If it had gone on longer, I'm sure that they would have turned Miles into yet another murderous asshole. Kinda glad they ended to Ultimate universe in 2015. Probably because of the MCU stuff, which was perhaps a little closer than perhaps they wanted. MCU Fury was based on Ultimate Fury, for example, if only in looks, although his attitude was a lot closer to Ultimate as well, but not nearly as Evil Vizier as Ultimate Fury was.

Y'know, I find myself wondering if wildbow was a fan of the Ultimate Marvel universe and figured "THAT'S how you do a comic book universe! EVERYONE in it is vile!"

I tried reading some of the Ultimate stuff, and stopped when I realized that no one in the universe was likable. They didn't have foibles and annoying quirks, they all had at least one massively glaring horrid aspect to their personality. I remember he ending of one book when Nick Fury flat out stated that he ruled the world, and actually liked being the actual power behind the throne(s), because no one blamed HIM for screw-ups.
And look up who was responsible for it. Brian Bendis and Mark Millar. Mark Millar is one of those "realistic character"= make them a raging toxic asshole. Or just play the memes straight with zero nuance. See Hank Pym.

Was he the one who ruined the character by having him strike Janet in the original universe somewhere back in the 80s or 90s? Where the writers decided that he was a wife-beater?

Was he the one who ruined the character by having him strike Janet in the original universe somewhere back in the 80s or 90s? Where the writers decided that he was a wife-beater?
No he's the guy who took that and cranked it up to Hank being a serial abuser. Like Betty Ross and Janet were roommates at uni and she recalled Janet having unexplained bruises all the time.

Last edited:
I find it funny that there's authors that everyone loves, who 'do the genre right', leading to things like The Boys, which states that if you have superpowers, you WILL be a monster. Realism, my ass. Is dystopian bullshit from people who can't write regular comics.

I find it funny that there's authors that everyone loves, who 'do the genre right', leading to things like The Boys, which states that if you have superpowers, you WILL be a monster. Realism, my ass. Is dystopian bullshit from people who can't write regular comics.
The kinds of cynical writers who do that generally seem to have some level of Wildbow Syndrome. It really takes a spectacular writer to make that kind of setting work, and even then they have to make it just obvious enough that there's something sinister pulling strings to make everyone go so hard against basic human decency that power would corrupt them that much.

Edit: Frankly, Wildbow kind of made it work, what with Ziz and Contessa mucking with things and general Shard influences what with picking those most likely to get into pointless conflict to have power, so me calling it "Wildbow Syndrome" is a bit of a misnomer, but hopefully I made my point okay enough. I think in The Boys may also have a bit of a pass like Worm does in that Compound V has mental effects that mess with things. But even so, people just don't really like to read a lot of grimdark or grimderp, and even the ones that do can't read too much in one sitting. There is a basic human decency, since the people who would be corrupted by power due to a seared conscience aren't that common, on the level of the fact some legit psychopaths have a conscience they abide by, moral limits even they don't step past, which is one of the things that makes Worm grimderp since Wildbow removed that critical limit from everyone, he made it possible for everyone to surpass their Moral Event Horizon and thus made everyone capable of becoming irredeemably evil.

Last edited:
The kinds of cynical writers who do that generally seem to have some level of Wildbow Syndrome. It really takes a spectacular writer to make that kind of setting work, and even then they have to make it just obvious enough that there's something sinister pulling strings to make everyone go so hard against basic human decency that power would corrupt them that much.
You talking about his attitude to criticism and not the rumors of ill health?

You talking about his attitude to criticism and not the rumors of ill health?
I'm talking about Wildbow's style of writing, I don't have much of an opinion on who he is outside of his writing, specifically Worm and Ward, and don't know much about him at all. I judge a writer's work by the work itself, and Worm is grimderp because he removed every character's basic morals, the kind even psychopaths and sociopaths have, making everyone capable of passing a Moral Event Horizon. So since he made Worm be a world where everyone fundamentally can become irredeemably evil, the setting would be considered grimderp in my perspective. Of course, my perspective could be skewed, others could think differently about Worm, but that's simply how I see the canon setting. 'Tis why I read so much Worm fanfic :p

And Worm is the reason I won't read any of the Maggie Holt stuff he wrote. Magical girl stuff, but given the Worm-verse? Not even going to THINK about Pact or any of the others.

The Boys specifically has a setting where all powers come from a single unethical corporation. One that cares more for profit then human lives, and who actively grooms their top 'heroes' into being sociopaths (at best). And who's Superman analog was raised in a lab by said unethical corporation, groomed from birth to basically be a test subject, and who got shown how to cover up any misdeeds by his corporate minder when he was still a young and impressionable hero. Basically a world where Lex Luthor raised Superman from conception and had a guiding hand in the creation and development of almost all heroes.

The whole point of The Boys is that most of the "heroes" are anything but heroic, and the actual good guys aren't much better.

And Worm is the reason I won't read any of the Maggie Holt stuff he wrote. Magical girl stuff, but given the Worm-verse? Not even going to THINK about Pact or any of the others.
The universal lack of moral rectitude, common sense, self control and his main characters all being born evil of his earlier works are still there.

One thing I find most engaging about The Boys in particular is the contrasting points of view of the series's two main focuses. One is a normal human who does actually have morals who gets pulled into the moral quagmire of Billy Butcher's crusade against the corporation and that setting's Superman epoxy. And the other is a young super who really does have morals and wants to do good, but starts having to confront the moral quagmire of the corporation behind everything and the general corruption of most supers after she gets a spot on the corporate created Justice League style team.

The boys was from the guy who had Punisher shoot Wolverine in the nuts with an RPG. Who also hates superheroes. And created Preacher. Garth Ennis. 😅

Hmm, after reading all the commentary, and doing some research on the names (and what they've created), I can say I have a fair idea of what not to do.

Grimderp? Nope. Moral Event Horizons? Uh-uh. Everyone's a Monster? [Negative] The world's crap, and circling going down the loo? Who do you think I am, Wildbow? Everyone in Authority is incompetent? Bah!

Things have already been mentioned that people haven't commented about, that I was expecting to cause an uproar. Instead, most of the commentary has been about a bunch of professional authors who have dystopian issues, and what happens to the ad-hoc urban combat vehicle...:facepalm:

Eh, win some, lose some. :lol2:

Funny thought, but since Taylor's forcefield applies to whatever she holds, when Leviathan arrives will Armsmaster tell her to hold him like a weapon so he gains the added durability, so you se Taylor waving armsmaster at leviathan who proceeds to wave his halberd at leviathan? :V

Funny thought, but since Taylor's forcefield applies to whatever she holds, when Leviathan arrives will Armsmaster tell her to hold him like a weapon so he gains the added durability, so you se Taylor waving armsmaster at leviathan who proceeds to wave his halberd at leviathan? :V
And then she commandeers a Jeep.

"Drive me closer, I want to hit Leviathan with my Cape!"

Juggernaut has done that in the comics both smart and dumb. None of the makeshift weapons survived the first swing. It grabs the item but doesn't protect it.

Juggernaut has done that in the comics both smart and dumb. None of the makeshift weapons survived the first swing. It grabs the item but doesn't protect it.
is it because juggs did not want to protect it or consider it part of his gear? since the forcefield is explicitly stated to have covered the grabbed shadow stalker the defensive property should be possible to transfer over, kinda like siberian's invulnerability now that I think about it.

is it because juggs did not want to protect it or consider it part of his gear? since the forcefield is explicitly stated to have covered the grabbed shadow stalker the defensive property should be possible to transfer over, kinda like siberian's invulnerability now that I think about it.
To be fair there's not a single power in Worm you can't find in Marvel or DC. I mean Panacea, Skitter, and Grue's powers are copy pasta of Elixir, Insect Queen/Spider-Queen, and Cloak's powers.

I mean Panacea, Skitter, and Grue's powers are copy pasta of Elixir, Insect Queen/Spider-Queen, and Cloak's powers.
Ehhhh. Grue really isn't a copypasta of Cloak, except on a very superficial "they can both make it impenetrably dark in their vicinity" sense.

(Grue can't teleport, dimensionwalk, or banish people to the place his darkness comes from; Cloak can't borrow your powers.)

Juggernaut has to want to protect the item and have the requisite skill and knowledge to control the magic. I highly doubt she will gain the control, faith and magical skill in the two months before Leviathan arrives. I really hope Cytorrak has overwritten or deleted the Wildbow gene out of Taylor.

The primary requirement is Cytorrak allowing her to take up his Ruby and she communes with the God.

Last edited:
I think it is Simmy up next, in Australia as I recall. So sort of a non-issue. Although if they realize Taylor's helmet makes her immune to mental influance they might try throwing Taylor at the alabaster wannabe angel

Ehhhh. Grue really isn't a copypasta of Cloak, except on a very superficial "they can both make it impenetrably dark in their vicinity" sense.

(Grue can't teleport, dimensionwalk, or banish people to the place his darkness comes from; Cloak can't borrow your powers.)
Counterpoint: Cloak started with the impenetrable darkness power (which needed to eat things). Then shenanigans led him to discover he was the conduit for a dimension of darkness (and it's Dark Lord being why he needed to eat things with his darkness) thus the teleporting. Now this happened pretty fast. But like Grue he got more powah after bad stuff happened to him.

Canberra is February 24th, and Brockton Bay was Vista's birthday, May 15th. (Hell of a birthday present, right? Get your home city destroyed because God Jr. wants a fight.)

Back