A general strike is an anti-government protest. This was a boycott.

A very wide boycott, to be sure, but still just a boycott.
I would call it a strike. A lot of those nobles are essentially administrators and managers. Many of them run businesses like trade. The cross land barges especially leaned peacock.

And so when the urban poor went on strike the barges of Peacock nobles went unloaded. Their goods didn't get moved. The people they rely on to go about their day refused to show up.

A boycott would just be not buying their stuff. That likely happened as well, but this was also a refusal to work for them at all, and that's a lot worse for someone who is accustomed to being rich and obeyed.

I do worry that we run things too well to get the real pressures for Democracy. If the urban poor can make their voices heard and the kings of the people don't make tragic mistakes, then we don't really suffer the pressures to adopt a more representative system, at least for a while.

I do worry that we run things too well to get the real pressures for Democracy. If the urban poor can make their voices heard and the kings of the people don't make tragic mistakes, then we don't really suffer the pressures to adopt a more representative system, at least for a while.
I don't see too much of a problem with this. We want to slowly work our way up the nobility implementing elections. First you have elected mayors. Then you elects some Provence level positions of mild importance.

Then you start electing governors and parliaments eventually.

We can back into democracy the British way with minimal bloodshed.

A boycott would just be not buying their stuff.
The Delano Grape Strike would like to have a word. For that matter, the original boycott wasn't just refusing to purchase things from the man; Boycott's staff quit (some willingly, some under threat of violence), the mail wasn't delivered to him, and in general it was complete social ostracization.

This wasn't a general strike because nobles and patricians who weren't Peacocks were left alone. It was "merely" a vast boycott of anyone associated with the Peacocks.

The Delano Grape Strike would like to have a word. For that matter, the original boycott wasn't just refusing to purchase things from the man; Boycott's staff quit (some willingly, some under threat of violence), the mail wasn't delivered to him, and in general it was complete social ostracization.

This wasn't a general strike because nobles and patricians who weren't Peacocks were left alone. It was "merely" a vast boycott of anyone associated with the Peacocks.
I think we are saying the same thing with different words.

Strikes are workers refusing to work.
Boycotts are customers refusing to buy.

Both frequently go hand in hand.

This was a strike, but not a general strike. There was a boycott element as well.

Khemetri: 4/10 [C] R?

R is rival, but what does [C] mean again?
Civilised. It is the regular opinion scale to show how much they like us as a fellow civilised state.
There are three opinion scales: Barbarian, Civilized, and Ally. It is very difficult to conduct diplomacy to someone who thinks of you as a barbarian. The higher the Civilized Opinion Gauge is the more well inclined that polity is towards you, with exceptionally high opinion allowing alliance options. Ally only has a 5 point scale compared to the 10 point Civilized Scale. 1=Nonaggression Pact, 2=Favorable Trade Deals, 3=Mutual Defense Pact, 4=Free Trade, 5=Military Coordination. "R" denotes that they consider you a rival.

I don't see too much of a problem with this. We want to slowly work our way up the nobility implementing elections. First you have elected mayors. Then you elects some Provence level positions of mild importance.

Then you start electing governors and parliaments eventually.

We can back into democracy the British way with minimal bloodshed.
I'll agree that we did have one of the more peaceful transitions to an elected legislature, but it was hardly without bloodshed. Granted the 1600's civil wars were sparked more by fear of Catholicism and Kings that seemed to be trying to promote support of it in a time when it was also associated with absolute monarchs, but it was ostensibly still the elected (by the nobility) parliaments against the Stuart Monarchs. Though the unique circumstances of those wars should hopefully be completely avoidable, so long as we encourage conservative reform (as opposed to supporting reactionary nobles or going radical) where you can and you don't have a reactionary block force one of their candidates as an heir.

I'll agree that we did have one of the more peaceful transitions to an elected legislature, but it was hardly without bloodshed. Granted the 1600's civil wars were sparked more by fear of Catholicism and Kings that seemed to be trying to promote support of it in a time when it was also associated with absolute monarchs, but it was ostensibly still the elected (by the nobility) parliaments against the Stuart Monarchs. Though the unique circumstances of those wars should hopefully be completely avoidable, so long as we encourage conservative reform (as opposed to supporting reactionary nobles or going radical) where you can and you don't have a reactionary block force one of their candidates as an heir.
Thus why I said minimal, not none. Major government overhaul is messy even if done slowly.

But democracy is important. A large industrial society requires massive amounts of deligation and democracy is one of the best ways to get it done.

Last edited:
You know...that was probably one of the best outcomes for the loan offer possible. We gained influence, destroyed the peacocks, and got to keep the money to spend elsewhere.

Thus why I said minimal, not none. Major government overhaul is messy even if done slowly.

But democracy is important. A large industrial society requires massive amounts of deligation and democracy is one of the best ways to get it done.
We don't want to be first mover on democracy though, lest we end up with a constitution like the US or UK. Watch carefully as others make the mistakes while we try to build a robust delegation structure with posts that can become elected when we democratise using what we've learned.

Anyway, we are looking at 1 Authority and 4 Influence next turn. I'm thinking we put two Influence on the Math Reform and another on forgiving Amber Road's loan for the opinion boost. The final Influence can be used on a new action such as possibly contacting Vortuga or something like allying Pamplona or doing an Internal Factions report on the Khem.

@Aranfan I'm curious about the action order for Math Reform. We lose 1 Authority when Math Reform is in progress. Does this mean that we cannot use it next turn if we take Math Reform or does it mean that we can take a 1 Year action using our Authority next turn before it gets locked away by the Math Reform?

Anyway, we are looking at 1 Authority and 4 Influence next turn. I'm thinking we put two Influence on the Math Reform and another on forgiving Amber Road's loan for the opinion boost. The final Influence can be used on a new action such as possibly contacting Vortuga or something like allying Pamplona or doing an Internal Factions report on the Khem.

@Aranfan I'm curious about the action order for Math Reform. We lose 1 Authority when Math Reform is in progress. Does this mean that we cannot use it next turn if we take Math Reform or does it mean that we can take a 1 Year action using our Authority next turn before it gets locked away by the Math Reform?

I am absolutely in favor of going for the math reform and improving our relation with Amber Road.
The last action - well, diplomacy with Pamplona is looking really good.

Last edited:
I'm thinking we put two Influence on the Math Reform and another on forgiving Amber Road's loan for the opinion boost. The final Influence can be used on a new action such as possibly contacting Vortuga or something like allying Pamplona or doing an Internal Factions report on the Khem.
Would you consider Influence&Influence (Math Reform) + Influence&Influence (Warding, Pamp)? Then forgive AR's loan when Calendar Reform or Administrators finishes up next turn (hopefully).

Next year we get guild income. May I suggest building warship or another support province, this time going to Greenshore? Also, I just realized we no longer need to worry about losing influence.

The last action - well, diplomacy with Pamplona is looking really good.
It would be a nonaggression pact at first and I'm think it might only cost us 1 Opinion since it is only a level one alliance. I'm basing this off of a level three alliance with Amber Road costing us three opinion with them.
Would you consider Influence&Influence (Math Reform) + Influence&Influence (Warding, Pamp)? Then forgive AR's loan when Calendar Reform or Administrators finishes up next turn (hopefully).
I would rather wait until the turn after next turn before doing the Sacred Warding for Pamplona since then we should have some more Influence freed up. I don't like the idea of using all of our Influence on long multi-turn actions in a single turn.
Next year we get guild income. May I suggest building warship or another support province, this time going to Greenshore? Also, I just realized we no longer need to worry about losing influence.
The Math Reform will use up a fair chuck of Treasury and I would rather wait until we got some of our other ducks in order before doing warships. I would like to get started on some warships in two or three turns, not next turn.
Math Reform should eat that money, though, right? At least a little bit.
Math Reform costs 3 Treasury to take.

My tentative plans for the near future.
1625 = Math Reform and forgiving Amber Road's loan.
1626 = Sacred Warding and possibly Warships.
1627 = Warships if not already taken. We should also be expecting a war with Pulska over the Rus from this point onwards. Not that we need to worry about that beyond making sure we got a couple of Influence and a Treasury free.

Great Victory.

Time to do another internal faction report, but +2 influence and no more looking threat of -influence sounds good. I hope our new factions want to do things that we want to do, at least theoretically.
There's no certain threat of -Influence, but random events that rob us of a point of Influence have happened in the past. I think it'd be prudent to maintain the policy of keeping one of the Influences on a one-turn action.

We have a bunch of actions we can use to raise Pamp's opinion. Pay loan(unlikely), trade deal, build tie, and Sacred Warding.

lest we end up with a constitution like the US or UK.
The US one isn't that bad, just operates on a different philosophy, albeit one not without it's own problems. I mean, it wasn't made with the idea of it being completely redone every so many years to keep it up to date, and was written in a way that reflects that...
Though it was written after the Articles of Confederation disaster.

I would rather wait until the turn after next turn before doing the Sacred Warding for Pamplona since then we should have some more Influence freed up. I don't like the idea of using all of our Influence on long multi-turn actions in a single turn
That's fair. I just want to help our Basque friends.

Huh. When our heir comes to power, they will probably be the only two female rulers in the world(of non-trivial powers, at least, perhaps some HRE minor and certainly some minor state in North America or something), and neither will be puppets. Neat.

Back