The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

Bihai must have been delighted in helping us against the Wrath of the Moloth. There was a foe worth of a nascent legend. There was a hurdle that only the glorious DIAMOND KNIGHT could overcome (With some meager assistance that the bards will downplay, except for the beautiful Jai Fa). There was an appropriate story to begin glorious retellings of his legends.

And he even got rewarded for it! He got accepted into the Court of Preservation because of his deeds and none could deny the spark that lay inside Bihai's soul. A spark that would ignite a firestorm to consume the world. A firestorm that only the Bihai could stop!
...I mean, none of this is inaccurate. That's pretty much how it went. There's a reason Bihai's been chasing that high by going deeper and deeper into the tunnels ever since. Though, for the record, he would never disparage the efforts made by his brave fellows! It was only through glorious teamwork and the pooling of everyone's power that victory was able to be secured!
Have we seen Tao Dai somewhere else?
You have not. You may in the future, but you have not as of yet.

So we're the 'wise timeless wondermaker' in Bihai's epic? Dope.

I can imagine someone who's heard about KZ through Bihai would be quite surprised actually meeting Zhi for the first time.

Imagine seeing the venerable wise, timeless crafter himself coming to town in his hot Autumn Hunter form. Now, compound that when Zhi eventually needs to strip his robes to harness the full breadth of his charms in a moment's notice.

One upside is that don't need billboards when your shining ruby of a bod serves it just fine!

Well, I just finished binging this thread and I'm glad to be here in time for the start of Act 3. Ves is a great writer, I'm hooked. A few things I wanted to note:

1. Zhi needs more maximum Anam. This is, in my opinion, priority number one by a large distance. His best combat charm and most of his techniques are very anam-costly, he didn't have a ton in the first place, and the limitations of the Fractal View mean we're only operating with 80% of that small pool.

As much of a shame to the profession as Jin Yuzhou is, he had some clever ideas for the duel, including giving Mei those anam battery scarves. Obviously, Zhi can do better than that, as such items would need to be filled via cycling and who has the time? Perhaps something that ambiently recharges and can supply a chunk of anam all at once, or something that temporarily supercharges his innate anam generation at the cost of a box of stress.

Outside of charmcraft, there are probably more mundane methods. Zhuan had a 50-something max when Zhi first sparred with him months ago, which was twice what Zhi has now. Maybe there's a modification to Zhi's breathing technique we could learn from him during the trip, or a technique he knows that is good for strengthening one's anam channels.

2. We need an Archer technique in a bad way, or an Archer charm. Preferably something with a low activation cost that can be spammed. Zhi's combat style is based around being hard to hit/do solid damage to while a ton of minions (the Rakshasa/Shattered Mirror/The Prince) distract. It probably would fit well with his style to keep his distance and fire away with something that can plink away with damage or something that inflicts a debilitating effect that intensifies with each further hit (a time technique that slows the opponent down?) would be good.

3. In terms of the shipping wars, I am entirely split between Mei and Nokai, both are best girls.

Last edited:
1. Zhi needs more maximum Anam. This is, in my opinion, priority number one by a large distance. His best combat charm and most of his techniques are very anam-costly, he didn't have a ton in the first place, and the limitations of the Fractal View mean we're only operating with 80% of that small pool.

As much of a shame to the profession as Jin Yuzhou is, he had some clever ideas for the duel, including giving Mei those anam battery scarves. Obviously, Zhi can do better than that, as such items would need to be filled via cycling and who has the time? Perhaps something that ambiently recharges and can supply a chunk of anam all at once, or something that temporarily supercharges his innate anam generation at the cost of a box of stress.
We're getting there. It'll take a while though.. When we're done integrating Plume we'll get 24(28), Shadow of the Prince will push that up to 28(32) and Warhound will increase it to 32(36). Numbers in parentheses is with the current Fractal bonus.

I'd rather spend the time to actually get some fight training with Chui Dao than to make anam batteries. If it can let Zhi hit spiritual beings without spending anam, it'll improve his staying power and eventually Chui Dao will learn it's own techniques and be of more aid in combat. Batteries will have to be filled up and can't gather anam on their own. Besides Zhuan Kun has shown that it's possible to cycle while fighting. Zhi hasn't tried that with live combatants, but he's done so when cycling progress into HD.

We're getting there. It'll take a while though.. When we're done integrating Plume we'll get 24(28), Shadow of the Prince will push that up to 28(32) and Warhound will increase it to 32(36). Numbers in parentheses is with the current Fractal bonus.

I'd rather spend the time to actually get some fight training with Chui Dao than to make anam batteries. If it can let Zhi hit spiritual beings without spending anam, it'll improve his staying power and eventually Chui Dao will learn it's own techniques and be of more aid in combat. Batteries will have to be filled up and can't gather anam on their own. Besides Zhuan Kun has shown that it's possible to cycle while fighting. Zhi hasn't tried that with live combatants, but he's done so when cycling progress into HD.
I can't disagree and I almost made "Zhi needs some hammer combat training" an extra point.

I wonder if we could forge a true charm hammer and get Chui Dao to move to it. Then again, it's entirely possible the current hammer might… evolve over time.

I can't disagree and I almost made "Zhi needs some hammer combat training" an extra point.

I wonder if we could forge a true charm hammer and get Chui Dao to move to it. Then again, it's entirely possible the current hammer might… evolve over time.

Well we could try crafting a charm for our hammerson to play with. Nothing special, but maybe as a proof of concept of how much the kukuni within might affect a charm given to it.

Oh that does remind me, maybe we can fiddle Chui Dao with our old archer charm VR? Give us an idea of charm-kukuni interactions that we Kongs can use as inspirations to make our hammer toys it can use while we beat our enemies!

Something like a

situation

Well we could try crafting a charm for our hammerson to play with. Nothing special, but maybe as a proof of concept of how much the kukuni within might affect a charm given to it.

Oh that does remind me, maybe we can fiddle Chui Dao with our old archer charm VR? Give us an idea of charm-kukuni interactions that we Kongs can use as inspirations to make our hammer toys it can use while we beat our enemies!

Something like a

situation
This actually gives me an idea. What if we built a charm warhammer... that had a little hollow designed for Chui Dao's hammer to slide into/snap into place within?

This actually gives me an idea. What if we built a charm warhammer... that had a little hollow designed for Chui Dao's hammer to slide into/snap into place within?
Chui Dao learns an insight!

Dual Wielding: Are you wielding the human or is the human wielding you? You don't exactly know. But with the new offering your human has given you (in your image? how flattering), you seem to be more cognisant of this paradox as you interact with it along with your human. Nonetheless, hammering things has never been more fun!

3. In terms of the shipping wars, I am entirely split between Mei and Nokai, both are best girls.

So long as you support the goals of the MeiKong Ship, the Mei Gang opens its arms to a new brother-on-deck!

Last edited:
I won't lie, that Judge had a point about making charms interactable and synergize with eachother. Even if most people don't like Yazhu, he did well to make sure that his charms maximizaed eachothers abilities, even if some of them were made with being broken in mind.

So, why not make a charm that synergizes with Chui Dao? Similar to how Kong Zhi's dad made a set of knives that was technically one charm, we should make like a couple nails. But the huge kinds,
and I figured it'd be something we could to be a Warrior charm as well as an Archer one, and maybe traveller, depending on the anam type. I'm sort of picturing the thing Nobara from Jujutsu Kaisen has goin' on.

I won't lie, that Judge had a point about making charms interactable and synergize with eachother. Even if most people don't like Yazhu, he did well to make sure that his charms maximizaed eachothers abilities, even if some of them were made with being broken in mind.

So, why not make a charm that synergizes with Chui Dao? Similar to how Kong Zhi's dad made a set of knives that was technically one charm, we should make like a couple nails. But the huge kinds,
and I figured it'd be something we could to be a Warrior charm as well as an Archer one, and maybe traveller, depending on the anam type. I'm sort of picturing the thing Nobara from Jujutsu Kaisen has goin' on.

Zhi's a crafter. So the next logical thing he should make to pair with our hammerson should be his Chisel-waifu! After all, you can't expect hot constant action with disposable nails.

And what better tool to etch our nemesis's epithet on Brother Tombstone?

Zhi's a crafter. So the next logical thing he should make to pair with our hammerson should be his Chisel-waifu! After all, you can't expect hot constant action with disposable nails.

And what better tool to etch our nemesis's epithet on Brother Tombstone?
*gasps* You...you were going to throw away the nails? Sacrilege! The nails are large, and of course, are to be re-usable with their effects and abilities (though maybe after using it a certain number of times as an Archer Charm, you can't anymore, as the nails are stuck in an enemy).
Hold on, are you trying to sexualize tools?
A chisel woul be interesting, but it doesn't quite have the versatility I was going for. And the Jin doesn't deserve the craftsmanship of a Kong on their tombstone, much less to have the tools sullied by even being near them.

I have discovered that, entirely independently, things evolve into crabs, all throughout history. This is a terrible trend which has an actual science name. Everyone keep an eye out on all discrete objects, organizations and organisms in their vicinity, lest you be surprised by the Great Enemy.

I have discovered that, entirely independently, things evolve into crabs, all throughout history. This is a terrible trend which has an actual science name. Everyone keep an eye out on all discrete objects, organizations and organisms in their vicinity, lest you be surprised by the Great Enemy.
Carcinization is a threat made to all of nature by The Gods in order to remind us that we're only ever a step or two away from becoming the thing we hate the most.

*gasps* You...you were going to throw away the nails? Sacrilege! The nails are large, and of course, are to be re-usable with their effects and abilities (though maybe after using it a certain number of times as an Archer Charm, you can't anymore, as the nails are stuck in an enemy).

The nails as you say are quite the pain to remove in the heat of battle, especially when the enemy is still doing its level best to kill us! I very much prefer the theme of a chisel charm that can amplify our strikes, serve as a handhold when we are falling off the mountain or when we need that sharp break from a dead sprint, among other useful things we can do with it.

Hold on, are you trying to sexualize tools?

Of course not! Waifus are required to keep our hammerson from being bored with only us. He deserves to have other stimulating companions!

An excellent suggestion! A toolset charm to pair with our hammer to get the choice parts from our hunts efficiently! The crabs think their armored shells can keep their tastiest secrets? I think not!

Last edited:

Kong Zhi's next Fractal View transformation mode will be to turn into a crab, mark my words.

That's a possibility, another one is to make an entire body for Chui Dao?
We could potentially make a charm that's designed so that it can affect the world easier, so why not a body made of steel?

Make it out of mundane steel, the Sapling where the Wood/Life makes it more lifelike/natural. Add Steel aspected items to provide malleability so it's easier for Chui Dao to manipulate.

Could also make a "stuffed toy" with the Deer hide, add a beast material so that it can easily take the shape of animals. It'd be adorable until it jumps at you and turn into a porcupine.

What unfathomable wisdom is this?
-A test to sus out carcinzation from our body? (Of course, the abominable crabs have no tongues!)
-Insights into masochism anam using our tongues? (Dear Sister Xiong [hail!] help!)
-Has it been licking things that shouldn't be licked? :oops:
-Kicked in the family jewels during training? (Mei, be more gentle please! Brother Zhuan don't come any closer!)
-A critical move in a Garden game? (Finally we shall have a win against the illustrious Zhuan Kun)

Echoes of the Enlightened (Lit Lantern)
Monk Charm ??? (Light, Beauty, Deception)
A peculiar lantern that is lit with a green flame. Giving off a pale light, there seems to be no reason to use this particular lantern over other, more effective, versions. Many have tried to coax into doing something to no avail. Why was this built? What does it do?
They came for enlightenment, and wept at its cost. Unwilling to sacrifice, unable to return. Be cautious when intruding upon their haven.

Kong Ves in: The Greatest Superpower (commission)
A/N: A big thanks to the 48 people who have pledged to me on Patreon! If you'd like to join them, you can do so here.

Welcome back to commisisons, everyone! And today, we've got an old favorite revived! We're back to the strange and for some reason much beloved adventures of Kong Ves! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I highly recommend you go back and read the previous ten, because otherwise you're about to have no idea what's going on. TLDR if for some reason you want to jump in on part 11: I get Isekai'd into Zhi's body on day one of the quest and proceed to make terrible life choices. That trend will continue in this round.

The first Kong Ves chapter can be found here. The previous one is here.

Hope you enjoy!
------------------

Much to my never-ending annoyance, the Delving Heart doesn't exactly stock aspirin here in the Tripart World. That means that when I wake up from Zhuan Kun decisively putting me to sleep, there's nothing quick at hand that I can gulp down to make the pain go away. I'm stuck self-medicating, and as luck would have it, there are two things waiting for me when I regain consciousness that do a lot to help push my headache to the back of my mind.

One: the post duel feast. Ming Hui might be new at this whole 'immortal' thing, but he's got the chef part down. A good steak will do a lot to make head trauma seem less pressing.

But more importantly, two: the humility of a fucking blueblood.

"Kong Zhi," Huo Shi manages to get out from between clenched teeth. "I… am deeply sorry for my rash words. The Kong Clan is a growing pillar of our Empire, and casting aspersions on their character was a mistake born of ignorance. It will never happen again."

The scar faced noble's eyes are looking anywhere but at me. Eventually they find a home on the ground at my feet, which he stares at with enough intensity that he might turn it to solid stone. His posture screams of his rage and his hands are balled into fists which he has tucked behind his back. He looks just like a toddler being forced to apologize for drawing on the walls that doesn't get why he has to because their art was so pretty.

Oh, fuck yeah. This was worth the pain.

Behind Huo Shi stands the rest of his team. Unlike their leader, Zhuan Kun has no problem meeting my gaze. His own is nearly impossible to read as he studies me. Beside him, Mo Hanying is smiling demurely as she very carefully looks anywhere but at me- which has to mean that she's studying me closest of all, probably wondering how I'm going to handle my complete victory.

Because this whole duel has been nothing less than that: a complete and utter victory. I may have lost, but I lost to one of the premier martial disciples in our circle who I volunteered to fight- and I even drew blood! Not a soul here will think less of me for getting my ass kicked. And while I was getting fucked up to the nth degree, my carefully chosen teammates who I've spent every waking moment preparing with utterly decimated the rest of the team. Huo Shi- and by proxy- Mo Hanying lost this whole thing by any conceivable measure.

But that does beg the question: how am I going to handle this? A normal person would grumble something about accepting the apology and move on, allowing Huo Shi to get up and go on with his life. A social manipulator like Mo Hanying would go and embrace Huo Shi as a brother. She'd lift him up, refuse his apology, and say that both of them have learned valuable life lessons today, hoping that by affecting humility it would endear her to everyone here and make her stock rise even further.

Honestly, that'd be the best course of action. It'd be the smart thing to do. It might do a little bit to bridge the gap I've formed with Mo Hanying's growing faction and would definitely signal that I'm not holding anything against them. It might even allow us to do business in the future!

I consider it for a few heartbeats. I honestly do! But… well, I haven't gotten to this wonderful position I now hold by doing the smart thing.

"Huo Shi," I answer, fighting the urge to sing his name. "I don't think you've upheld the terms of our agreement."

The noble's eyes snap to mine, fire burning behind them. "What?!" he snarls. "I've retracted my words and offered naught but praise for your clan! How have I-"

"Oh, the problem is not with your words," I reply. "But with how you've presented them."

Huo Shi's eyes go wide as he remembers the screaming match that preceded this whole duel. "Surely you cannot-"

"Oh, but I do," I respond. "Your apology does not count unless you are on. your. knees."

The training ground, which had been alive with dozens of conversations, falls silent as if it was a birdcage that has just had a heavy blanket thrown over it. Mo Hanying's mouth drops open from sheer surprise and behind me, I can almost feel Mei Daiyu's grin like a tangible thing.

Yeah, this is almost one hundred percent the wrong move. But fuck it.

Huo Shi looks from face to face, searching for a way out. But all he finds is shock and surprise from those gathered- not one seems angry on his behalf or like they might protest the smallest amount. Even his teammates don't offer him an escape. Mo Hanying answers his pleading with a slight twitch that might be a shrug, and Zhuan Kun…

Zhuan Kun doesn't move a muscle. He's still staring at me, and it's honestly starting to get a little uncomfortable. Is… is he even thinking of anything right now, or is it just all elevator music going on back there? I take a slight step to the side and fight back a frown when his gaze tracks me. Fuck, what is his deal?

I don't get a chance to find out before Huo Shi gives in. With a look on his face that makes me think I've threatened to kill his family in front of him if he doesn't comply, the noble drops down to one knee, then the other.

...huh. He actually did it. Can't say I expected that.

"Kong Zhi," he repeats. "The remorse I feel for my foul words is endless. I should have known better than to cast aspersions on the character of the Kong. Please, accept this one's humble apologies, and his vow to know better in the future." Then he drops down, pressing his forehead against the ground in supplication.

Alright, well, holy fuck, I didn't expect him to go that far. Maybe he thought I'd ask him to do it again to wring a third apology out of him? That… yeah, that sounds like a great idea honestly. Could I still do it? Maybe get some teeth gnashing and regretful wailing in there?

No, no, that's too much- by which I, of course, mean that I don't think pressing any more will get me anything but another duel. So I offer a short nod. "Your apology is accepted, Huo Shi. My thanks for your sincerity. Please, rise, and let this incident never be thought of again."

From the glare on his face as he stands, he's not going to forget this any time soon, and neither is anyone who saw it. I'm pretty sure the rest of the circle is going to hear about it in record time, too, and none of them will forget it either. But honestly, I can't bring myself to care.

Mo Hanying? Yeah, I'll have to watch out for her later. But as for Huo Shi himself? That glorified background character can just fuck right off.

And fuck off he does. The moment he's sure I'm not about to demand he self-flagellate, he's off the ground and spinning on his heel, wiping dirt off his forehead as he goes. Huo Shi presses through the crowds and stalks off, seeking to be anywhere but here. I don't get a chance to watch him go before Nokai and Mei Daiyu are on me, pulling me into a makeshift huddle.

"That was the greatest thing I have ever witnessed in my life," Mei Daiyu nearly screams. "And if one of my past lives claimed to have seen something better, I would call them a liar and a fool."

Nokai, on the other hand, is chewing her lip, a worried expression on her face. "Huo Shi deserves," she grunts out. "Others not like. Kong Zhi not allies today."

"I cannot find it in my heart to care right now," I answer dryly. "I mean, yes, later, I will probably kick myself for this and rue the day I did not think things through, but for now? Today has just gone swimmingly. Besides, do I really need more allies? We're still friends, right?"

A quick nod from Nokai and a smile so bright that I see stars from Mei Daiyu are my answers. "And Ming Hui's still my friend. So that's really all I care about right now. I'll worry about the rest of the circle later, and…"

I trail off as I realize that we're not alone.

Zhuan Kun is still staring at me.

I stare back at him for a moment before dropping my head back into my team's huddle. "Do you mind staying here for a few moments while I see what Zhuan Kun wants?"

Mei Daiyu's eyes narrow. "Do you suspect that he means you harm?"

I pause to consider the question. Do I think that Zhuan Kun wants to fuck me up again? No, not really- but then again, what do I really know about Zhuan Kun?

Not much.

Of the three lions of the Ninth Circle, he's by far the one I spent the least time visualizing. Mo Hanying is the careful schemer. Geng Tu is a mafioso. But Zhuan Kun? Path Proper never really got into him, but Ct always had plans which is terrifying as fuck. So for all I know, he could legitimately want nothing more than to grind my bones into protein powder- which, now that I think about it, is terrifyingly likely.

"I doubt it, but it is certainly on the table," I respond. "Just… can you stay here for a few moments? Just in case?"

Two sharp nods and four canine ga-ruffs are my answer, and I nod in turn at each of them. "Alright, team. This has been productive. Break!" I'm physically incapable of keeping myself from clapping as we break the huddle, much to the confusion of my two apparently loyal bodyguards.

With them at my back, I feel confident enough to walk over to the perpetually shirtless Zhuan Kun. "Good afternoon, Zhuan Kun. Is there something else you require?"

The noble doesn't blink as he studies me. "During our spar, you stated that you lacked a single technique save your neophyte martial training. Were you speaking true?"

...of course he sees the most physical confrontation of my life as a spar. He's probably being generous towards me when he says that, too. I shrug off the feelings his words stir and nod. "Yes, I was. I've yet to find even the simplest technique that matches my core."

"Why?" comes the quick answer. "If you were capable of taking the Soldier's Step so quickly, finding suitable techniques should not even be a challenge."

"Because I cannot find those just by wandering through the tunnels," comes my frank answer. I mean, I can. But I can't just say that. Besides, I don't think any of the random technique drops I wrote match the Core of the Sunkissed Vanguard, so they wouldn't do me much good. "I would need a library or an archive, and my access to those is limited."

Zhuan Kun's entirely too-piercing gaze gains a questioning quality. "Why so?" he asks, his tone informing me that refusing to answer is not an option. "The Kong family has a library. Why have you not taken advantage of it?"

Telling the truth- that I want to keep my interactions with the Kongs to a minimum out of fear of them finding out that I'm wearing their little boy like a skin suit- is out of the question. So instead, I shake my head and say something else that sounds plausible. "They wish for me to build my own foundation. Kongs must prove they can stand on their own two feet before the family aids them."

That's the biggest load I've ever shoveled, but Zhuan Kun seems to buy it. "Laudable," he states. "But inconvenient."

"Oh?" I answer. "How so? I am sure I will find appropriate techniques once we begin the tests for the next circle."

"That is true," Zhuan Kun allows. "But until then, you are worthless as a sparring partner. You have some small martial talent-" he pauses to swipe at his now-fixed nose "-but until you are able to fully leverage your core, you will not be able to stand as a worthy opponent."

...that doesn't really sound like a me problem, but I don't say that outloud. I've pissed off enough nobles today. "Oh, I see," I say instead. "What a shame. Perhaps later, we will be able to spar again. Once I've integrated suitable techniques, I-"

"In two weeks."

"-will certainly… wait, what now?"

Zhuan Kun does not blink as he repeats himself. "We will spar again next week, once you have integrated suitable techniques. If you apply yourself as you have in learning your friends martial styles, I see no reason why you should not be able to properly wield a technique by then."

All I can do is blink in Zhuan Kun's resolute face. "Except, of course, that I lack such techniques, and any means to get them-"

"That problem is easily solved," Zhuan Kun responds. Then, without another word, he lifts his hand and snaps his fingers.

"Yes, Lord Zhuan?"

holyfuckwheredidYiTaicomefrom?!

"Kong Zhi is in need of techniques that match his aspects. Confer with him, determine what he needs, and acquire them. He will need them by noontime tomorrow."

Ok, that's a fucking insane demand. Finding techniques is the work of months if not years! Even if he just so happened to have the perfect techniques in his home library, having them copied and sent here would take weeks on their own! Having them issued in less than twenty-four hours is fucking nuts. I shake my head and rock back on my heels, waiting for Yi Tai to graciously let his master down-

"Of course, Lord Zhuan!" Yi Tai chirps. He spins on me and offers a half-bow. "Tell me, Lord Kong, what aspects you require, and we shall see it done."

"Um…" is the only thing I can muster. "I've forged the Core of the Sunkissed Vanguard..."

A pad is in Yi Tai's hands. "I'm unfamiliar with that core. What are its components?" he asks, his voice clipped with efficiency.

"Uh…" I start, still feeling numb at the pace this conversation has taken. "Sun, Victory, Force, and Ste-."

"Steel, yes," Yi Tai says, finishing my thought. "The Core of the Steelbright Conqueror."

...what?

"An able combination," he continues, bulldozing over that abomination of a name that he's given my core. "A runner will find you before noon tomorrow with a token."

Oh. Right. I did give Zhuan Kun a superpower. One that has little to do with any anam or aspect. One of the most potent known to man.

He's rich as fuck.

But do I really want to accept his largesse and obligate myself to spar with him in exchange? It feels… cheap, somehow. Like I'm accepting a handout I've not earned. Not to mention that it will mean that my martial training will be continuing whether I like it or not. Taking this… well, it's not an offer, but I guess it would be heeding this demand? Regardless, going along with Zhuan Kun will finish off the whole 'laying low' plan I had mapped out for myself. Granted, that plan is hanging on by a thread, but this will snip that last little tether and lock me solidly in the public eye.

Should I do it?

...why the fuck am I asking this question?

"Excuse me, sir?" I answer, interrupting Yi Tai before he can leave. "While you are at it, could you gather techniques of Night, Beast, Sun, and…" I turn and glance at Mei Daiyu, whose eyes are almost as wide as my own. "Royalty. Night and Royalty, Beast and Sun. Could you gather those techniques as well?"

The secretary turns to his lord, who considers the question and offers a shrug. Yi Tai turns back to me. "It will be a pleasure, Lord Kong. My thanks for this added challenge."

Of course I should.
-------------------
Enjoying Kong Ves? The next one can be found here!

Last edited:
Back