Mammoth Apostate vs the World 1: "Lost in the Mist"

Edit: Again , consider this the science lite version as I'm no expert on radar/radio jamming and am taking creative license.
A radar reflector can be as simple as three conductive metal triangles welded together to make a corner, and the US Air Force had a missile back in the 60's that could simulate the radar cross section of a B-52 bomber despite being much smaller, the ADM-20 Quail. Granted, that particular missile was havier-than-air and was air-launched from a B-52.

Between the more advanced computers and software, and manufacturing methods, we can probably build a quick-and-dirty radar decoy that works this once. Hell, after we're done here we can probably refine the radar reflector baloon idea to create something like the reflector balloons the Navy pilots confused for UFOs a while back. That's the article that inspired this idea, by the way.

As to Naval threats you know at one time "Patriot's Point" tourist attraction housed the USS Yorktown CV-10 (carrier), the USS Laffey DD-724 (destroyer), & the USS Clamagore SS-343 (sub). Although somewhat butchered over the years to provide walk through attractions, these examples of World War 2 Naval tech are relatively simple in design (read as easily repaired) . They were not seen in port by the SEALs and there is no evidence of their sunken hulks in the harbor. What -other- U.S. Naval ships might have been assigned, temporarily ported or in mothballs is hard to guess.
Oi vey. The Yorktown is somewhat concerning, but air support was always something of a concern. The Laffey, as was typical of destroyers at the time, can provide quite a bit of AA, so our own air assets might not be safe. The Clamagore might be a concern as it might spot the Staurolite, but the Staurolite is fairly sneaky. And they both of course mount torpedos of their own. Also, you forgot "ships being constructed" in that list. Charleston's Naval Shipyard is technically defunct...except they turned the yard over to civilians instead of flat out destroying or abandoning it, and the company that now owns it does contract out to the Navy.

IRL, there were some nuclear-powered ballistic missile submairnes fitted out as training vessels. And some Coast Guard cutters and the like. Not sure if that applies here, though. Charleston seems like more a logistical support and training base than a home-port for any sizable group of ships, but that could have changed. Overall, I'm fairly worried we're going to need to bail on this prong of the fight. Might be able to have Triton and the Staurolite destroy some of their units, but the PT boats and the Sea Dragon are probably going to be very outmatched, and vulnerable in comparison to the other two units. It might just be best to have them dispose of some Deep One nests, instead of engaging the enemy naval assets.

Also, you forgot "ships being constructed" in that list.

Forgot to mention is not -quite- the same as forgot. ;)

IRL, there were some nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines fitted out as training vessels. And some Coast Guard cutters and the like. Not sure if that applies here, though. Charleston seems like more a logistical support and training base than a home-port for any sizable group of ships, but that could have changed. Overall, I'm fairly worried we're going to need to bail on this prong of the fight. Might be able to have Triton and the Staurolite destroy some of their units, but the PT boats and the Sea Dragon are probably going to be very outmatched, and vulnerable in comparison to the other two units. It might just be best to have them dispose of some Deep One nests, instead of engaging the enemy naval assets.

My eldest Grandson is currently attending said sub schools at Goose Creek to keep those subs nuclear power plants humming along, he made a brief appearance in campaign as ?something something? Duke Nukem. That was before his course load buried him (the work is doable it's his desire to overachieve that has him buried, it was also one of the reasons the navy Recruiter approached him before he graduated high school.)

Talk about 'Resilient' to any Naval buff and the Laffey comes up. In a single day she was hit by 4 bombs, 6 kamikaze impacts and sustained 20ish fatalities and 70+ casualties to strafing runs earning her nickname "The Ship That Would Not Die".

She went on to received 5 battle stars and a Presidential citation in WW2, & 2 further battle stars plus the Korean Presidential Citation for her service in that theater.

During the April 16, 1945 battle Lt. Frank Manson was said to have asked Captain Becton if he thought they'd have to abandon ship, to which he snapped, "No! I'll never abandon ship as long as a single gun will fire." Becton did not hear a nearby lookout softly say, "And if I can find one man to fire it."

These sentiments are profound magically, Ships like this in a world where magic works might have assumed some benefit from the belief of crew that survive such encounters, laying dormant until magic awoke.

Talk about 'Resilient' to any Naval buff and the Laffey comes up. In a single day she was hit by 4 bombs, 6 kamikaze impacts and sustained 20ish fatalities and 70+ casualties to strafing runs earning her nickname "The Ship That Would Not Die".

She went on to received 5 battle stars and a Presidential citation in WW2, & 2 further battle stars plus the Korean Presidential Citation for her service in that theater.

During the April 16, 1945 battle Lt. Frank Manson was said to have asked Captain Becton if he thought they'd have to abandon ship, to which he snapped, "No! I'll never abandon ship as long as a single gun will fire." Becton did not hear a nearby lookout softly say, "And if I can find one man to fire it."

These sentiments are profound magically, Ships like this in a world where magic works might have assumed some benefit from the belief of crew that survive such encounters, laying dormant until magic awoke.
Oh dear. I hadn't considered that angle. The Yorktown's history seems somewhat less legendary, but it still served with distinction in several different conflicts over a fairly large span of time. 16 battle stars, 11 from WWII and 5 from Vietnam, isn't anything to sneeze at. The Clamagore is mostly notable for historical reasons, being the last known intact GUPPY system submarine. Unlikely to have much magical significance.

The possibility of magical significance in older ships definitely gives us a motivation to seek out and repair any older vessels that we can find, especially any that have served with distinction. The Iowa-class ships almost certainly have serious magical potential, as the last (and arguably best) battleships built, at least by the US. That's earned them a certain reputation, and I would imagine having been museum ships would actually increase a ship's magical potential. All those people flowing through the ships over the years and marveling at the engineering and history would almost certainly increase any magical power they might hold.

...Geez, this almost makes me want to track down the Constitution or the Constellation. I would imagine that ships that old and noteworthy would probably have a fair amount of power, even if they are hopelessly obsolete wooden sailing ships. Might even be enough to make Ol' Ironsides dangerous, if we can tap into that power. Sadly, she's in Boston. Bit of a long trip, though we might manage it. And it definitely makes tracking down the North Carolina even more appealing.
I almost forgot that these monsters have desecrated these ships.
Eh. Nothing a bit of holy water won't fix, I'd guess. And I think, given how steeped in patriotism any power these ships might have is, Charleston might just find out that power doesn't like being turned towards such vile and tyrannical purposes. I'm not certain we'd be able to essentially magically sabotage or turn any such ships to our side, but it might be worth a shot. @Highwind, got any thoughts on that?

Warships are alive and some may be haunted by the ghosts of their sailors. And I'm talkin IRL here, I've heard enough ghost stories about them that I have absolutely no doubt there's something supernatural about them. I'll have to track my favorites down again, sometime.

The idea that a ship has a power to it, a nature, a personality, even a will of its own, isn't at all strange to me. In Japan, there's the superstition that a tool or object that survives for one hundred years will gain a sort of sentience and spirit. If treated well and venerated, they become benevolent Kami, but those that are forgotten or mistreated become vengeful youkai. They can be swords, umbrellas, pots, kettles, just about anything. Even animals, if they survive those hundred years.

But what if an object is taken care of daily, by hundreds of men and women? People who take care of it, rely on it, take pride in it, live, fight, bleed and die on it? Does it still take a hundred years then?

But that's IRL. Looking at it from an In Universe perspective, there's still a good argument in favor of old ships, or even recent ones, having supernatural attributes. Seamen are very superstitious as a rule, and they're quick to give their ships a personality. And it's likely at least a few of the crew will have an aptitude for magic, even if their talent is subconscious like Mrs. Choi's.

...Yeah, I think those ships are going to be very unreliable in the hands of Charleston. I wouldn't be surprised if the older ones scuttled themselves or were suddenly crewed by the angry ghosts of their sailors.

Sometimes there are things even the dead fear, If Charleston are willing to exploit the living like they do, how caring do you think they'd truly be if they could press the honorable dead back into service manning guns and performing damage control?

No proof these ships still exist, I'm merely playing devil's advocate extending the train of thought to an unsettling series of conclusions.

Last edited:
Sometimes there are things even the dead fear, If Charleston are willing to exploit the living like they do, how caring do you think they'd truly be if they could press the honorable dead back into service manning guns and performing damage control?

No proof these ships still exist, I'm merely playing devil's advocate extending the train of thought to an unsettling series of conclusions.
There may be things that even the dead fear, but I'd wager a few of the honorable dead would be all too willing to take a crack at them. Way more than a few, if the Marines count as part of the crew. :V

Forcing the ghosts of soldiers to fight against everything they cherished and stood for in life, making a mockery of their legacy and of their sacrifices... it would take some strong juju to pull that off, and all but the most craven would be struggling against their chains the entire time.

Between crewing a ship with cultists and slaves and crewing it with the furious and utterly unwilling ghosts of its deceased sailors, it's better to just go with the slaves if only for the amount of effort involved.

All this talk of sentient ship-spirits and vengeful ghosts brings me back to the days when Kancolle was all the rage. Good times.

Oh I agree such an arrangement Slave/Cultist/Ghosts would be very rough to make viable. But what if you parsed it down to just a ghost crew and a necromancer playing puppeteer behind the scenes?

Make the dead sailors / marines relive the events leading up to their deaths, and mask reality so any enemy of Charleston are stand ins for the Japanese and the Laffey are merely re-fighting a battle won nearly a century ago...?

Again just a creative stroll for me, no more than An interesting thought exercise , pondered and discarded. ;)

Reality can be sooo much more fun... 😈

Warships are alive and some may be haunted by the ghosts of their sailors. And I'm talkin IRL here, I've heard enough ghost stories about them that I have absolutely no doubt there's something supernatural about them. I'll have to track my favorites down again, sometime.

The idea that a ship has a power to it, a nature, a personality, even a will of its own, isn't at all strange to me. In Japan, there's the superstition that a tool or object that survives for one hundred years will gain a sort of sentience and spirit. If treated well and venerated, they become benevolent Kami, but those that are forgotten or mistreated become vengeful youkai. They can be swords, umbrellas, pots, kettles, just about anything. Even animals, if they survive those hundred years.

But what if an object is taken care of daily, by hundreds of men and women? People who take care of it, rely on it, take pride in it, live, fight, bleed and die on it? Does it still take a hundred years then?

But that's IRL. Looking at it from an In Universe perspective, there's still a good argument in favor of old ships, or even recent ones, having supernatural attributes. Seamen are very superstitious as a rule, and they're quick to give their ships a personality. And it's likely at least a few of the crew will have an aptitude for magic, even if their talent is subconscious like Mrs. Choi's.

...Yeah, I think those ships are going to be very unreliable in the hands of Charleston. I wouldn't be surprised if the older ones scuttled themselves or were suddenly crewed by the angry ghosts of their sailors.
Especially if Glass gives them a little push. Though she might be a little too tired right now to do that, I guess. Something to keep in mind in the future, though. A ghost mutiny would be a really good way to steal the ships from Charleston, I think.

...I'm honestly tempted to build a second nuclear submarine and send it out towards Wilmington, NGL. Would be worth it to have the USS North Carolina at our disposal. Submarines would have much better chances of reaching the target than any other unit we have besides Triton, and I'm not sure we can really spare Triton. Though...I suppose we could alwys build a bunch of Mark 0 aquatic Jaegers and take a page from Charleston by sending them there via ballistic missile, and have them tow it back. Could probably send the Staurolite out far enough to avoid any interceptors the bastards to our north might have. Which is why I'm not up for trying to airlift people out that way, BTW.

Although, come to think of it...Mobile is about as close to Atlanta as we are to Wilmington. I doubt they'd mind if we had our Jumphawks haul the USS Alabama through their territory. Supposedly, the South Dakota-class is the better design, when compared to the North Carolina-class. The Iowa-class blows them both out of the water, of course, but getting our hands on one of those seems...unlikely, to say the least. We'd have to go all the way to Norfolk. But Mobile...it'd probably be risky as hell, but we might be able to pull that off. Definitely something to do after we deal with Charleston, though. Amongst other things, our drydock is shorter than the Alabama by a couple hundred feet. So we'd need to expand the yard, first.

That said, while I'm perfectly willing to commission the older boats as-is, in classification, name, and maybe equipment (names have power, don't want to risk reducing the strength of any magic inherent in the ship), any ships we design based on fast battleships would probably qualify as battlecruisers under my system. Battleships, by my metrics, would probably be closer to around the size of a supercarrier. Only with a lot of weapons instead of aircraft.

In point of fact...I don't seem to have ever posted my (brief) thoughts on the roles each ship class plays. I should fix that.
Battleship: Mounts the most/largest weaponry, possibly with command or support gear, and Jaeger-grade armor. A fleet-in-being, almost literally. Many different weapons systems, probably need to be the size of an aircraft carrier to fit them all.

Battlecruiser: Heaviest cruiser, can mount larger weapons, better armor. May serve in a command/control role, or have fire support equipment. Could mount shorter-ranged but stronger guns, due to heavier armor.

Heavy Cruisers: May end up being the hardest to quantify the role of. Not the fastest or the most armored. Might be large enough to mount some weapons that LCs just can't, though.

Light Cruisers: Fastest nuclear ship above water. More likely to mount DEWs than any of the other classes. Armored, but more lightly than other classes. Long ranged, by necessity.

Destroyers/Frigates/Cutters/PT Boats: Mounts torpedos, missiles, or other, less power intensive weaponry. Anti-air/anti-0 scale.

Didn't bother to break down the roles of submarines, because those are usually included in the classification somewhere.
Oh I agree such an arrangement Slave/Cultist/Ghosts would be very rough to make viable. But what if you parsed it down to just a ghost crew and a necromancer playing puppeteer behind the scenes?

Make the dead sailors / marines relive the events leading up to their deaths, and mask reality so any enemy of Charleston are stand ins for the Japanese and the Laffey are merely re-fighting a battle won nearly a century ago...?

Again just a creative stroll for me, no more than An interesting thought exercise , pondered and discarded. ;)

Reality can be sooo much more fun... 😈
In that hypothetical scenario, that would be what Glass and our own magic is for. Preferably when said ship is close enough to our territory for us to conceivably get home.

You do realize we're going to see the Deacon drawn, quartered, and probably find a way to obliterate his soul in a way that Cthulhu himself would squick out by the pace you're setting with the ships?

Charleston has just come between the fandom and the shipfus. You don't get between the fandom and the shipfus.

the pace you're setting with the ships?

This has been Charleston's pace all along, maybe the ships were just the epiphany you personally need to let it all settle and be seen for what they are... unrelenting, amoral, and willing to sink to any/every depravity to reach their goals of total subjugation.

( :o they smack puppies too :o)

Last edited:
Let's not lie to ourselves, the Deacon and his cult were already so high on our collective shit list the only reason we're not dropping a nuke on them is the fact the citizens of Charleston are their hostages. This is just yet another reason to utterly crush them on a list that is already a mile long.

Speaking of crushing them, does anyone have anything to add to the attack/distraction plan? I'm still leaning towards using the airborne decoys as bait, followed by using our aircraft to open a path to their walls while the ground forces secure it, but I still need confirmation on how much the decoys would cost, if they cost anything.

...Note to self, research a cheap CAS airplane.

Last edited:
Are you wanting merely radar decoys? Or will they include other supporting data, such as thermal, or maybe even some acoustical camo that mimics things like prop wash/engine noise of combat craft. Remember Charleston is a city with Stats much like Savannah, it'd be sheer hubris to assume their sensors lack a range of other inputs beyond merely Radar.

Are you wanting merely radar decoys? Or will they include other supporting data, such as thermal, or maybe even some acoustical camo that mimics things like prop wash/engine noise of combat craft. Remember Charleston is a city with Stats much like Savannah, it'd be sheer hubris to assume their sensors lack a range of other inputs beyond merely Radar.
Give me the price for a version that does just radar and one for Radar and thermal, please.

Last edited:
Warning: Short story incoming:
----

In the wake of completing his plans for the attack on Charleston, Admiral Nixeu finally admitted to himself that he'd been slacking off lately. He'd been allowing events to distract him from his main goals, and now his Navy was heading to war woefully unprepared, and likely outgunned. Again. While he expected they wouldn't have to flee the city this time around, if it weren't for Triton or the lucky find of the Staurolite, all he'd have had to work with would have been PT boats. He'd gone through all that effort to find a drydock capable of working on decently sized ships, and what did he build with it? PT boats and river boats.

It would be easy to blame his colleagues for that, but the truth was, they just didn't have the schematics to build anything much bigger than that. They'd gotten the equipment to produce ships, but the administrative and engineering supports that would be necessary to actually do anything with it weren't properly organized yet. Sure, he had engineers working for him on variety of research topics, but they hadn't been brought together. They were still working separately, and not in-tandem with one another. He needed to bring them all together and give them something to actually focus on, an actual proposal for new class of ship, before they'd be of much use to him.

The administrative stuff, he could kick down the line to his subordinates. They should be more than capable of putting together a Bureau of Shipbuilding, or whatever they'd call the bloody thing. But someone would need to actually set the goals for the design teams to achieve, and think about the big picture when it came to ship designs and how the current combat environment would effect those designs. Which, at the end of the day, was probably going to have to be him.

He sighed, and got to work.
----

So yeah...I wrote a thing. A bunch of things, actually. Actually started putting thought into what I wanted various ships to look like. Take this as a guide as to how I would like our navy to expand in the future, and various other things.

Out of curiosity, @Smithsguild, could we make any of those spare Elite AKBs into Marines? Because I think I could potentially work with that.
-Personnel stuff: Combat Jackets for Engineering, and possibly the entire crew of any ships we make, would be good. As would Powered Armor for Marines and SEALs. As for what that might look like:

Damage Control-Spec'd Combat Jacket:
Waldo #1: Welding gear (thermal lance or oxyacetylene welder)
Waldo #2: Fire-Extinguisher
Suit should be water-proofed, and possibly also come with an O2 tank and rebreather.
Other DC Engineer equipment: Shaped welding thermite charges, quick drying cement, other repair equipment.

Aquatic Power Armor:

Changes from basic version:
Required:
-A much larger air capacity, at least doubled
-Either MHD-based or water jet-based propulsion systems,
-Cav-X ammunition for any guns
-Engraved and, as feasible, empowered anti-Deep One Elder Signs
-Ability to hook into special cradles attached to certain ships to replenish electricity and oxygen.
Cool if possible (Elite Perks?):
-Electrolysis-based oxygen replenishment system?
-Utilize same material as Triton's armor
-Triton-like wrist and ankle thrusters
-Cavitation system for speed boost
Possible Elite Perks:
-Sentinels of Faith (going to want at least one)
-Electricity gun
-Cavitation gun
-Mini-torpedos (or a standard Waldo weapon?)
-Superheating weapon that boils water in an area

Skarn-Class Submarines: Small submarines, designed to operate in wolfpacks and swarm their targets. Equipped with microtorpedos. Also serve as scouts and anti-Deep One screen. Numbered, rather than named (I.E. Skarn-1, Skarn-2, etc.)

Breccia-Class Submarines: A type of submarine specializing in supporting and transporting Marine/SEAL power armor divisions. Drone units? Equipped with electrolysis replenished oxygen supply and some method of replenishing power supply (inverted MHD drive into MHD generator?). Also numbered.

Lysander-Class Destroyers:
Propulsion: May utilize MHD drives, if found efficient. If not, old-fashioned propellers.
Power: Diesel?
Armament: Dual-purpose AA guns, one larger, high caliber anti-Kaiju cannon, and some depth charges for dealing with Deep Ones.
Naming: Ancient Greek Admirals
Thumbnail: The Lysander-class is the metaphorical shield for much of the rest of the fleet. Its guns are built for taking out flying opponents, and (potentially) taking out incoming fire. While it does have some anti-K Scale capability, its main purpose is to keep the skies clear, and to protect other, more offensively focused ships.

Chester W. Nimitz-class Frigate:
Propulsion: May utilize MHD drives, if found efficient. If not, old-fashioned propellers.
Power: Diesel?
Armament: Kashtan CIWS-based dual-purpose guns/missile turrets, torpedos, MAC Tubes.
Naming: WWII Admirals, from any side.
Thumbnail: Larger and more aggressively equipped than the Lysander-class, while still providing some topside coverage, the CWN-class Frigates are likely to be the workhorses of the surface navy, being cheaper than any of the larger, nuclear-powered units, while still providing decent offensive power.

Dagger-Class Light Cruiser
Propulsion: MHD Drive (unless we have anything faster), geared for high speeds
Power: 1x UCNR
Hull: Lightly armored, low-weight composites preferred
Armament: Dual purpose small laser arrays (AA/death-by-a-thousand cuts weapons), with a few larger DEWs meant for anti-Kaiju work
Naming: Daggers and Knives
Thumbnail: Meant to provide both some aerial coverage, as well as anti-Kaiju weaponry, this unit is fairly versatile for an CLs, and excels at hit-and-run tactics.

Saber-class Light Cruiser
Armament: Small number of medium-range, decent power DEWs, light torpedo armament
Naming: Light, secondary swords, especially cavalry weapons
Thumbnail: More heavily armed (and possibly larger) than the Dagger-class ships, the Saber-class is more well-rounded, capable of dealing with even targets below the waterline.

Longbow-class Light Cruisers
Armament: Single long-ranged, decently powerful railgun or DEW,
Naming: Low-weight ranged weapons, including light firearms
Thumbnail: Least well-rounded and highest power of the Light Cruisers, I don't see us building too many of these, but a few cheaper units that can still pack a serious punch is a nice thing to have.

Bastard Sword-class Heavy Cruiser
Propulsion: MHD Drive
Power: 1x (maybe 2x) UCNR
Hull: Medium armor, some redundancies
Armament: Larger DEWs, railguns, torpedos
Naming: Heavy and two-handed swords
Thumbnail: Most well-rounded and versatile of the Heavy Cruisers, the Bastard Sword-class is actually somewhat equipped for below-water fighting, unlike most other heavy cruisers.

Mace-class Heavy Cruiser
Power: 1-2x UCNR
Hull: Medium armor, some redundancies
Armament: High AP weaponry designed to deal extra damage to armor
Naming: Blunt weapons
Thumbnail: A somewhat specialized Heavy Cruiser class, the Mace-class is well suited for leading small squadrons of Light Cruisers, due to its anti-armor properties making their lighter weapons more effective.

Tomahawk-class Heavy Cruiser
Hull: Medium armor, some redundancies (possibly heavier to cover for its short range)
Armament: Close-Range, high power weaponry
Naming: Axes
Thumbnail: The Tomahawk-class are brawlers, meant to get up-close and personal with giant monsters. Might not be a very survivable place to be, though, so this particular class is a bit of a gamble to work on.

Lance-Class Heavy Cruiser
Hull: Medium armor, some redundancies (possibly heavier to cover for its short range)
Armament: A few long-range, high power weapons, either railguns or DEWs.
Naming: Stabbing polearms and spears.
Thumbnail: While the longer range does make the heavier armor somewhat redundant, this class may still have a niche.

Buckler-class Support Cruiser
Hull: Heavy Armoring
Armament: a few AA turrets and depth charges, support systems similar to those on the "Oracle" APC and any defensive shielding equipment we develop.
Naming: Defensive items, possibly including armor.
Thumbnail: What it says on the tin. Build almost entirely for support, and thus not really either normal type of Cruiser, this unit has strong armor for obvious reasons. Probably only ever going to be seen with a large escort.

Diamond-Class Anti-Kaiju Attack Submarine (Nuclear)
Propulsion: MHD Drive (Optional: Cavitation)
Power: 2x UCNR (possibly 3?)
Hull/Armor: Carbyne Enhanced Composite Plating for the hull.
Armament: Torpedoes of various sizes kinds and sizes, Forward-facing guns based on Triton's Arbalest and Boomstick
Naming: High value, high hardness gemstones
Thumbnail: Crown jewel of the underwater fleet, pun intended. Fast, durable, and dangerous, these are meant to support Triton on Breach assault. Generally rather quiet due to the MHD drive, but capable of "going loud" and enhancing speed with electrolytic cavitation (torpedo tubes and gun barrels covered when doing so to reduce drag, so mostly good for running away). Good sensor fit makes sense as well, so it should be quite capable of anti-submarine work. Probably super expensive, and almost ineffectual vs anything not in the water, but still worthy of consideration.

General Policy: For any unit not mounting either torpedos or depth charges, and possibly those with such things too, Elder Signs are to be scratched in the below-the-waterline sections of the hull where reasonable.

Note: Battlecruisers and Battleships are much more likely to be individualistic designs, due to the higher costs and mythical naming schemes. They're meant to lead, or even effectively be, fleets, so they're probably going to have unique needs.

Let's not lie to ourselves, the Deacon and his cult were already so high on our collective shit lists the only reason we're not dropping a nuke on them is the fact the citizens of Charleston are his hostages. This is just yet another reason to utterly crush them in a list that is already a mile long.

Speaking of crushing them, does anyone have anything to add to the attack/distraction plan? I'm still leaning towards using the airborne decoys as bait, followed by using our aircraft to open a path to their walls while the ground forces secure it, but I still need confirmation on how much the decoys would cost, if they cost anything.

...Note to self, research a cheap CAS airplane.
Not really, beyond reminding you that the current plan on the naval side of things involves throwing a cruise missile at something, and I'm willing for that something to be in support of the land side of things. Probably better than me flinging it in the vague direction of their docks or shipyards, honestly.

@Nixeu I simply love player written omakes that immerse us deeper in the world that don't also try to gain some organic advantage.

(Those bonuses still tend to come because you help root me back in our shared world, and get my creative juices flowing again. TY)

As to if you could throw some Elites AKP's into Marine positions, Yes. Please Yes.

(My inner devildog cries out what the hell took you guys so long?! I've made no secret of my time in the Corp and know some of culture from firsthand immersion, at least as much as a peacetime reservist COULD learn.)
---
Onto the spoiler thing... :eek::eek::eek:

I am into it, I can practically picture a convoy of them - some details will need hammered out but I am suitably impressed with the depth and variety of design.

@Nixeu I simply love player written omakes that immerse us deeper in the world that don't also try to gain some organic advantage.

(Those bonuses still tend to come because you help root me back in our shared world, and get my creative juices flowing again. TY)

As to if you could throw some Elites AKP's into Marine positions, Yes. Please Yes.

(My inner devildog cries out what the hell took you guys so long?! I've made no secret of my time in the Corp and know some of culture from firsthand immersion, at least as much as a peacetime reservist COULD learn.)
Oh good. Because, while we don't currently have much room for them on our current boats, Marines would probably be a good thing to have in the future. And I'm not entirely sure I'll manage to nail the culture, which might make creating the Elites interesting. I'll get back to you on what specifically I'm thinking of doing with them, but I'm definitely thinking we need a seagoing branch of the Sentinels of Faith. Maybe two. Would appreciate help on the names for the units, though.
Onto the spoiler thing... :eek::eek::eek:

I am into it, I can practically picture a convoy of them - some details will need hammered out but I am suitably impressed with the depth and variety of design.
Heh. And I forgot completely about the aquatic Mark 0s and their nuclear-powered tugboat transports...ah well, that can come later.

Yeah, I definitely have some corners that need nailing down on my proposals. A lot of the ships have rather vague armament descriptions, usually because we either have multiple things that fulfill that role, or we currently lack them, and I don't know what we're likely to have in the near future. This is definitely a rough first draft, and I would not be shocked to have some more specialized units, or just more units, crop up in the future. And then there's the whole process of designing the flagships, which are probably going to be one-offs, like I said, likely based on their mythology. SNS Mjölnir does lightning stuff, SNS Excalibur has lots of support stuff to command its fleet, etc. There's definitely more work that needs doing.

Give me the price for a version that does just radar and one for Radar and thermal, please.

Erm, what type of flight package? You mentioned prop driven balloon, but you have the tech to do much better.
you could field something similar to the ADM-160C (MALD-J) @35 R / unit for MALD , @50 R / MALD-J.

Editing in Raytheon's link for MALD MALD Decoy | Raytheon

Continued edit: MALD produce believable thermal w/o modification

Last edited:
Erm, what type of flight package? You mentioned prop driven balloon, but you have the tech to do much better.
you could field something similar to the ADM-160C (MALD-J) @35 R / unit for MALD , @50 R / MALD-J.

Editing in Raytheon's link for MALD MALD Decoy | Raytheon

Continued edit: MALD produce believable thermal w/o modification
Oh my. MALDs and MALD-Js? I thought we'd need to research something of that level before we could field them.

That makes things much easier for us.

Here is a good primer for Marine Corps mindset;

You can cross transfer from one active duty branch of service to 'nearly' any of the others - air force to navy, navy to army, etc. But to be a marine you MUST attend marine corps boot camp.

When I attended Paris Island one of my fellow 'recruits' was a former 4 yr veteran Navy Corpsman / Navy SEAL who wanted to transition to Marine Force Recon, only path to that lead through Marine corps basic training first.

Marine corp take pride in their long history of first in, last out. Usually most conflicts involve securing a beachhead as a staging area for ongoing military endeavors, it usually the marines that secure them during an invasion and hold them allowing everyone else a safe withdrawal.

Concepts popularized by the marine Corp (with little historical backing to support it) such as Gung Ho!

The linguist Albert Moe studied both the origin and the usage of the term in English. He concluded that the term is an "Americanism that is derived from the Chinese, but its several accepted American meanings have no resemblance whatsoever to the recognized meaning in the original language" and that its "various linguistic uses, as they have developed in the United States, have been peculiar to American speech." In Chinese, concludes Moe, "this is neither a slogan nor a battle cry; it is only a name for an organization."

However facts stand little chance against rampant enthusiasm, the term was picked up by United States Marine Corps Major Evans Carlson from his New Zealand friend, Rewi Alley, one of the founders of the Chinese Industrial Cooperatives. Carlson explained in a 1943 interview: "I was trying to build up the same sort of working spirit I had seen in China, where all the soldiers dedicated themselves to one idea and worked together to put that idea over. I told the boys about it again and again. I told them of the motto of the Chinese Cooperatives, Gung Ho. It means Work Together — Work in Harmony...."

And always in the background "Semper Fidelis" signifies the dedication and loyalty that individual Marines have for 'Corps and Country', even after leaving service. Marines frequently shorten the motto to "Semper Fi"

Back