The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

Current Catch-up Progress: 15%
(People are currently discussing plans for the day of the duel; and still arguing about Hummingbird Dance vs BSA, which is driving me nuts.)

An above satisfactory adventure so far.
I am enjoying the characters and the setting. Unsure about the mechanics. (And it appears that Vesvius might have been a bit unsure at the time too. :p )
Kong Zhi is amusingly clueless about things. Surely you people could have started him out with a bit more people skills? XD
I would have done a few of the decisions differently, but it likely wouldn't have made much difference.
I've been skimming every post to get the general idea of why people voted for what, but there is so much arguing that is based on not understanding the mechanics. Sure Someone didn't do a very good job of explaining things, but still...
That Someone also appears to have been a bit cruel in the early stage, by not giving out enough action points for any serious experimentation of the numerous options presented. I'm curious as to if that was intended.
I like the Jai twins so far. I get the impression that Jai Fa is enjoying having Kong Zhi around, as it appears that she has had to be dragged around by her brother much of her life. Now she gets to drag Kong Zhi around.
Nokai, I suspect, is far more complex than she appears.

Current Catch-up Progress: 15%
(People are currently discussing plans for the day of the duel; and still arguing about Hummingbird Dance vs BSA, which is driving me nuts.)

An above satisfactory adventure so far.
I am enjoying the characters and the setting. Unsure about the mechanics. (And it appears that Vesvius might have been a bit unsure at the time too. :p )
Kong Zhi is amusingly clueless about things. Surely you people could have started him out with a bit more people skills? XD
I would have done a few of the decisions differently, but it likely wouldn't have made much difference.
I've been skimming every post to get the general idea of why people voted for what, but there is so much arguing that is based on not understanding the mechanics. Sure Someone didn't do a very good job of explaining things, but still...
That Someone also appears to have been a bit cruel in the early stage, by not giving out enough action points for any serious experimentation of the numerous options presented. I'm curious as to if that was intended.
I like the Jai twins so far. I get the impression that Jai Fa is enjoying having Kong Zhi around, as it appears that she has had to be dragged around by her brother much of her life. Now she gets to drag Kong Zhi around.
Nokai, I suspect, is far more complex than she appears.

A lot of the mechanics for crafting and for other stuff have been thoroughly and thoughtfully figures out by our Math Cabal. (They are nice but don't look at them directly or they may start talking about percentages)

Looking forward to your reactions to some big story beats that are coming up!

The Scent of Ginger (commission) (canon)
A/N: A big thanks to the 28 people who have pledged to me on Patreon! If you'd like to join them, you can do so here. If you'd like to check out the Royal Road crosspost, head on over and check it out! Leave a rating while you're there. It really does help me out.

Hey, everyone! Speaking of Patreon, it's time for everyone's favorite part of the month: COMMISSIONS! My sincere apologies for the delay this month. Normally I like to have everything done by the end of the first week of the month, but this time, adorable circumstances (that you can see many pictures of in Discord) prevented me from being more prompt. But I'm here, I'm good, and we're back on the commission train!

Our first commission this month comes from a simple prompt: Hey, Ves? You know all those cooking duels you've alluded to Ming Hui having off screen? One of those please!

----------------------
The training grounds within the Delving Heart are no strangers to duels. Ever since Artists of the Radiant Empire first took Heaven's Crown, the craters have served as the home of trials, tests, and proving grounds of all sorts. Anything and everything, from minor disputes to full blood feuds, has started and ended within these mossy caverns.

The newest group of disciples within the Heart are no exception. In just the last two and a half months, the craters have housed no less than sixty three duels- and they have been surprisingly varied affairs. The current Ninth Circle does not seem to be content with the usual exchanging of pointers; they have far broader tastes. Bo Pan and Ru Tan set the trend over the first week, when they decided to see who was fastest with a foot race, and the moment Ru Tan's victory was assured, the precedent was set.

Since then, over a dozen non-traditional duels have been waged. Lam Chang and Wei Rong stood motionless as other disciples stacked rock after rock upon their shoulders, so that they may prove who could endure more. Hu Lan and Teng Lim settled their differences with a long series of obscure questions about Radiant history. Chow Mu was able to triumph over Yuen Juan- and no one who saw that duel is certain how, or even what the competition was. The two merely exchanged a glance and then the smaller disciple bowed and conceded the contest.

But the onlookers at the training grounds now will have no issue in following today's contest. It is of a genre far more familiar to those that frequent these gatherings: a cooking battle.

In the center of one of the larger craters, surrounded by three dozen onlookers, stand a trio of disciples. The first is an older man dressed in loose flowing pants and a dark red vest that hangs open, exposing a pale chest. He could not more obviously be bored by these proceedings. One hand hangs from his belt sash, thumb tucked behind the orange fabric, and the other is absently stroking his long moustache.

But the elder disciple's disinterest is more than made up for by his younger brethren. The two young boys stare at each other with a crackling intensity that threatens to set the older disciple's clothes aflame. At his left stands a boy who still appears to be caught in the tight grip of adolescence; his legs and arms are too long for his body, his hair stands in unkempt curls, and his fingers twitch with an overabundance of energy. At his right stands another disciple, this one smaller, rotund, head shorn clean of hair, and his hands weighed down by a dozen heavy rings.

The two younger disciples never take their eyes off of each other, not even when their elder steps forward to address the crowd. "I am Wen Chen of the Seventh Circle beneath Elder Sela," he intones, boredom dripping from his every syllable. "And I have been called to adjudicate this duel of cuisine. Before we begin, as this is not a duel for honor, it is my duty to make certain that both combatants are committed to this course."

He steps back and looks at the gangly disciple. "Disciple Fan Jiahao. You have called for this duel. I ask you now, can your grievances be set aside?"

Fan Jiahao sniffs, the motion sending his hair tumbling down in front of his eyes. He tucks it back behind his ear with one hand as he continues to glare at his opposite number. "They cannot!" Fan Jiahao intones, voice carrying every ounce of gravitas that Wen Chen's lacks. "For this cur had the audacity to steal from me!"

From the other side of Wen Chen, the second disciple bites back a groan. "For the last time, brother," Ming Hui bites out. "Purchasing something before you did is not 'stealing'. I just so happened to purchase the last Heartsfire Ginger in stock; that they did not have any more cannot be laid at my feet."

"I was at the stall first!" Fan Jiahao shoots back, venom clear in his voice. "I was waiting for the clerk's attention long before you even stepped into the market! I know not how you connived to sneak in front of me, but it can be called nothing but the most horrid of thefts!"

This time, Ming Hui cannot hold back his sigh. "The clerk noticed me first," he groans out. "If you wish to challenge someone to a duel, you should challenge him."

"And what would that get me?" Fan Jiahao yells, voice echoing through the crater. "He has no Heartsfire Ginger remaining! You do! And if I win, you must admit your theft and return to me your ill-gotten gains!"

Wen Chen steps back. Despite the energy in the air, he seems as if he is almost ready to nap. "I see that we cannot settle this another way. Fan Jiahao, you have demanded that Ming Hui put up the full pound of Heartsfire Ginger as his stake in the duel. Ming Hui, you may now select your opponent's stake in this conflict."

Ming Hui's eyes remain on Fan Jiahao, but his mind is racing. What does the other disciple have that he needs? Does he have good quality ingredients? No, Fan Jiahao is notoriously late in his shopping and derelict in his hunting. He receives the dregs left over by other, more industrious disciples, and his prey is limited to the few beasts that slip through the web woven by others. Perhaps a tool? No, Fan Jiahao is irritating, but Ming Hui will not lower himself to taking another chef's knife for such a small offense. Perhaps he has a recipe of which he is most proud? If so, that appeals nicely; improving on the work of others is a singular pleasure.

Or perhaps….

Ming Hui's eyes dart to Fan Jiahao's hand, where a length of wood is clutched. It is a pale yellow rod inscribed with a dozen runes, all of which glow a bright emerald as Fan Jiahao's emotions run away with him. If he's brandishing it at Ming Hui here, there's only one thing that rod could be: a kitchen charm.

Ming Hui nods. He may not have wanted to spend his hard-earned talents on something so frivolous, but taking it from another? Especially one so irritating as Fan Jiahow? That is another story entirely.

The rotund chef lifts his stone-handled knife and points it at the rod. "That," he declares. "I want that."

Fan Jiahow blanches at the demand. For the first time since entering the training field he seems to feel an emotion besides pique. His free hand goes towards the rod and covers it, as if he's trying to shield it from Ming Hui's grasp. "That is outrageous!" he sputters. "My charm is worth a dozen pounds of any spice, no matter how fine or rare it is!"

"Then it is a fitting stake," Wen Chen states. His bored voice is law; Fan Jiahao's jaw slams shut as if the elder disciple had driven his palm into it. Any further protests he has are stymied by the judge's decree. He musters one jerky nod and then steps back, away from Wen Chen. The runes on the charm glow even brighter, casting a poisonous light on the entire crater.

"The stakes are decided," Wen Chen announces. "This duel is declared valid. You have one hour to present to me your best dish- make it count. And now… begin!"

The word has barely left Wen Chen's mouth before Ming Hui is darting backwards, heading for the counters and icebox he prepared hours before. Fan Jiahao, on the other hand, does not move. Instead he presses a rune on the end of the charm. The small rod extends into a long staff fully as tall as Fan Jiahao himself. With a grunt and an effort of will, the green glow intensifies, and the chef jabs it into the stone beneath his feet.

The staff stands proudly on it's own for a fraction of an instant. But in a blink of an eye it's gone, and traceries of light form around Fan Jiahao. Before Ming Hui can clear the spots from his eyes, the forms of light have resolved themselves into creations of solid wood and stone. Fan Jiahao stands surrounded by counters of light wood the same shade as the staff. Behind him, heat pulses from a roaring oven and cold seeps from an icebox. More light glows on the main counter, forming into tools and knives of every stripe and color.

Ming Hui's eyes linger covetously on the blades. Fan Jiahao has a good eye for his kitchen implements. Will those be included when he takes the kitchen charm? They very well might be.

But that is a matter for later. As Fan Jiahao takes advantage of his already burning kitchen and begins to snap a chicken's spine, Ming Hui turns his focus to his own preparations. The moment he reaches his station he reaches below a counter, grabbing and pulling out an enormous sheet of metal. The metal is dropped down over the open flame burning in the firepit; in no time at all, the metal is radiating heat.

Ming Hui takes a moment as the makeshift griddle comes up to temperature, and flicks it with his finger. The digit impacts with a metallic sound, and while there is no visible change, the pulse of anam he sends through it smoothes and evens out the heat at his direction. Then he turns his focus from his tools to his ingredients. Flour is poured into a stone bowl and whisked together with powdery sugar fresh from the market and a dash of salt Ming Hui mined himself just two days ago. Once the dry ingredients are set, Ming Hui moves on, using the heat of the griddle to melt down a mound of butter.

The butter does not sit alone in it's bowl for long. WIth a flick of his wrist, Ming Hui produces a trio of vanilla pods. Each of them are gutted in turn. Their innards are dropped and whisked together with the barest hint of wind anam. As the anam flows, Ming Hui's core pulses, and his breath changes into his cycling technique.

The crater, previously barren of all energy, now begins to come alive. Anam wafts from Fan Jiahao's kitchen, fire and blood and steel. More comes from Ming Hui's creations, water, wind, earth. The aspects of the materials change and flow as the chefs bend their will to their purpose, and Ming Hui stands in wait as his continues beating the vanilla and butter together.

Once the mixture is as one, Ming Hui's foot lashes out and strikes the icebox. The contraption springs open and in one fluid motion, Ming Hui spins and dips, using the momentum of the kick to save himself from extra effort. When he straightens up once more, he has the key ingredients in his recipe in hand: two small glass bowls, each with a yellow mixture- the remnants of the last Camel Turkey egg.

The deep yellow bowl is dumped into the butter where wind anam takes care of the rest. The resulting concoction is poured into the dry ingredients. A thick batter begins to form, one which is lightened as Ming Hui produces a spatula and begins to add in the egg whites from the second bowl.

And then he feels it. As the anam from the Camel Turkey egg is added that of the rest of the ingredients, so too is it's anam added to that growing in the atmosphere. It wafts through the fire, steel, earth, and water, and when it emerges, it is something entirely different. It is the smell of freshly cooked bacon and the sound of a mother's song as she prepares soup. It is the comforting glow of an evening's cookfire and the taste of utter fulfillment.

It is Cuisine Anam, and Ming Hui's core practically vibrates as like calls to like. As Ming Hui's batter reaches its final form, the chef begins to cycle.

Ming Hui chances a glance over at Fan Jiahao. The chef is hard at work. He appears to be stuffing his chicken breasts with a mixture of cheese, herbs, and- Ming Hui pauses to sniff- some kind of hearty meat. Pork perhaps. It looks appetizing. A lesser palette may be intrigued by his creations. Indeed, some of the crowd have already begun moving towards the chef, noses in the air to catch the savory scents filling the air.

But the anam around him is untouched. It is present, but faint. No one will be able to cycle there. Meanwhile, as Ming Hui cooks, the anam becomes a palpable thing, pressing down on him like a comforting blanket.

Fan Jiahao has called no Cuisine Anam.

This challenge is over. All that is left is tears. Wen Chen seems to agree. He shakes his head in mild disdain and then glances Ming Hui's way.

Ming Hui pauses in his preparations. His batter is ready. All he needs to do is pour it on the griddle and his cakes will be complete. But… there is one way he could improve it.

The chef gestures towards a small brown package on his desk, one which throbs with a steady beat of earth anam. At Wen Chen's arched eyebrow, Ming Hui opens it slightly, letting the scent of hot Heartsfire Ginger flood the air.

Normally, using something that is at stake would be frowned on. But…

Well, it's not like Ming Hui has any chance of losing.

Wen Chen considers it and, after a moment, nods. Ming Hui grins and sets a small copper pot on the griddle. An earthenware jug is scooped from the counter, and Ming Hui pours it's contents into their new metal home. A generous pinch of the ginger soon follows.

A warm haze begins flowing from the pot and settling over the arena.

Wen Chen's hand goes to his mouth as if to stifle a yawn. But he doesn't do it fast enough. Ming Hui sees what he's truly attempting to hide.

The judge is licking his lips.

Ming Hui being allowed to use the ingredient he staked is hilarious. "Yes, we both know how this is going to go, now how about you make some better food since I have to be here anyway?" It's great. Fan Jiahao got absolutely dunked on.

I admit had I been writing this I wouldn't have been able to resist having the judge start the duel by shouting "Allez cuisine!"

He's making ginger pancakes laced with magic msg, that greenhorn fan Jiahao never stood a chance.

Ming Hui being allowed to use the ingredient he staked is hilarious. "Yes, we both know how this is going to go, now how about you make some better food since I have to be here anyway?" It's great. Fan Jiahao got absolutely dunked on.
See, Fan Jiahao was allowed to use HIS stake after all. Hence the reverse too is true.

Also the Elder is irritated from having to waste time over something as petty as a market dispute, and inclined to rule against the one who initiated it.

What Is This Polyhedral Contraption by KreenWarrior
Another Discord-spawned omake:

---

"I do not care for this game. I do not think I will participate." Jai Fa stood up.

Shouxi didn't follow her with his eyes, but spoke, "I believe Ming Hui will be coming by. He has some form of roast tubers he wishes to try out on us."

Fa paused briefly. "I will spend my time cycling, then." She pulled out the Tyrant's Nail and sat in the corner, eyes closed.

Kong Zhi looked over the book that had been spread on the table. "Is this a common sort of game? It seems very complex."

Xu Yun beamed. "It seems complex on the surface, but I will handle most of the rules I was taught it in a tavern across the sea when I was only ten years old."

Mo Hanying glanced at the various accoutrements on the table. A dubious expression flickered on her face, but was gone in a flash. "It is not… quite what I had in mind when I heard you were planning on celebrating getting our sigils."

Xu Yun looked almost pleading. "You do not know how much I had to pay to get the set. It is quite a rare find in the Empire."

Shouxi waved a hand. "We did agree that each of us could celebrate in our own way."

Mo looked askance. "Still… dice?"

----

Xu Yun cleared his throat. "It appears that the trail ahead is blocked. A large tree has fallen over, perhaps in the storm. How do you-"

"It is an ambush." Fa called out, eyes still closed. "Only one tree, in exactly the right place to block the path?"

Shouxi laughed. "I think my sister is overly paranoid. And she has chosen not to play. I will draw my axe and chop the tree in half."

Xu Yun grinned. "You spot an arrow heading towards you as you leave the safety of your party.. Roll for initiative."

---

"Everyone should stay within 10 feet of me at all times." Mo Hanying called out. "I do not trust that enemy artist. My aura should protect against his techniques."

"Good instincts." Xu Yun acknowledged. "He's casting a stinking cloud spell right in the middle of you. Annnd… looks like Zhi's up next. And with Lady Mo's bonus, you made your save. What do you do?"

"The cloud hides me, yes? I will duck out of the cloud and fire an arrow at him."

"All right, roll me the largest die."

"A… 20. That is good, yes?"

Xu Yun's grin was wicked. "That's what's called a critical hit. That will double your normal dice and your sneak attack for damage… yes, you destroy the shaman in one shot."

---
"Sorry, that's not quite enough to drop the chieftain's bodyguard."

"Brother, did you forget your rage bonus?"

Shouxi sighed. "No, I… wait, yes, I believe I did. Sister, are you sure you do not wish to play?"

"No, I am quite sure."
---

"Alright, you're in the middle of the warcamp, the enemies defeated. What do you do?"

Mo inclined her head. "I believe we should seek the spoils of war."

"Good, yes. Most of the enemy arent' carrying much of value, but there is a chest in the leader's tent. It's locked, though."

Shouxi clapped Zhi on the back. "Go on, then. I believe this calls for lockpicks."

Zhi assumed a look of concentration, "What manner of lock is this?"

Xu Yun blinked slightly. "It's built into the chest. Difficult to see details."

Zhi shook his head. "Well, what about the chest itself? What type of wood is it made of? Is it held together with nails or screws? Perhaps with a claw hammer-"

"Please- just roll lockpicking."

---

"Well, we've slain the enemy that was stopping travellers. Should we go back to town?" Shouxi was stacking dice to form a miniature tower.

Fa coughed from her corner.

"Sister, do you have something to say?"

"No, it is nothing."

Mo couldn't keep a slight note of irritation out of her voice. "No, please, your input is valuable. Almost as valuable as another sword arm would have been in the camp."

Fa closed her eyes again. "It is no matter."

"Please, Fa, if you have an idea, we would all be pleased to hear it." Zhi's voice was as neutral as possible.

Fa sighed. "Very well. The merchant who sent you here is clearly behind the whole affair. He fed you false information on the enemy's numbers and position, that was no mistake. The enemy was using high quality weapons and he is a weapon's merchant. Everyone agreed that all the traders who went missing talked to him. And remember the foreign coinage he almost gave in change? He is selling the positions of travellers to the enemy and profiting from the goods they stole."

"..."

Fa shrugged. "Really, it was quite obvious."

---

"The merchant is getting away. What do you do?

"I'll chase after him and smite him." Mo reached for a d20.

Shouxi coughed. "Zhi is bleeding out on the floor. Do you not have a healing touch?"

Zhi shook his head. "Oh, it is no matter. It is only a game, after all."

Fa glanced at Mo. "I have at least one more shot with my bow before he escapes. Zhi should be protected."

Mo pursed her lips. "Of… course. I had simply forgotten."

---

Xu Yun smiled broadly. "Well, you caught the traitorous merchant and put an end to the danger on the road. What do you think?"

"I believe the rules are insufficiently detailed. I have some thoughts on expanding the uses of thieves tools."
"I believe the game has some value as a tactical teaching exercise."

"The… roleplaying is quite interesting. It is not so unpleasant as most dice games."

"I enjoyed swinging a bigger axe than my sister."

"Well, if you like, we could try again next week?"

"I-"

Xu Yun coughed. "Ming Hui has promised to test out a new recipe."

"Yes."

"I will make myself available."

"I believe I can be free."

"A training exercise it is, then."

See, Fan Jiahao was allowed to use HIS stake after all. Hence the reverse too is true.

Also the Elder is irritated from having to waste time over something as petty as a market dispute, and inclined to rule against the one who initiated it.

Sure, but using a consumable thing and a non-consumable thing is not the same.
Furthermore, the prizes were hilariously unequal in value.

Were it something more important at stake, or if the participants were of notable clans, either could have resulted in an appeal being made and duel being proclaimed meaningless.

The Elder disciple must have been really pissed at having to officiate, to play so fast and loose with the rules.

Catch Up Progress: ~42%.
This is very approximate because I'm counting what page of this thread I'm up to, and to paraphrase Nokai 'you lot waste much wind'.
Zhi has just survived the Weeding task (very lucky with the rolls there) and is pondering how to approach the Lost Armoury Charm. (I hope that using the Archives is decided on.)
Behind him, Jai Fa's expression is much the same. Her eyebrows are slightly raised and her mouth is a touch agape. She might as well be screaming.
This has been my favourite line so far. :D

I'm not much of a word smith, but I was inspire to write this:
Clueless Crafter Zhi
Has Much Misadventure On
The Path Unending

One's Public Face (commission) (canon)
A/N: A big thanks to the 29 people who have pledged to me on Patreon! If you'd like to join them, you can do so here. If you'd like to check out the Royal Road crosspost, head on over and check it out! Leave a rating while you're there. It really does help me out.

We're back on the Commission trail today! Today's prompt: Let's see Honored Elder Sister Ame Jichong working on a commission of her own.
-----------------------

It never ceases to amaze Ame Jichong just how many ways there are to stop a blade.

It makes sense that everyone around the world would create their own armor and shields. After all, for as long as man has known how to heat metal, they have sought ways to introduce the sharpened end of an ingot into the bellies of those they don't like. Longer even; swords and knives can be made of anything after all. And so it stands to reason that every person who has ever wanted to avoid such a fate would work on means to prevent it.

But the sheer variety of methods that people have created is enough to boggle the mind! In all of Ame Jichong's years of study, she has yet to find two identical styles of armor. And the differences she finds are not small ones either; each has its own variation on the concept of 'solid object to block blades', and each is fascinating in their own way.

The Laughingstar Tribesmen preferred to make their armor from boiled leather and only wore it on their arms and legs. Was that because they didn't want to risk sacrificing mobility or because they lack the ability to properly shape the leather? The Gravebearers in the Trackless Marsh used actual plates of shaped stone tucked into reinforced pockets on ordinary clothing. Did they not fear the extra weight dragging them below the surface? The Northern Savages eschewed metal, stone, and leather alike in favor of heavy fur wraps and oversized bone shields. Why are the shields only bone? Is it not hard to find a properly aspected creature able to properly 'donate' bones of that size?

Each piece of armor has a dozen questions behind it- questions that can only be answered with dedicated recreation and rigorous experimentation.

One such question is in the process of being answered even now. Ame Jichong is deep in focus over the linkmail shirt that sits half woven on her anvil. Each link is properly forged and assembled using the exact style of the Free City of Osrot, which sits across the ocean and prides itself on the strength of its arms. The strength of the Osrotians is no lie; with the aid of their arms and armor, they are capable of destroying a Spirit Beast that would reduce a Radiant village to embers with minimal casualties. But is their strength in their arms or their armor?

Someone else will investigate their weapons. But Ame Jichong? She is fascinated by their linkmail. Each link is forged above embers birthed from a dozen different aspects and woven together with its brethren with no pattern to speak of. A link forged of Earth and Crow can sit next to a link of Ice and Night with no ill-effects whatsoever! How is that even possible?

To find out, Ame Jichong works day and night. Every moment she has that isn't dedicated to her third's service or teaching her sevens and eights is spent forming forge after forge, creating new and interesting links to weave together. It's a painstaking process; the Osrotian method is not an easy one, and the smallest disturbance can ruin the effort entirely. But it's a worthwhile one. Soon, she will have her answer. Already a picture is being forged in her mind as surely as the linkmail shirt is being forged in her hands. All she needs is time. Time, and peace.

Peace which is broken as the door to her forge is flung open. "Honored Elder Sister!" a voice hisses, cutting through the formerly pristine silence. "I beg your pardon but I have dire need or your assistance!"

It isn't the loud cry of another's voice that ruins the weaving; Chai Ling, though clearly distraught, still barely speaks above a whisper. It isn't the sudden presence of someone new. Ame Jichong has forged amidst far greater tumult than one of her Eights coming in and disturbing her. It isn't the breeze that kicks up from the force Chai Ling opens the door with; all that does is blow back Ame Jichong's hair.

No, what truly ruins the forging process is the sheer agitation in Chai Ling. The gaunt girl's spirit practically sings with discomfort, to the point where her core seethes with tension. Steel and Fire flow from Chai Ling like steam from a bath, blanketing the room in errant anam. It's all Ame Jichong can do to watch the link she was working quiver in place under the sudden assault- and then, like a flower, it withers into a bare husk of what it once was.

Ame Jichong lets out a low breath as she stares down at what was once the end result of a day's careful labor. Behind her, Chai Ling freezes, hands going to her face as the impact of what she's just done truly strikes her. The elder disciple ignores her junior and instead grasps her sixth sense, carefully pouring over the ruined iron in front of her and then the half-shirt nearby.

Once her inspection is done, Ame Jichong bites back a sigh of relief. The current link is ruined, but the shirt itself is hardier. Even though it hasn't undergone it's final cold temper yet, the links already joined seem no worse for wear from Chai Ling's assault. In fact, some seem stronger. Ame Jichong peers at it curiously. The power spread amongst the links is no longer even…

Did weaker links draw from stronger ones to hold up to the attack? Fascinating.

But that can be studied later. For now, Ame Jichong has a disciple to see to.

She spins and stares at Chai Ling. The Eighth Circle member's eyes are wide as she stares at the ruin she has wrought before her mentor. But Ame Jichong interrupts her self-recriminations with a snap right next to the younger girl's ear. "Chai!" she barks at her junior. "Wha' is it?"

Chai Ling blinks quickly and jerks her head up, meeting Ame Jichong's eyes. "I… um… my apologies, Honored Elder Sister! I did not mean to-"

"Ah know ya didnae mean to!" Ame Jichong interrupts. "If ah thought ya had, we'd bae having a right different conversation right aboot now! But ya came in here fer a reason. Come on, spit it out!"

The Eighth Circle Member takes a moment to digest Ame Jichong's words before nodding sharply. "My apologies," she grunts out. "I allowed my feelings to distract me from my purpose. I shall endeavor to make certain that it does not happen-"

Another snap of Ame Jichong's fingers cuts through her babble. "Today, Chai! If ah have tae ask again, ah'm takin' out a wing!"

Chai Ling's words freeze in her mouth and her eyes dar to Ame Jichong's chitinous black shoulders. She swallows and nods. "Yes, Honored Elder Sister. Thank you, Honored Elder Sister." She pauses to see if Ame Jichong has any further objections, but when she doesn't Chai Ling continues. "The problem is with Kwan Zedong."

Ame Jichong rolls her eyes. "Of course it is. Wha's his issue?"

"He does not like the fact that I am working on his armor!" Chai Ling spits out. Now that the topic is changed, fire has returned to the smith's apprentices' eyes and heat to her voice. "No matter how many times I assure him that I know how to properly work shell, he will not hear it! He is now threatening to withhold payment unless you see to his breastplate yourself!"

The Sixth Circle Disciple considers the words and nods. "He is, is he?" she muses. "Whateva he wants." Then she's up, leaving her half-finished linkmail in a heap as she strides from her forge. Chai Ling pauses only to close the door behind her and then she too is moving, racing to keep up with her mentor.

Ame Jichong burns a path right through the Creator's Garden. All around her, lower disciples dodge to avoid her path, and even her fellow Sixths quickly duck out of her way when they see the look on her face. Only once does Ame Jichong have to change her own course, when a Third Circle disciple demands the entire path upon which they both walk, but besides that it is a clear trip right to Chai Ling's usual workstation.

The small, simple workshop is a crowded place dominated by a wide table covered in odds and ends. One side is emptier than the other however, and is occupied only by a simple breastplate of leather and tortoiseshell. It's at that side that another disciple sits.

The other disciple couldn't look any less like he belonged in the Creator's Garden if he tried. His hair is brushed back and tied into a neat braid with silver cord. His nails, perfectly manicured and entirely without calluses. His robes are pristine, save for a light coating of dust towards the lower edge which he glares at as if it has personally offended him.

But he's not the only one here personally offended. He's just far worse at hiding it.

Ame Jichong stalks up to the disciple and stops only feet away from him. "Ya got a problem?" she barks out.

The disciple, Kwan Zedong flinches at the sudden arrival of the elder disciple. He recovers in a flash though, resuming his imitation of a portrait of poise and elegance. "Ah! Ame Jichong! It is wonderful to see you!" he exclaims. "Perhaps now we can guide our business to a satisfying conclusion."

Ame Jichong stares at him for a moment. Her shoulder vibrates, the motion far too slight for Kwan Zedong to notice. But Chai Ling's eyes are trained on her mentor's shoulders; she recoils at the twitch. Ame Jichong doesn't pay her student any mind. Instead she reaches out and raps two knuckles against the armor next to her. "Business seems finished," she replies. "Work's done. All ah' need is the rest of ya' payment."

Kwan Zedong shakes his head slowly. He looks almost like a disappointed father who is very sad that his daughter could not come to him with her feelings. "I apologize, but I must beg to differ. After all, I commissioned you to personally craft my armor- not your apprentice. And from what she tells me, you did not so much as look at her work before pronouncing it complete."

The senior disciple stares at Kwan Zedong as she tries to determine if he's joking or not. Finding no humor in his face, she snorts. "I looked at it," she answers. "It's good work. Chai's gotta gift wit' shell. Should last ya through whatever ya run into. Happy?"

"...no!" Kwan Zedong exclaims. "I paid you to craft my armor! You! You were supposed to create it with your own hands! You said that you would!"

Ame Jichong stares at him without a drop of comprehension in her eyes. "Ah did," she slowly states. "Chai is one o' mah hands. Real talent, tha' one." She glances over her shoulder. "Chai, how long've you worked shell?"

"A year, Honored Elder Sister," Chai Ling answers. Her eyes haven't moved from Ame Jichong's shoulder, but she gives her vigil a rest just long enough to send a poisonous glare Kwan Zedong's way. The other disciple doesn't seem to notice; all of his focus is on Ame Jichong.

Ame Jichong doesn't return his gaze. All of her focus is on the armor. "Just a year," she muses. "And she's already this good. Trust me, you're in good hands here. Now, if we can just ha' the rest o' your payment, our business'll be done."

Kwan Zedong scoffs. "I care not how skilled your junior is! I paid for your work, not the futile attempts of an apprentice! Now, are you-"

His protests die in his throat as Ame Jichong fixes him with a steady look. "Nah," she corrects him. "Ya didn't. If you were payin' fer my work, trus' me, you'd have paid more than jus' fifty points. Now, fer the las' time, ya gonna pay up or what?"

Silence settles on Chai Ling's workshop for an endless moment. It's broken when Kwan Zedong stands and pulls his token from his pocket. "I will say 'or what'," he barks out.

Ame Jichong lifts an eyebrow. "Oh?" she drawls.

Kwan Zedong brandishes his token at her. "I demand my points back. I will not pay for slipshod work! And since you refuse to get up and actually do what I've told you, I will take my custom elsewhere. You have twenty-five of my points and I want them back!"

The chitin-shouldered girl looks from the token to Kwan Zedong and then back again. She scratches at her chin for a moment as if in thought. Then she shakes her head. "Nah, I'm not gonna do that."

Then she stands up and gestures at the armor on the table. Chai Ling obediently scurries forward and plucks it from the table. "But if ya' change ya mind, feel free to lemme know," Ame Jichong drawls. "Have a nice day now, ya hear?"

With that, she turns and strides from the forge. Behind her, Kwan Zedong stares in shock. "You- I- you have to give me my points back!"

"Nah."

"I… then you're agreeing to make my armor!"

"Nah."

The well appointed disciple's jaw drops open. As the two girls make their way from the forge, Kwan Zedong's voice comes with them. "I won't stand for this!" he calls. "I will get my points back and I will have you properly make my armor! I don't care how long it takes! I will take this to Elder Tian if I have to!"

"Good luck wit' that!" Ame Jichong calls.

Kwan Zedong's footsteps echo on the stone as he chases after them. "Who is your master?!" he barks at Ame Jichong as he reaches her. "I will be having words with them about how poorly the Creator's Garden has treated me today!"

Ame Jichong glances at Kwan Zedong out of the corner of her eye. "I answer to Chu Yan o' the Third. He's over at tha' glassblowers if ya' wanna talk to him now."

The former client doesn't answer Ame Jichong. He turns from her instead and speeds up, power walking away from the smiths, moving towards one of the upper circles of the Creator's Garden. Ame Jichong and Chai Ling just stand and watch him go.

"Will… will you get in trouble for that, Honored Elder Sister?" Chai Ling asks.

Ame Jichong smiles.

It is not a nice smile.

"Ah highly doubt it."

Moments later, a yell comes from the glassblowers section of the Garden, and from off in the distance sounds a crack like thunder. Wind blasts through the Garden. With it, it carries a figure dressed in long flowing robes, a sect token stuffed in his mouth and a look of utter misery on his face.

Ame Jichong watches Kwan Zedong's arc until he's out of sight. Then she gives it a sharp nod. "Yeah, that seems about right."

Then she's gone, mind already back on her current project. What kind of aspects can she use for the next link?

"I will get my points back and I will have you properly make my armor! I don't care how long it takes! I will take this to Elder Tian if I have to!"
Moments later, a yell comes from the glassblowers section of the Garden, and from off in the distance sounds a crack like thunder. Wind blasts through the Garden. With it, it carries a figure dressed in long flowing robes, a sect token stuffed in his mouth and a look of utter misery on his face.
Complaining to Elder Tian? Bad, bad move. He prefers not being bothered over all else, so really, if you think about it, what happened to Kwan Zedong should have been obvious from a mile away.

Complaining to Elder Tian? Bad, bad move. He prefers not being bothered over all else, so really, if you think about it, what happened to Kwan Zedong should have been obvious from a mile away.
I think it was "Chu Yun of the Third" that sent him flying, but either way, it appears the Creator's Garden does not believe the customer is always right. Honored Elder Sister Ame Jichong continues to be a gem!

Back