustration at foes avoiding him to strike at Ling Qi. Zhengui throws a huge quantity of Qi into the earth beneath his feet, until grasping twining roots are erupting from every inch of earth within Close Range. These roots twine together to form walls, grab at limbs and otherwise make themselves impossible to ignore. Enemies striking at targets other than Zhengui have their speed, combat perception, Physical Hit and Penetration penalized. Effects with multiple targets are not penalized if they include at least half of the affected area in their range. While these roots can be destroyed so long as the technique is active they regrow too quickly for this to be effective.
Bind -> Blast.
Force them in contact with the ground, blast them with the primary detonation, let the knockback toss them into the secondary detonation and fry them again.

Might be dangerous to use in caves, seems likely to cause a cave in, or for the volumetric fireball effect to happen.
Volcanic Shot: B
Damage: B(Direct Hit) D (Splash)
Gathering stone and soil in his stomch, Zhengui melts the energies into molten stone and glass before ejecting it as a missile as a distant foe. Zhengui cannot move while using this technique, but may target any enemy at up to distant range. However for each increment further than Far Hit is reduced by 10. Enemies within Near distance of the primary target suffer from the splash version of the techniques damage.
Great range for anti-air work too.
He's respeciably accurate with it too now.
"Sis, when are we gonna do some exercises where I can show off?" Hanyi complained as they sat down for a rest in the aftermath of the clean up. Zhengui took up much of the hilltop, and Ling Qi and hanyi sat on either side of him on flattened stones.

"Sorry Hanyi, it's a little hard to think of a group exercise for your techniques. I promise we'll go out together later," Ling Qi replied.

She had elected to work with Hanyi on something they had neglected. The effects they were working on, her ability to draw on others with a siren song and drain the life and energy from them were fundamental to her nature, but Ling Qi had trouble helping her with them. She had never learned the Lonely Winter Maiden art from Zeqing.

She had been taking hanyi on trips up to the mountain peaks to practice though and it was paying off. Hanyi's voice and song were more confident and potent, able to ensnare more enemies, more efficiently, and her lethality had risen in accordance. That was what made it hard to train in a group. Like Zhen's new technique, Hanyi's techniques were quite lethal to their targets.
That would seem an inevitable result of cultivating powerful attacks. Is it more that they can't "pull" their blows? Or do normal spars have defense outclassing attacks?

Certainly Hanyi could practice on Zhengui, but her repeatedly failing from that wouldn't help her mood much.
"Mm, actually, you want to come to our little dance lessons snowflake? You might not be able to step into Dream like your Sis and I, but I think you'd benefit from a little grace," Sixiang said on the wind.

'Is that fine?' Ling Qi thought silently.

"Yeah, girl's feeling a little left out since her lessons are solo, I can share," Sixiang silently replied with a mental shrug.
How is the youngest of the group, the one made of elemental trickery, the most mature of the group?!
"I'm not clumsy," Hanyi snapped, unaware of the exchange. "I can move around just fine!"

"Ah well, if you think you can't handle it," Sixiang trailed off, their voice echoing from the empty air.

Ling Qi sighed. She really was going to have to work with Hanyi on that too, she was way too easy to manipulate.
She's just hot blooded.
Odd for a being of elemental snow, but hey.
"Zhengui, Hanyi, we're going to have a visitor today," Ling Qi explained calmly, having let them get the bickering out of their systems. "Obviously, I'm going to need you both to behave."

"Huh? Who did Big Sis invite. Is the bright lady coming again?" Gui asked curiously.

"Not this time," Ling Qi denied. Cai Renxiang had been sparring with her more often, which included her spirits at times. She was able to press the heiress a lot more effectively with the extra combatants.
Kind of doubt Hanyi would do much to Renxiang, since she's very nearly hard countered, but Zhengui would be a novelty for her to blitz down, even if his options against a flyer are limited.
"I've invited Bao Qian, do you remember him?"

"I Zhen, recall the shiny man," Zhen replied proudly. "He wanted to buy Zhen's ash, so that Big Sister could get more cultivation stones."

"That's the one," Ling Qi replied, smiling. "We're going to be talking about some business like that today."

"Ah, Gui will be good then, so that Big Sister can have more stones!" Gui agreed cheerfully.

"You don't have to do this you know. I am getting by fine regardless," Ling Qi said. Even if her stock of Green Stones was steadily dwindling.

"No, Big Sis will let Zhengui help," they both replied stubbornly, their voices emerging as one.

"You've got some odd hang ups. Just let the Lil' Big Guy help," Sixiang chided.
Its funny how you have to PRY every inch of letting you help her out of Ling Qi. She doesn't look it but she has a Young Mistress's pride in that particular angle.

It goes beyond her spirits, she's reluctant when its them, but while she accepts payment, she doesn't take gifts without a big disparity, while being generous with HER gifts in turn.
Ling Qi sighed and nodded her assent before glancing at Hanyi, who had been oddly silent. "Hanyi, something on your mind?"

"Sis, that guy, he said he could sell your songs too, right?" Hanyi asked. "I saw you using that stone thingy to record."

"Yes," Ling Qi said slowly. "I wasn't selling that though."

"Well I wanna sell some songs! That way I can have stones myself, and buy pretty dresses and jewelry without having to get them from Big Sis," Hanyi said in a rush, leaning forward.

Ling Qi blinked and immediately felt a pang of guilt. "Hanyi, we can go shopping sometime if you like, it's just been very busy lately."

"But I wanna get my own stuff, you worry about enough things," Hanyi huffed. "C'mon, will you please talk to the guy?"
And here too. I think the pocket money is an excuse here, Hanyi wants not to be a burden, but doing without is also difficult for what is basically the pampered young daughter of Zeqing.

So she wants to help. Pretty dresses, accessories, and her own talismans, because she knows Ling Qi can't really keep them up to date on good talismans.
It all seemed so small at this height. Hou Zhuang peered out the window of their vessel at the cloud scape below, and the flashes of green and blue beneath. From this altitude all seemed at peace. Truly, the world had many lessons yet to teach in deception.
Keep this in mind with the rest of the interlude.
The peace on the surface is a facade concealing storms of violence beneath.
"Are you truly satisfied, Hou Zhuang?" Bai Suzhen's attention was an executioner's blade pressed against his throat, a blade fit to crack mountains and sunder seas. He blinked tiredly as her words cut through the pressure that had been upon him since their vessel had reached the cloud line. He looked back down at his hands, trembling involuntarily from the pressure. It was too bad that there was not enough left of him to feel the same fear in his mind.
...overlooked this the first time, but he's tanking the unrestrained(though not truly exerted) terror domain of a Prism without influencing his judgement. While looking like he's completely fucked.

Something's going on pretty strongly to be able to no sell that.
Look underneath
He bowed his head and spread his trembling hands. "I am an open book, am I not, honored cousin?" There were no secrets he could hide from a seventh realm cultivator who wished to look. He knew what she spoke of, and in his mind's eye, he saw his daughters eyes; dismissive, contemptuous, apathetic. Yes, she had grown up well. He was proud of her maturity, those were the eyes, so like her mother's that he deserved.

"You shame Meilin," Bai Suzhen said harshly. Hou Zhuang winced at the feeling of wetness on his cheek, where the words had cut him. A spark of anger flared in his empty heart, but such sparks could not be maintained without fuel. It faded.
You can also see he doesn't lack emotion, like someone who severed them on cultivation would. The emotion doesn't LAST, but its there.
Serving was what he was. Like the sword immortals, raised to kill, he had been raised to hide and to see.
And a natural conclusion for cultivation: Cultivation in the Sect is extremely individualistic, but with the power disparity I don't think it'd be too difficult for a strong cultivator to coerce a target into a Way via raw indoctrination would it?

Get them to sever everything short of being a tool, it'd cut short their path, but they'd be most excellent and devoted.
Not something to mass produce, but excellent for deep cover agents and personal guards for your close kin that must be beyond reproach and without ambition.
He was an important tool for his clans rise, or so he had thought. How utterly absurd it had been for his half brother to fear his cultivation. He could not want power in that way, even then there was no part of him which could have had such ambitions. Then again perhaps that was incomprehensible to one raised to rule. He supposed that it was good that the clan had elected to marry him off rather than disposing of him.
Could not, and could not develop the desire to.
Severed qualities or masked too deep to feel ones?

Certainly one on the Way of authority would have trouble understanding OR trusting someone with no desire for it.
The Bai were cruel and unkind to outsiders, but he had not minded at first. His marriage had been brief in the time spans of cultivators, merely a few decades. There had been no passion between Bai Meilin and Hou Zhuang, no grand romance. Yet she had been a friend, his partner, in her way, far more than the family which had sold him. Her death had severed something, and although it had allowed him to step into the fifth realm, he was truly unworthy of their daughter.

A more worthless Father than this old man would be more difficult to find.
No passion he says, but her death triggered him to breakthrough.
He felt it.
Bai Suzhen regarded him with the eyes of a serpent staring down at a particularly scrawny rodent. "So be it. I am proud of my niece. I will do what you cannot. Her performance severs the last barriers in the path. I suppose your fecklessness serves some purpose at least."
Last barriers?
Don't know enough about the Bai politics to make head or tail of this, but its sounding a bit like Meilin's death might have been an internal Bai plot for them to take revenge on?
Hou Zhuang smiled wanly. It would not be too long before his daughter had proper parents again. "Meilin's network will remain at your disposal. I will not allow her inheritance to rot on the vine," and then with their work passed on, he could rest.
Personal guess, as I said previously, is that he's under a false persona effect of some kind to prepare for a longer scheme, his internal narrative has a lot of oddities, and it'd help keep him beneath Bai notice, save for Suzhen who'd have a shared motivation.
"What are your thoughts on the events of the tournament?" Bai Suzhen asked, her clipped tone brooking no disagreement on the change of subject.

"Your timing in bringing out the proposed alliance with Cai Shenhua was masterstroke," Hou Zhuang replied honestly. "It will be worth the double agents burned to keep the matter secret. Emerald Seas maintains a strong resource economy, but their ability to leverage it remains limited, the benefits to the alliance are obvious."
Well that explains how the news surprised everyone despite involving so many parties that it SHOULD have leaked. Double agents feeding false information to get burned.

Who had to know they're being burned there.

"The trouble remains our domestic situation," Hou Zhuang replied, not missing a beat. "Cai Shenhua has her own troubles with unruly vassals not wholly brought to heel, but many of your brothers, sisters and cousins will be incensed as well. There is already much correspondence flying about."

"Mm, I assume Anxi is making noise again," Bai Suzhen said, her attention on him finally growing lighter as she looked to the side in thought, the ornaments in her hair jingling softly. "The conservatives will not countenance him, two male clan heads in sequence is already causing many to grumble, three would be beyond the pale. No matter his policies."

"I believe he is throwing his weight behind Bai Zhilan," Hou Zhuang replied, absently reaching up to wipe the blood from his cheek. "She has a great deal of support from the Red and Green lines as the General of Zhengjian."
...just how badly did they piss the factions off if what sounds like normally rival factions are uniting?
Also is it just me or does it sound a lot like the Bai's own internal intrigue is preventing them from getting Whites? Every time someone rises up the rival factions unify and drag them down.
Bai Suzhen's lips twitched down in distaste. "I see. My planned expansions to our port and naval capacity should bring the Violet lines to my side, the Blues as well, with the infrastructure expansions and repairs of the interior. Place your agents among the lesser lines and begin pushing the alliance. I will see to my brothers and sisters."

"As you say, honored cousin," Hou Zhuang said with a tired sigh. "You should know that the discontent is not wholly manufactured by your sisters. Old organizations are beginning to move among the other castes."

Bai Suzhen frowned. "I am aware of those. We allow the lesser bloodlines their outlets so long as they only grumble. Should they act, we will crush them as we have done many times before. It would be unfortunate to waste so many Bai lives at this time however. Make certain that they do not move beyond grumbling."
That is far, far too close a match.
The Whites are divided, which means the Blacks are too. The Violets and Blues are with Suzhen out of practical reasons, but the Reds and Greens are behind Zhilan, and thats the worst case for an internal dispute: a split almost perfectly down the middle would cause the most damage before it can resolve.
Saying it like that made it sound so easy. As if the growing rumbling from the commoner castes was not growing worse with each passing day. Meilin had been so much better at this, her understanding of the psychology of the Bai peoples much more visceral than his. It would be difficult to quell the spread of further xenophobic sentiment, particularly as the more conservative white serpents worked to fan the flames.
And the commoners are looking fit to have a popular revolt while the noble clans are stabbing each other.
He had not remained behind, doing this work just to falter as the end approached. His daughter was coming into her own, and Bai Suzhen would soon take her own final steps. He only needed to work for a little longer yet. A worthless Father this old man was, but he would at least make sure that Bai Meilin's work remained ready for her daughter.
Death or unmasking awaits.

If you are cultivating Self-Effacing Self-Depricating Never-Good-Enough-ness and you are kept from total despair and dying by having a dominant matriarch consistently reaffirm that you have some good and have some value and have some merit, it makes sense that he would advance from her death. He was literally not good enough to save her, and that reinforces his Way of being never-enough for his family or those who rely on him.

SadDad is cultivating Self-deprecating Self-effacing tragedy of never being good enough. But clearly he has much power. What does that look like on offense?
"I'm so terrible awful weak pitiful rabbit in a snake den"
"Haha, yeah!"
"can you imagine being a snake slain by the hare that somehow snuck in?"
"No! You're like, just uh. A uh."
"Terrible dumb bunny I know. I'm awful. And yet somehow, I have a better spy network than you. Can you believe you're actually worse than me?"

and then they selfdestruct, potentially taking him with them but he has no value on his own life and doesn't mind the blade at the throat so much as the weight of trying to talk despite it. He's the perfect plausibly deniable asset for a White caste conservative because Bai-supremacists wouldn't be able to understand his completely obtuse path to power. His way is at total odds with the region's typical culture, and that's why it's so powerful (and more broadly why diversity strengthens organizations). Of course, it also requires failure and loss for him to push further and he'll be perpetually SadDad but it's a very interesting route.

Like. White (and other Bai) are cultivating a Fear and Terror path and this dude probably has A-S rank resist to that specific social stuff because he already embraces fear and imminent death and feeling like he deserves derision. He's a perfect social outsider for working in this region, like. If your whole region's aristocracy is built on Fear and being the most Fearsome you'll eventually spark repeated revolts and terror-infighting until you reach an untenable place of fractioning and population leak. Thousand Lakes still has sustainable pop for now, but if there's a revolt and a civil war and an invasion from the jungle they could very well end up terminal like Sparta given their selective breeding habits. Whoever in the Bai arranged for him to come in was a stellar matchmaker because this dude is a real MVP.

From that matchmaking, Meizhen is going to be in a perfect position to be the admin/heir that leverages the networks of spies, informants and common folk/castes while still being an extraordinary traditional White Caste Paragon. Terror, but instead of pure Terror and Fear there is a greater purpose and she seeks to nurture those that are worthy. Not protect the frail no, but to honor those that serve purpose and recognize them beyond faceless masses that need cowing. I mean. They'll still be faceless masses, but like. A nice kind. The kind that farms food and makes sure there's enough population to keep allowing cultivators to be the warrior-scholars that protect them in this deathworld

@yrsillar , feel free to not answer if my question peers too much behind the screen or breaks the magic or anything, but I wanted to ask this for a while and I can hold back no longer. Did people's heroic and/or villainous qualities get exacerbated and/or toned down based on who we teamed up with? For example, had we teamed with Sun Liling over Bai Meizhen, would Meizhen's worst qualities get stronger and her best weaker, making her pretty much a terrifying evil Bai, while Liling's good qualities got stronger, making her pretty much a female Goku? Would Cai Rexiang be more lawful evil had we turned her down with full strength and Kang Zihao genuinely honourable? Would Ji Rong be more heroic in going after people who abuse their power out of ideology and Li Suyin the nerd that snapped?

Obviously, this is only about the characters that weren't introduced as heroes or villains later on, but... I find it strange that we mostly chose to buddy up with the good-ish guys when things were not crystal clear yet.

Well, we know for a fact that Ling Qi influenced Meizhen - she would not be as nice if she hadn't had a friend to show her that she could trust others.

@yrsillar , feel free to not answer if my question peers too much behind the screen or breaks the magic or anything, but I wanted to ask this for a while and I can hold back no longer. Did people's heroic and/or villainous qualities get exacerbated and/or toned down based on who we teamed up with? For example, had we teamed with Sun Liling over Bai Meizhen, would Meizhen's worst qualities get stronger and her best weaker, making her pretty much a terrifying evil Bai, while Liling's good qualities got stronger, making her pretty much a female Goku? Would Cai Rexiang be more lawful evil had we turned her down with full strength and Kang Zihao genuinely honourable? Would Ji Rong be more heroic in going after people who abuse their power out of ideology and Li Suyin the nerd that snapped?

Obviously, this is only about the characters that weren't introduced as heroes or villains later on, but... I find it strange that we mostly chose to buddy up with the good-ish guys when things were not crystal clear yet.
Meizhen's best qualities were the ones Ling Qi introduced to her. And Liling's bad qualities aren't even close to Meizhen's worst ones while her goodness has been largely overlooked. The Sun interlude during the tournament where she meet her grandfather also showed her as kind of sweet for all her brutish showmanship and she might even have warned us of the bandits raiding the Cai/Bai border.

Last edited:
But... a lot of our friends are assholes. Meizhen is, like, actually evil, and just happens to be our friend. Xiulan is, uh, kind of a bitch who again just happens to be nice to us.

Renxiang otoh is genuinely a good person, and is the hero we need. It's also not a coincidence that we chose to buddy up with her, since we did so *because she's good*. Similarly, we got to know Han Jian because he was a nice guy.

But... a lot of our friends are assholes. Meizhen is, like, actually evil, and just happens to be our friend. Xiulan is, uh, kind of a bitch who again just happens to be nice to us.

To be honest... not really. Meizhen culturally overattacks threats, but she doesn't actually like being vicious, she does it more out of habit. She has also never directed that to an innocent. Plus, she appears to be naturally kind to nonenemies when she can get away with it.

Xiulan was a bitch at first, but I do not think that descriptor applies to her after the shoch induced character development of seeing how high the heavens are.

Sure, they aren't paragons of morality (thus the ish in goodish) but they are not the kind of people I would call villains. Contrast Sun Liling using commoners like pawns and going full on law of the jungle regardless of who that may hurt, Zihao being willing to murder if he can get away with it, etc. and you see that the villains are a lot more proactive about hurting others, while the eviler friends of Ling Qi are a lot more... well... "if you do not hurt me or try to court me while being unworthy, I won't hurt you"

Back