Transposition, or: Ship Happens [Worm/Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Arpeggio of Blue Steel]

*rolling eyes*
As long as it is not a critical part of the setting (and it isn't), we don't have to. Even if it is, we still don't have to if the work is tagged as AU (and this particular work is)
It is a critical part of the setting. If the multiverse is infinite then the Entities wouldn't bother with the Cycle at all because they could always just steal energy from one universe or another to defeat entropy in their selected universe or universes.

Problem is that they're looking for a solution to a problem that has no solution. Short of being able to create energy out of nowhere and nothing or make an actual perpetuum mobile or create or move to an entirely new multiverse, it is impossible to stop or escape entropy and the heat death of the universe. It's like a human desperately looking for the solution to the question of: "how do I turn into a Tyrannosaurus rex before I die?". It's just not possible.
This basically says you're wrong. If the universe could have been created from nothing then yes it is possible to pull energy from nowhere. The problem has a solution, especially in a setting that explicitly allows for space magic.

If the multiverse is infinite then the Entities wouldn't bother with the Cycle at all because they could always just steal energy from one universe or another to defeat entropy in their selected universe or universes.
To deny this possibility it isn't required to have finite multiverse. It is enough to have finite number of dimensions available from any particular planet.

That said, AFAIK the sole source of first-hand data on the cause of the Cycles is interlude 26, all second-hand in-story data can rationalized away as mere speculations. There is NOTHING about entropy there. Instead it stated that a species must evolve and propagate. The Cycle does not have anything to do with entropy, it is trivial reproduction spread beyond boundaries of a single planet, and capes are mere sex props in an incestual relationship.

Last edited:
Something most people don't realize is that the Speed of Light is not some arbitrary value, rather it's the concept that causality itself has a maximum propagation rate. Imagine you had a button and a light, where regardless of where you place the button or light, the light illuminates if and only if the button is pressed. According to physics, if the button and light are one light year apart from each other, the light will illuminate exactly one year after the button is pressed.
I'm obviously no expert on the subject, but how would quantum entanglement be explained if C=maximum speed that causality can spread?

I'm obviously no expert on the subject, but how would quantum entanglement be explained if C=maximum speed that causality can spread?
Easy. Quantum entanglement does NOT allow propagation of causality, it only allows to achieve some guarantees about specific events. Technically, in quantum entanglement the cause is the act of entanglement, but neither of the acts of observation is a cause.

The main problem people have with relativistic mechanics is that we are used to have universal time, with all events unquestionably ordered in time. It is not the case in relativistic mechanics, by changing to different yet equal coordinate system we can to some extent reorder events in time and space. Since one event can't be both cause and result depending on coordinate system, casualty propagation must have finite speed, so casualty couldn't propagate fast enough for such thing to happen.

Last edited:
Quantum entanglement does not transfer information instantaneously. It is "merely" an observed phenomenon regarding particle interaction, wherein two particles in close proximity are made to have the same state, and seemly maintain that synchronicity when separated if they are not acted upon by an outside force (meaning, if you interact with one entangled particle i.e. you try and use it to send a message, then the other entangled particle will not mimic it because the entanglement was broken by interacting with it in the first place).

This may be interesting to argue, but it very much isn't relevant to this story any longer. Take it somewhere else, maybe?

With regards to Lisa and her situation, I go with the Dresden Codak attitude of, "This, (any remaining flesh,) is not you. This, (cybernetics,) is not you. Growing, changing, you know what that is called, child? Being alive."

Problem is that they're looking for a solution to a problem that has no solution. Short of being able to create energy out of nowhere and nothing or make an actual perpetuum mobile or create or move to an entirely new multiverse, it is impossible to stop or escape entropy and the heat death of the universe. It's like a human desperately looking for the solution to the question of: "how do I turn into a Tyrannosaurus rex before I die?". It's just not possible.
Technically, the laws of thermodynamics are postulates that are well-tested; they are not actually fundamentally required to be true. However, logically, the Third Law would serve as a backstop against saying they're inherently false.

But, if one could find that going outside our current box, there is a literally infinite pool of energy? Yay! We won! We may not technically be breaking Laws 1 and 2, but we don't care anymore because we have as much energy as we want to tap!

FTL is impossible. All evidence points to the complete and total impossibility of anything ever moving faster than light. It simply can't be done.
Leaving aside warp drive (mentioned by Laurelin in the quote below), the "all evidence points to" argument is decent, but not ultimately persuasive, since we're talking about cutting-edge research wherein we have very little certainty. By our best model (the one Einstein came up with), technically matter can go faster than light. By definition, particles doing this are called "Tachyons." (If you hear that term in sci-fi, they're probably using it wrong; all it means is "FTL particles.")

The actual relativity equations only state that particles with mass cannot move at precisely c, and that particles without mass (which will always, always, always be photons) must move at precisely c. There is nothing technically preventing the existence of massive tachyons.

Though you're right: experimental evidence thus far has failed to demonstrate that any actually exist.

(Similarly, there is nothing inherently preventing magnetic monopoles from existing, but we've yet to find any, nor figure out how to create them. So that particular one of Maxwell's Laws remains useful in the physical world.)

FTL is impossible in that you can't exceed 300.000km/s, but even then science admits that in theory you can work around this if you contract the space-time so that you're "technically" crossing it faster than lightspeed would allow. Basically, sort of what Vista can do with her powers. The problem is creating something that can actually do that in practice. But it's still possible in theory.

That's still far removed from "make something out of literally nothing".
The Laws of Thermodynamics are postulates based on observation. There is nothing that has proven it's impossible to make something from nothing; all we know is that we've yet to find a way, and people have been looking for a long time.

Something most people don't realize is that the Speed of Light is not some arbitrary value, rather it's the concept that causality itself has a maximum propagation rate. Imagine you had a button and a light, where regardless of where you place the button or light, the light illuminates if and only if the button is pressed. According to physics, if the button and light are one light year apart from each other, the light will illuminate exactly one year after the button is pressed.

tl,dr: While there are some ways FTL may be possible, the sheer condition of having a piece of information end up a light year away less than a year after it was "transmited" would break just about everything we know about causality. And probably make Thermodynamics throw even more of a fit.
Eh... this argument doesn't really hold water. I've seen it made several times, trying to root it in various other ways of looking at the relativity equations and experimental evidence, but the fact remains that this is only true if you insist that causality must be transmitted via light. Which is a circular argument.

Doing the math using Lorentz transforms and hypothetical tachyonic message-carrying particles, you can actually maintain meaningful causality if you limit the speed of message-carrying particles to something based on an equation I solved once, but too long ago to remember the result precisely. (I think I only solved it for two reference frames moving away from each other, rather than also for two frames moving towards each other, which makes me doubt the universality of my result, but IIRC it was 2x the difference of the relative velocity of the ships compared to the speed of light above the speed of light. Which...sorry, that's probably a mouthful and confusing to read.)

The nutshell version is that there is a speed of tachyon-messenger at which message transmission appears to the sender to arrive simultaneously with when he would observe the time-dilated sender to have sent it. As long as the messages travel no faster than that, simultaneity is never exceeded. i.e., you never see a message before you could have sent the message to which it's responding.

Now, unlike c, this is not a constant, but is instead dependent on the relative velocities of the reference frames. ...unless I'm misremembering and it's a nice neat number like 2c, though I doubt I'd have forgotten something that neat.

But anyway, causality only starts to get weird if messages can travel faster than that. So one hypothesis that still doesn't allow causality-violation would be that no message transmitted via a carrier particle can be received and decoded faster than this. (That actually is one of the current theories for how light speed remains the maximum info-transmission speed, despite there being demonstrable conceptual objects that can exceed light speed in motion. "Conceptual" because they're usually taking the form of observable and continuous existences but have no real tangible manifestation other than as an absence of other manifestations. e.g. the radiation beam of a pulsar, which can be detected at two places many light years apart as appearing at one with a delay of far less than many years after the other saw it.)

And all of that is just hypothesizing based on a postulate that causality as we know it is immutable and accurate. That was already made wobbly by relativity. It may well turn out that our universe is even stranger than we thought, and that, yes, tachyonic antitelephones enabling messages to be sent into the past are possible. But what the consequences of that would actually look like is entirely the realm of speculative sci-fi at this point.

At this point the conversation's gotten pretty far off-topic for this thread. Please take it to PMs if you want to continue it.

I've been enjoying all the images you guys have come up with. I might have to post my own reference folder at some point if you all would be interested, 'cause I've got a lot in there.

Anyways. I know people are really hyped for the next arc, but there's still the Kayden interlude to get through. I might try and get both done close enough to each other that I can post Counterpoint 3.1 relatively soon after. (And there's the Uber and Leet interlude that was supposed to be a thing but I totally forgot about and probably won't do now since it doesn't match the plot at all. Whoops.)

Aaaaand then of course there's my other stories which I really shouldn't neglect but it feels so good to focus on only one thing right now...

The perils of an author with too many good things to do, haha.

I've been enjoying all the images you guys have come up with. I might have to post my own reference folder at some point if you all would be interested, 'cause I've got a lot in there.

Anyways. I know people are really hyped for the next arc, but there's still the Kayden interlude to get through. I might try and get both done close enough to each other that I can post Counterpoint 3.1 relatively soon after. (And there's the Uber and Leet interlude that was supposed to be a thing but I totally forgot about and probably won't do now since it doesn't match the plot at all. Whoops.)

Aaaaand then of course there's my other stories which I really shouldn't neglect but it feels so good to focus on only one thing right now...

The perils of an author with too many good things to do, haha.
Do it!
Hey, as long as you update regularly, it doesn't bother me if there's an interlude or not.
(Whoops. If you hadn't mentioned it we'd never have known, though.)
Eh. I like this whole 'focused on one story' thing. It helps keep the story fresh in your mind anyway, so there's not that long and awkward pause while you figure out who-the-what and all.
As long as you're having fun, too.

(Top down responses, in order.)

Yeah, but the result depends heavily on how much trouble the author want to give Taylor. I mean, all Tat's peripheral nervous system is gone, emulating innervation of the body would be hard and time consuming.

I suspect that Taylor would simply need an example, healthy human being to act as a model for her to build TT a new fully biological human body. Panacea could do it in a fraction of the time, but if the bank robbery went down a lot like it did in canon, Panacea might not be interested in helping TT very much.

Now, after TT is put in the new, functional biological body, it might be possible to convince Panacea to check over Relentless's work, and make sure there aren't any odd errors.

Panacea's reaction to finding said odd errors might be amusing.

Another option might be a Blasto-made body.

If Brainbox is still around in this timeline, he could be invaluable for recording TT's mind in case mistakes are made.

Relentless would need to be careful approaching Brainbox though. He was a Toybox member, and if they figured out she was an AI, it might go badly.

I suspect that Taylor would simply need an example, healthy human being to act as a model for her to build TT a new fully biological human body.
Ergh, nope. Innervation (i.e. ways our brain is connected to body parts) is unique for each person. It cannot be copied, at least if we go with IRL background. It needs to be fine-tuned with brain side in mind. Like, Taylor *literally* needs to remap Tat's entire brain, identify entry/exit neurons from brain map alone and work from there. And even then most of nerve connections would not be restored/emulated, because the relevant neurons were located in discarded body parts.
Panacea might not be interested in helping TT very much.
Pan-pan doesn't have to know it's Tats.

I suspect that Taylor would simply need an example, healthy human being to act as a model for her to build TT a new fully biological human body.
Why would she go with a biological body? Surely it'd be easier and more secretive to make her a bullshit nanomachine body and some sort of control-with-my-brain implant.

Because goodness knows the last thing Relentless wants people to know is that she was walking around with someone's brain. That'd make anyone nervous, let alone when the person with the extra brain is a dangerous non-government cape.

Ergh, nope. Innervation (i.e. ways our brain is connected to body parts) is unique for each person. It cannot be copied, at least if we go with IRL background. It needs to be fine-tuned with brain side in mind. Like, Taylor *literally* needs to remap Tat's entire brain, identify entry/exit neurons from brain map alone and work from there. And even then most of nerve connections would not be restored/emulated, because the relevant neurons were located in discarded body parts.

Pan-pan doesn't have to know it's Tats.

Sounds like Relentless might need to get Brainbox involved then, if TT will be placed in a new biological body.

well it's not like panpan was able to touch tats during the bank robbery or knows what she looks like under her costume and their is literally nothing more anonymous than being a brain in a jar so it is not likely she would be able to find out unless they tell her...

well it's not like panpan was able to touch tats during the bank robbery
Er, that's actually how she took her out, even if it hasn't been explicitly stated. Tattletale didn't realize who Amy was (much like in canon), Panacea waited for her to walk past, popped up, touched Lisa's neck, and that was it. Out like a light.

Back