Well very intriguing, always nice to see our resident spy although does seem like things aren't quite going his way at the moment.

"You know..." Kaji gritted his teeth as he waded into this old argument. "Your dad was not exactly the only person that died that day..."

What Misato said next threw him for a loop. If I met the people who killed my brother... or their children... what would I do? He was honestly not sure; some things were beyond control. One thing was certain, however, he was not going to say any of this to a drunk Misato. "That's a pretty fucked up thing to ask me, captain." His tone was ice.
Misato just asked him what he would do if he met the people who killed his brother, or their children? Given Shinji's...status, that certainly seems like an alarming question. Maybe.

This line in particular made me giggle.

Oh ouch, what a burn... :)
Great minds or fools? :p
To Misato or Gendo?

Loved the interlude. Though the "more like a punching bag then a sister" line is making me all kinds of...well i'm having bad premonitions.

Eh, she's thirteen. Sibling relationships can be like that at that age, but they usually grow out of it.

Asuka is not a very good sister, to be honest. She is very split in how she treats her, on one hand they are very close and in many ways Rebecca is Asuka's closest companion in others... well it was no secret that while she was alive Kyoko hated Rebecca and would often complain about her to Asuka. So while Asuka wants to be close to Rebecca, some part of her feels like she is betraying mama when she does and so she lashes out.

Sighing in relief when Misato said Shinji was fine gave way to a sigh of weariness when she said it involved her father. I should have known. "You know..." Kaji gritted his teeth as he waded into this old argument. "Your dad was not exactly the only person that died that day..."

This is pretty much Misato most of the time:

"Aurora base."

Originally, it had been a mega-oil platform off the north coast of Alaska, created by a coalition of the USA, Russia, and Canada, in order to access deposits made accessible by Second Impact. However, the project, like so many others, had eventually been taken over by NERV. Since then, the base had been used as a testing outpost, officially to measure the effects of Second Impact on global weather patterns. However, it had grown a reputation among the NERV community for being far more secretive and far more costly then that purpose would require. And now, whatever the hell they're doing... they're going to use that sample Gendo wanted. The thought, like the waters that surrounded the base in question, was chilling.

So, Kaji's going to have to infiltrate a base located near Alaska that storing something the goverments of the world would rather not admit exists for shadowing reasons?

Eh, she's thirteen. Sibling relationships can be like that at that age, but they usually grow out of it.
Not if there is a mentally healthy parent to put a stop to that.
And we know Asuka won't grow out of it. Made even worse by the fact we seen how she treated Shinji, someone her own age. I can't help but be very worried about Rebeca.
Misato just asked him what he would do if he met the people who killed his brother, or their children? Given Shinji's...status, that certainly seems like an alarming question. Maybe.
Made even worse by the fact that Shinji isn't a child of an Angel. I can't help but feel Misato's letting her anger compromise her...well everything. I honestly am worried Misato is going to pull the whole "Asuka in the volcano" thing again. Only her anger won't be blinding her to Shinji's safety, but making her perfectly aware of how easy Shinji could die.
Asuka is not a very good sister, to be honest. She is very split in how she treats her, on one hand they are very close and in many ways Rebecca is Asuka's closest companion in others... well it was no secret that while she was alive Kyoko hated Rebecca and would often complain about her to Asuka. So while Asuka wants to be close to Rebecca, some part of her feels like she is betraying mama when she does and so she lashes out.
And we know how bad her "tsundere" attitude @#$%ed everything up.
This is pretty much Misato most of the time:
Her and everyone else. Heck Kaji isn't all that much better, despite how most people credit him as being at peace. He was always very distant with everyone, which i can't help but think is what helped sour his and Misato's relationship. And even then he's still better then most of the characters.

And we know how bad her "tsundere" attitude @#$%ed everything up.
Of course, as Kaji notes, it isn't just that.

To be fair, Asuka has a better chance to grow out of it here than she ever did in canon. Yeah, a part of her remembers that her mother hated Rebecca, and every time she isn't mean to Rebecca, she feels like she's betraying her mother. At the same time, though, Rebecca is also basically her only living family, and at least while Mari and Shinji were in Germany, Asuka had an actual peer group that she cared about. That's feedback that in canon she didn't really have, and a chance to get better.

Whether or not it will be enough, we shall see.

To be fair, Asuka has a better chance to grow out of it here than she ever did in canon. Yeah, a part of her remembers that her mother hated Rebecca, and every time she isn't mean to Rebecca, she feels like she's betraying her mother. At the same time, though, Rebecca is also basically her only living family, and at least while Mari and Shinji were in Germany, Asuka had an actual peer group that she cared about. That's feedback that in canon she didn't really have, and a chance to get better.

Whether or not it will be enough, we shall see.
I sure hope so. But i can't help but think that it will go the way of canon. She sabotages herself until she is holding on by one finger, then The Giant Glowing Bird Of Mind Rape comes along. I mean she did have loved ones in canon, but she kept treating them(except Hikari) like trash most of the time. And it sounds like she still uses Eva as an identity, and Shinji has actually had training and a pretty big advantage alongside that.

Not if there is a mentally healthy parent to put a stop to that.
You'd be surprised. It is possible to eventually grow out of being a cunt the hard way when you can't get away with it anymore. (Source: My relationship with my little brother as teenagers was only slightly better than Asuka and Rebecca's, but as adults we can at least speak civilly and he even hugged me once, and the only mentally healthy parent we had was a largely absent one.)

*sigh* You know, sometimes it worries me how much relevant life-experience I have when it comes to writing or discussing NGE fanfic.

You'd be surprised. It is possible to eventually grow out of being a cunt the hard way when you can't get away with it anymore. (Source: My relationship with my little brother as teenagers was only slightly better than Asuka and Rebecca's, but as adults we can at least speak civilly and he even hugged me once, and the only mentally healthy parent we had was a largely absent one.)
Same as me. ...Well actually it depends on the sister. The one who was most like Asuka(only mine was worse), only really backed off when my parents wouldn't let her get away with half the crap she liked to pull(like the whole "it's always fault") and time seemed to get ride a lot of the rest. However that only started when she was...well she was getting ready to go to collage, it took a few years after that for her to smooth to the rest of the edges, and even then she still has her moments, though no where near a bad. For my other sisters some are the same, others were okay but got worse in some areas.
*sigh* You know, sometimes it worries me how much relevant life-experience I have when it comes to writing or discussing NGE fanfic.
For canon i only had maybe a general similarity(always more or less being on my own, but in a different way), however as you could guess this thing with Asuka in this fic is a lot like my past.

I can only hope that it does not come off as character bashing and that my own logic makes some sense. In some ways, I think we here are used to a bit of a sanitized version of Asuka that while a bit of a jerk is never really abusive or cruel. Oh, and in case anyone was wondering or worrying, Asuka having far more socialization growing up means that she does not have a weird crush on Kaji.

I can only hope that it does not come off as character bashing and that my own logic makes some sense. In some ways, I think we here are used to a bit of a sanitized version of Asuka that while a bit of a jerk is never really abusive or cruel. Oh, and in case anyone was wondering or worrying, Asuka having far more socialization growing up means that she does not have a weird crush on Kaji.
Oh i remember Asuka can be cruel, like when she laughed at Shinji's "death".
And i wouldn't call it a "weird crush". I mean who hasn't been like that. ...Well in less "Asuka" context.

I admit I am pretty shaken. I don't like to admit that kind of thing but it' true. I am not sure when or if I can write BnB again. Im sorry.

After a metric ton of hugs and support from people here and on Discord I will keep going with this. Thank you to everyone for weathering my moods (I am on strong Depression and anxiety meds for a reason). I would like to ask those still around though... what do you guys like about this fic? I have my own ideas but really posting a fic on a forum like this is all about the conversation and dialog with the audience. I would love to hear feedback on what you guys like and what you think I should change.

I can't really pinpoint any one thing to be honest, I just like the entire thing really. I guess I really like the world you've created here, it is a super interesting twist having Shinji be brought up in such a way. I think your handling of the characters is spot on, you always have such a great way of getting into the characters and bringing them to life especially on an emotional level.

I can't really pinpoint any one thing to be honest, I just like the entire thing really. I guess I really like the world you've created here, it is a super interesting twist having Shinji be brought up in such a way. I think your handling of the characters is spot on, you always have such a great way of getting into the characters and bringing them to life especially on an emotional level.
What he said. It's not one thing, it's the general idea plus all the little odds and ends you built around it.

I'm enjoying the differences from having the Point of Divergence be so far back that a lot is possible. 10 years is a lot of space, and you're doing well keeping the characters grounded in their recognizably canon selves, but enjoying the changes too: Shinji still puts others above himself in value, but is more grounded since he knows he's not alone thanks to having Asuka, Rebecca, and Kaworu in his childhood, and Mari shows far more concern for him than anyone did in canon, despite the troubling things she also does like the S2 Organ. Asuka is still a lot like the girl we know from canon, but has at least a couple people she's not afraid to let close. The NERV crew are alike, but still different from their usual selves, thanks to Mari's disruptive presence. And so on in that line: things are recognizable to canon, but changed, and I look forward to seeing how things develop.

Thanks guys :D

New chapter soon, I just keep getting distracted by things. Curse you Fate Grand Order!
If any character in the fic curses the existence of mobile games or such you will know its me projecting.

Back