Maya's eyes bulged as she saw the next name on the piece of paper. 'Kodama Horaki, seventeen' the paper proclaimed and followed with a list of details and statistics Maya was too dizzy to read. Looking around and seeing she was alone Maya put down the folder and sighed. "Well shit."
Oh boy. Minor cases of nepotism and possible workplace harassment suits, HO!

He had his jacket, made for him by some of the crew at the Nevada base as a gift. Silver trimmed with black and dark red patches to match with his Eva

The morning continued in this way, with Kensuke asking Shinji about every aspect of piloting that he could with Shinji occasionally brushing him off when he got too personal or close to something secret. Shinji, in turn, would ask Kensuke about the goings on at the school and around the city. Most of it was... mundane to say the least. They talked of their classmates like Mayumi, the previous new kid before Shinji and a wallflower that had nonetheless developed quite a following. About Kaneda the school's star baseball player and how he had led them to every championship he attended and Kyoko and Sayaka, whom half the class was convinced were dating in secret. Shinji found it strange, these small things, these grains of sand from other people's lives. They filled him with hope: To see and hear about those he had saved.

"KANEDA!"

"TETSUO!"

"Shut it you two!"

"Yes class rep."

Maya's eyes bulged as she saw the next name on the piece of paper. 'Kodama Horaki, seventeen' the paper proclaimed and followed with a list of details and statistics Maya was too dizzy to read. Looking around and seeing she was alone Maya put down the folder and sighed. "Well shit."​

"So what experience do you have?"

"Well I worked for a few years at an Orange Julius stand, I'm not sure its entirely applicable to NERV."

"It applies more than you would think."

There is no indication whatsoever Ritsuko swings that way, and having her swing that way is just so... convenient.
However there's nothing that says she doesn't. And also remember Maya was only suggested to be a lesbian by the way she acts around Rits. which could easily be less attraction and more respect. Even the thing with seeing Rits with gnRei could be explained as such.

Given what beast mode is...
...they tested that on him? Goddamnit. Fuck you, Mari.​
What's Beast Mode?

How... surprisingly socially aware of Rei.
Well it's not like Ken hides what he's like.
good chapter. the details about Shinji's other classmates are rare to see. and most welcome
Agreed. Though i can't help but wonder is Mayumi and Kaneda a shout out, and if it is to what.
By way of @Strypgia and A&T. Don't worry though there will be no magic cat rabbits or magic girls here. There may be some soul crushing depression... But that comes with eva:p
Mental issues is to Eva is what sand and heat is to a desert.

Last edited:
Well, so no Ritsuko/Maya even possible here. Which is probably for the better: There is no indication whatsoever Ritsuko swings that way, and having her swing that way is just so... convenient.

Also, interesting what Ritsuko considers to be fun in life :p (just kidding)

However there's nothing that says she doesn't. And also remember Maya was only suggested to be a lesbian by the way she acts around Rits. which could easily be less attraction and more respect. Even the thing with seeing Rits with gnRei could be explained as such.
My interpretation is that Ritsuko is straight and that Maya is a lesbian. Ritsuko does not really show any signs to me while Maya's EOE scene is fairly obvious. With Shinji and Kaworu being the other queer characters in the show. I should say however that I don't mind if other people interpret Rits as gay or write her as such for a fic. Heck, I wrote Kensuke as bi in NME so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to get upset.
Given what beast mode is...
...they tested that on him? Goddamnit. Fuck you, Mari.

Beast mode is something seen in the rebuild movies as a kind of emergency protocol. It releases all of the restraints an Eva has and injects it with the giant robot equivalent of a massive adrenaline shot. Forcing the unit into a berserk-like state. Its a very powerful way to get back into the fight but it can also cause mental corruption in the pilot since the two are closely linked. Its a blind hail mary feature only to be used if your about to die.
Well it's not like Ken hides what he's like.
Indeed, I imagined he tried to pull the same routine with Rei when she showed up and he figured out she was a pilot only to be stonewalled.

Ehhh... the only proof we have for Maya being really into Rits is from EoE, but it's quite powerful - Maya's Rei appearing as Ritsuko, hugging her tenderly from behind, writing "I need you" on her laptop... yeah, I'd say that's pretty much a romantic desire. So I think we can close the case on Maya being lesbian. Meanwhile, there is nothing indicating something similar for Ritsuko.

And sure, there is also nothing saying the opposite, and orientation changes happen in fanfics anyway (Asuka being bi in my NME...), but still... as I've said, it's just so very convenient if she can reciprocate Maya's feelings.
From the Rebuild movies. Basically, it's the Evangelion giving up its human form... and also the pilot, synched with the EVA, giving up on their humanity. And, as Mari said to EVA-02 when she enacted the beast mode: "I'll suffer with you, Unit 02". So it seems to be physically painful, and what's more, risking the very humanity of the pilot. As a desperate last Hail Mary maneouvre it's one thing, but something that is actively tested and planned for... with the pilot subjected to that test...

Really enjoyed that chapter, was nice to see Shinji interacting with Hikari first in the school and being allowed to learn/settle into things there. I'm intrigued as to how you handle his school life going forward. He seems ever so slightly more confident around people due to his upbringing but obviously has a lot of issues there still. Things will also be quite interesting when Touji comes into the picture too. The little scene with Rei sharing lunch with him was cute too, I was amused by her offhand comments about Kensuke too. :p

I'm intrigued by this little subplot with Maya/Kodama too. Looking forward to seeing how far it goes and how it will be handled.

Keep up the good work :)

Judging by Kensuke's response, I'm wondering if Toji was the one injured during the battle and not Sakura...
That would explain Hikari's look when Shinji told her what he did.
Definitely, I did think Hikari's reaction was a little strange. I had assumed that maybe she had already known about Touji's sister or that she just found it a bit scary/unnerving but that would make sense.
It also would explain why he wasn't mentioned at all this chapter. I'm sure at the least Kensuke would have mentioned his only other friend in the class when telling Shinji about the rest.

I meant as a fanfic.
HEAR ME EVA FANFIC WRITERS!!! I AM ISSUING A CHALLENGE!!!! THE ONE WHO MAKES A SHINJI OR KENSUKE X REIS FIC SHALL BE FOREVER KNOWN AS THE GREATEST FANFIC WRITER!!!!! DO YOU ALL HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
In all seriousness, it wouldn't work.

Personally, I'm all for R/S, or secondarily K/S. And you know why I prefer those two options? Because those are two people who don't put further demands on Shinji, who don't just want to use him for something. They are people who just quietly support Shinji (well, as much as Rei can in her limited social capability). Not people who just bring further issues to Shinji, further challenges, but who can support him in the challenges he already has.

And well, you know, this would get kinda lost if things got harem-y.

Personally, I'm all for R/S, or secondarily K/S. And you know why I prefer those two options? Because those are two people who don't put further demands on Shinji, who don't just want to use him for something. They are people who just quietly support Shinji (well, as much as Rei can in her limited social capability). Not people who just bring further issues to Shinji, further challenges, but who can support him in the challenges he already has.

I don't get this reasoning at all. What exactly is so special about Shinji that he should get love and acceptance without lifting a finger to understand anyone else? Is there some great virtue to purposely hiding from people who need your help? To abandon people to die out of nothing more than a fear of failure? To cry out for support in one breath, and then refuse to support others with the next?

In other news, I hope Mari develops a bunch more super modes for Shinji to abuse during fights. Like that Cat Mode from 3.0.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, it wouldn't work.

And well, you know, this would get kinda lost if things got harem-y.
I don't get this reasoning at all. What exactly is so special about Shinji that he should get love and acceptance without lifting a finger to understand anyone else? Is there some great virtue to purposely hiding from people who need your help? To abandon people to die out of nothing more than a fear of failure? To cry out for support in one breath, and then refuse to support others with the next?
And Rei doesn't put further demands on Shinji and doesn't just want to use him for something because she's usually too apathetic to do anything with Shinji, good or bad. The only times she isn't too apathetic she dies before she can do anything. And that's not even getting into EOE, where she put the weight of the world on his shoulders with given him the Choice, after he lost everything.
In other news, I hope Mari develops a bunch more super modes for Shinji to abuse during fights. Like that Cat Mode from 3.0.
Shinji: "CAT MODE ENGAGE!!!
Eva1(sprouts cat ears and tail)NYAAAAAA!
Shinji:Nya? Nya nya...? Nya nya. NYA NYA NYA! NYAAAAAAAAAAA!(Nya? What is it...? Why can i only say Nya? MARIIIIIII!)

Last edited:
To weigh in, while unconditional love is something that everyone should experience in some form, I don't think Shinji, during the Angel War or for a long time after 3I (or Near-3I, or whatever the story caps off with) is psychologically ready for the stress of putting himself in as much emotional vulnerability as a romantic relationship entails, barring some major repair to his psyche going on during the events of the story.

TBH Shinji as presented in the series would never be ready for any kind of serious relationship, especially as he constantly elects to do nothing when confronted with situations he feels he cannot handle even when it is definitely to his detriment to do so.

TBH Shinji as presented in the series would never be ready for any kind of serious relationship, especially as he constantly elects to do nothing when confronted with situations he feels he cannot handle even when it is definitely to his detriment to do so.
I kinda agree and disagree. I agree that as he is in the series Shinji would not be ready or able to enter a healthy relationship, regardless of who the object of his affections was (The same is true for most of the cast really, Evangelion is known as dysfunction junction for a reason). That is why most romance fics adjust the characters somewhat to be either more adjusted or more willing to change. I can't judge canon Shinji too harshly for how he is. He is just under too much mounting stress as each battle gets more and more difficult to really deal with his problems. Is his passiveness a flaw? Yes definitely, but in the face of what he is going through, I have a hard time judging him and trying to optimize him. Pivoting slightly to speak about BNB Shinji I would say its a difficult question. His time with Mari and the rest has given him much more self-worth and confidence but also made him deeply focused on his perceived duties, to the point he may reject any feelings of affection in favor of his job.

Back