Transposition, or: Ship Happens [Worm/Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Arpeggio of Blue Steel]

2) SupCom intensifies when a fleet of flying boats soars over Brockton Bay
Sooo... Start a fight that can't be won, see the boats eclipse the sun? ;)

Given that Lisa, was, if not vain, but definitely liked to look good, and now, without not only civilian identity, but any at all... Will she keep her body shape to old standard, or decide to... upgrade?
That was talking about Taylor and her wistful "Two more months until I have curves," thoughts.

Because letting the S-class humans walk around without dropping tactical nukes on them somehow helps Cauldron get more capes.
RRRIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTT.

The "Get Jack to trigger Scion" seems very much like a "oh shit, things changed in a way PTV did not originally path, ex post facto justification of letting the Nine run loose achieved, WOOT!" for Contessa.

And letting the S9 run around in a time when the path didn't involve them killed how many otherwise potentially useful capes?
Seriously, if they were trying to keep civilization afloat, they did it in a really quite inefficient way.

There goal wasn't to keep civilization afloat long term. It was to get the most capes possible in a position to fight Scion.

Before Dinah's prediction about Jack, leaving the S9 out and about helps in a multitude of ways. They create trigger events in their wake by causing damage to law and order in an area and they provide a bogeyman against anti parahuman sentiment (how will we deal with people like these without Heroes). If they were nuked or otherwise dealt with by conventional weapons it would set a precedent that would be used against other threats, which reduces the number of Parahumans available for GM.

After Dinah's prediction Cauldron definitely doesn't want them taken down because it means the apocalypse will happen later. Their models suggest that there will be a reduced number of Parahumans at that point so waiting isn't an option.

Cauldron's goal for Earth Bet is not to hold civilization together, it's to maximise fighting capable Parahuman's when GM turns up.

That was talking about Taylor and her wistful "Two more months until I have curves," thoughts.
Yes, it just lead me to the thinking about Liah.
Just from transhumnistic point of view, it's interesting to see what she decide to do, when not limited by outside factors. No previous social links that need to be complied to. Practically no time or effort in archiving new shape. You look like you want to. Not even real memory your previous shape. You may look like you view yourself.
It's interesting line of character development.

And letting the S9 run around in a time when the path didn't involve them killed how many otherwise potentially useful capes?
If they killed by S9 - they won't stand a chance against Zion. But if someone to trigger from S9, there a potential that they get a power powerful enough to counter S9, and THAT useful.
You clean failures and create environment for new triggers.

The primary limit to Fog Von Neumaning everything has always been that their nanomaterial takes stupid amounts of computational power. As in a full 1/3 of Taylor's active (though not total) memory was tied up with just managing a body's worth of nanomaterial. Well, that and the fact they can't make more of the cores themselves. The nanomaterial might be able to go Von Neuman, but the AIs can't.

Taylor gets around that by having QA do all the work for her. She's the only Fog vessel that has YES amounts of nanomaterial.

Heck, one of the primary reasons why the human crewed fog vessels do so well is they have humans doing things like monitoring sonar, so they can dedicate even more processing power to managing their nanomaterial and their Klein fields.

There goal wasn't to keep civilization afloat long term. It was to get the most capes possible in a position to fight Scion.

Before Dinah's prediction about Jack, leaving the S9 out and about helps in a multitude of ways. They create trigger events in their wake by causing damage to law and order in an area and they provide a bogeyman against anti parahuman sentiment (how will we deal with people like these without Heroes). If they were nuked or otherwise dealt with by conventional weapons it would set a precedent that would be used against other threats, which reduces the number of Parahumans available for GM.

After Dinah's prediction Cauldron definitely doesn't want them taken down because it means the apocalypse will happen later. Their models suggest that there will be a reduced number of Parahumans at that point so waiting isn't an option.

Cauldron's goal for Earth Bet is not to hold civilization together, it's to maximise fighting capable Parahuman's when GM turns up.
People tend to forget that Cauldron has pretty much written off Earth Bet as a complete and inevitable loss at that point.

Tell me what you think?
Awesome. Just. Awesome.

"The fact I'm a Tinker will likely come out eventually anyways. I'd really prefer to have control of when and how much, but with all of the Ship Graveyard I'd probably be able to handle the fallout."
you were missing the closing Double Quotation mark
Two months. Two. Months.
Remind me what this is referenceing?
I got away from gen-eds.
What's 'Gen-eds'? General Education?
Now that she knew that that weird source of information that had been feeding to her was a power, things were clicking together. Patterns, plots and plans that she didn't think she would have seen were she not learning about all of this from a fresh perspective.
I personally think Lisa/Leah's Oracle Shard is drawing on the capabilities of Fleet Queen (my name for the reborn Queen Administrator)
Alright. Collect some decimals of lost money from world bank transfers and buy the deeds and pay the city hall for the processing fee and file it all myself and—
Numbers Man probably noticed this...
Stellarator reactors
What reactors?
and especially Gunnm
You mean Gundam?

Remind me what this is referenceing?
Taylor's taking it slow in modifying her civilian form. She wants her new look to be thought of as a growth spurt.

What's 'Gen-eds'? General Education?
Yep. The required general courses at school. The classes that everyone must take.

They're a type of fusion reactor. Unlike Tomak's they don't look like a donut.

You know thinking about it. The power requirements just to stay afloat must be massive if it takes that man reactors to fuel the ship.

Ahahahaha given the number of capes the S9 kill? Nope, leaving them alive results in fewer capes.

And keeping the S9 around as a unifying force once the Endbringers show up? Really?

Among their many many actions they get rid of the majority of S-Class threats before they do anything, out of the remainder organizations such as the Guild and Thanda act against leaving only a few around out of which Endbringers, Nilbog and Sleeper are the only notable ones. The first is one of their main focuses but it is a work in-progress since Endbringers keep revealing new abilities whenever things aren't going the way they want, the second is not actually going to do anything so there is plenty of benefits in leaving the organizations they built handle it, and the third we have little information on but he largely stays put.

The S9 are vastly overhyped by the fandom; they survive by avoiding any meaningful opposition, kicking people while they are down and laying low, the first time they accidentally get into an actual fight the group quickly disintegrates. From whatever point of view you pick whether it be Cauldron, PRT or USA's government entirely there are countless issues higher in priority, the S9 simply are not important, much less defining, like people keep having them as.

And yet the Protectorate can still point to it as a successful S-class threat elimination.

"Not as strong as fanon" = "Easier prey than the other S-classes" = "Should be dead already"

If they killed the S9 - they won't stand a chance against Zion. But if someone to trigger from S9, there a potential that they get a power powerful enough to counter S9, and THAT useful.
You clean failures and create environment for new triggers.

PTV couldn't path Zion, and the S9 were just killing more capes. And most new triggers have to learn their actual powers, which the S9 as a group are diverse enough that they can still kill new triggers before they realize "oh that's how I work the power selector!" even if they are Eidolon level.

Last edited:
Aaaaaand once again ensou shows us the plotline we never realized we were all missing. Amnesia Tattletale is best Tattletale. :D

Suddenly this becomes one of the most interesting Tattletales I've ever seen, and I seriously want her story too.

BiOS v1.0.0 starting...

I see what you did there. :p

Currently having a mild crisis over whether this constitutes firmware or system software, exacerbated by not being sure how either one would only start starting after the kernel has loaded...

What do I think?

I think

That this is an outstanding addition to the story.

I also think your writing of the base transformation scene was superb. It was very easy to visualize.

Basic In-Out System, basically every computer ever has one of these. Probably including humans.

"Basic" In-Out System implies very little processing.
Therefore "Garbage In, Garbage Out" applies

See: Cauldron's belief that PTV is the most efficient and has no loopholes at all (i.e. how Jack supposedly has a back door against PTV)

(Just noticed this shortly after my comment being rated Funny by the author.)

Ahahahaha given the number of capes the S9 kill? Nope, leaving them alive results in fewer capes.

And keeping the S9 around as a unifying force once the Endbringers show up? Really?

S9 is a group that goes from town to town and leaves destruction and horror in their wake. This is prime material for a trigger or even a group trigger. Properly functional civilization where the heroes solve everything will reduce trigger rates because there's more hope that heroes will help. And military action is even worse because it stirs up anti cape sentiment.

So...is the X-1 modelled after anything in real life, or no?

Also, Lisa's death of personality kind of sucked, but it was handled well.

I'm also not sure how Taylor stole all that money and thought that it was legal. I mean, she was stealing fractions of a cent off of a huge number of transactions, but I imagine that those fractions don't just "disappear" otherwise. They belong to somebody. Would have made more sense for her to just steal money from, say, the bank accounts of some unlikeable villain (like Kaiser).

And yeah, I definitely want to see the reactions to the entire Ship Graveyard just melting into silver goo that disappears...and then coalesces into a sparkling new shipyard in place of where the long-abandoned shipyard was. Followed by Dragon's virtual eyebrows skyrocketing (along with Piggot's blood pressure and Armsmaster's drool) of the stupendous amounts of power being suddenly generated in those buildings in practically no time at all.

You know, if she wants to get back at Uber and Leet, she can make a dragon of her own out of nanomaterial to hound them with.

Hrm.

Maybe I should make this all legal?

I'm sure I could buy the prop… er… ty…

I blinked.

I hadn't even thought about it, but I was now (figuratively) looking at the internals of the city databases and document stores, specifically the entry and deeds for the land owned by the now-defunct Brockton Bay Shipbuilding Company.

Which I was 100% sure were encrypted and protected.

How did I— Oh.

I could hack things.

I mean, okay, duh that made sense, I was the most powerful computing system in the world, and likely would be for centuries (at least). Breaking current encryption schemes would be trivially easy. I guess I'd just never really tried before.

Okay. Um. Did I want to do this?

Yes.

And I'd even do it (technically) legally.

Let's just… create a shell company. The "New Brockton Bay Shipbuilding Company". Do all the paperwork and registration…

That was way too easy.

Alright. Collect some decimals of lost money from world bank transfers and buy the deeds and pay the city hall for the processing fee and file it all myself and—

I was the proud owner of three-hundred twenty-seven acres of industrial shipbuilding history.

Former history.
Did Taylor at least paid the necessary Taxes and filled the required documents in triplicate? She also need to have the deed notarized. She also need to hire and pay benefits for employees on her shell company to avoid intrusive audit but I think Lisa/Leah/Sarah can be volunteered for that. She can just absorb the Dock workers Union while at it.

Why do I not have a LOVE BUTTON!!!!?
Also... I honestly wonder how long it would take for anyone to realize that the Shipyard is legally owned by someone...
And whether Taylor properly backdated everything... or if anyone is going to try to create trouble wit... Yeah they will. This is Worm after all...
Gods. I want an to see Brockton Bay shit dozens of bricks when they wake up and the Ship Graveyard is gone.
Then Shit more of them when they realize the Shipyard is up and running... with a brand spanking new ship already docked.
Then for Danny to shit a brick when he realizes his daughter did it.
Then for Taylor and Danny to shit a diamond and bricks respectively when Lisa/Leah starts explaining what she found out about their world. (Reminds me of the revelations in the latest chapter of Abaddon Born(e) by Publiclee Speaking.)
Then for Cauldron to shit bricks and maybe some rainbows if Legend is in attendance, when they find Contessa in the corner sobbing and asking for her mommy to save her.
I am not even sure what would happen when the Simurgh does the same... on the other side of the Solar System.

Why not have multiple versions as backups?
Depends on the size of the ship. You can fit a ring mirror system in a heavy cruiser but it eats up a good chunk of space and power (namely no graviton cannon). Battleships can have more/more powerful versions but it's been shown in Arpeggio-canon that there are limits to what the Fog can stuff in a given platform without making compromises.
and also can have teleportation bullshit.
Bit limited considering that it was A: Flagship equipment and it only realy transported the Union core if my memory serves. The actual/replacement ship needed to be constructed on sight.
I think that this would be more fitting to be honest.
That's actually fairly fitting considering the wave-motion cannon/Super-Graviton Cannon that Fog Heavy Cruisers and up tend to have equipped.

Of course they didn't tend to use said cannon very much until Arpeggio's 'present' since it was needless overkill (moreso then they already were) against human ships.

I like it. I think Leah's PoV was well done; I am somewhat disappointed that we see so little of, well, Lisa in her, as least so far. Might be more Sarah in there, tho. At the moment I'm seeing Leah as an entirely different character and I'm looking at it more as a 'Death of Personality' deal that any kind of continuity.
I don't think Leah is a new character per se. I think she can best be described as "Lisa, if she didn't have the shit was going through."

Am I right, @ensou?

I find the reaction to the lack of touch while still having proprioception (being able to tell the. location and position of your own body) to be realistic. There has been study into giving proprioception to amputees, with some success, and it seems the be the main thing to make the difference between a prosthetic being just a tool and "my limb".

Last edited:
Back