Well, the numbers I can get off hand say 30 chords of wood per acre of land, with that turning to somewhere between 35-50 bushels of charcoal per chord. Let's say 5 years to let an acre of land regrow. This is likely accurate as you harvest quick growing trees like pine for non-lumber applications.

So sustainably, something like 300 bushels of charcoal per year per acre of land set aside for charcoal production. A bushel of charcoal is 20lbs of charcoal. That means an acre of land set aside for charcoal should produce something like 6000lbs of charcoal a year at the high end assuming efficient charcoal kilns.

How many acers of land do we have set aside for managed forests with harvesting to produce charcoal?

EDIT - Though the numbers for second growth pine are closer to 10 chords per acre of wood production, so 2000lbs of charcoal per acre per year.

IIRC, the math says that if a forest takes 20 years to regrow, that means we need 20 acres of forests for a sustainable cycle. So you would harvest an acre of forest every year until it comes full cycle.

IIRC, the math says that if a forest takes 20 years to regrow, that means we need 20 acres of forests for a sustainable cycle. So you would harvest an acre of forest every year until it comes full cycle.
Yeah, but pine doesn't have a 20 year growth cycle. It would depend on the optimal size to harvest for charcoal production is. 20 years is what you need to maximize lumber width. There isn't much point in growing longer than that, your tree is about full size. Pulpwood is something like 3 years. I would suspect that charcoal production is closer to pulpwood harvesting cycles than lumber, thus the 5 year cycle I estimate.

Yeah, but pine doesn't have a 20 year growth cycle. It would depend on the optimal size to harvest for charcoal production is. 20 years is what you need to maximize lumber width. There isn't much point in growing longer than that, your tree is about full size. Pulpwood is something like 3 years. I would suspect that charcoal production is closer to pulpwood harvesting cycles than lumber, thus the 5 year cycle I estimate.

If we're going with your estimate, than we need five acres of forest for 2000 pound of charcoal.

Well, the numbers I can get off hand say 30 chords of wood per acre of land, with that turning to somewhere between 35-50 bushels of charcoal per chord. Let's say 5 years to let an acre of land regrow. This is likely accurate as you harvest quick growing trees like pine for non-lumber applications.

The problem with charcoal production is that number varies based on multiple of factors due to the skills and kiln construction involved.

If we're going with your estimate, than we need five acres of forest for 2000 pound of charcoal.

The problem with charcoal production is that number varies based on multiple of factors due to the skills and kiln construction involved.
I already divided by five, unless I messed up the math.

And the low end production number per chord I gave is burn pile, the high end the sorts of kilns used in the early 1800s.

But kilns have been in use a long time and Ymar has been burning charcoal in them for a VERY long time.

Last edited:
I already divided by five, unless I messed up the math.

And the low end production number per chord I gave is burn pile, the high end the sorts of kilns used in the early 1800s.

But kilns have been in use a long time and Ymar has been burning charcoal in them for a VERY long time.

I am going to create a spreadsheet to calculate this all out and improve my knowledge of soil science and charcoal production.

I am going to create a spreadsheet to calculate this all out and improve my knowledge of soil science and charcoal production.
Honestly, they could have stumbled on a method that would requite a relatively very advanced understanding of the universe to explain. After all IRL Spanish Steel was molecularly superior to other steel because they stumbled on a method to induce a different, and superior molecular structure, in spite of not knowing at all what an atom was...

Honestly, they could have stumbled on a method that would requite a relatively very advanced understanding of the universe to explain. After all IRL Spanish Steel was molecularly superior to other steel because they stumbled on a method to induce a different, and superior molecular structure, in spite of not knowing at all what an atom was...

I wouldn't say it's impossible, because nobody actually put in the work to calculate if it's possible or not. I am just very interested in the logistics since I got nothing else occupying my mind with this quest.

In short, it's a different action that needs a different name and effect e.g.
[] Regional Outreach: Demonstrate the Benevolence of the Melkut Ymaryn through intense diplomacy, aid and services to all the parties of region. [4 years, 50%, expensive, + opinion in region, deepening political influence in the region, no cooldown]
I do imagine the Ymaryn, in giving their 200% in building ties with the Rus, could have accidentally stumbled upon another action.

"Wait, you think we're impartial and trustworthy? LOL... Whatever, we don't really care for your petty tribal disputes, but keeping your various sides happy is more convenient than war."

I'm concerned, however, that the Rus may be a unique case not really repeatable anywhere else.

Rusland directly borders our supporting infrastructure (including Sacred Herds) in Western Wall. We had a boost in both trust and opinion from liberating them and letting them go. A large Ymaryn party setting up within their settlements is less a threat than a curious follow-up, with missteps papered over by "generous" gifts. They'd very recently seen land that actually was cultivated to Ymaryn standards, and probably did want to learn how to do the same.

Pulling off the same in say, Kus or Western Syffron, is less likely to work for any of those reasons. (A lesser version might be possible, involving mostly gifts and maybe some support. It would also be expensive and unreliable--in case of hostile powers--to maintain supply lines that far; a regional outreach next to Ymaryn developed areas would avoid that particular problem.)

Concerning cost itself... a surprising number of costs are beneath the Ymaryn's notice (keeping City Levies active, 0.1 income being enough to increase other peoples' opinion), so it may not be as much as you think. By comparison, it costs -0.3 income to maintain the Bwyll ration in the Teheryn region (outright supplying food to historically around 500k(?), probably more in this universe). I would guess what we're doing here should be at most comparable, probably less, and maybe beneath the Ymaryn scale of notice (especially when offset by increased trade).

Admittedly, I'm not as well-versed in these subjects as other posters, so take with grains of salt.

"My friends at the academy! It turns out that having Ymaryn all over the place as an essential part of Rusland improves their opinion of us. Who could've known?"

Last edited:
Italy after the rise of Islam (when imports of grain from Tunisia and Egypt were no longer possible) had about 30% urbanization. Highly productive regions in Northern Europe like the low countries also hit 30% urbanization. As did China during the same period. During good times, urbanization could get as high as around 34-35%. The biggest constraint seems to be economic demand for cities - that is, if there weren't local industries with a large demand for non-farm labour, there weren't big cities. Obviously disease burden and how much severe war there was also tended to constrain urban populations.

With the guilds (giving cities a large economic role) and Ymaryn medicine, I think 30%-35% urbanization is plausible.

For reference, the Roman Empire (which did not farm gud) had an urban population of 25-30%.

So while 4-field rotation helps, I don't see any evidence for it being a pre-condition for high urban populations.

Huh. Well I stand corrected.

At its peak the Melkut Ymaryn probably was about 30-35% urbanized. Now of course they are much less urbanized, cause of all the disasters, but they should recover eventually.

Calculating charcoal production needed allow us to compute forest size necessary to sustain the Ymaryn Empire.

I doubt the empire needs any charcoal production for agriculture at all by now.

If it ever did need it.

Biochar is good for clay-poor soils since the charcoal particles act in a way very similar to how clay particles act in richer soils. So adding biochar to clay-depleted rainforest soils is a big deal. Adding biochar to soils that already have enough clay is very much gilding the lily. It doesn't hurt, but it is a waste of effort.

And the charcoal particles have a long useful life once in the soil, so in those parts of the Ymaryn realm that are clay-poor, once they have enough char particles distributed through the soil, they won't need much new char to be added each year.

(And yes, this is why adding broken pot to the black earth recipe would be useful, the clay in the shards is doing the same thing as the char.)

So the main demand for black earth is going to be land that is being reclaimed (like terraces in the mountains) or new territory that is being integrated. Since the empire is currently still recovering population wise, I am guessing there's not a great deal of land reclamation going on.

I wonder then if the Ymaryn priests are maintaining large earth banks where surplus black earth is accumulating...

EDIT - Though the numbers for second growth pine are closer to 10 chords per acre of wood production, so 2000lbs of charcoal per acre per year.

Hmmm. I wonder if the Ymaryn kiln technology allows for the pine tar, methanol and wood vinegar to be captured from that process? I would have thought at least tar would be captured, since pine tar is a key ingredient for ship building.

At its peak the Melkut Ymaryn probably was about 30-35% urbanized. Now of course they are much less urbanized, cause of all the disasters, but they should recover eventually.

For sure. The cities aren't going to have had a good time of it since the Khan invaded.

fasquardon

Italy after the rise of Islam (when imports of grain from Tunisia and Egypt were no longer possible) had about 30% urbanization. Highly productive regions in Northern Europe like the low countries also hit 30% urbanization. As did China during the same period. During good times, urbanization could get as high as around 34-35%. The biggest constraint seems to be economic demand for cities - that is, if there weren't local industries with a large demand for non-farm labour, there weren't big cities. Obviously disease burden and how much severe war there was also tended to constrain urban populations.

With the guilds (giving cities a large economic role) and Ymaryn medicine, I think 30%-35% urbanization is plausible.

For reference, the Roman Empire (which did not farm gud) had an urban population of 25-30%.

So while 4-field rotation helps, I don't see any evidence for it being a pre-condition for high urban populations.
30% is a lot. I always thought it was supposed to be about 10 farmers for every person living in a city in medieval times?

I doubt the empire needs any charcoal production for agriculture at all by now.

If it ever did need it.

Biochar is good for clay-poor soils since the charcoal particles act in a way very similar to how clay particles act in richer soils. So adding biochar to clay-depleted rainforest soils is a big deal. Adding biochar to soils that already have enough clay is very much gilding the lily. It doesn't hurt, but it is a waste of effort.

And the charcoal particles have a long useful life once in the soil, so in those parts of the Ymaryn realm that are clay-poor, once they have enough char particles distributed through the soil, they won't need much new char to be added each year.

(And yes, this is why adding broken pot to the black earth recipe would be useful, the clay in the shards is doing the same thing as the char.)

So the main demand for black earth is going to be land that is being reclaimed (like terraces in the mountains) or new territory that is being integrated. Since the empire is currently still recovering population wise, I am guessing there's not a great deal of land reclamation going on.

I wonder then if the Ymaryn priests are maintaining large earth banks where surplus black earth is accumulating...

Hmmm. I wonder if the Ymaryn kiln technology allows for the pine tar, methanol and wood vinegar to be captured from that process? I would have thought at least tar would be captured, since pine tar is a key ingredient for ship building.

For sure. The cities aren't going to have had a good time of it since the Khan invaded.

fasquardon
The thing I wonder is what discovering wood gas is going to do to our society. We turn a lot of wood into charcoal if for no other reason than we are supplying our cities with charcoal fuel for basically everything. The next sea change in kiln technology is discovering that we can seal them and extract wood gas from the process and use that as a fuel instead. This will potentially remove much of the need for residential charcoal use and free up literal tons of charcoal for industrial use.

We can set up charcoal kilns in every town and set up a system of towngas that's powered by charcoal production. Not everyone would get gas in their homes obviously, but the wealthy and middle class could all likely afford to have gas lamps, gas furnaces, and gas stoves. The metalworking guilds would LOVE this. It would mean a ton of work fitting pipes and a cratering in the cost of charcoal while at the same time increasing it's supply.

30% is a lot. I always thought it was supposed to be about 10 farmers for every person living in a city in medieval times?

Medieval times had shit centralization and not great farming. Most of what we think of as medieval is also decently into the northern latitudes, and farming is less productive the further from the equator you are, meaning more of your society needs to work to feed your society.

Last edited:
The thing I wonder is what discovering wood gas is going to do to our society. We turn a lot of wood into charcoal if for no other reason than we are supplying our cities with charcoal fuel for basically everything. The next sea change in kiln technology is discovering that we can seal them and extract wood gas from the process and use that as a fuel instead. This will potentially remove much of the need for residential charcoal use and free up literal tons of charcoal for industrial use.

We can set up charcoal kilns in every town and set up a system of towngas that's powered by charcoal production. Not everyone would get gas in their homes obviously, but the wealthy and middle class could all likely afford to have gas lamps, gas furnaces, and gas stoves. The metalworking guilds would LOVE this. It would mean a ton of work fitting pipes and a cratering in the cost of charcoal while at the same time increasing it's supply.

What makes syngas more useful than charcoal?

Also, much of the housing stock are provided by the cities anyway.

Also, much of the housing stock are provided by the cities anyway.
Because it's a byproduct. Charcoal is still better for a lot of applications, but once you get the investment in place to harvest and distribute the gas it's literally just value add to a process you are already doing. The same economic inputs generates the same outputs as it once did, plus this additional amount.

Last edited:
I do imagine the Ymaryn, in giving their 200% in building ties with the Rus, could have accidentally stumbled upon another action.

"Wait, you think we're impartial and trustworthy? LOL... Whatever, we don't really care for your petty tribal disputes, but keeping your various sides happy is more convenient than war."

I'm concerned, however, that the Rus may be a unique case not really repeatable anywhere else.

Rusland directly borders our supporting infrastructure (including Sacred Herds) in Western Wall. We had a boost in both trust and opinion from liberating them and letting them go. A large Ymaryn party setting up within their settlements is less a threat than a curious follow-up, with missteps papered over by "generous" gifts. They'd very recently seen land that actually was cultivated to Ymaryn standards, and probably did want to learn how to do the same.

Pulling off the same in say, Kus or Western Syffron, is less likely to work for any of those reasons. (A lesser version might be possible, involving mostly gifts and maybe some support. It would also be expensive and unreliable--in case of hostile powers--to maintain supply lines that far; a regional outreach next to Ymaryn developed areas would avoid that particular problem.)

Concerning cost itself... a surprising number of costs are beneath the Ymaryn's notice (keeping City Levies active, 0.1 income being enough to increase other peoples' opinion), so it may not be as much as you think. By comparison, it costs -0.3 income to maintain the Bwyll ration in the Teheryn region (outright supplying food to historically around 500k(?), probably more in this universe). I would guess what we're doing here should be at most comparable, probably less, and maybe beneath the Ymaryn scale of notice (especially when offset by increased trade).

Admittedly, I'm not as well-versed in these subjects as other posters, so take with grains of salt.

"My friends at the academy! It turns out that having Ymaryn all over the place as an essential part of Rusland improves their opinion of us. Who could've known?"
Expensive is as much a game balance thing as anything else but also the things we can do in a cost effective way within the Kingdom get a lot more expensive when done outside the state infrastructure and with the need for duplication across the multiple entities being wooed.

As for targets, I was thinking mostly unconsolidated regions near our own borders where it's strategically desirable to hold sway and it's feasible to accept applications to join; the north coast of the Salt Sea and up the Idhel (not!Volga), the minors beyond the Released Territories we're currently wooing, Saffron Sea islands if the Hellas league were to fall down the stairs and break up, Levant minors if relations with the KMT ever completely break down, the minors of the Hamurri Gulf south coast, and the tribal regions north and north-east of Thunder Plateau. Of those, I'm most interested in the Salt Sea and Hamurri Gulf because the seas gives good communications and they help secure important strategic corridors.

31 Aryl Cwymyp (1624 Andyidh Dyadorn)
31 Aryl Cwymyp (1624 Andyidh Dyadorn)

Total Dice: 5 Influence, 2 Authority
Committed: 4 Influence, 1 Authority
Available Dice: 1 Influence, 1 Authority

Martial:

[] War Mission: Send the army to fight enemies. Can only be taken once per turn for any given enemy. (95%. 1 Year. Success and length of campaign rolled separately. Possible influence gains or losses depending on the result.)
-Write in Targets, one per influence

[] City Levy: Gather up some of the excess population in the cities and throw them at an enemy. Can only be taken once per turn for any given enemy. (90%. 1 Year. Expensive. Success and length of campaign rolled separately. Possible influence gains or losses depending on the result.)
-Write in Targets, one per influence

[] Activate The Mass Levy!: Arm and mobilize up to a million soldiers. The earth quakes at your approach. None can stand against the might of The People. (85%. 1 year. Success and length of campaign rolled separately. Possible influence gains or losses depending on result. Unsustainably expensive)
-Write in Targets, may choose as many as you like

[] Construct Warships, Redshore: With unified control of the Yllython shattered, there are going to be pirates and rebels in the sea closest to the core. The people need to build warships to suppress pirates and fight enemies. (70%. 2 years. +Warships. Expensive)

[] Construct Warships, New Blackmouth: The shipyards of New Blackmouth are once more ready and operational. (70%. 2 years. +Warships. Expensive)

[] Construct Warships, Trelli: You once more have Trelli. Its dockyards and shipyards are robust and capable. With those facilities you can build even more warships. (70%. 2 years. +Warships. Expensive)

[] Construct Warships, Salt Sea: You now share a sea with the Black Sheep. They will surely send foes by sea as well as land if they wish to achieve their ambition of displacing you. (70%. 2 years. +Warships. Expensive)

[] Construct Warships, Harmurri Gulf: Do you really need warships on the Monsoon Sea? The trade there is quite civilized with much less piracy than on the Saffron Sea. (70%. 2 years. +Warships. Expensive)

[] Found Banner Company: The storied mercenary companies of the Melkut Ymaryn were ancient institutions, that played important roles in both martial and diplomatic matters. Having a banner company at your beck and call, able to be loaned out to allies or against enemies, it is a powerful tool. An expensive one though. (100%. 3 Years. Expensive, -.5 Income, potentially profitable, may be taken more than once)

Diplomacy:

[] Seek Loan: You are strapped for cash. Other states have money that you could use. Ask them if they would be willing to float a loan. (85%, +1 Treasury Status, -.1 Income, -1 Prestige)
-Write in who to seek loan from, requires at least 5/10 opinion, may be taken more than once

[] Repay Loan: You now have the money you need to repay a loan, do so. (100%, 1 Year, -1 Treasury, +.1 Income, unlikely +Prestige, loans expire on their own after 100 years)

[] Diplomatic Contact, Highlanders: What have the Highlanders gotten up to in these last thousand years? Do you even care so long as they stay in their hills? (???% 1 Year. Possible -Influence)

[] Diplomatic Contact, Pulska: Who are the Pules and what do they want? (???%. 1 Year.)
-on cooldown until turn 47

[] Sell Weapons: It turns out an easy way to make a lot of money quickly is to sell weapons to countries who are at, or planing to go to, war. (Variable Success, 1 year, Profitable, may be taken multiple times with different targets who must be either a major power or the minors of a region)
-write in target

[] Negotiate Trade Deal: In the cutthroat world of commerce it is said that for one to benefit another must lose. Even so, it might be worthwhile to formalize trade deals with various powers. (85%. 1 Year. +.1 Income and -1 Opinion if Prestige > Target or -.1 Income and +1 Opinion if Prestige < Target, may pay 1 prestige to give a favorable deal to a less prestigious state, may be taken multiple times with different targets, possible opinion effects on third parties)
-Write in target

[] Build Ties: Common Ground can be found anywhere, since people are always people. Simply by dealing forthrightly with people, and addressing their concerns in an honest manner or telling them why you can't, you can improve their opinion of you. (25%, 10 years, +1 Opinion)

[] Deepen Alliance: Having built the foundations of a strong relationship with another polity, see about deepening the ties that bind you. (Narrative%. 2 Years. +1 Alliance Level, -Opinion = new Alliance Level, cannot be used if this would take their opinion below 5)
-Write in Target

[] Offer Loan: The Melkut Ymaryn is rich beyond measure, but other polities need money too. You could offer to lend them cash when they need it. (Narrative%, 1 year, -1 Treasury, unlikely +Opinion)

[] Forgive Loan: Other people owe you money, but it's not like you need the cash. Their gratitude at being let off the hook may be more valuable than mere silver. (100%, 1 Year, -.1 Income, +Opinion, Possible ± Prestige, Narrative effects)

Admin:

[] Math Reform: The Kus have made advances in the notation of mathematics beyond the wildest dreams of the people. Not to mention the substance of math. "Zero"… it will change everything once people get a handle on it. If you were to institute reforms that changed the Melkut Ymaryn to the superior Kus system of math, then there would be immense savings simply from more precise ability to keep track of things. Of course, until the bureaucracy got a hang of the new numbers, it would be pure chaos. (45%. 5 Years. Extremely Expensive, -1 Authority while in progress, +2 Income)

[] Survey Hathytta Province: Hathytta has long been the center of your mining industries. Many enterprising citizens will even try to survey and find valuable resources on their own initiative. Still, the land is rich and another survey can do no harm. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)
-On cool-down until turn 31

[] Survey Txolla Province: Txolla has been surveyed many times, but technology and the skill of surveyors is always improving. It might be possible to find something of use on the floodplains. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)

[] Survey Tinshore Province: Tinshore has been surveyed many times, but technology and the skill of surveyors is always improving. It might be possible to find something of use there. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)

[] Survey Core: The Core has been surveyed many times, but technology and the skill of surveyors is always improving. It might be possible to find something of use there. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)
-on cool-down until turn 40

[] Survey Stallion Province: Stallion Province has been surveyed many times, but technology and the skill of surveyors is always improving. It might be possible to find something of use there. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)

[] Survey Memory of Spirits Province: Memory of Spirits has been surveyed many times, but technology and the skill of surveyors is always improving. It might be possible to find something of use there. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)

[] Survey Greenshore Province: Greenshore Province has been surveyed many times, but technology and the skill of surveyors is always improving. It might be possible to find something of use there. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)

[] Survey Thunder Plateau Province: The Thunder Mountains have been surveyed many times, but a lot of information about their resource deposits would have been lost in the chaos of the Black Sheep takeover during the Collapse. Additionally, technology and the skill of surveyors is always improving. (???%. 1 Year. Resources?)
-on cooldown until turn 37

[] Develop Wagon Ways, Stonepen: Stonepen was always the smallest of your great cities, as it did not have an easily navigable waterway to help feed it. With wagonways, such as you have in mines and in the great cities of Redshore and Trelli, it would be possible to roughly quadruple the ammount of goods shipped to and from Stonepen. (55%. 4 years. Very Expensive, +.1 Income, +15% on Wagonways Megaprojects)

[] Support Province: Give one of the provinces considerable sums of money to assist in their current infrastructural projects. (85%, 1 Year, Expensive, +Province Loyalty)
-Write in which province

Train Thunder Plateau Administrators, Elective: Long ago, in the oldest laws, nobles were elected and gentry appointed by the nobles. Even now, the legitimization ceremonies of the nobility involve leaders of the places they administer giving consent to their authority. The families with the greatest aptitude naturally rose to the top and their ability recognized to the point where the elections eventually became a formality that was done away with by the Dragon King. With the former nobility of Thunder Plateau… erased it may be wise to implement the system of the Ancients, at least until the best families have revealed themselves. (70%, Length of Thunder Plateau Campaign+2 years, possible -1 Influence, ability to reestablish administrative control of Thunder Plateau. Mutually exclusive with Appointive) In Progress

Intrigue:

[] Establish Spy Network: Establish a spy network in one of the places you have diplomatic contact with. (33%. 3 Years. Fails entirely if it fails once. Unlocks options. May be taken multiple times, but only with different targets.)
-Write in Target

[] Determine Internal Factions: Receive a dossier on the relevant internal factions of a polity you have diplomatic relations with. This will allow you to support or oppose their internal factions to be more favorable to your interests.
-[] Write in a polity you have diplomatic relations with, may be taken more then once with different targets for each time the action is taken.

[] Assassinate Faction Leaders: Assassinate the leaders of political factions that have been identified in foreign polities.

[] Fund Faction: Fund a faction in a foreign polity that has been identified.

Mysticism:

Touch The Cow, Do It Now, Western Wall: The Sacred Warding in Western Wall collapsed when the Divine Weapon took the sacred herds to add to his own and those of his followers. Restore it. (70%, 3 years, +Western Wall Loyalty) In progress

[] Spreading the Warding, Abyss: The land of Abyss seems to be a robust and centralized state. It can be trusted with the knowledge of the Sacred Warding. Fighting the starpox is always desirable. (50%. 5 Years. +1 Abyss Opinion, possible +1 Abyss Opinion. Starpox fought.)

[] Spreading the Warding, Pamplona: Pamplona has established a robust enough bureaucracy that they can be trusted with the Sacred Warding. Give it to them to continue Bynwyn's work. (50%. 4 years. +Pamplona Opinion. Starpox fought.)

Calendar Reform: The calendar adopted from the Khemetri in the wake of the Godfist has the disadvantage that the year shifts, losing a day every four years. It had been planned that once a full rotation had been completed, there would be a reform that adds an extra day every four years. However, the Collapse serves as an important enough event that a new calendar that begins at the end of the collapse would be warranted and allow the reform to occur thousands of years ahead of schedule. (60%, 3 years, +1 Influence, better calendar) In Progress

FREE ACTIONS:

[] Rent out Banner Companies: Uncommitted Banner Companies may be rented out for a five year term. (Profitable).

[] Deploy Banner Companies: Uncommitted Banner Companies may be deployed to a war zone of your choice.

MEGAPROJECTS:

Greenhouses: The Kings of old built a number of grand greenhouses to tend exotic plants from far away, so that they could be studied and for their own enjoyment. Most of these greenhouses were smashed by the Great Khan. Restore them. (Authority + 90%, 20 Years, -1 Treasury Status every four years)

Signal Towers: One of the issues that always plagued the governance of the Thunder Plateau was how far away and difficult to reach it was. It would be possible to set up signal relay towers along the way, which would greatly speed up messaging between the Plateau and the Core. It would take a lot of precision glasswork for the spyglasses, however. (Authority + 75%, 20 Years, -1 Treasury Status every four years)

Wagonways, Thunder Plateau: One of the issues that has always plagued the governance of the Thunder Plateau was how far away and difficult to reach it was. The transportation of goods especially suffered from this. However, it is possible to remedy this. There are rails used in the mines to ease transportation, and such things are also used in the Great Docks of Redshore. It would be possible to make rails of iron to vastly improve the carrying capacity of the horse wagons. However, this would require truly vast amounts of iron. (Authority + 50%, 25 years, -1 Treasury Status every four years, Expensive)

Reform THE LAW: It has been a very long time since the last time the Law was compiled and streamlined. There has been much accumulation of loopholes, drifts, and patching as the times changed. The current law is confusing and difficult and in many ways outdated. It should be simplified, updated for the current age, and recodified. (Authority + 90%, 20 Years, -1 Treasury Status every four years, +1 Authority on completion)

Personal Action (Choose One):
[] Work Overtime (+1 temp Influence, +Stress)
[] Relax with Family (-Stress)
[] Catch up on the latest plays and theological debates (-Stress)
[] Attend to a particular action personally. (Provides bonus to action)
-[] Write in Action

Voting is by plan.
Two Hour Moratorium.

In Northern Europe, yeah. The Med, Middle East, India and China had much higher levels of urbanization.

Most of what we think of as medieval is also decently into the northern latitudes

For sure. I rarely see books about medieval Spain or Italy or even Southern France in the libraries here.

It is cleaner burning. Though I think the biggest advantage is that it is capturing a waste product to essentially provide fuel for free.

Given our technology level, I would bet that the first major use of wood gas in the Ymaryn empire would be industrial. Less pipes between the charcoal kiln and whatever is burning the gas means less leaks, means cruder more leaky pipes can still provide useful service until the guilds get a handle on metal pipe making.

fasquardon

Because it's a byproduct. Charcoal is still better for a lot of applications, but once you get the investment in place to harvest and distribute the gas it's literally just value add to a process you are already doing. The same economic inputs generates the same outputs as it once did, plus this additional amount.
And gas can be used in different ways to solids - it can be piped rather than shoveled and feed controllable burners. Once the Tmaryn are trying to exploit gaseous fuel they'll have to get inventive. We want those technologies because it's not just syngas we have massive potential reserves of.

In Northern Europe, yeah. The Med, Middle East, India and China had much higher levels of urbanization.

For sure. I rarely see books about medieval Spain or Italy or even Southern France in the libraries here.

It is cleaner burning. Though I think the biggest advantage is that it is capturing a waste product to essentially provide fuel for free.

Given our technology level, I would bet that the first major use of wood gas in the Ymaryn empire would be industrial. Less pipes between the charcoal kiln and whatever is burning the gas means less leaks, means cruder more leaky pipes can still provide useful service until the guilds get a handle on metal pipe making.

fasquardon
The first thing people power with woodgas is the charcoal kiln that produces the woodgas.

So we got to spend some money. I'm thinking that we support Hathytta as our least loyal province and forgive the loan to Amber Road to raise their opinion while personal action goes to destressing. Due to success chances, Authority would be on Support Province and Influence would be on Forgive Loan.

Edit:
[] Plan Oshha
-[] Authority: Support Province: Give one of the provinces considerable sums of money to assist in their current infrastructural projects. (85%, 1 Year, Expensive, +Province Loyalty)
--[] Hathytta
-[] Influence: Forgive Loan: Other people owe you money, but it's not like you need the cash. Their gratitude at being let off the hook may be more valuable than mere silver. (100%, 1 Year, -.1 Income, +Opinion, Possible ± Prestige, Narrative effects)
--[] Amber Road
-[] Personal: Relax with Family (-Stress)#

Edit: Wait, I forgot that the loss of opinion with Amber Road got changed so we will need to do something other than forgive loan with them this turn.

Last edited:
So we got to spend some money. I'm thinking that we support Hathytta as our least loyal province and forgive the loan to Amber Road to raise their opinion while personal action goes to destressing. Due to success chances, Authority would be on Support Province and Influence would be on Forgive Loan.
I like supporting our provinces, but it looks like Amber Road is still at 10/10 until the alliance action completes.

Stallionlands is where we'll need a loyalty boost because of resentful relocated settlers.

edit: and we should offer a loan to the KMT - they're spending heavily a.t.m. so likely to accept, they're long term good for repayment and a +opinion with them would be pretty sweet if the dice cooperate.

Last edited:
I like supporting our provinces, but it looks like Amber Road is still at 10/10 until the alliance action completes.
Yeah, I just remembered that the lost of opinion with them was edited out.

Anyway, I want do a couple of 1 Year actions this turn so we can do Math Reform next turn.

Stallionlands is where we'll need a loyalty boost because of resentful relocated settlers.
Stallionlands isn't a province.
Provinces and Loyalty

Core: Rock Solid
Memory of Spirits: Rock Solid
Txolla: Unshakable
Hathytta: Decently Loyal
Western Wall: Solid, for now
Greenshore: Solid
Tinshore: Rock Solid
Thunder Plateau: Transitioning to Civilian Control, Rock Solid

Back