To add onto Leingod's excellent post, Bing province itself was in a bit of a "wild west" situation at the time. The northern most and western most commanderies had practically been all but abandoned by Han settlers 40 years prior and large numbers of tribesmen from the Xiongnu and others had moved in. The Han only really had nominal control of the west and north of the province at the time, although the east and south were relatively secure. (Mountains full of bandits aside, at least.)

Well I suppose it'll be interesting to see what new screw ups we'll be up to our neck into.

Plus pursuing the waifu option again.

Kinda hard to ensure the future of your clan if you are a Eunuch, but I suppose you could always adopt like Cao Cao's grandad did. Just...uh...try not to be in the capital in 189, for...reasons.

Yeah, and also not counting the Partisan Crisis of the 160s, or the many years of war against foreign tribes, or...

(The Han Dynasty was often seen with rose tinted goggles, even at the time, it seems!)

Every dynasty near its end lionizes the way things used to be. And even in a golden age, every dynasty has someone sighing over the way things used to be in some prior dynasty.

Thus you get Wang Mang, who took Confucianism to its logical conclusion by doing everything in his power to turn time back and make Han into Zhou, which failed so hard that his dynasty is pretty much the shortest one ever that wasn't just some rump state established by an uppity warlord.

Which is kind of the inevitable conclusion of trying to base your entire government around resurrecting a past golden age that almost certainly never existed in the form you imagine it to have been.

Zhang Yi said:
The entire empire was already collapsing, but Wang Mang did not care, but rather buried his head in what is old, believing that once he returned the government structure to the old days, the empire will be peaceful. He only sought to establish proper ceremony and music day and night, and he sought to create explanations for all of the Confucian classics by making tortured interpretations, without spending time on the important affairs of state. Before he could complete his ceremonies and music, he was already killed. This kind of behavior is even more childish than a three-year-old child. There is a common contemporary idiom, "foolishness is but a form of trickery." But for Wang Mang, his trickery was only a form of foolishness.

Every dynasty near its end lionizes the way things used to be. And even in a golden age, every dynasty has someone sighing over the way things used to be in some prior dynasty.

Thus you get Wang Mang, who took Confucianism to its logical conclusion by doing everything in his power to turn time back and make Han into Zhou, which failed so hard that his dynasty is pretty much the shortest one ever that wasn't just some rump state established by an uppity warlord.

Which is kind of the inevitable conclusion of trying to base your entire government around resurrecting a past golden age that almost certainly never existed in the form you imagine it to have been.

Wang Mang was practically the "Old Man Shouts At Cloud" meme in many ways.

Ok I gotta go to bed it's like nearly 3am on a Monday why am I awake

I'm a bit bitter about it since it means less options to pursue other choices to better ourselves.

I would consider playing an eunuch if it offers lots of advantages in exchange for your manhood.

Court eunuchs need to be castrated as children and taken in for training and education in the palace; you don't suddenly get handed wealth and authority by walking up to the emperor and saying, "Hey, I just cut my dick off, give me a job."

Kinda hard to ensure the future of your clan if you are a Eunuch, but I suppose you could always adopt like Cao Cao's grandad did. Just...uh...try not to be in the capital in 189, for...reasons.
Considering how quests like these never do actually finish to get the point of starting a family, it's a desperate option to get immediate wealth, influence and power in exchange for no waifus with the loss of your manhood. Then there's also records of eunuch generals so wanting to play a military eunuch's possible.
Court eunuchs need to be castrated as children and taken in for training and education in the palace; you don't suddenly get handed wealth and authority by walking up to the emperor and saying, "Hey, I just cut my dick off, give me a job."
I know so it'll have to be a different chargen.

Last edited:
Considering how quests like these never do actually finish to get the point of starting a family, it's a desperate option to get immediate wealth, influence and power in exchange for no waifus with the loss of your manhood. Then there's also records of eunuch generals so wanting to play a military eunuch's possible.
Challenge accepted, Find best Waifu and get a kid quick like is now side goal #1

"Eunuch Quest" will likely be pretty depressing, as the most possible outcome would be the player getting cut to ribbons by Yuan Shu of all people in 189.

"Eunuch Quest" will likely be pretty depressing, as the most possible outcome would be the player getting cut to ribbons by Yuan Shu of all people in 189.
Could be or the quest has the eunuch surviving if the character gets lucky. Since it's a quest and the imperial family always needs a bunch of eunuchs. Either way just wishful thinking on my part.

Challenge accepted, Find best Waifu and get a kid quick like is now side goal #1
Could be quickly done with an arranged marriage.

Last edited:

In addition to that, only a small minority of palace eunuchs actually held appreciable power and influence. The rest were just minor clerks, messengers and functionaries for the emperor's private chambers, and guards of the imperial harem. The ones who matter are called the Ten Regular Attendants, after all.

Eunuchs who also held substantial military command, IIRC, are all from later periods; I can't remember a single one in the Han Dynasty. In fact, the only ones I can think of are Tong Guan of Song and Gang Bing and Zheng He of Ming.

Eunuchs who also held substantial military command, IIRC, are all from later periods; I can't remember a single one in the Han Dynasty. In fact, the only ones I can think of are Tong Guan of Song and Gang Bing and Zheng He of Ming.
Eunuch traditions must've diverged at some point so that eunuchs were able to have bigger roles in the military.

From a quick search was there actually an army of them during the Ming Dynasty?

Eunuch traditions must've diverged at some point so that eunuchs were able to have bigger roles in the military.

From my understanding Eunch and their function developed to adopt to changing time.

Initially the ruling family had concerned about the growing influences of powerful clan families, which lead to promoting the educated class (of which confucius school of thought won out) to counter the clans. Then the educated class grew too large and started becoming self-sufficient as the Emperor had lost the power to choose new officials, which forced the Emperor to prop up and expand Enuch's power to counter that.
Then they grow too large too and later emperors have to be really good at everything to pull back some power.

From my understanding Eunch and their function developed to adopt to changing time.

Initially the ruling family had concerned about the growing influences of powerful clan families, which lead to promoting the educated class (of which confucius school of thought won out) to counter the clans. Then the educated class grew too large and started becoming self-sufficient as the Emperor had lost the power to choose new officials, which forced the Emperor to prop up and expand Enuch's power to counter that.
Then they grow too large too and later emperors have to be really good at everything to pull back some power.
The eternal challenge of delegating power isn't it?

Eunuchs are self explanatory. Powerful clan families lead to things like the Lu Clan before the purging of the empress's family in the future. Then there's the other members of the royal family for wanting a piece of the pie and then there's as you said the educated class along with anyone else who gets a position within the government that can one day usurp the throne.

The eternal challenge of delegating power isn't it?

Eunuchs are self explanatory. Powerful clan families lead to things like the Lu Clan before the purging of the empress's family in the future. Then there's the other members of the royal family for wanting a piece of the pie and then there's as you said the educated class along with anyone else who gets a position within the government that can one day usurp the throne.

Quite, all that struggle for a fancy chair and hat. :V

Not to mention various classes form sub factions and demand the Emperor to support them.

Quite, all that struggle for a fancy chair and hat. :V

Not to mention various classes form sub factions and demand the Emperor to support them.
Yuan Shu must be suicidal actually doing it.

Sub factions probably do include bandits and barbarian tribes somewhere (depends on the year) usually in exchange for a fancy title or diplomatic marriages especially for the former.

Beginning in 1508, Emperor Zhengde of Ming (r. 1505-1521) attempted to create a single battalion (which in Ming meant 1,120 men) of eunuch soldiers to protect the Inner Court. He never really did anything with them and they never saw any action, they mostly just made a lot of noise in drills in the courtyard, with Zhengde playing at being a field marshal. He did a lot of stuff like that; Emperor Zhengde was famous for doing things like building an entire fake city street and having the entire court play the role of common merchants and stuff to sell the illusion so that he could experience walking around like a commoner.

It wasn't until 1552, in the reign of Zhengde's successor Emperor Jiajing (1521-1567), that there were enough eunuch soldiers in the battalion to necessitate a proper barracks be built for them. Apparently this facility was either insufficient or had become dilapidated, because in 1567 Jiajing's successor, Emperor Longqing (r. 1567-1572) wanted to have it refurbished, but the idea was dropped after one of his grand secretaries opposed it. Longqing more or less left the eunuch battalion to languish after that.

Emperor Wanli (r. 1572-1620), however, was of a very different mind. Only 9 at the start of his reign, as he grew older he gathered two new battalions of eunuch soldiers (more than 2,000 men) and resumed training on the palace grounds at least as early as 1583, when the 17 year old emperor asked the Minister of War to deliver 3,000 warhorses for use by his eunuch battalions. The minister, Zhang Xueyuan, refused, and argued long and loud that the emperor should disband the eunuch battalions, citing an incident earlier that year when they had accompanied the emperor on an official tour of imperial mausoleums, in which he claimed the eunuchs had acted in a manner that was "egregious and contrary to all military norms." For his troubles, Wanli "asked" the minister to retire, and then added another battalion of eunuch soldiers for a total of 4, and handed out 20,000 taels (1 tael = roughly 40 gram) of silver to them for purposes of morale.

In 1584, rumors started spreading that Wanli was not only tolerating the bad behavior of his eunuch soldiers but encouraging it, and another minister, Dong Ji, filed new charges against the eunuchs, claiming that the power invested in them was outraging the populace and the army. His reward for speaking out was being demoted two degrees and reassigned to the frontier.

Eventually, though, one of the grand secretaries, Shen Shixing, joined those speaking out against the eunuch battalions and did so in ways that Emperor Wanli wouldn't construe as a personal attack: he argued that the noisy drill and the coming and going of so many soldiers presented a security risk that hostile agents could use to sneak into the Imperial City. Wanli didn't disband the eunuch soldiers entirely, but he did cut back on the number of drills and didn't force Shen to retire or anything.

However, the succeeding Emperor Taichang suddenly died in a mysterious and controversial affair after barely a month as emperor. In the resulting confusion, the eunuch Wei Zhongxian took control of the court and the 15 year old Emperor Tianqi (r. 1620-1627). At Wei Zhongxian's "advice," the project of eunuch soldiers was not only resumed but their number was increased to two whole guards (1 guard = 5 battalions = 5,600 men), and despite many complaints and remonstrants from court officials, this remained the status quo until the fall of the capital in 1644.

The purpose of the eunuch battalions, though never stated outright, was clearly, at least from Wanli's reign onward, so that the Ming emperor would not have to rely entirely on the apparatus of the army and the court officials for his personal protection. It was a way to guard against the sedition and conspiracy so common in the waning days of Ming, in much the same way the later emperors of Han invested political power in the eunuchs to check the imperial in-laws and the court bureaucracy that so often backed them over the emperor.

But that necessity didn't quite exist yet in Han, due to the way Han's military was structured.

@Gaz

In regards to XIII do we get to field special units should we get the required location to field em?

And can you explain what Ding Yuan's support can mean just to make sure? I assume it's things like if we need help with money, troops, or estate management.

Last edited:
[x] Plan Ding Yuan's successor
-[X] A pasture that bred and raised horses
-[X] The mao, the spear. Easy to learn and use, deadly in the hands of a master.
-[X] On campaign against bandits in the hills
-[X] LEA
-[X] GOV
-[X] A talented and loyal advisor, an old friend of your father
-[X] A promise of support from Ding Yuan, Inspector of Bing Province, who your father once fought under
-[X] Various valuable ornaments and trinkets (Increased starting Wealth)
-[X] You are indifferent for now. You are concerned with your family and your own affairs.
-[X] To gain your father's Prefect rank and continue his path

Oh I actually got votes for my plan.

Ok I'll put my reasons for them. So we can then hash out what maybe better.

[x] Plan Ding Yuan's successor
-[X] A pasture that bred and raised horses
Horses are quite valuable and we can raise cavalry much faster as well as possibly getting new breeds.
-[X] The mao, the spear. Easy to learn and use, deadly in the hands of a master.
Spear is the easiest to use. I considered the halberd or the sword but weapon choice isn't at the top of my list. So I can change this if say we would want to look more like a noble or something.
-[X] On campaign against bandits in the hills
There's other choices for dad's death but this is ok for a quest plot if we're going to avenge our father. Safest could be illness or going crazy with a write in is to have dad killed fighting off a tiger.
Ok so we're a noble and we got a better estate to run things so that's what I thought is needed to run things. If chargen was different we could go for WAR but it didn't happen so let's go for this build.
-[X] A talented and loyal advisor, an old friend of your father
-[X] A promise of support from Ding Yuan, Inspector of Bing Province, who your father once fought under
Ok so a talented advisor is always good since he can act as our second in command.

Getting the support of Ding Yuan is good since it means we can get his help and rise higher in his ranks.
-[X] Various valuable ornaments and trinkets (Increased starting Wealth)
More money is good and we'll need lots of it more than other starting equipment if we're to use it for recruitment and estate management.
-[X] You are indifferent for now. You are concerned with your family and your own affairs.
-[X] To gain your father's Prefect rank and continue his path
As Leingod said, focus on the present now that father's dead.

Under Ding Yuan's support we can eventually get back a government position while showing our mettle.

Though I just realised my plan for Ding Yuan successor does hinge on whether or not Lu Bu gets adopted so the plan can just be to use Ding Yuan's regard for our father to start faster in getting stronger.

Anyway poke holes and whatever in the plan to decide on a better chargen.

Since there's other benefits that maybe better than what I put in my plan since it's just options I see that give me assumptions and expectations except what may happen as it wins may not be what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Back