Speaking of tolkens themes greed is something weird since in a way greed both lead to the downfall of Foldo but also saved the world (from sauron) since Golems greed for the ring is what got it destroyed

Perhaps it's my lack of familiarity with Tolkien verse lore and themes beyond the movies and the books.

I'm just here trying to play a colony sim and ensuring this colony, and only this colony survives and hopefully thrives. It seems to me that these things are usually done by minimising risks and maximising resources. By being cautious, prudent and responsible.

And like I have previously stated, I trust Tharbad about as much as I'd trust a goblin doctor.
We'll be two vehemently differing but eminently useful voices in the council of Târ Nîlon, then! Although as for 'only this colony,' I can't see that it'd be a bad thing for the other colonies of the Faithful to survive and prosper more than in canon. Even if we can't prevent the Downfall to begin with - imagine a Last Alliance where Gondor and Arnor are thrice as powerful as in the original timeline. We'll still end up fading and dwindling, because Tolkien, but it'll be really satisfying to just utterly curbstomp Sauron a second time!

Perhaps not "only this colony", more: Our colony first and foremost and just about anything else is secondary.

But yes, I look forwards to working along with you, councillor.

While I certainly have my own views on Tolkien's religion and how it affected his writing, perhaps this isn't the thread for discussing them?

Excuse Me?????

I'm not seeing how that made the Story worse for wear.
Oh, it makes for a great story - inevitable tragedy and doomed fate and so on and so forth, fantastic stuff in a purely aesthetic literary sense. It's the application to morality that I have fundamental problems with, but that sort of discussion will probably end in disciplinary action by staff.

Tales of Númenor: Zigûrun
He was tall, as tall as one born of the royal house, and his face was in beauty surpassing even the princes of the elves. His brow shone with wisdom, and great pride and great sternness alike were writ clear and grave in his features, which were as strong and arched as a statue's and more flawless even than marble. He seemed then a far cry from all that had been spoken or held in our counsel regarding him; and I questioned in my heart even the truth of my own eyes that had seen elsewhere his works. I had readied myself for the audience in both body and mind, and came well-girded and full-armed, but my sword felt now foolish where it hung at my side, and my resolve seemed all at once without purpose or need. For above all as a high lord he appeared: one noble in judgement and wrath alike, full of heart and glad of face; a peer of kings. Despite ourselves, our spirits lightened to look on him. It were as if one of the great lords had come again out of the West, and stood now revealed in the fullness of his glory. For a terrible instant I doubted our commitment, or even the need of it. Perhaps we had been deceived.

Yet most arresting of all were his eyes, and so terrific was their gaze that I gaped openly to look upon them. They were brilliant, bright with an ancient knowing which is beyond even the elves, and the light of them was as piercing as all the spears of the Host of the King, and in force mightier still. An incredible awe came over me, and I suddenly knew with utmost certainty that those eyes — those terrible eyes — could lay bare the deepest hearts of men with but a glance. Even as I perceived this, he turned the fullness of his face upon me like a sun in it's splendor. I trembled then as if a child, and reeled where I stood, and would have fled had the nerves not gone from my legs. Somehow I knew that he had perceived utterly all of my thought, and found it amusing. And then —- and this I will never forget, for though full on five score years and half again have passed since that day, my hand shudders still to write of these things, and a mad and wordless fear threatens to seize my mind — as he stared at me he
smiled, a cold and mirthless thing, and it seemed for a second that his eyes blazed with red fire.

So came Zigûrun.

— A record recovered from the writings of Súrion, Warden of the Agathurush in the years of Tar-Minastir the King, recounting an ancient parley on the eve of the war in the north. Compiled and edited by Zilbaphar and Urzabel in the 87th year of the rule of Tar-Vanimeldë the Queen, to be preserved for the long years in the House of Lore.

Last edited:
I got goosebumps just reading this. Wait I thought that the form that Sauron took in the second age was that of Annatar lord of gifts. Is this a new form used to appear before the Numenoreans? Did he appear this way before Ar-Pharazon?

God, that was really intense.

I got goosebumps just reading this. Wait I thought that the form that Sauron took in the second age was that of Annatar lord of gifts. Is this a new form used to appear before the Numenoreans? Did he appear this way before Ar-Pharazon?

Sauron liked to assume many forms, in the years where he could still appear pleasingly before the eyes of Elves and Men.

It would not surprise me if he had a form which he used as a seducer and a beguiler, and the form of a wise warrior-king which he would choose to adopt if he was negotiating on the eve of war. As well as much else besides. There may well be guises which never made it into written history, because no one lived to record that it was Sauron.

EDIT: If he so wished, Sauron could walk right into our colony in disguise, and perhaps only Imrazôr himself would be able to tell it was him. That's how terrifying a foe he is.

(Luckily for us, he probably has more important stuff to do with his time.)

Last edited:
God, that was really intense.

Sauron liked to assume many forms, in the years where he could still appear pleasingly before the eyes of Elves and Men.

It would not surprise me if he had a form which he used as a seducer and a beguiler, and the form of a wise warrior-king which he would choose to adopt if he was negotiating on the eve of war. As well as much else besides. There may well be guises which never made it into written history, because no one lived to record that it was Sauron.

EDIT: If he so wished, Sauron could walk right into our colony in disguise, and perhaps only Imrazôr himself would be able to tell it was him. That's how terrifying a foe he is.

(Luckily for us, he probably has more important stuff to do with his time.)
Luckily for us he largely sees such things as beneath him nowadays.

that would stop if we catch his eye (pun intended); or become a large enough thorn in his side...

or he gets really bored. While highly malicious, sometimes he just decides to pull a Loki. His foes uncertainty over his actions making the whole thing even more entertaining to him, allowing him to misdirect and confuse us.

something he used to great effect, particularly against Men (elves being far more cautious, not that it helped Eregion)

Last edited:
considering this is sauron theirs probably a thousand other names he has taken in his time. After all if I recall he did once go by the necromancer (or was that just in the hobbit movie)

Its worth noting that the Ringwraiths are arguably underqualified to serve as Sauron's chief lieutenants. At this point Sauron's out of Elder Vampires, Dragons, Balrogs, ancient werewolfs or children of Ungoliant willing to serve as his right hands.

Alright, I tried my hand at an omake, showing how Tar Nilon might be perceived in-universe. Hopefully it doesn't sound too much like a Political Sciences analysis :p

Of a City Like No Other

It has often been said and written that Tar Nilon was a city of the Faithfull, indeed the city in which the ideas of the King's Men where most audaciously flouted. Such a sentiment is understandable. After all, what could be more unlike the King's Men staunch belief of the Numenoreans' superiority over all other incarnate beings in Arda then Tar Nilon's willingness to threat the Enedwaithen, a poor, belegared tribe of Middle-Men with its back against the wall, as, if not its equal then at least as a peer? What could be more unlike the King's Men's belief in the supreme value of Numenoreans culture, of its superiority over all others and of their obsessive desire to ensure that no aspect of Numenorean life be governed by another culture then Tar Nilon's greed for knowledge on all people and on both Eldar and Longbeards in particular as well as for ancient lore? Last, but oh certainly not least, Tar Nilon's Bêthzadanism powerfully related it to the Faithfull's colonies.

And yet, behind this seemingly clear facade a more complex portrait emerge. No matter their sympathies for and feeling of kinship with the Middle-Men most Faithfulls would have been, at the very least, uneasy at Tar Nilon's comparatively equalitarian ethos. Moreover, in Tar Nilon's evocation of the Edain's own humble begining as a justification for their willingness to threat the Middle-Men as peers one could easily detect a slight reproach at the Eldar, who did not do so in the old days, that the King's Men did not disdain, even if they vehemently disagreed with the attitude born of it. Moreover, while a follower of the Bêthzadan in its form Tar Nilon's comparatively equalitarian ethos ensured an atmosphere surprisingly similar to those of those followers of the Makâthai of the Far South, King's Men among King's Men if there was any.

Situated between the often Faithfull colonies of the North and the mainly King's Men settlements of the South Tar Nilon was both and neither, a product of all Numenorean society yet unique in its kind and its beliefs. Only time was to tell if this city like no other was to be remembered as a short lived oddity or as the light that would show a new path in Arda...

Last edited:
[] The Guild of Venturers: Based from the massive ship Eambar, the Sea-Home, the Guild of Venturers are a guild of mapmakers, mariners, explorers, and travelers. They have mapped the shores and coasts of Middle-Earth, and their hundreds of thousands of ships sail the furthest corners of the world. Wherever rolls the sea or the tide, there too are the Venturers. Supposedly apolitical and removed from the quarrels of politics, Guild-sponsored colonies devote themselves to exploring the far reaches of Middle-Earth and launching great expeditions into the interior of the land, meeting new peoples, and building new vessels with which to search the seas. The Guild will naturally provide you with a skilled Shipwright, a Guild explorer, and enough colonists to act as a base for your first expedition.

[] The King's Men: Proud, warlike, and mighty in strength and wealth, the King's Men are the dominant faction in Númenór. Personally favored by the King, they support actions which increase Númenór's military might and colonial dominions, and will fund military expeditions against Middle Men, Men of Darkness, and the servants of Sauron. They speak Adunaic, the tongue of Numenor, and frown on fraternization with elves, for whom they envy their endless lives. The colonies of the King's Men are large, well-armed, and among the mightiest cities in Middle-Earth. They seek a cure to the curse of death, and a path to life without end, which some among their number hope may be found in the Eastern lands that even the elves know not. The King's Men shall arm you and send you wealth and swords in great measure.

[] The Faithful: The Nimruzurim, called among themselves the Elf-Friends and the Faithful, are those of Númenór who keep to the old ways, who speak the elven tongues and maintain friendship with the Elves. A dwindling minority in Númenór proper, they have established many colonies in Middle-Earth where their people can dwell beyond the reach of the King's Men. They seek to raise up and educate the Middle Men, though they still war against the Men of Darkness, and keep the elves as friends. They will fund expeditions to find things out of Elder Days and to spread the knowledge of Elenna to your cousins in the dark lands under Sauron's grip. The knowledge and the lore of the Faithful is a boon out of elder days, and they know the old magic of the world that the King's Men have disadained as Elven witchcraft.
@Telamon I'm sorry to bother you, but I had a question that I was hoping you might be able and willing to answer.

With the Shapers we ended up having 14 ships for our expedition, and a population for our colony of about 1500 or so. What I was wondering was how many ships and people we would have started out with had we taken one of the other options instead?

I'm particularly curious about what it would have been like if we'd started with the Guild of Venturers, since they had such a large and powerful monopoly on colonisation.

Speaking of tolkens themes greed is something weird since in a way greed both lead to the downfall of Foldo but also saved the world (from sauron) since Golems greed for the ring is what got it destroyed

Well Gollum was only there to seize the Ring because Frodo and earlier Bilbo had shown him mercy.

"Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Pity, and mercy. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be so quick to deal out death in judgement. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play in it, for good or evil, before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many."

Well Gollum was only there to seize the Ring because Frodo and earlier Bilbo had shown him mercy.

"Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Pity, and mercy. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be so quick to deal out death in judgement. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play in it, for good or evil, before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many."

It's also suitably ironic that the Ring's own power was its undoing.

Back