The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

I'm really excited for us to start taking the Farmer's step. It sounds like there's going to be a lot of options and different directions we can take it. From Kumi:

"And so the Farmer's Step was taken. In it, the Artists carved channels in their spirit much as they carved channels for water in their fields. Using these channels, they bridge the gap between their Spirit Loci, reopening the sources of power that closed when the Soldier's Step was taken. Doing so not only greatly increased their endurance, but it also took them to a realm above mere Soldiers."

"Each Farmer is different," Kumi confides in you. "As every field is different, every Artist's body is different. You will need to carve channels through your spirit to join your core with each of the other eight Spirit Loci if you wish to reach peak Farmer. You can do so with your own anam, with anam from wonders if you wish greater attunement, according to specific patterns that will aid with other techniques-" She shakes her head. "There is a lot to decide. All I can really tell you for certain is that it will take a very long time and that it…"

Kumi also told us another time that the Farmer's Step is easier if you've integrated more techniques.

Some ideas:
  • We'll be linking Spirit Loci together, so I guess we'll get to chose which loci we link to? I wonder if we can only link the loci to the one we picked, for a maximum of 7 channels, or if we can get benefits from linking every loci to every other loci (for a total of 28 possible channels). Maybe there are even channels that aren't between loci?
  • It sounds like channels can be attuned by creating them at a wonder, the same way our core is. We might want to deliberately add some additional anam types that we find interesting.
  • There's some hints that techniques are linked to channel formation. I wonder if we'll be able to some how use specific techniques to form a channel and get benefits (maybe for that specific technique and it's insight-improved descendents, or maybe for for the anam types associated with that technique...). That might explain why Siani wanted us to have techniques for each of our core elements: if you use techniques to create channels, you might be missing out on big opportunities for synergy if you can't match your core elements.

Ves said we'd recognize any materials worth sending back IC. We never did, including stuff from the True Hate of the Moloth. I'm pretty sure the only way to get such a mat would have been an explore roll or getting *really* lucky on the village gacha, which is more expensive but more random than the sect market.

We'll be linking Spirit Loci together, so I guess we'll get to chose which loci we link to? I wonder if we can only link the loci to the one we picked, for a maximum of 7 channels, or if we can get benefits from linking every loci to every other loci (for a total of 28 possible channels). Maybe there are even channels that aren't between loci?
We can have more than 7 channels:

Kong Shuren pauses. This servant is perceptive- either that or he is wearing his heart on his sleeve more than usual. Most likely the former. Curiously, he sweeps out with his Sixth Sense, pressing on the servant. She bears the core of a Soldier and a dozen channels, pushing her well into the Farmer's Step.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but did we ever give xu back his charm?

Yes, we delivered the Widow's Ward to Xu Yun during our Social action with him during the week after the Duel of Crafter Champions.

Which reminds you- you reach up and unhook the Widow's Ward from around your neck. It's many beads jingle merrily as you weigh it in your hand. "Since you've enough points for your Wonder, does that mean you will be taking your charm soon?"

Xu Yun's eyes linger on the cords in your hand. "Yes, actually! Now that I no longer need the extra points for my core, I would be more than happy to finish our arrangement." He reaches out for the charm but then pauses, slowly drawing his hand back. "Though I should warn you that I will not be taking many sect assignments this week; I have other plans, and then I will be cycling at the Sanctuary. Your payment will suffer accordingly. Are you certain it's alright for me to have this now?"

You consider his words carefully. He has a point; if he's not planning on taking assignments this week, that's one week of your arrangement wasted. But you do want to have this transaction finished. Having an outstanding balance in your ledger bothers you in a way you aren't able to physically describe. Perhaps another compromise is in order? "Why don't you take it now," you begin. "But you don't start our accounting until next week. That way, you don't have to wait any longer to get access to what's yours and I still receive a fair payment."

Xu Yun thinks for a moment but then nods. "That sounds more than fair." Again, he extends his hand, but this time you drop the Widow's Ward into it. It rests on his palm with a faint tinkling of beads that almost sounds like a muffled sob. Xu Yun pays no attention to what it sounds like; he merely fastens it around his neck.

174. The Mo Hanying Invitational
A/N: A big thanks to the 43 people who have pledged to me on Patreon! If you'd like to join them, you can do so here. Or, if you'd like to suppor me without the monthly commitment, you can buy me a cup of Ko-Fi here.
> Stand and greet everyone loudly and clearly. Speak about charmcrafting and it's potential, it's nature as art and creation. Talk about the competition and how it's not simply a demonstration a skill but a forum in which to demonstrate the drive to excel. Finally show respect to each contestant and their team in turn.
------------------------
Mo Hanying wishes for you to deliver a speech? Very well. She will have her speech.

You rise out of your chair and stride forward, taking center stage behind the judge's table. The few conversations that have sprung up in the brief moments since you made your entrance die down as you raise your hands, calling for everyone's attention. What feels like a thousand pairs of eyes all turn to you, and for a moment you freeze, as if you are a hare in the center of a hungry wolfpack.

The sensation leaves you as quickly as it arrives. After all, what fear do you need to have of public speaking? It may not be your forte, but you have done things that make saying a few words look trivial in comparison. You've faced off with a Vestige born from the hate of a dead civilization. You stood against a Spirit Beast that wanted nothing more than to devour your flesh. You have even managed to get through an entire conversation with Sister Xiong without needing to worship her! The collected attention of the Eighth Circle? It is as challenging to you as sanding a board.

"Thank you all for coming to this celebration!" you begin. "For that is what Mo Hanying has organized today- a celebration of charmcrafting."

Murmurs spread through the crowd as your words wash over them, but you are far from finished. "Charmcrafting does not have the flare of the combat arts. Nor does it attract those who hunger for advancement like Refining. But what it is, is Artistry in its purest form. It is the perfect marriage of power and beauty, the likes of which those other paths cannot hope to match."

"A technique only lasts as long as it's Artist. A pill? It is gone the moment it is used. But a charm? A charm endures. A charm allows an Artist to live beyond their lifespan, to show all who bear witness to their work their true self, even if that self has long since joined it's ancestors."

"But this is no mere celebration," you continue, turning your focus to the final competitors. The reactions to your words among them are as varied as the shades of a rainbow, and you ignore them all as you speak. "It is a contest. It is a forum for these competitors to pit their talent, skills, and very souls against each other. All of them have been met with adversity, and all of them have overcome it to arrive here on this stage at the threshold of victory."

"All of you," you conclude, now speaking directly to the contestants. "Have done remarkably well to make it as far as you have. All of you have earned the right to be called a charmcrafter already. But you all still have one final challenge ahead of you. And I am truly excited to see the fruits of your labor."

You take a moment to survey the contestants, meeting their eyes, and truly seeing them. Then you smile, and speak.

"May the best charmcrafter win."

With that, you turn on your heel and march, making your way back to your seat. As you drop down, Mo Hanying leans slightly in your direction. "Ably done, Kong Zhi," she mutters. "I suppose I should not be surprised to see such eloquence from you from time to time."

"It is about charmcrafting," you respond. "When it comes to such an important topic, you should never expect anything less than my best."

The noble's lips quirk in a slight smile. "If I thought otherwise, I never would have asked you to sit where you are sitting. Now, let us all bring our best for the remainder of the contest."

Something in her words gives you pause. 'Us all'? You were under the impression she and Fan Zhao were sitting here merely to observe. "...is this final round of judging a group effort, then?" you ask.

"Oh, no, perish the thought," Mo Hanying responds, waving away your words with a negligent gesture. "This is your show, Kong Zhi. Fan Zhao and I are merely here to offer our thoughts, to be a sounding board. Think of us as… your assistants for today. Who knows? Perhaps we will be able to help you see things from a different point of view?" Beside her, Fan Zhao grunts in agreement.

"...I see," you respond, shrugging to yourself. Perhaps she's right. Either way, you will find out soon. "Shall we get this underway?"

"We shall!" the tournament sponsor purrs. She turns to Wei Rong, who lurks behind her chair even now. "Summon the first competitor, if you would be so kind."
The first charm brought before you is one after your own heart.

Sitting on the table in front of you is a small disc the size of Xue's paw. It is so dark that it seems to absorb light, with only carefully engraved designs on the front and back revealing that it is a physical object, and not a small hole in reality. When you pick it up, your fingers are greeted with the familiar texture of onyx. Ivory is inlaid on one side, forming a depiction of the sun fading over the horizon, and runes of sapphire festoon the other.

You hold the charm carefully, getting a feel for its weight and density before you start dancing it up and down your knuckles like a coin. Once it has made a full journey without falling, you palm it and look up at it's creator. "Song Douyan, please present your final entry."

The dark-haired belle bows low, carefully fixing her heavy braid before straightening back up. "Lords, Lady, today I bring you a charm of my own design: the Stalwart Shade."

Song Douyan reaches out and you obligingly pass the disc back to her. Once it's in her hand, she pins it between thumb and forefinger and begins to channel. "This token is carved from one large onyx stone," she states as her breathing changes. "The runes are inlaid with sapphire and ivory, with the sapphire being mundane and the ivory coming from a mind-aspected Spirit Boar. After the token and runes were completed, the entire thing was anointed with the Moment of Shadow I acquired in an earlier competition."

You glance over to Fan Zhao. The burly charmcrafter leans over to explain. "Two rounds ago, I charged them to find a material that did not come from a Spirit Beast. Song Douyan's entry was a moment of crystalized darkness, which she trapped in a bottle of obsidian."

"Of course," you respond with a nod. That's just smart thinking. Using glass would allow the darkness to escape, but obsidian? Storing darkness in that will only make it grow in strength as time passes.

"I repeated the process every evening at the stroke of midnight," Song Douyan continues. "And continued until all of the Shadow was gone. The final result sits before you: a token that, when you cycle anam through it and touch it to your shadow…"

The contestant drops to one knee, pressing the token against the darkness streaming behind her. As you watch, Song Douyan's shadow seems to distort and stretch. Inky darkness thickens and grows, reaching out as if attempting to embrace the entire audience. Several gasps erupt from the onlookers, but the shade falters well before it reaches them.

Instead, it turns and grasps the tools off one of the empty workstations. Like a snake, it snaps them up and retracts, returning to Song Douyan's side like an obedient pet. The tools fly up as the shadow loses its extranatural thickness, letting Song Douyan pluck them from the air with ease.

"...your shadow becomes a faithful companion," she concludes. "Capable of reaching out and manipulating the world around you. It can be used for day to day activities or in more martial pursuits, should you practice sufficiently with it."

Song Douyan bows again. "Thank you for your time. It has been an honor demonstrating my work."

There is a small ripple of applause from the audience. You allow it to fade naturally before springing into the questions. "Why a token?" you ask. "Could this not be made into a bracelet or other jewelry?"

"It could be," Song Douyan responds. "But keeping it in token form allows greater flexibility. One can still wear it on a bracelet or an anklet if they so choose, or they could have it sewn into their robes or hidden in the bottom of their shoes should they wish to be able to deploy it at a moment's notice."

Sensible. "How heavy is the draw?" you ask.

The ghost of a frown passes over Song Douyan's face. "Considerable," she admits. "The size of the token prevented the use of any passive absorption runes, necessitating the user to provide all anam needed."

You lean back, mulling over the answer, and Fan Zhao leans forward. "Interesting work," he intones. "But why sapphire? Could you not have lessened the draw with pearl or increased its power with moonstone?"

"Perhaps," Song Douyan allows. "But I deemed that the water-aspect sapphire is naturally attuned to added extra flexibility- and it was more aesthetically striking."

You nod at that. Again, very good thinking from Song Douyan.

Mo Hanying has no questions. Instead she just beams down at the charmcrafter. "Your piece is very cunningly designed. I just wanted to take this moment to thank you for your participation in my contest. It has been an honor to host you, and this tournament has been greater for your inclusion."

Song Douyan bows again, even deeper this time to hide the flush of her cheeks. "I assure you, my lady, that the honor has been entirely mine."

Further applause breaks out as you give the Stalwart Shade one last glance before setting it to the side. Interesting work. The anam needed to activate it precludes extended use, and the runework means that actually using it combat would require significant concentration, perhaps even a detrimental amount, but overall? A fairly worthy entry into this contest. The standard the others must best is an impressive one.
The next charm laid before you could not look less like the glossy token that came before it.

Siau Satai's charm looks like… well, it looks like a box. But not a polished exemplar of a box like your Dance, just… it just looks like a box. An unfinished box at that, seeing as it lacks a top. The entire thing is made of unfinished, worn wood that has been skillfully joined into a greater whole. Perhaps Siau Satai has placed more of her focus on the runework, but you cannot tell. You cannot see a single rune anywhere on the piece.

They must be inside of the box- buried under what looks like five pounds of earth.

But you know better than to judge a charm simply by it's appearances. You glance from it to the green-ribboned disciple beaming up at you. "What have you brought today, Siau Satai?"

The disciple's smile dims slightly as she steels herself, but then it returns broader than ever as she begins. "For my final charm, I carved several planks for a wood and sound aspected material and joined them together using glue that also contained dust from the sawing process. I then carved runes with a miststeel chisel, coated the interior with resin fashioned from life-aspected sap, and filled it with earth-aspected soil. The result is what sits before you. I call it the Sociable Gardener."

"I… see," you slowly respond. "And what does your Gardener do?"

"It's quite simple, Lord Kong!" she practically squeals. "Allow me to demonstrate."

With a flourish that surprises you, Siau Satai reaches into her belt sash and produces a practically miniscule seed. "In my hands I hold a perfectly ordinary flower seed that was kindly donated by the villagers above," Siau Satai proclaims. "There is nothing out of the ordinary about it whatsoever. But watch." Without further delay, she turns and buries the seed deep in the soil with a practiced press of her thumb.

Then she stands back and… begins to clap.

The effects aren't immediately obvious. You are left staring at an empty box of dirt, wondering what exactly you are supposed to be seeing. But as Siau Satai's applause picks up speed, you realize exactly what her charm is doing.

In the center of the dot, a spout of green begins to form. It curls as Siau Satai applauds it, forming one leaf, then another. A third leaf joins it- and then a bud. Another bud is soon to follow. Then before your eyes, both explode into bloom, revealing glorious orange blossoms that stand over the pot like small balls of flame.

"The Sociable Gardner absorbs ambient sound and turns it into growth," Siau Satai explains, reaching down and plucking the flower from its resting place. "The louder the area, the faster whatever is planted within it grows. It can serve as a growth box for anything from simple flowers to crops- though of course, it would need to be larger should you wish to plant anything in any great number."

Once her demonstration is well and truly concluded, Siau Satai passes you her planter for inspection. You pull some of the dirt back to inspect the runes, nodding as you do so. They are rough. Very rough. You would have been ashamed to have carved runes such as these when you were nine summers old. But Siau Satai is not you. She's entirely untrained. And for her level of training, they are extremely well done.

The layout is interesting as well. Siau Satai clearly took inspiration for her rune design from several diagrams- you can make out the Elk School in quite a few places- but they are joined together in an unorthodox layout. She is really quite talented.

You turn your focus from the planter to the charmcrafter herself. After giving her a reassuring smile, you launch right into the questions. "Can this be used for spiritual herbs, or is it only mundane plants?"

"It can serve as a bed for anything," Siau Satai insists. "Though you would need richer soil if you wished to grow anything with aspected properties."

"Oh? Richer soil?" you press. "So the soil helps dictate what can grow?"

"Of course," comes Siau Satai's nonplussed response. "Plants don't just grow anywhere. When a plant grows, it sucks the life from the dirt. The more life you have in the soil, the hardier the plants can get."

You lean back to let Mo Hanying and Fan Zhao take their turns. They ask nothing new, and Siau Satai steps back, leaving the Sociable Gardner sitting on your desk. You give it one last glance then set it aside.

It is very, very rough, and she is certainly overselling its ability to grow spiritual herbs. In fact with her containment runework, you are fairly certain that there will be too much contamination for that to be viable, outside of aspects that match the Gardener's. But still, there is promise there.
The next charm brought before you to judge is too large to fit on your desk. In fact, it is too large for any one disciple to carry it. Instead it is brought in by a team of five disciples. One hoists the charm from each corner while the fifth stands beneath it, bracing it on his back. They place it down gently in front of you before backing away, allowing you to give it a full inspection.

What sits before is four sixths of a room. It is nothing more than three large walls and a floor, each formed from dozens of planks of weathered wood. Runes of every shape and size festoon the planks and your eyes dart from surface to surface, cataloguing each one as quickly as you can spot it. Runes for strength and stability cover the bottom of each wall, glyphs of wind and fire line the top, and practically everything else sits in between. You spot runes for light projection, healing, and even a few for food preservation all things- and that's just as a quick glance.

There is precious little ornamentation in the room. The wood itself is beautifully carved and shaped- if you had a worse-trained eye, you doubt you would even see the joins- but that is about the extent of the artistry on display safe for a few daring sweeps on the upper edges of the outer walls.

It does not take a genius to know who made this charm. You turn to the one responsible and offer a nod. "What have you brought for us today, Boli Guozao?"

The diminutive disciple bows low in your direction, never taking his eyes off of you as he does so. "This, Lords, Lady, is the fruit of my labors. I call it a Proving Ground, and it is a training room charm. An Artist that walks into their proving ground will find tests there that will push them to their limits and beyond. An hour spent in a Proving Ground can grant you benefits comparable to an entire day's worth of training."

"Bold claims," you state. "Are you prepared to demonstrate them?"

"I am," comes the response, Boli Guozao's light voice strong and determined. "But a Proving Ground is no simple charm. While general ones can be created, for best results, each Proving Ground must be tailored to its user. To best demonstrate its effectiveness, I have asked the disciple it has been designed for to attend and showcase his… unique training needs."

A small cry of surprise sounds from the crowd. It grows and grows until the attentive air that had filled the stadium is completely gone, subsumed by surprise as Zhuan Kun makes his appearance. Wide eyes and slack jaws follow the noble as he strides forward, ignoring everyone around him as if they are so many chirping insects.

Only three people in the entire amphitheatre seem less than surprised to see the Zhuan scion here: you, Boli Guozao, and Mo Hanying. The latter greets her peer with a slight incline of the head which the martial Artist answers with a sharp nod.

But Zhuan Kun does not trade pleasantries with anyone else. He simply brushes by the collected disciple and, without pause, walks directly into the Proving Ground. Once he is properly positioned, he glances at Boli Guozao.

The look is the only signal the architect needs. He reaches up and presses a glyph on the outside of the box- before leaping away, as if his charm might spontaneously combust.

As you quickly discover, Boli Guozao's reaction may have perhaps been a restrained one. The Proving Ground bursts to life. Golden figures congeal into being on all sides of Zhuan Kun, each human-shaped and twice as tall as the disciple. Some are barehanded, some carry weapons of silver light, and others lash out with clouds of smog or bursts of fire.

It does not seem to matter what the Proving Ground brings to bear. Zhuan Kun couldn't care less. He smacks the silver weapons from the golden assailants with quick blows, dodging beneath the techniques in one fluid motion as he does so. The unarmed projections are met with palm thrusts and stiff kicks that send them smashing into the walls with enough force that they vanish in clouds of golden light.

You sink into your sixth sense, and watch the anam coalesce into a new projection that forms behind Zhuan Kun. He moves without looking, blocking it even as he leaps onto the shoulders of another, his muscles tensing to absorb the blow. His legs lock around the golden form's neck and twist, ripping it's head from it's shoulders as he rolls back to smash another new attacker with his knees. His motion takes him into a wall, where jade light forms sharp blades to slice at him.

The battle rages on as you watch. Your eyes slowly widen as you take in the display of pure martial skill. Eventually, Zhuan Kun is finally thrown from the Proving Ground by a titanic projection simulating wind techniques. But even then he is not truly defeated; he simply rolls back to his feet and strides forward, ready to enter the charm once again. If it were not for several small wounds on his arms and the fact that he has lost his robes and shirt- you are so happy that you are sitting where you are sitting right now- you would never be able to tell that Zhuan Kun was training at all. He is not even breathing hard!

He exchanges a few words with Boli Guozao before pausing and turning to you. The Zhuan scion considers things for a moment before nodding and jerking his head in Boli Guozao's direction.

"Adequate."

The silence that rocks the arena in response says it all.

Zhuan Kun makes himself scarce after that, taking the Proving Ground with him and leaving you to question Boli Guozao. In truth, there is little to ask that you didn't already have answered in that demonstration. The only flaws you can see in the Proving Ground are it's difficulty to transport and lack of overall artistry. But with it's rune density, you cannot imagine that adding in spatial runes would do anything positive, and the lack of artistry can be chalked up to the sheer scope of the project- or perhaps to the tastes of the charm's new owner.

Zhuan Kun, after all, does not want an ornately decorated training palace. He wants a room that he can fight.

Boli Guozao bows again and makes his exit, leaving you to stare at the giant charm as it rests on Zhuan Kun's back as he carries it away.

It appears you have your first frontrunner.
So far, the charms presented have mostly prioritized function over form. Siau Satai's planter and Boli Guozao's training room have both had the bare minimum of attention paid to their artistry, and Song Douyan's token only has the slightest bit of flare. All three are well-made charms, but not a single one of them would force someone to stop mid-stride to marvel at it's craftsmanship.

The same cannot be said for Xi Weixiao's entry.

On the desk before you sits an elaborately crafted parasol. It's central shaft is gleaming silver, and carved with an elaborate design of flowers in bloom. The design continues on past the shaft, turning into a web of vines that extends down, forming the ribs. The real jewel of the charm however, is the canopy. Stretched between the ribs of the parasol are tides of liquid metal, each rolling and shifting with every motion of the charm. The movement is almost hypnotic.

You are jerked from your near-trance when Xi Weixiao begins talking. "You currently are bearing witness to my greatest creation yet," the half-bandaged artist begins. "Before you sits the wondrous piece known as 'The Futility of Rain'. I invite you to inspect it at your leisure."

With her piece said, she stands back. You reach forward and do as bid, lifting the parasol from the table. "Is this solid metal?" you ask.

"Portions of it are hollow," Xi Weixiao answers, "While others have been alloyed with Spirit Beast bone."

Fan Zhao snorts at that. At Xi Weixiao's look, he says, "An amateur mistake. Alloying steel with Spirit Beast bone will increase the strength of the result, but it renders it too hard to carve runes with any degree of uniformity."

Something hot and angry flashes behind Xi Weixiao's one exposed eye. She turns and offers a short, almost mocking, bow in Fan Zhao's direction. "You would, of course, know best, Lord. Were I foolish enough to alloy the entire thing, your thoughts would have some merit."

She straightens back up and turns to you once more. "However, I am not some rank amateur that would make that mistake. Only the exterior of the parasol was so alloyed. The runes were carved on the inside of the shaft and ribs before being coated with my mixture. Thus, they are not only perfect and uniform, but they are protected from anything that might disrupt them."

"Impressive," you say with a nod. "To do would require you to begin infusion before finishing the metal work. That is a… daring choice. Were you off in your measurements in any way, your entire piece would've suffered a cascading failure."

"Risks must be taken in the name of art," comes the expected response.

...is it wrong that you are starting to gain an appreciation for Xi Weixiao? She is a touch derogatory towards everyone, but she has style.

You are jerked from your appreciation by Mo Hanying clearing her throat. You glance over at your 'assistant', who is leaning forward in her chair. "Your metalwork is beautiful to behold," the noble states. "I could display a piece like this in my sitting room with no shame whatsoever. But I am left with one question."

Mo Hanying glances at the parasol once more before looking back up. "Xi Weixiao, what does it do?"

The charmcrafter pauses at the question, seemingly taken aback. "It… is a perfect marriage of beauty and grace," comes the confused response. "Is that not clear?"

"I can see that," Mo Hanying responds. "And it is lovely. But the fact remains that this is not a simple art show. This is a competition about charmcrafting. What function does your charm perform?"

Xi Weixiao pauses and shakes her head, as if someone has slapped her. "Very well. Observe its most glorious function!" she proclaims. "Observe!"

The contestant reaches down and snatches the parasol from the table, lifting it up over her head. WIth a quick flick of her wrist, it opens in full. The liquid metal making up the canopy responds to the motion instantly. It flows down the ribs of the parasol, beading up at their ends and falling from the charm like molten rain. Tiny beads of metal fall to the earth, only to puddle at Xi Weixiao's feet. The puddle seems to form a column of liquid steel which flows up, meeting the base of the shaft before emerging on top of the parasol once more.

As the metal begins it's cycle anew, Xi Weixiao shoots a triumphant look at Mo Hanying. "See?" she nearly sneers. "Witness the function that can only be performed by a charm!"

"Yes, I can see it," comes the laconic response. "It is, indeed, very pretty. But what purpose does your 'rain' serve?"

The noble fixes Xi Weixiao with a stern look. "Is the metal capable of serving as a defensive measure? Can the metal be manipulated in some way? Does it… does it keep your food cold? Does it serve any practical purpose whatsoever?"

Xi Weixiao, to her credit, refuses to quail from Mo Hanying's obvious displeasure. "Of course it does!" comes the instant response. "It demonstrates the cycle of rebirth! By contemplating it, one can truly enter a more open state of mind and gain new understandings of themselves!"

From the look on Mo Hanying's face, that was not the kind of 'practical purpose' she had in mind.

Before things can get any more tense, you lean forward. "Your metalwork is flawless, and your piece clearly exhibits your vision perfectly. I am impressed, Xi Weixiao. Thank you for sharing your work with us today."

The artist does not stop glaring at Mo Hanying, but she does sketch a slight bow. "The pleasure was mine. Thank you for your time, Fan Zhao, Mo Hanying, Lord Kong." Her gaze doesn't move as she backs away, leaving her Futility of Rain sitting on your table.

You watch her go for a moment before shaking your head and changing your focus. Before putting it to the side, you idly scoop the parasol up and give it one final twirl. It is well balanced and intriguingly designed, but…

The coating of alloyed steel prevents you from getting a closer look at the runes, but judging by how your anam flows through them, they are simple animation and recycling glyphs. If Xi Weixiao had been a touch more economical in her runework, she likely would have been able to alter the animation glyphs to include manipulation of the metal.

Now the question remains: did she not think of such a simple addition? Or did she think of it herself before dismissing it due to its lack of unity with her aesthetic sensibilities?
After the fireworks that were Xi Weixiao's presentation, it is almost a relief when the next charm brought before you could not look more mundane.

He Kwoo strides up to your table with confidence in his step and a polite smile on his face. Tucked beneath his arm is a thick, leather bound tome. The pages are as dark as night and crinkle with each motion of his arm. A silver design decorates the spine, reaching up and forming the trunk of a great tree that extends its branches along both covers.

"Lords, Lady," He Kwoo states. "Thank you for your time. Today, I have brought before you my entry for this final round: the Sketch Eternal. Allow me to demonstrate its power."

The contestant flips the book open, revealing only the borders of the page to be dark. The rest of it is the creamy color of pearl and entirely unmarked. You squint slightly, your attention shifting to the dark border itself. Closer inspection reveals it to not be a simple unbroken line of black; instead, a carefully calculated array of runes fills a line as wide as a piece of string.

You do not get the chance to inspect it any further before He Kwoo calls it into action. "You see before you a simple, empty page," he states. "But through careful use of spatial runes, I see this empty expanse as something different, something just waiting to be filled." He does not cycle his anam at all as he reaches into his pocket, producing a small knife. A quick jerk of his hand buries the blade into the page-

-only there is no stabbing. There is no hole carved into the paper, no wail as He Kwoo ruins his work. Instead the knife seems to shimmer. When He Kwoo lowers his hand, it leaves behind a perfect pencil-sketch of a knife filling up the formerly empty page.

"An interesting design for a stasis charm," you state with a nod.

"But there is not just one stasis charm here, Lord Kong," He Kwoo hurries to correct you. "There are five hundred pages in the Sketch Eternal. Each serves as a separate blank space just waiting to be filled. You can organize your entire household and keep it within these pages without a single drop of your own anam."

The redheaded charmcrafter gestures at his book with a flourish. "It does not take on the weight of what is stored in it. It does not give itself away with a heavy draw of anam. It can store anything at all. Food, shelter, pills, weapons… it matters not. It can all be stowed away in the Sketch Eternal."

He Kwoo bows again. "I submit it to your judgement. Thank you again for your time." With his piece said, he stands back and awaits your questions.

It is not hard to find questions for him. After your recent acquisition of the Wandering Estate and your subsequent conversation with Kumi, stasis charms have been on your mind a great deal. "Does it have a preservation component?" you ask. At Mo Hanying's questioning look, you elaborate. "Does it prevent food from spoiling? Can it be used to stow a Spirit Beast for later butchering?"

After a moment's hesitation, He Kwoo shakes his head. "Unfortunately, I could not find a way to work such runes into the array."

"Still, it is an impressive effort," Fan Zhao breaks in. "It must have taken a great deal of duplication of effort to produce five hundred pages, as well as binding them together in a way that does not disturb the arrays."

"It was but a trivial effort," He Kwoo responds, regaining his poise in a flash. "Though I will admit, it was too much rote work for me to complete on my own. After successfully designing the array and testing it, I enlisted the help of some of my former competitors to aide me in duplication. It is thanks to the aid of Jie Zhenbao and Kan Shuli that I was able to realize my vision."

Two other disciples sitting near the front of the audience stand up, nodding their heads at the recognition. It takes you a moment to place them. One… he was the one who created the beautiful yet soulless recreation of a tree last round. And the other created a well-made but artfully deficient bow. You suppose that if He Kwoo was going to enlist help for the rote work, he could have done worse.

Still, the sight of those other disciples makes you stop and inspect the boom more closely. More questions come to mind. "Can multiple items be stored on the same page?" you ask.

"They cannot," He Kwoo responds. "But with five hundred pages to fill, it will be a long time before an Artist runs out of space-"

"So a pocket knife like what you have already stored here takes up the same amount of space as… let us say a spear, or perhaps a large block of wood," you interrupt. "That seems a touch wasteful."

He Kwoo smiles at your words. "It is an intentional choice for easier cataloging," comes his answer. "One item per page, no matter how large it is, allows the user to better track what is stored where. Another feature, which will be in the next version, will be a table of contents at the front which lists everything stored within. Multiple items per page would make a mess of that system."

So he has sacrificed efficiency… for a feature this charm does not even have?

But you are not done with your inspection yet. You scrutinize a few random pages before looking up, glancing back at the competitor. "Some of these pages are of sub-standard quality," you state, running your fingers over a slight discoloration in the paper. "They won't last more than two or three uses before failing."

The contestant nods as if he expected your words. "Yes, unfortunately, I was forced to spend most of my personal attention on the binding and the cover. The actual pages were pressed by my assistants. However, it is a simple matter to replace pages that have failed. There are fail safes built in to prevent any damage to the rest of the Sketch, and new pages can be swapped in afterwards with only minor effect."

With every word He Kwoo says, he goes more and more against your sensibilities. Sacrificing efficiency for non-existent features? Not attending to every aspect of the charm personally? Waving off potentially ruinous failures as something easy to fix? He might be content to call the page failures a feature, but that means that anything that is stored in the charm could be at risk. His entire approach runs counter to everything you were taught about charmcrafting.

Still, he did put in a great deal of effort, even if it was not as much as you expected from a competitor in his position. You should not castigate him for his failures here. That is what the judging is for. Instead, you simply nod. "Thank you for your entry, He Kwoo. Know that your work is appreciated in the spirit with which it was offered."

With that said, you closed the Eternal Sketch with a thump, placing it on the table and pushing it over next towards the other entries. You will give it final consideration later.
And then there was only one contestant left.

Ta Riou steps up to the table, a determined look on her face. Her jaw is set and her eyes are steel. Whatever her reaction was to seeing your new form has been either banished or suppressed. The only thing important to her now is her work.

You cannot help it- you offer her a slight nod of approval. It is possible that you have never felt a closer kinship with another charmcrafter that you did not share blood with. Ta Riou does not show any reaction to your gesture at all. Instead she reaches forward and places her charm on the table for your inspection.

"Lord Kong, Lady Mo, Lord Fan," she begins. "Thank you for your time. Today, for your judgement, I offer my greatest creation: Sanctity."

The charm Ta Riou leaves behind does not seem worthy of the grand title. It appears to be a simple circle of thick glass. A moment's inspection reveals faint strings of gold thread trapped on the interior of the ring that make up a series of runes. You squint down at them to divine their purpose. Levitation? A touch-translocation display? What effect could those two runes have when combined?

"The glass is mostly made of Twice-Clear Sand," Ta Riou explains, "And the thread is equal parts gold and hair plucked from the mane of a Celestial Steed. Small portions of glass come from sand infused with other elements- mostly earth and fire, but I was able to locate a tiny portion of wave-touched sand at the last moment to grant traces of water and force."

The blonde glassblower lets out a heavy breath, clearly steeling herself. "Please, allow me to demonstrate."

Ta Riou picks Sanctity back up and focuses for a moment. Light flashes in her palm as anam travels from her core and into the charm. The runes glitter with new life while Ta Riou's power makes itself known. Before they sparkle for more than an instant, she reaches up and tosses the charm into the air-

-where it stays. The ring finds a perch a foot above Ta Riou's head and lingers there, ignoring gravity as it sits aloft seemingly without a bit of effort. The charmcrafter takes a step to the side and the ring follows, moving in sync with it's creator.

You are so focused on the ring itself that you barely notice the other things that happen with it's activation. A slight shimmer in the air seems to surround Ta Riou, distorting the light and causing a ripple to surround her shadow as if she was standing outside on the hottest day of the year. The shimmer does not stay confined to Ta Riou for long though; within instants, it has spread out, forming a billowing cloud that fills the area around her with glittering light.

"Sanctity generates a cloud of glass beads, each no larger than a grain of sand," Ta Riou explains, running her hand through the cloud. A pile of clear sand forms in her palm as if to give truth to her words before she lets it run through her fingers. "Each bead is connected to my sense of touch. What they feel, I feel as if I were running my fingers over it."

Oh, a sensory charm? What an interesting idea.

"However, it is no simple sensory charm," Ta Riou states, interrupting your thoughts as quickly as you can form them. "While it can serve as such, Sanctity's true strength only emerges when something begins to move quickly through it's cloud. If Lord Fan could oblige me…"

It takes a moment for Fan Zhao to realize what is being asked of him. But after a gesture at his spear from Mo Hanying, he rises from his seat and hefts his weapon. A strong throw sends it sailing through the air, arcing directly towards Ta Riou-

-where it is met by the image of Heaven's Crown.

A stained glass pane has formed in front of Ta Riou that proudly displays the Delving Heart's most recognizable landmark. Fan Zhao's spear hits it with a crack and freezes, all momentum stolen from the throw by the unexpected obstacle. The spear falls to the ground, leaving only the image of the mountain facing you.

The pane vanishes as quickly as it arrived. "When I feel something moving quickly, Sanctity takes the glass beads and reconstitutes them into a shield," Ta Riou explains. "The size and thickness of the glass change depending on how fast the object pierces the shroud and how much surprise such an intrusion causes me. If it were a small rabbit unexpectedly jumping at me, it would create but a small shield. Were I attacked by a dozen archers, it can form an entire dome as thick as my arm."

Ta Riou lets the silence hang in the wake of her rehearsed speech and then reaches up and plucks the ring from its perch. "I thank you for your consideration," she states, bowing deeply towards you. "I am forever grateful for the opportunity."

She places the charm back on the table and stands back, awaiting questions. They are quick in coming.

"What is the draw?" you ask idly, picking up the ring and studying it more closely.

"Sanctity requires a minimal amount of anam to activate and a minimal amount of energy to stay aloft," comes the prompt answer. "The shield can form a number of times on its own against small intrusions, and after that will require more anam from the user to replenish the shroud and shield."

Fan Zhao is the next to speak. "And did you perform all the labor on this charm yourself?" he asks.

"I did not," comes the almost pained response. "I attempted to, but I was unable to get the sand balance perfect without risking other facets of the charm. Nu Shaying thoughtfully stepped in and assisted me with weaving the thread. Aside from that, the rest of the work was performed with these hands."

The admission makes you look more closely at the thread, but you can find no flaws in it's weaving. Nu Shaying seems to have some talent in the clothier's art. Perhaps if she had attempted to showcase them last round instead of relying on her calligraphy, she would be standing in the final six.

Several more questions are asked of Ta Riou, but she answers all of them with concise responses that put any misgivings you had to bed. When she steps back, she leaves her charm on the table and you with new appreciation for her skills.

Sanctity. What an interesting little invention. Perhaps it has not earned it's grandiose name, but honestly? You cannot think of a more fitting one for it.
With all the presentations complete, you are left to your deliberations. What a fascinating array of charms. You cannot say that you expected to see such high quality work when you agreed to this challenge, but these unaffiliated charmcrafters have surprised you. You would certainly not go as far as to say that some of them would hold their own against your family's craft, but they would certainly be able to compete against anything Jin could bring to bear.

Now all that is left is the most challenging part: selecting a winner.

Both Boli Guozao and Ta Riou are clear standouts. The flexibility and intelligent design of Ta Riou's Sanctity make it a clear frontrunner. However, while Boli Guozao's Proving Ground only does one thing, it does that one thing absurdly well.

But even beyond the two of them, the others did not disappoint. Song Douyan made a perfectly acceptable charm that could be used for a multitude of different purposes. And while you were not a fan of He Kwoo's presentation, his book is still a useful, if unimaginative, piece of charmcraft. Even Siau Satai's planter shows a great deal of potential and Xi Weixiao's work showcases an incredible aesthetic sense.

This will not be an easy decision, but…

"I think the choice here is fairly clear, is it not?

"I concur, Lady Mo. The winner is obvious."

You are dragged from your contemplations by the words of your 'assistants'. Both Mo Hanying and Fan Zhao have leaned in, putting their heads together with yours as they speak. "Excuse me, but what was that you said?" you ask.

"The winner," Mo Hanying explains, gesturing at the table before you. "We are in agreement as to who it should be, are we not?

Fan Zhao nods on your other side, but you could not be more confused. You glance from the charms to Mo Hanying and shake your head. "I… I believe making a decision right now would be premature, Mo Hanying. All of the entrants were impressive in their own way. I will need to deliberate on this for a time before I can-"

"There is no need for that," Mo Hanying interrupts. "But the victor is clearly He Kwoo."

The bluntness of her tone almost distracts you from what she is saying. When it registers, you cannot help but sputter. "He Kwoo?" you repeat. "I... "

"His charm is the most practical," Fan Zhao gravels out. "And shows a great deal of understanding for the principles of charmcraft."

"Not to mention how he did it," Mo Hanying chimes in. "Out of everyone here, he was the only one to truly delegate and make use of the resources provided. He made a charm with others that he could not have made on his own by thinking wisely and gaining the assistance of his fellows. That should be rewarded."

"But… by his own admission, they did substandard work," you slowly answer. It feels like your sanity is slowly slipping away. What are they even talking about? Out of everyone, He Kwoo… he does not stand out in the slightest! "And besides, Ta Riou also received assistance in her work, if that is the criteria you wish to employ."

"Yes, but what did Nu Shaying really do for that charm that another could not?" Mo Hanying asks. "Ta Riou barely trusted her to weave a bit of thread. He Kwoo put his faith in his teammates and trusted them to carry him to victory. I would think that you would appreciate such sentiments, Kong Zhi, considering your own faith in your 'champion'."

You do not really see the correlation Mo Hanying is suggesting here, but you do not get a chance to say as much. The noble preempts your words by reaching out and patting you on the forearm. "Do not fret, Kong Zhi. He Kwoo is clearly the correct choice. Simply name him the winner so that we can unveil the victory feast I have planned."

You stop. You blink. And you stare at Mo Hanying.

There is no ambiguity in what she is asking you to do.

"I thought that I was the proctor here, Mo Hanying," you state.

"Of course you are," comes the almost negligent answer. "But it is as we said earlier: we are here to assist you in seeing things from other perspectives. And from my perspective, He Kwoo is the standout winner that should be crowned champion."

"But if you think otherwise, so be it," she continues, leaning back in her chair and folding her hands, her face a mask of frozen indifference. "You are my chosen expert. I would, of course, never gainsay your decision. If you feel that someone else is a more worthy competitor, then you are free to name them the victor." Behind you, Fan Zhao shifts, and you can feel his eyes burning into the back of your skull.

You force yourself to look away from Mo Hanying and instead, turn your gaze back to the waiting charmcrafters.

What the sponsor of this tournament wants you to do is clear. But your standards as a Kong tell you something entirely different.

But the question before you is simple. Which will you listen to: your instincts or your sponsor?

Who do you name the victor of Mo Hanying's Charmcrafting Invitational?
[] Song Douyan and her Stalwart Shade
[] Siau Satai and her Sociable Gardener
[] Boli Guozao and his Proving Ground
[] Xi Weixiao and her Futility of Rain
[] He Kwoo and his Eternal Sketch
[] Ta Riou and her Sanctity

Last edited:
OK let me get this straight, they get Kong Zhi, the dude known for treating his entire profession as art, and then tell him who should win. Not only that they're telling him to pick the guy who treated his work like a task to be done and not an accomplishment to be lauded or a challenge to be overcome, who did not look upon his desires and tell reality to sit and spin with nothing more than what he could gather and chutzpah.

This is like getting Julia Childs or Gordan Ramsey to sit on a panel and tell them to vote for the guy who made chicken nuggets.

I'm 99% sure this is a test by Mo Hanying, just as it was when she asked for her opinion on that scarf way back when earlier.

She doesn't like doormats. Hei Kwoo would not only go against our Kong sensibilities, it would also reduce Mo's opinion of us.

Damn It Mo Hanying. You can't do this to us. This is charmcrafting. I get it, he did an impressive thing and the book is set up so that when he works on v2 it will be even better. But this version is not amazing. It has some shoddy craftsmanship and the charm is not a complete thing. We told them last time that we would judge the charm they presented not whatever amazing thing they will do next time.

[X] Boli Guozao and his Proving Ground

I am torn between this and Tai's lovely glass thing so I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

[X] He Kwoo and his Eternal Sketch

Even without the pressure, He Kwoo has crafted an amazing piece. The wandering estate is coloring our opinion I think. His sketch Eternal is really really good for their level.

It was either this or Sanctity but in the end anything that gets a thumbs up from Zhuan "My parents probably trained me in a gold plated holodeck" Kun prevails over sentimentality.

[X] Ta Riou and her Sanctity

It's a tough call between this and training room, but Sanctity just has ~style.

I'm 99% sure this is a test by Mo Hanying
Why? Like, what possible purpose would that serve?

Even without the pressure, He Kwoo has crafted an amazing piece. The wandering estate is coloring our opinion I think. His sketch Eternal is really really good for their level.
Zhi is pretty clear on what his problems with it are, and those aren't being made in terms of comparing it to the Wandering Estate.

Zhi is pretty clear on what his problems with it are, and those aren't being made in terms of comparing it to the Wandering Estate.
Yes there are problems, but that doesn't mean the piece isn't a good piece. Just because something runs against our sensibilities doesn't mean that it is a poor showing. He Kwoo has different priorities to us and that is fine. On its own merit a book that can store 500 things is really super useful. And its useful in a wide array of areas.

Mo has used Kong's known behavior of disregarding social niceties in favor of honesty, especially w/r/t charmcrafting, in order to pull some political maneuvering. She has now been seen by Fan Zhao to instruct Kong as to the winner. Mo could have done any amount of horse-trading before the event, made any number of promises, and Fan Zhao will confirm that she attempted to fulfill her part of the bargain. It is our protagonist who will be "blamed" for any fallout.

Luckily, Mo has positioned herself as an ally and so I will overcome my instinct to cause chaos by voting for He Kwoo.

Sorry Mo. He Kwoo's charm was good. But Ta Riou's was on a whole other level.

I'm biased for Proving Ground because of how it can be used to facilitate growth for those who have the time and effort to use it.

I mean, within limits anyway, an Elder could probably break it with an ill-timed fart.

Back