My dude, you are the only one blaming you for your Semblance

He is, but Qrow's Semblance is objectively that bad things happen while he's around. I imagine after a while he started blaming himself for every bad hting that did happen in his presence, even if it was something someone deliberately chose or was far too large scale to be his fault.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a part of him blamed himself for several of the things that happened with Cinder's plan. Especially since he can rebuke himself for not stopping her from nabbing half of Amber's power in the first place.

Ruby has found the Relic. In accordance with its Grimm-attracting properties, she's also found the Apathy. I haven't been this freaked out by a Grimm since the Nuckelavee. Fortunately Team WBY can't gaslight her about seeing nothing when it rounds the corner behind her

Yea, Apathy are terrifying and honestly they are some of the best Grimm if not the best the writers have ever come up with. 10/10 monsters

Maria coaches Ruby into the protective mindset required for deliberate activation of her silver eyes. This time a lot more Grimm are burned away.

And here we have Maria doing what people were hoping Ozpin would do all of last volume.

There are reasons why we appreciate Maria.

Maria yeets the diary into the snow. Why. That was valuable evidence.

I mean, evidence of what? That some no name farmer on a forgotten homestead did a stupid and got everyone involved killed? Yea it's a bad thing, but there's no one who can be punished for it or comforted by it. It's just another everyday tragedy that was only relevant because they happened to stumble onto it.

To the rest of the world, this story is nothing more than a footnote.

Sit down ma'am, we can't all be as neurotypical as you.
A) Neurodivergent over here, thanks and B) It was meant as a little insulting, so I apologise for that; my temper tends to be short around people missing things around the Bees, which is entirely on me. Still, it felt weird to kind of gloss over what seemed like a really obvious moment of filmmaking?

The "well" would have made a lot more sense if was an abandoned mine that flooded, in my personal opinion. Even the wells that spread out a bit don't normally have doors connecting to cellars.

I suspect the only reason it's a well is because one of the Zelda games has a creepy sequence in a well with a skull faced monster.

That said, the Apathy are cool, so I can forgive a lot.

Last edited:
And it also means three of team RWBY have now destroyed a building, even partially. Yang got Juniors nightclub, Blake got to set fire to her family home, and now this. LET RUBY BURN THINGS!
To be fair she does get her chance eventually, kind of.
Yea, Apathy are terrifying and honestly they are some of the best Grimm if not the best the writers have ever come up with. 10/10 monsters
One of the first ones they came up with too, and they sat on them for years.
Even the wells that spread out a bit don't normally have doors connecting to cellars.
It seemed more an underground aqueduct with a well to get water from it, and it was a collapse in the wall rather then a door.

A) Neurodivergent over here, thanks and B) It was meant as a little insulting, so I apologise for that; my temper tends to be short around people missing things around the Bees, which is entirely on me. Still, it felt weird to kind of gloss over what seemed like a really obvious moment of filmmaking?
It kind of irks me when people think that what is obvious to them must also be obvious to everyone else. (Yes, it irks me whenever I realise I've done it.) I mean, just count all the other "obvious" things I've already missed, starting with everybody's enlarged pupils under Apathy and working backwards (or starting with what I'm told are allusions to the tale of Snow White and working forwards, if you prefer). I've never pretended to be a film analyst, or even any good at film-watching. And if anybody wants me to be, then sadly this may not be the thread for them.

Neither did this one. That was a wall that had caved in. Which also raises worries about the rest of the well keeping the Apathy in...
This may have contributed to Weiss deciding to burn it all down.

V06C07 The Grimm Reaper New

V06C07 The Grimm Reaper

Yep, it's the pun we've all been waiting for since about Ruby's trailer. But first, another ad for gen:LOCK. (shrugs)

There are about two things foreshadowed in the titles that haven't come to pass yet: Adam getting any significant screentime (maybe), and Jaune being mad at Oscar. So what's the other half of the Volume going to be about?

Cinder has brought Neo to outside the vault of the Relic of Knowledge. The Relic vault itself is inaccessible because the door is shut (how???). It is implied that Cinder has just finished storytime about said Relic. She catches herself mentioning Salem's goal instead of theirs - the difference is that Salem apparently explicitly ordered Cinder not to kill Ruby. So Cinder has had the big-brained idea of getting Neo to do it, as if that will save either of them from Salem's displeasure. They shake on it anyway.

Someone wearing a skull mask walks over a really stereotypical dangerous wooden bridge. At what sounds like a bird of prey screeching, they unstow and unfold a scythe, which is just as well because a very Giant Nevermore soon bears down on them.

The bridge is destroyed by the Nevermore and the figure falls. Good thing their weapon is bifurcated! They throw the upper part (including the scythe head) at the Nevermore where it securely anchors - and slightly wounds it, but that's less important right now. Then the matching ends glow purple and pull towards each other, dragging the figure up (and the Nevermore slightly down, but that's less important). They pilot the Nevermore around for a moment using the weapons stabbed into its back, repeat the throw-and-pull trick to bounce it off a rock pillar, and ride the stunned Nevermore down to a rough but non-harmful (with a Nevermore for cushioning, anyway) landing on a rocky plateau.

The Nevermore isn't dead yet. It shakes the figure loose, disarms them, and pounces for the kill. The Eye Beams of Doom disagree, petrifying it in mid-air. After an ACME-certified interval, it falls and shatters.

Correction, they don't have a bifurcated weapon, they just have two weapons. They rearm just in time to block someone shooting at them. Three randoms emerge from rock features near the plateau. A fourth, with an extremely broad English accent, emerges from the other direction and taunts our silver-eyed protagonist.
"Well, that's a fancy trick now, innit? 'Fraid it comes with a price, now, love."

(turns to face her, rather than the minions) "I don't think you realise who I am."

"'Course I do." (winds elaborate stopwatch) "You're the Grimm Reaper." (grins more toothily than any human should be able to) "And these are the last sixty seconds of your life." (starts stopwatch)
There ensues a fight scene exactly sixty seconds in length (presumably; there's a bit of slow-motion which makes it difficult to assess). The Grimm Reaper is very, very good, and might have been able to hold her own for that long if not for whatever boost the stopwatch is giving. She rearms when disarmed, she repels multiple opponents at once (including Toothy), she combines her weapons to fight in opposite directions at once until Toothy (the last left standing on her side) bites through the combination point. A headbutt that shatters the Reaper's mask is followed up by a sword slash with moments left on the clock that destroys both of her eyes. Ow. Ow.

The Reaper spends the last of her magazine firing at where Toothy's voice is coming from, but Toothy dodges easily, then offers - seriousness uncertain - to spare her life seeing as the hit was on her eyes. The Reaper throws a blade which is also dodged. She escapes certain death at the hands of Toothy by calling it back for a backstab and then slashing with the other as Toothy falls forward into range.

Toothy called her "a fighter to the end". "But I wasn't," says Maria Calavera, the Grimm Reaper, to Team RWBY+Q+O. "I went into hiding soon after." This explains her extremely elaborate goggles - they're entire prosthetic eyes.

Oscar wonders how a legend like the Grimm Reaper could just disappear. Clearly he does not have any leftover advice from Ozpin, whose past lives intentionally did just that with the Four Maidens.

Qrow is having his own meet-your-heroes moment. As Ruby patterned Crescent Rose off Qrow's weapon, so Qrow based his on the disappeared Grimm Reaper's. He strived to be as good as her. Maria reckons that's a disappointing standard. Somebody call Jaune, we got some more impostor syndrome to take care of.

Maria beats herself up over cravenly never resuming even after regaining most of her sight through the magic of technology. The camera meaningfully looks at her over Yang's right shoulder (the mech-arm side) as she (Maria) says some of them are clearly stronger than her already. All she's got left are regrets over not leaving a better world for them.

Ruby proceeds to Ruby, requesting training on the Eye Beams of Doom which Maria had clearly mastered as a means of lifting her (Maria) out of her funk. Anything else Ruby had to say will have to wait, for at that moment her Scroll rings: it's Jaune (contact name Vomit Boy - some jokes just never die), who's been checking for their signal forever. And that's what prompts everyone to look up and realise they're almost at Argus. Cue piano remix of the last part of the title song as they crest the last hill and escape the snow.

(Ruby did not have a custom contact name for Jaune back in V2. In-universe nostalgia hits hard.)

Completely Unrelated Storytime
It was about here, while watching the episode with the flashback where Maria loses her eyes, that I had to pause to go to an appointment to take ownership of reading glasses. The irony, it burns a bit.

Yang puts Bumblebee in a bike locker just inside the city walls.

The first meeting is Nora seeing Oscar. Nora. Nora no. (Nora yes...) Other meetings are less energetic.

Ruby & Jaune friendship moment! Those have been in somewhat short supply.

The gang ride a tram with either no visible rails or a comically narrow gauge (whose numberplate is (checks) the Chapter release date) as Team JNR give the newcomers a quick lesson in Argus history. It's about the biggest city that isn't a Kingdom capital, having gotten that way by the joint efforts of Mistral and Mantle. It's under Mistralian governance, but Atlas keeps a military garrison (how wrong could this go?) - until recently?

They step off the tram, and Oscar thinks to ask where Team JNR were accommodated while waiting for them. Cue one of the fabled Arc sisters, and child. The look on Ruby's face warms but scares me (and Jaune).

Comedy™ ensues at the Arc-sister residence. Everyone but Jaune is entranced by the child. Jaune, in response to a remark of "baby brother", just dispenses what feels like an instant meme (very carefully checks what? it's not there! how!):
"I am not a baby! That is a baby."
Said young individual folds their arms unimpressed-ly. Weiss and Yang are recursively entranced.

Blake asks for more details about Saphron "Saph" Arc, giving Saphron an excuse to tell us that most of the Arc sisters still live at home (wherever that is), and the camera an excuse to show us an old family photo in which Jaune is holding up a "HELP" sign (and reasonably so).

Terra Cotta, Saphron's wife, wanders in the door with groceries. Not sure if that'll be enough to feed the party, given how much we know slightly fewer of them could eat in Mistral, but points for trying.

Shot of a sandwich assembly line in the Cotta-Arc kitchen as Blake from next shot of the living room asks whether they can actually all stay there. Of course, says Terra (misidentified as Saphron in subtitles), it's basically their civic duty for a party of Hunters. (It's also a pretty big living room for a house of 2.5 people.)

Qrow has to talk fast - after Ruby elbows him - to provide what sounds to Terra enough like a legal justification for most of them only being Hunter-trainees. He eventually digs his way to saying that most of them are better than him at their age, which Ruby is pretty happy to hear. This remark is saved from verbal backpedalling by Team JNR bringing out the products of the sandwich assembly line. {{Blake noms.}}

Terra has to go take a Scroll call. (She works at the comms relay tower, which doubles as a military radar tower, so when the radar has a Heisenbug the blame rolls downhill.) Ruby, through two different sandwiches, explains they're trying to get to Atlas and will start by asking at the military base, to which Team JNR explains they already tried that. "Come on," says Yang, "it couldn't be that bad." This is called tempting fate, Yang, you shouldn't do it.

Cut to the military base (I hear the Atlas military theme music, what a throwback), where Watch Officer Fate (not literally) wordlessly slams (literally) the gates shut in front of Team RWBY. The sequence might have worked better without the music, but who am I to argue with nostalgia?

Next time: Bad news breeds.

There ensues a fight scene exactly sixty seconds in length (presumably; there's a bit of slow-motion which makes it difficult to assess). The Grimm Reaper is very, very good, and might have been able to hold her own for that long if not for whatever boost the stopwatch is giving.

So this is one of the times where RWBY is just really bad at conveying what is supposed to be going on here. The clock is not actually giving a boost in of itself, it's meant to be a timer for Tock because her Semblance only lasts for 60 seconds. What that Semblance is supposed to be is complete invulnerability for that 60 seconds.

Ruby & Jaune friendship moment! Those have been in somewhat short supply.

This is a criticism I have pretty consistently throughout RWBY, for a lot of characters who are supposed to be close to one another we just don't get any time for them to really interact one on one with each other. It makes it harder to really feel the relationship between some of them.

Correction, they don't have a bifurcated weapon, they just have two weapons.

And while it's not immediately obvious, she still has one of those weapons in the here and now as her cane. I'm pretty sure that's how she got down the well last episode. She might be old, but she still has landing strategies.

might have been able to hold her own for that long if not for whatever boost the stopwatch is giving.

This is Tocks semblance. One minute of total invincibility. The stopwatch is to help her keep track of it herself, and also a shoutout to her reference (The croc from Peter Pan. Tick tock tick tock TICK TOCK). Development note, the budget for the flashback took a lot, with all the one-use characters and such, and they could only have so much fight time included in the budget. Miles Luna had the idea of tying it to an in-universe time limit.

This explains her extremely elaborate goggles - they're entire prosthetic eyes.

It's also why she didn't peg Rubys silver eyes right away. You mentioned the blue tint last episode, and as she said back in episode two of this season, they're overdue for maintenance.

As Ruby patterned Crescent Rose off Qrow's weapon, so Qrow based his on the disappeared Grimm Reaper's.

Yup, Maria had a heroic legacy she never knew of.

Fun detail. Qrow started designing his scythe before they went to Beacon, when he was still a bandit. And the Grimm Reaper was famous enough the child of a bandit tribe saw her as an ideal to strive for.

we got some more impostor syndrome to take care of.

Also note her word choice. She's also aiming her barbs Qrows ways, given his failures last episode. While she retired after injuries, she maintains professional pride over huntsmen in the field, it seems.

It was about here, while watching the episode with the flashback where Maria loses her eyes, that I had to pause to go to an appointment to take ownership of reading glasses. The irony, it burns a bit.

That might also be the eyes adjusting... I suspect they're in my near future honestly. I need to get tested....

The gang ride a tram with either no visible rails or a comically narrow gauge

I think its a hover tram using gravity dust, actually. At least, that was always what I assumed.

an old family photo in which Jaune is holding up a "HELP" sign

Also, one of the sisters is wearing what is basically the uniform of the camp staff in Camp Camp, a show created by Miles Luna. Which always makes me imagine the comically corrupt camp existing on Remnant, and realizing that several of the characters would thrive scarily well on a death world.

Terra Cotta, Saphron's wife

Fun detail. Ancient greek poet Sapphos of Lesbos had most of her works survive to the modern day on terracotta pottery shards.
There are times for subtlety. This is not one of those times.

Terra has to go take a Scroll call. (She works at the comms relay tower, which doubles as a military radar tower, so when the radar has a Heisenbug the blame rolls downhill.)

Saphron: Oh, yeah, it will be. Terra's a technician for the town's relay tower. Unfortunately, the military's radar system is also housed there. Guess what's been on the fritz lately and who's getting falsely blamed.
Terra: Me!

I have NEVER related to a character in this show more than Terra at this moment.

The Relic vault itself is inaccessible because the door is shut (how???).
Maybe the Lamp was a kind of battery for it?
A headbutt that shatters the Reaper's mask is followed up by a sword slash with moments left on the clock that destroys both of her eyes. Ow. Ow.
Yeah, apparently they used the voice actress's labor pains for that to make it as real as possible. It worked.
This is a criticism I have pretty consistently throughout RWBY, for a lot of characters who are supposed to be close to one another we just don't get any time for them to really interact one on one with each other. It makes it harder to really feel the relationship between some of them.
They don't get a lot of time for anything most episodes.
Also, one of the sisters is wearing what is basically the uniform of the camp staff in Camp Camp, a show created by Miles Luna. Which always makes me imagine the comically corrupt camp existing on Remnant, and realizing that several of the characters would thrive scarily well on a death world.
I want that fanfic now.

So this is one of the times where RWBY is just really bad at conveying what is supposed to be going on here. The clock is not actually giving a boost in of itself, it's meant to be a timer for Tock because her Semblance only lasts for 60 seconds. What that Semblance is supposed to be is complete invulnerability for that 60 seconds.
That explains a bit about the fight, namely how Tock here won: Maria couldn't buy enough time for Tock's invulnerability to wear off, and probably didn't know she needed to.

Yeah. The other example that comes to mind is Ruby & Pyrrha - they barely got any screen time between the breakneck timeskips, we had to infer the friendship from the first silver eyes incident.

And while it's not immediately obvious, she still has one of those weapons in the here and now as her cane. I'm pretty sure that's how she got down the well last episode. She might be old, but she still has landing strategies.
Well there you go. Gravity Dust - it's pretty handy.

I think its a hover tram using gravity dust, actually. At least, that was always what I assumed.
Honestly, that gets into awkward questions about where the line is between a tram with no rails and a bus.

Fun detail. Ancient greek poet Sapphos of Lesbos had most of her works survive to the modern day on terracotta pottery shards.
There are times for subtlety. This is not one of those times.
Where did I put that clip...

...if you spell "subtly" like this:

(fiery background visuals, rocking background music, various interesting text effects)

SUBTLY

Yeah, apparently they used the voice actress's labor pains for that to make it as real as possible. It worked.
I say again: Ow.

V06C08 Dead End New

V06C08 Dead End

The date given in the (longer) ad for gen:LOCK's premiere is (checks) the date of the release of the last episode of RWBY V6. We're going to be sitting through increasingly long gen:LOCK ads for the rest of the Volume, aren't we.

Yang tries to manually reopen the gates of the Argus military base, which doesn't work, and even if it did she'd have a bad time. The gate guards are utterly unreceptive to anybody's attempts at persuasion: the garrison remains present, but they're not taking callers from Mistral. (The hats on these guards. Not to mention their attitudes and observed personalities.) They have to use poor Weiss as a bargaining chip to even get an appointment with the base commander.

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks these guards are acting weird. Atlas' finest, these are not.

It then emerges that the last-known base commander has a personal dislike of Maria. Great. /s

It then emerges that they are still the base commander. Special Operative Caroline Cordovin, who is about the same height as Maria when Maria's hunched over, trades perfunctory insults with her before remarking that she's "chosen larger contraband to smuggle this time". Ruby attempts to prevent further insults by deploying Ruby diplomacy. It doesn't work.

I'm going with Maria's theory that Cordovin has been assigned here because nobody wanted her in Atlas. Unfortunately for Argus, this means that the unofficial ambassador from Atlas (as far as Atlas would even have ambassadors) is too far up herself to realise she's an Atlas supremacist, and she can staff the base with sycophants like these gate guards. The Peter Principle in action, folks.

Cordovin continues not to give anybody the time of day. She says that of course they'd escort Weiss home, but h*ck the rest of you. Weiss isn't interested in that, so the gates shut again. Qrow, despite Ruby's best attempts to persuade him otherwise, goes off for a drink or several. Nora is confident they don't need Qrow's help to plan - after all, they have Ozpin. Oh dear, nobody's briefed Team JNR on the events with Jinn yet.

Jaune, having been briefed, punches the wall of Saph and Terra's living room hard enough to damage it. Basically he's taking it about as well as Qrow did. Nora and Ren tend more towards drained anger than violent anger, but the theme is the same.

Ren asks how they're meant to win if Salem is unkillable (making the same unfounded logical leap from 'Ozma can't kill Salem' to 'Salem is unkillable' that everybody else did). Nobody has an answer. Oscar tries some diplomacy and steps right into Jaune's crosshairs:
"Look, none of this is great, we know. But we're not the bad guys here."

"Are we sure about that?"
Jaune is extremely suspicious that Oscar might have known beforehand. Don't do it Jaune. Jaune, don't do it. DON'T DO IT JAUNE

No matter how much I shout at my screen, Jaune does it anyway. Title sequence foreshadowing strikes again! Ruby nearly has to pull him off Oscar. Jaune my dude, it is not going to help the military's opinion if you singlehandedly summon a Grimm attack.

This only leaves Adam as unresolved title sequence foreshadowing - and honestly he's not guaranteed to turn up again. My evidence for that is that Melanie and Miltia probably had more cumulative screentime in the V2 titles than in the one Chapter in which they appeared.

Jaune storms off to a guest room. Nora and then Ren follow suit. Blake suggests they could perhaps all use some space to decompress. Spare a thought for Oscar, who ran away from home to try and save the world and is now stuck halfway across the continent with eight people who all hate the guy he didn't ask to have in his head (and with Maria, but there's limits to how much she can accomplish).

Later, Qrow isn't picking up his phone, which concerns Ruby greatly enough that she throws her Scroll into the yard while yelling. "You know," says Maria, "I came out here to avoid the yelling." "The others" are food shopping, which leaves Ruby some space to have a leadership talk with Maria. Ruby has no plan and it's eating away at her.
"You know, you don't give yourself enough credit."

"Oh... thanks."

"That wasn't a compliment."

"Uh... what?"

"If I have to explain it to you, it'll just defeat the purpose."
This has been Cryptic Advice with Maria Calavera. Now onwards to silver eyes discussion.

Maria is a bit disappointed at how little has been told to Ruby already. Not that even Maria's father, who taught her back in the day, knew that much more - there was very little information for him to find. But the silver eyes were (and are) a very rare trait - rare enough that, given their power, clearly there was some organised effort to destroy them. Yes Ruby, probably Salem. (This does not necessarily follow - perhaps wielders just tend to overestimate themselves or something.)

Maria tells Ruby that her training and Semblance should still be her go-to means of combat. Speaking of Semblances, Maria's is sharper reflexes and senses, going some way to explain how she survived the ambush that took her sight.

Ruby would still like to know "how to laser-beam monsters with my eyeballs", which earns her a whap on the head with Maria's cane (which looks like it started life as one of her weapons) and an admonishment that that's entirely the wrong frame of mind for it. The right frame of mind, as Maria coached her into a couple of Chapters ago, is protectiveness. Which opposes destruction, and so definitely falls under the domain of creation. As the God of Darkness made Grimm, so the God of Light granted the powers of silver light. This became clear to Maria as a result of Jinn's vision. Flashback to it, where Light's eyes were, in fact, silver when He annihilated all the Grimm in Darkness' domain in the leadup to the god-fight that nearly was.

Practice will need Grimm. In the meantime, says Maria, Ruby can train herself to think of it as a protective ability.

But wait, says Ruby, if the silver light only hurts Grimm then how did it hurt Cinder at Haven? "Perhaps there was something that you just weren't seeing?" says Maria. Yeah there was, it's called Cinder's Grimm arm.

Yang calls Ruby inside to report the bad news: Oscar is missing. Uh oh. Great job Teams RWBY and JNR, you scared him off.

The credits reveal that for the first time two characters shared a voice actor: the gate guards. Not surprising given they were pretty much both the same character.

Next time: Volume 3 flashbacks intensify.

even if it did she'd have a bad time

Based off the usual Atlas soldier level of competence, it would not be Yang having the bad day. And these guys...

Atlas' finest, these are not.

... Yeah.

she's an Atlas supremacist

Also racist, based off the comments made towards Blake here.

The Peter Principle in action, folks.
It's a noble Atlas tradition!

Qrow, despite Ruby's best attempts to persuade him otherwise, goes off for a drink or several.

V5 Episode 1 all over again folks!

Jaune does it anyway.

This has been building since Qrow first told him about the Maidens, honestly, and poor Oscar is stuck in the line of fire. Really, Oscar goes through a lot, when the only reason Ozs misbehavior even got exposed is because he was brave enough to risk the possible wrath of the guy hijacking his body.

eight people who all hate the guy he didn't ask to have in his head

At least RWBY recognize he's not that dumbass, and even Nora and Ren clearly recognized Jaune was in the wrong here.

This has been Cryptic Advice with Maria Calavera.

Honestly, it's not THAT cryptic, but Ruby does need to spelled out a bit clearer, given her inferiority issues, and the fact that, with Oz Missing in Oscars Head and Qrow trying to inhale several bottles at once, she's moving into the position of leader of this entire expedition, not just RWBY. She doesn't have time to figure out riddles!

This became clear to Maria as a result of Jinn's vision. Flashback to it, where Light's eyes were, in fact, silver when He annihilated all the Grimm in Darkness' domain in the leadup to the god-fight that nearly was.

... Actually, now that I think about it, how did Maria see Jinns vision? Was it filtered through her optics still, with all the static and such that comes with it, or was it beamed direct into her mind and came through with no issues? If it was the later, that must have been an odd feeling after so long with the bionics...

Uh oh. Great job Teams RWBY and JNR, you scared him off.

Eh, I blame one person for that.

Ren asks how they're meant to win if Salem is unkillable (making the same unfounded logical leap from 'Ozma can't kill Salem' to 'Salem is unkillable' that everybody else did). Nobody has an answer. Oscar tries some diplomacy and steps right into Jaune's crosshairs:

I mean, she does appear to be quite unkillable even at this point in time. The problem is you don't need to kill her. You need to beat her, and those are two very, very different questions.

Now is the time that we should start figuring out how all those other settings seal away their ancient evil for 10,000 years people.

This only leaves Adam as unresolved title sequence foreshadowing - and honestly he's not guaranteed to turn up again. My evidence for that is that Melanie and Miltia probably had more cumulative screentime in the V2 titles than in the one Chapter in which they appeared.

Yea that was always awkward. Especially when they and Junior kept getting put in as some of the main villains when all they really did was get into a bar fight with Yang once and let Roman hire some goons through them?

Maria is a bit disappointed at how little has been told to Ruby already

Yea OZ. Sure would have been helpful if there was an ancient immortal who has seen other silver eyed warriors before around to teach her at least some of these things and give her an idea of what to go off of, wouldn't it OZ?

But wait, says Ruby, if the silver light only hurts Grimm then how did it hurt Cinder at Haven? "Perhaps there was something that you just weren't seeing?" says Maria. Yeah there was, it's called Cinder's Grimm arm.

Speaking of, someone recently pointed out something about the Grimm in Cinder that bothers me. Cinder's Grimm bug was in her right hand, so why did all of the damage from the beacon eye lasers show up pretty much exclusively on her left?

Speaking of, someone recently pointed out something about the Grimm in Cinder that bothers me. Cinder's Grimm bug was in her right hand, so why did all of the damage from the beacon eye lasers show up pretty much exclusively on her left?

As I recall, there was a slight miscommunication when the animation team was working on the flashback, in part because they hadn't decided yet if the grimm was going to be in her gear or... well, in her directly.

The no-prize explanation is the damn thing crawled around inside her... And I wish I hadn't seen this post while eating...

That was the side closest to Ruby. Here's a better question: If the Grimm was just in her arm, why did Ruby's power take out most of her face?

The answer is obvious but somewhat unsettling.

V06C09 Lost New

V06C09 Lost

The same gen:LOCK ad as last time? Really?

Emerald and Mercury are somewhere, presumably a back room of Salem's castle. They commiserate about not being told things. I know some more folks they could commiserate with about not being told things.

I think it's serious talk time™: Emerald asks Mercury why he signed up with Cinder and Emerald so long ago. "Just made sense," says Mercury. When Emerald is very confused by that answer, he elaborates that his father groomed him from birth to kill, and they showed up to recruit a killer moments after he killed said father. Remember Mercury's messed-up backstory? It's easy to have forgotten in the three Volumes since, especially since Penny was alive at the time we flashed back to it. Anyway, Mercury ascribes this to basically fate.

This still isn't a good enough answer for Emerald, who insists there must be something Mercury wants. Mercury says sure, Salem promised them top positions in her future imperial court. Emerald still isn't buying it. Remember Emerald's slightly less messed-up backstory? "Cinder was the only family I've ever had." And she's losing faith now that Cinder's MIA (but totally still alive, Salem promises).

Mercury breaks it to her that Cinder doesn't actually care about either of them. This might have been the wrong thing to say to someone whose self-image is built entirely on Cinder caring. He doubles down. Now they're fighting.

"I'm sorry you didn't have a mummy that loved you."
Mercury continues to Mercury. (Note that he didn't either, really.) ...he's got his own issues to pour into this fight, and now that Emerald has simmered down again she's on the physical defensive.

Holy cow, Mercury's father stole his Semblance. And then Mercury never got it back, because the two of them had a collective Raven-style strength complex. Anyways, he's just fine where he is, being strong in Salem's service. Cue Tyrian, with full prosthetic stinger fitted, to make fun of him for it.

Mercury, goaded into attacking Tyrian, is defeated with hilarious ease. Not strong. Emerald attempts to intervene, but Tyrian tells them "a little secret": Shockingly normal-sounding career advice.
"'What do you want from this?' Children, please. If you're not loving what you're doing, then you're in the wrong field."
I guess normal career advice wouldn't be well-known in Salem's service.

Emerald asks if he's saying they should find a different field; Tyrian, being Tyrian, says absolutely not, he's just saying bye before he and Watts go to Atlas to "prepare" in case Ironwood tries something inconvenient to them. Emerald and Mercury are unsettled as Watts notifies Tyrian of final call for boarding. Are they unsettled by the nature of "prepare", or just by Tyrian being Tyrian? We might find out sometime.

A long time ago, the best strategy anyone had for finding a fleeing team member loose in Vale was to wander the streets shouting their name. The gang are now in distant Argus and at least doubled in size, but some things just never change. Saphron may be filling out Team JNRS, but it is left to Ren to tell them that Argus is big enough for that not to be a terribly practical strategy. Jaune, being Jaune, blames himself for Oscar leaving, and this time rightly so. They can't even talk freely about why because reading in Saphron the whole way would probably hurt more than it helped.

As they wander the streets of Argus now too busy chattering to probably-pointlessly shout Oscar's name, Saphron suggests that if they're at loose ends, they could train further at Haven and then settle in Argus. After all, theirs is not the only mission and they're not the only ones who can complete it. Oh Saphron, you can't be told how wrong you are and it makes me sad.

Saphron splits to pick up Adrian (the child, I'm guessing) from childcare. Jaune is not having a great time and brushes off Nora and Ren trying to shore him up. The latter leave temporarily for a café (it is night now, they're all a bit cold). Jaune, parked on a bench, sees a maple leaf blow by. Volume 3 flashbacks intensify. It blows into a park and he follows it.

And here come the lyrics...

Volume 3 flashbacks intensify again because the leaf has led Jaune to a roughly-2:1-scale statue-memorial of Pyrrha Nikos. The lyrics are not helping in the slightest.

Jaune patches his emotional wounds again, turns to leave, and is interrupted by somebody who was bringing flowers and appears to bear a familial resemblance to Pyrrha. Certainly she talks like she knew Pyrrha well, although that could just be parasocial. Jaune doesn't think her platitudes are really helping:
"She should be standing here."

"She is."
Pyrrha, continues the stranger, made the choices to fight that led to her death because to a Hunter, which she aspired to be, they weren't choices at all: no other option was palatable. This gets Jaune into a condition to offer his own help:
"Pyrrha never got the chance to graduate. But she was a Huntress."
The stranger really appreciates that. Then she disappears while Jaune is momentarily distracted by the return of Nora and Ren. They get most of the way to him before noticing the statue.

Jaune starts apologising again before Nora and Ren hijack the serious talk to inform him in no uncertain terms that he's not allowed to blindly follow Pyrrha (e.g. late Volume 5) without considering the impact that would have on Nora and Ren (who have had this talk before, Nora to Ren late in Volume 4).

This park is full of onion ninjas.

This is Ruby's unimpressed face. "I've never seen him this bad," says Yang. Team RWBY+M have found Qrow - passed out on somebody's front steps. If he's been reaching new depths of drinking problem already, he's going to go through to the small-m mantle when they tell him about Oscar. They tell him as Teams JNR and STA return from the other direction. Is this their front steps? Terra is not over the moon with having a drunk guy on them.

Jaune has resolved that they're all (including Oscar after they find him) going to Atlas. He tells Saphron he's sorry to leave and gets a "No you're not! /s" in response.

Terra suggests they go inside where it's not cold. Cue Oscar to appear from inside. Oscar made his peace with having a limited time before being absorbed into Ozma, went out (without telling anyone) and procured himself an actual combat outfit, and then went back home to cook dinner for everyone, completely missing everyone looking for him (not that that was hard).

Qrow, being Qrow, attempts to leave for the upper floor. Ruby won't have a bar of it: it's time for actual family interactions, darn it! Qrow rains on the parade by stating they've made no progress towards Atlas. Jaune has an idea?

Jaune's idea is grand theft aircraft. It goes down like a lead balloon with Weiss, Yang, and particularly Qrow. Ruby steamrolls Qrow. Orchestral remix of the last part of the title song as Ruby makes a Ruby speech about the importance of Qrow not assuming that he's the only one who can have ideas.
Ruby: "And if you think you can keep up with us kids... we'd be happy to have you."

Maria: (giggles) "Looks like you didn't give her enough credit either."
Qrow appears to have stopped raining. Ruby speeches have that effect on people.

The credits are using a completely different font face and colour. It's slightly disconcerting, but much more readable. The stranger in the park has the same voice actor as Pyrrha used to, lending credence to the idea that the character is related to Pyrrha. The music is also shared with that sequence (please stop).

Next time: Not again!

Hey Nora and Adrian are all for stealing an airship!

CRWBY have been rather coy about who exactly Red-haired Woman is other than she's not a ghost. She is voiced by Pyrrha's VA though.

I think it's serious talk time™

And here comes actual development for Mercury! Really, he's with Team Evil because he simply doesn't know anything else, and he's convinced himself it's where he's meant to be. Tragic really. We still haven't seen any hints there's any actual depth to his character, or potential for him to grow in directions not approved of by Salem, but it's nice to see. Also as a nice touch, at the start of this scene, he's working on his punching, as opposed to kicking based techniques.

The fact it's Tyrian that calls him out as a little kid playing adult is fascinating. But then, Tyrian IS the prime example of being himself and doing what he loves. Also of note is that he and Watts are going to Atlas to make sure Ironwood keeps doing what he's doing. He's not a knowing member of Team Evil, but he's playing right into their hands, again. It's fascinating they've built so much of their strategy around what they expected Ironwood to do.

Jaune, being Jaune, blames himself for Oscar leaving, and this time rightly so

Nice job Vomit Boy.

Volume 3 flashbacks intensify again because the leaf has led Jaune to a roughly-2:1-scale statue-memorial of Pyrrha Nikos.

Yup, turns out our girl was from Argus. While she'd likely be uncomfortable about the statue and being put above all the others who died, this is her town, and there were people who loved her, even if her skill and fame left her slightly separate.

This is Ruby's unimpressed face. "I've never seen him this bad," says Yang

Yup. Qrows alcoholism has now well and truly crossed the line from 'funny comic relief aspect' into 'he was always a god damn alcoholic and barely had it under control.' The fact that while Yang has never seen him this bad, she's not surprised to find him drunk, says a lot. These girls have put up with a lot of shit from Qrow over the years.

Terra is not over the moon with having a drunk guy on them.

I mean, that's fair.

Oscar made his peace with having a limited time before being absorbed into Ozma, went out (without telling anyone) and procured himself an actual combat outfit, and then went back home to cook dinner for everyone, completely missing everyone looking for him (not that that was hard).

I dunno if he's actually made peace, but he's a farm boy. Putting your angst aside and getting shit done is a lifestyle requirement. It's likely also why the Apathy didn't stop him from changing the tire a few episodes back.

proceeds to be damn useless. Qrow REALLY isn't a leader, and can't figure out what to do without one.

Ruby won't have a bar of it

Fortunately, Ruby is stepping into the position.

Qrow rains on the parade by stating they've made no progress towards Atlas

Well yes qrow. Instead of looking for a way, or even brainstorming, you went looking for the worm at the bottom of the tequila bottle, but started in the whiskey and vodka first, just in case.

Jaune's idea is grand theft aircraft. It goes down like a lead balloon with Weiss, Yang, and particularly Qrow.

But Adrian LOVES it. Arc family trait: Down for Crime.

the importance of Qrow not assuming that he's the only one who can have ideas.

Also because Qrow couldn't be bothered to even try for ideas, and they're not gonna sit around waiting for his drunk ass.

Back