The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

First we've got to fix our arm and leg

[X] How quickly can you get support from our Family on fixing my arm and leg, or even the eye?

Then the other good ones

[X] Elder said my father was sworn to secrecy about this. Why do you and father know this? Should I keep this secret?
[X] So.. how bad exactly was the fall of Blue Facade, the Silken Plague, the reign of the Emperor-In-Chains and the invasion of the Northern Savages?
[X] So that was technique integration... I have also heard the term channel cultivation, what benefits do that provide and how can I do it?
[X] The healer disciple mentioned that integrating Sage techniques could help revert the changes. Have you seen any charms that can do the same? Could I make something that helps?
[X] is time anaam sentient? from my time interacting with it it seems to have a personality
[X] Sometimes i find myself at the time wonder i found not of my own volition, any idea how this could happen? it the time anaam messing with my subconscious or something?
[X] Do you have any advice for dealing with kukuni?
[X] Who else do you know that has a Time core? Was taking in Time a mistake?
[X] what are time techniques capable of? Is there any I should avoid? Do you know of any?
[X] do you know of any Sage techniques that I could learn that might help with the changes?
[X] Can you tell me about the next Step? How do I take it?

[X] Elder said my father was sworn to secrecy about this. Why do you and father know this? Should I keep this secret?
[X] So.. how bad exactly was the fall of Blue Facade, the Silken Plague, the reign of the Emperor-In-Chains and the invasion of the Northern Savages?
[X] So that was technique integration... I have also heard the term channel cultivation, what benefits do that provide and how can I do it?
[X] The healer disciple mentioned that integrating Sage techniques could help revert the changes. Have you seen any charms that can do the same? Could I make something that helps?
[X] is time anaam sentient? from my time interacting with it it seems to have a personality
[X] Sometimes i find myself at the time wonder i found not of my own volition, any idea how this could happen? it the time anaam messing with my subconscious or something?
[X] what are time techniques capable of? Is there any I should avoid? Do you know of any?
[X] do you know of any Sage techniques that I could learn that might help with the changes?

Oh right also have to ask what happened to the box right?

Last edited:
The update was good. Kong Zhi seeing that he could still craft and that the changes limbs were still him and not something else was very good. The Symphony-in-Rags is interesting. I don't regret taking the Time core - neat plotlines like this keep the quest interesting. However, we'll want to be sure we always have a pill on hand if at all possible. If we ever run out of anam and can't activate SEG to turn off our hearing, that'll be a problem.

Also... we're apparently able to extend our sixth sense pretty far by turning off all our senses. We might be able to find Wonders and other interesting things that way! Also, I'm thinking the new action type will be for training our sixth sense.

Oh right also have to ask what happened to the box right?

The box was given to her for safe-keeping. She charged it for us, because she's awesome like that. She gave it back to us in the update. No real need to question the obvious.

I was feeling for a bit like I wanted out, that I didn't like where this story was going.

That's changed now, that update helped a lot.

Yeah though, looking at it. My impression is that the closer you get to the 'Source' of... Whatever the hell this thing is, the more likely you get caught up in it. One who cycles Time anam is close enough that they can hear it without knowing what it is.

But--and this seems important. It seems that being aware of what this is also exposes you to its effect. Hence the strict information control.

It's like the fucking Simurgh it seems, it's a memetic hazard that uses anyone aware of it--or anyone attuned to Time--as a vector to cause calamity. Hence why it was so critically important to learn how to just shut off the vector it bounces through as soon as possible.
...huh, does that mean Time users would be aware of it because its a transtemporal effect? You can see the ripples, so no Time user can avoid noticing it for long. And until they can shut off their ears at will, once they learn about it they can't help but hear it and pay attention to it.

No way to break out.
First we've got to fix our arm and leg

[X] How quickly can you get support from our Family on fixing my arm and leg, or even the eye?
Redundant question, read the update, she's getting help as soon as humanly possible.
I'm guessing Sage techniques with the necessary pills to speedlearn them.

[X] What types of Anam am I incompatible with due to my core?

Added one more question to find out more about our core. Are there any other questions missing from this list?

I also voted for:
[X] Has using the Stallion's Enclosed Garden to avoid hearing the song of the Symphony-in-Rags been put into practice before?
[X] Just as my core is strong with Time, it is weak in Fate, do you know anything of Fate? Do you think there is any connection with what you just told me and

Last edited:

Well, that was a fun update! And now we have some foreshadowing of what the end-game problem might be. This... Symphony-in-Rags.

Overall, I see three general possibilities regarding this music of calamity. 1) It is prophetic and not causal, in other words, it is predicting the calamity and not causing it. 2) It is both prophetic and causal. It is a warning of something that it is causing. 3) It is not prophetic and is causal. The song causes the calamity and the warning people get is incidental to what the thing is trying to trigger.

Either way, I trust our Aunt to know what she is talking about and that blocking our hearing is one of the best ways to prevent whatever this thing is from wreaking our lives. I do wonder if our mysterious Elder cycles time and, if so, what defensive mechanisms he has developed to protect himself from the danger. It'll certainly make our time in the Sect interesting.

[X] Has using the Stallion's Enclosed Garden to avoid hearing the song of the Symphony-in-Rags been put into practice before?

It's not that I'm not grateful that our dad has deliberately gone out of his way to provide a safeguard against a risk we were unaware of (or have any intention of not immediately using it should said risk actually occur), but I would kinda like to know whether SEG is something that should allow someone to avoid calamity or whether its something that has been proven to allow someone to avoid calamity. Especially since said calamity may well hit those around us rather than us directly should we be afflicted - I'd like to know if we should maybe think about self-isolating ourselves from people we care about for a while just in case if and when we come across the dangling plot thread here.

Last edited:

We're only asking the above right now since Ves wants winning options to have more than half the total votes, so if you want anything else brought up after you voted you should definitely edit yours.

[X] Just as my core is strong with Time, it is weak in Fate, do you know anything of Fate? Do you think there is any connection with what you just told me and Fate?

Last edited:
We should ask as many questions as possible tbh, there's no opportunity cost to asking more questions here. Worst case she thinks one or two questions are stupid and says a one liner about it before moving on to the other questions.

This reminds me of the lost opportunities to ask questions to Elder Sela. We could have learned so much!

[X] Just as my core is strong with Time, it is weak in Fate, do you know anything of Fate? Do you think there is any connection with what you just told me and Fate?

There that should be a master list of all the questions asked I think. We should all just vote for the entire list. No real downside

edit: jk, Ves said don't ask too many or he'll start pruning Lol, not sure how many we should ask then

Last edited:

I don't really want to ask about the timeline on help. The answer is "not before our trip to the deeps" so I don't care much about the details.

Yikes, I blame Siani for this. If he'd just said calamity follows those who cycle time we'd be swimming in creation. If Zhi ends up destroying the sect with his mere presence then I hope Siani will feel sheepish for taking cryptic warnings a little too far. That said, I'm all for it.

I wonder what was limiting what Siani could say. You'd think there'd be a vested interest in discouraging Time rather than a taboo, so it makes you wonder.

But you discard both Jai Fa's words and Jai Shouxi's desire to not stare at your changes. "My Dance!" you yell, the panic clear in your voice. .

The two stare at you, nonplussed. "The Dance at the Midnight Crossroads!" you elaborate, as if perhaps they have forgotten the true name of your work. "My summoning box! Where is it? Have you seen it?!"

The Jai Twins look at you for a very long moment. They trade looks, and as one, their shoulders seem to relax. Jai Fa even holds up a hand to her mouth in a gesture that, if she were someone else, you would think would be to disguise a giggle.
Favorite part of the update. It's clear that the Jais weren't sure what these changes mean for us. Have we changed in some fundamental way, or was the experience damagingly traumatizing? Then we hole ourselves up in our room doing who knows what.

They we run down in a panic asking after our art like our missing box is the most important thing happening at the moment, physical mutations be damned. Yep, same old Kong Zhi, just with a different skin equipped.

Yikes, I blame Siani for this. If he'd just said calamity follows those who cycle time we'd be swimming in creation. If Zhi ends up destroying the sect with his mere presence then I hope Siani will feel sheepish for taking cryptic warnings a little too far. That said, I'm all for it.

I wonder what was limiting what Siani could say. You'd think there'd be a vested interest in discouraging Time rather than a taboo, so it makes you wonder.
I'd guess that part of the sect scriptures or rules set by the Highest or the Emperor means the sect can't just forbid disciples from cycling what they choose to.

It's Time bullshit. He couldn't say anything because he already knew that he didn't say anything, and thus saying something would have created a paradox.

Back