Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] Plan: Knowing is half the battle
-[X] 2 War

Gan and Su Ling make for the best battle buddies. I hope we get to see more of them!

[X]Plan: Painting with Sixiang

It isn't the optimal choice, but after the rest of this arc i like the idea of doing some art to decompress. Art can be good vs ptsd ya know

[X] Plan: Pokemon

Spirit ken gets it to cap with 100%, war for the last useful skill we're seriously lagging behind (that we aren't already training) at a not-too-bad efficiency penalty of 1xp.

Since approval vote is a thing, my plan is losing and I really want to train War... I'll consolidate

[X] Plan: Knowing is half the battle
-[X] 2 War

"Of course I am. You are a courageous and virtuous woman, I would be most pleased to have you on my side," the cheeky fucker grinned at her.

Su Ling tilted her head, letting her long hair cover the dusting of color that rose on her cheeks. Stupid instincts. "Whatever, not interested in playing soldier."

"As you wish Miss Su," he said, falling silent.
NOBODY CAN FUCKING RESIST THE HAM

GG SUPPORT GO!!!!!

Alright, so on a completely different note, PLR has been kind of awkward since forever. We were complaining about it (again) on Discord last night, and I was thinking about how it fits into our overall strategy. The problem, I feel, is that it either wants to be replacing FVM or FSS in our overall combat strategy, and historically it just hasn't really been good enough. It's taken a while to really get up to being useful, and because we had better options we've continually put it on the backburner. Trying to do FVM + PLR + FSS just gets kind of messy and confused, and we run out of actions.

My feeling is, however, that we can use different combinations of them in different situations. FVM is ideal in larger engagements where there are enough people for the mass debuffs to really shine, and low level opponents for us to shut down and bully. PLR I suggest works better in the smaller scale engagements where FVM falls off in effectiveness. With its new perfect dodge charges, and lockdown abilities, it is potentially really strong where there are a smaller number of dangerous enemies we need to defend against and manage. FSS ofc makes things dead, and this is often ideal.

Laying out the general scenarios:
  • Duel: PLR + FSS
    • with only one (or two) enemies, FVM really doesn't have enough targets to work well - though admittedly the darkness can maybe be a useful buff. PLR is likely stronger defensively though, and LW can potentially be a very useful tool. Use PLR as our field effect, and then move to the killin'
  • Small scale group combat with limited friends: PLR + FSS or FVM + PLR depending on how many friends we have
    • This continues in small scale group content where it is still, perhaps, unclear how useful FVM is. In these situations, we are likely to be fighting multiple strong opponents, and LW's CC is likely to be much more useful than FVM. Whether or not we should be using FSS or FVM on top of PLR, however, depends on how many friends we have. Broadly, if we only have like one friend or so, then the marginal value of our DPS contribution is probably relatively high, and we want to kill things. However, if we have a good number of friends - imagine, for example, taht we had Xiulan, Renxiang, and Meizhen with us - then the marginal value of our DPS might be significantly lower, it it may be better for us to focus fully on support (thus PLR + FVM).
  • Large scale combat: FVM + FSS
    • In larger scale fights, where we're wanting to control small armies with our awesomeness, FVM is obviously ideal. Most of the time, I think, we'd probably want to be using FSS for it's rad aoe to start cutting the enemy numbers down. That being said, there may be the odd situation where, for example, our allies have the dps covered and it's better for us to focus on trying to CC enemy officers, so PLR shouldn't be entirely ruled out.
That being said, whenever we have time to really set up beforehand, it's hard to say we shouldn't bring up FVM all the way.

That's my thoughts on our current setup anyway. PLR ofc really needs more training, and this balance will all be messed with once we get BKSD and UGM online, but it may provide a useful roadmap for thinking about how we want to approach things?
The big problem, I feel, is we're talking about a high quality spirit party art, received from partying with spirits, and the only parameter of its function you can point to is combat. This shouldn't be the case based on its origin, themes, or quality. Other high quality arts tend to give us a bit more flexibility like that, you know? SCS defines in large parts who Ling Qi interacts with the world. FSS isn't even traditionally "high quality" but it flavors her appearance, Domain, and manifestation of several of her other arts. FVM's significant passive bonuses are largely obsolete or soft retconned at this point in our development, but at the time they added narratively important bridges to Ling Qi's interaction with the world.

PLR does not help Ling Qi party. It does not help Ling Qi interact with spirits. And it doesn't have the broad utility in a way that can actually present itself in the story cleanly. It has a myriad of small bonuses to niche combat situations, and invisibly small skill/poise passives. The former especially invisible because Ling Qi isn't shown making Dance, Art, or Music challenges, and if she does do a Music challenge PLR doesn't rate mention as a factor. It just needs... stuff.

Like, an obvious one is the art should natively possess a passive basic attack option based on Lunatic Whirl using Dance as the mastery. Ling Qi should be able to personally grapple people with Dance and drain their qi. Not as a tech, but just as an expression of the Revel. Whatever else it should be able to do passively or out of combat depends exactly on what @yrsillar intends for the art to be, which I'm not totally clear on.

In combat terms, the fact that it's a party but on-paper IPF only benefits Ling Qi is kind of weird. I assume her spirits also benefit because thematically it'd be insane for them to not, but that also isn't actually stated in the tech text. The art is strangely lonely in its technical execution for something based on a party, is all I'm saying. The art's weird enough to justify Dreaming moon popping out of the woodwork and going "Psyche, you don't have the real version of the art because of mental blocks, here's a tribulation for v1.0! Also Sixiang flex arc. Have fun.~"

I do want to see more of Su Ling and GG interacting now. Mayhaps we can invite them both to tea at our house, start getting our family used to hosting green realm cultivators?

I mean, we need to do that anyway, eventually, I just think that we should think of a reason for Ling Qi to invite Su Ling and GG at the same time.

PLR does not help Ling Qi party. It does not help Ling Qi interact with spirits. And it doesn't have the broad utility in a way that can actually present itself in the story cleanly. It has a myriad of small bonuses to niche combat situations, and invisibly small skill/poise passives. The former especially invisible because Ling Qi isn't shown making Dance, Art, or Music challenges, and if she does do a Music challenge PLR doesn't rate mention as a factor. It just needs... stuff.
Yeah, I'm hoping that now we have both PLR and PMR we could do some moon spirit tower stuff to really up our Moon Maiden style points and themes.

In combat terms, the fact that it's a party but on-paper IPF only benefits Ling Qi is kind of weird. I assume her spirits also benefit because thematically it'd be insane for them to not, but that also isn't actually stated in the tech text. The art is strangely lonely in its technical execution for something based on a party, is all I'm saying. The art's weird enough to justify Dreaming moon popping out of the woodwork and going "Psyche, you don't have the real version of the art because of mental blocks, here's a tribulation for v1.0! Also Sixiang flex arc. Have fun.~"
Mmm, I would argue that it would make sense for Hanyi to benefit, but not really Zhengui because he can't really blend into the party very well. I don't think anyone is going to lose track of him in a hurry :p

Last edited:
So, do we get to know were Su Ling and GG are on their cultivation?

Last edited:
So, do we get to know were Su Ling and GG are on their cultivation?
We have some good details.

Xiao Fen narrowed her eyes as she fell back into a low guard, her shoulders bobbing back and forth like a serpent looking for an opening to bite. "Gan Guangli is maintaining his grip. He has reached appraisal stage,"

Her 'student' looked briefly rebellious before relaxing her stance. "...He has found a spirit. It's exact nature is hidden, but it seems the immaterial type. I suspect the details will be in the missive for your liege. As to the rest… The spirit kin you showed an interest in broke through. A number of Lu Feng's subordinates sought to break into her workshop, and found themselves facing an irate partial third realm. That one has a satisfactory attitude toward enemies," Xiao Fen said with a touch of approval.

So we can see that a couple of months ago Su Ling broke through partially and GG reached Appraisal. I believe that Yrs later clarified that Su Ling broke through to the Green Realm but is still Silver in physical cultivation.

Back