Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[x] Get answers, proactively seek out Luo Zhong during the victory celebration and press him, politely, on what exactly he wants.

I think i'd rather have Ling Qi go towards a simple and proactive (even blunt) method rather than try to "play the game". She is a commoner born noble, she should take advantage of the expectations that puts on her rather than try to out-noble the noble-born nobles.
Orrrrrr we can actual do the social stuff we came here to do instead of wasting time demanding answers that don't serve any purpose

[X] Let him play his game, make up for lost time and try to forge a few more lines of personal acquaintance among his group.

Both options have good outcomes, but the negatives of both are hardly comparable. One, we make some small faux pas, and annoy the nobles a bit more. On the other, we alienate someone who, while being manipulative, has provided us with an opportunity we sorely need, introduction into the local nobility's circle. Finding an icebreaker isn't easy in the cultivation world, especially when all cultivators of a high rank become nobility, with all the factional tension that comes of such a situation.

As for keeping IC, I can see us confronting our host, but can also see us just as easily moving in to mingle. After all, a major part of the recent hunt involved us realizing that these people are more people-y than was initially believed, acting more human and approachable than standoffish.

Given that both options benefits are likely improved social, confrontation DOES give us more insight into a potential ally, and I believe it's successful outcome to be more valuable. However, the risk is higher, given that this is worded as being confrontational, and us trying to pull information from someone who hasn't so far revealed it of their own free will.

In the end, I'm going for the continued socialization. We could use more people on our list of acquaintances, and maybe boost that local social ranking.

[X] Let him play his game, make up for lost time and try to forge a few more lines of personal acquaintance among his group.

[x] Let him play his game, make up for lost time and try to forge a few more lines of personal acquaintance among his group.

"The whole detached aloof act. I don't want to boss you around, but c'mon girl. I get that it helped when you didn't know what you were doing, but you're past that. You know your manners, you know the expectations, you've even got a fancier dress than anyone else. So just engage with the people your supposed to be chatting up already! Stop treating them like an obstacle or challenge and just treat them like people."
"You're right Sixiang, I should stop emulating Meizhen and instead just be myself!"
"That's the right attitude Ling Qi."
"My malnourished-paranoid-vulgar-street-urchin-self."
"Wait, thats not wha-
"Come on you motherfuckers! You waiting to grow a pair? Lets hunt this fucking lion down!"

"You're right Sixiang, I should stop emulating Meizhen and instead just be myself!"
"Wait, thats not wha-
"Come on you motherfuckers! You waiting to grow a pair? Lets hunt this fucking lion down!"
Ji Rong, is that you!?

[X] Get answers, proactively seek out Luo Zhong during the victory celebration and press him, politely, on what exactly he wants.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by CrimsonOddball on Aug 19, 2019 at 10:27 PM, finished with 98 posts and 59 votes.

I don't think we necessarily should stop using Meizhen style imperious unapproachability mask.
We should just learn better when to use it, and to drop it for select individuals.

Last edited:

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Killer_Whale on Aug 19, 2019 at 11:05 PM, finished with 102 posts and 62 votes.

Creation: Sunrise
Hi guys. This is omake is a continuation of my last one which you can find here: Formation: Dawn
@yrsillar ...hope you like it!

Creation: Sunrise
"It's up here!" she called. Chao Bo grumbled as he climbed the stairs, following the girl to the apartment. He really was too old for this sort of thing. Lai Meixiu fidgeted nervously at the landing as she waited for him to catch up. She led him inside.
Chao Bo wondered if the family always kept their door unlocked or if these were special circumstances. He looked around at the worn down apartment. The living quarters were somewhat cluttered, although he had supposed he had seen worse. It looked like someone had made a half-hearted attempt to clean the rooms every few days. The overall upkeep of this home certainly left more to be desired though. Paint peeled from the walls and the carpeting bared old stains. Lai Meixiu led him through the shabby two-room apartment, toward the corner of the living room. There, in a rocking chair, was a thin, middle-aged woman staring at the opposite wall. Chao Bo could immediately see something was wrong here--she did not react to their arrival in anyway. "Hello," Chao Bo said slowly. He stepped forward and waved a hand in front of the woman's face. She didn't even blink in response. The woman simply looked at the wall with hollow, vacant eyes.

"Mama's sleep-awake," Lai Meixiu said.

"Sleep-awake?" Chao Bo repeated.

"It's different from actually going to bed. Papa says she's a different sort of asleep, with her mind somewhere else. It's better this way 'cause she'd be really sad if she was actually awake."

Chao Bo looked at the mother's slack face. "I think," he said grimly, "she's sad either way."

Lai Meixiu frowned. She looked somewhat sad but not nearly as troubled as Chao Bo would have expected. He supposed the child must have become used to the circumstances. She shuffled her feet, appearing quite uncomfortable. Suddenly her eyes lit up and she looked at Chao Bo with eagerness.

"Come on!" She took him by the hand. "Being with Mama is boring. Let's go to my room!" Chao Bo silently wondered whether the girl thought of him as her new playmate. Now, wasn't that a chilling notion, he thought wryly.

She led him to another room which he supposed was her parents' bedroom. At the far wall, a folding screen door acted as a divider, cutting a third of the room off. Lai Meixiu scampered across the room and disappeared behind the divider. Chao Bo followed her, at a much slower pace.

He rounded the divider and took in the child's bedroom. Both the wall and the divider were covered in detailed paintings. He recognized a variety of different scenes from all over the city. The market at midday, with the crowds rushing to and fro. The view of the city's horizon line from a top the main bridge. The very Sun temple to which Chao Bo devoted himself, where he had caught Lai Meixiu. He marveled at the detail of each scene, wondering how a six year old attained such skill. Chao Bo looked down at the supplies strewn about the floor. There were bowls of dirty, colored water. There were also mortars and pestles, containing different shades of pigments. He could see that Lai Meixiu had left some pigments half-finished. Some ingredients were ground into a fine paste and others left whole. Chao Bo recognized some of the materials used--petals and buds from the temple's garden.

Lai Meixiu stood proudly beside her artwork, waiting for his response. Her chest was puffed up and her chubby face was beaming. "This is incredible work, especially for someone your age," he said sincerely. "How old are you, six?"

This guess proved to be quite the mistake. Lai Meixiu scowled at him, glowering. "I'm not six, I'm eight! How could you say that?!" She demanded indignantly.

"Well," He said calmly. "You really are quite small."

Lai Meixiu huffed and looked away, her arms folded across her chest. Chao Bo thought it tactful to change the subject and so he broached another matter on his mind. "I see you've been using the flowers you stole from the temple as ingredients for your various paints. At least you're making use of them. I thought you were stealing them just so you admire them at home." This proved to be another mistake, as Lai Meixiu looked at him with a mix of indignation and incredulity. "What would be the point of that? Why-"

She was cut off by the door opening. A man stepped through and looked at them. He was tall, pale and rail thin. His tired, hooded eyes met Chao Bo's. "Greetings," Chao Bo said, nodding amicably. "I apologize for the surprise of my presence. My name is Chao Bo and I work as a caretaker for our local Sun temple, where I had found this child trespassing on more than one occasion." He inclined his head in Lai Meixiu's direction. There was a beat of silence, as the man looked at his daughter, who seemed to shrink inward under the scrutiny.

"I greet you and welcome you to our home, Chao Bo." The man said in a tired voice, looking from his daughter to the table and chairs in the foyer. He strode towards the table, closing the door behind him. "My name is Lai Shui." He sat down heavily on one stool. "Lai Meixiu," he said severely. "Have you apologized to this man for your transgressions?"

Lai Meixiu shrunk from her father's heavy gaze. "Y-yes. Well, I apologized to the Sun for taking the flowers."

Lai Shui' eyes narrowed. "Are you telling me," he said slowly "that you stole from the Sun temple's garden?"

"It is quite alright," Chao Bo cut in. "I led her to the shrine of the Suns where she asked the Face of Dawn for forgiveness. Based on the results, I firmly believe that Dawn has forgave her. In fact, I think she went out of her way to show forgiveness. It is not surprising that she would show kindness and mercy to a child, for such is her nature. However, the fact that the Face of Dawn made her presence explicitly known may hint at some fortune in this little one's future."

Lai Shui raised his brows. "Well, any amount of fortune would certainly be welcome in this family. As you can see, we can use any luck we have" he said, bitterness creeping into his tone. "I have no doubt you have already seen my wife, Lai Nuo. When we started this family, we thought we could provide for our child. But...life happens. And now I am supporting the three of us on my own."

"I see," Chao Bo said sadly.

A brief silence followed.

"Papa, can you believe Mr. Chao Bo thought I was only six years old?" Lai Meixiu burst out.

"Well, you are quite small for your age." He looked at Chao Bo. "We're all a bit underfed in this house," He said wryly. However, Lai Shui's dark expression belied his dry tone. "I'm afraid we can't offer you much in the way of hospitality but perhaps you'd like some water or tea…"

"You are gracious but there is no need," Chao Bo assured him. "However, I had a question. Did you know what Lai Meixiu was using the temple's flowers for?" He nodded in the direction of her artwork.

Lai Shui's brow furrowed and he approached his daughter's paintings on the wall. "Ah, yes," he said, looking at the ingredients. "I think I may have noticed that last night. I was so tired though…"

"Papa, you always say your tired. You're gone all day and when you come back, you're too busy cleaning Mama to look at my pictures! After you put her back, you just tell me to go to bed and then you fall asleep." She pouted at him, the very picture of petulance.

Lai Shui winced and glanced at Chao Bo, clearly uncomfortable with the information his daughter had disclosed. "Meixiu, I work fourteen hours per day. When I come home, I need to carry your mother to the washroom, clean her and ready her for bed. Sometime during the night, I need to make dinner for all of us...and feed your mother as well. I assure you, I have seen your art. It is all truly beautiful--"

"But you haven't seen the new ones!" She whined, pointing at specific paintings. "The flowers from the temple place work much better! The colors are so much brighter..." She suddenly looked at Chao Bo excitedly. "Wait, is that because the Sun Faces made them that way?"

Chao Bo gave her a small smile. "Yes. It's likely that the flowers you took contain the vibrance and intensity of Sun, Life or Light--well, the tiniest fraction of such vibrance." Lai Meixiu looked away, an expression of fascination on her face. Seeing that the girl was lost in thought, Chao Bo leaned toward her father and spoke quietly.

"You do realize that your daughter is a prodigy?"

Lai Shui nodded in response, smiling slightly. "Yes, she is really quite talented. Some of her earliest memories are of watching my wife create art. As she got older, Nuo had taught her some basics. But just like her mother before her, Meixiu is mostly self-taught from a young age."

Chao Bo looked at Lai Shui speculatively. "You realize that Lai Meixiu could have a serious future as an artist? Creating art for nobles of the highest ranks? If not pursuing something...even greater?"

"You mean, like the artisans who decorate the larger temples and the Palace? Or those who create works for the nobility, like portraits and such? Such artists come from trade families, of far more respectable birth," he said, frowning. "Additionally, the coveted positions of which you speak are given to those with connections. You cannot truly mean that they would accept a mere child with no formal education, whose father is a simple laborer."

The two men looked at one another, with similarly puzzled expressions.

"Your regard for the classes of nobility prevents you from seeing the potential for your daughter's future. The fact that she has reached such a level with no formal training, as a mere child, indicates a wealth of potential." He said slowly. "I believe she can achieve heights that you could scarcely imagine."

Lai Shui's frown deepened in confusion.

"Well," Chao Bo said quickly. "I can explain in more detail later. For now, all you need to know is that you may consider me one of those connections you were just speaking of." He picked up his staff and glanced in Lai Meixiu's direction. She was now absorbed in her creative process, using what looked like a stick as her paintbrush. Lai Shui tried to ask more questions but he hurried to the door, assuring the man he would be back in a day or two.

Yes, he would certainly be back.

***To be continued***

Last edited:

"Wait, thats not wha-
Kek, I would've thought it would be hunt the lion on your own, steal all the hunters' gear, and then shift the blame to Sun faction.

At any rate, I would have thought that the Luo's idea is to introduce his gathering court to the new Cai vassal, showcasing both sides to each other, therefore gaining connections for them, earning him brownie points on both sides, a chance at improving his court, as well as studying the new Cai vassal's personality and political leanings in less formal situation.

It is not like he could only have one singular goal, you know?

"It would be inappropriate of me to suggest such a plan and then not volunteer for the dangerous role," Ling Qi said, a touch of exasperation reaching her tone. Being put on the spot was beginning to bother her a little. While Sixiang had a point diverting her course here would do more harm than good.

"I will praise your personal integrity at least," Wu Jing said reluctantly, crossing his arms.

Luo Zhong however, just smiled. "A fine sentiment, though our companions are hardly helpless," he replied, a twinkle of amusement in his eyes. He did know what he was doing. "So friends, we shall need one or two additional volunteers. Who is feeling brave?"
Ooo, yeah think that might have been a bit of a trap to suggest a risky plan, then put others into it and not join in.
Theres some respect to be gained in that.
Ling Qi prepared herself to wait as conversation began around her to suss out who else would be going along. She allowed her gaze to roam over the group as they spoke, she hoped it wouldn't be too hard to keep whoever got picked safe.

"...Ling Qi stop it," Sixiang sighed in exasperation

'Stop what?' Ling Qi thought not letting her frown show on her face.

"The whole detached aloof act. I don't want to boss you around, but c'mon girl. I get that it helped when you didn't know what you were doing, but you're past that. You know your manners, you know the expectations, you've even got a fancier dress than anyone else. So just engage with the people your supposed to be chatting up already! Stop treating them like an obstacle or challenge and just treat them like people."
And here's the root cause of Ling Qi's social problems: Channeling Bai Meizhen works because she's Bai Meizhen, shut in extraordinaire, who has petitioners but won't lower herself to reaching out. Meizhen does this because its the best way to not social and still be civil.

She can't fix anything until she stops roleplaying as an immutable statue...and because she has relatively weak ability to conceal her motives people can sense that she's seeing them as a [problem] to be solved, and react defensively.
Despite herself, Ling Qi's eyes widened at Sixiang's silent tirade, and Luo Zhong glanced her way. "Is something wrong Miss Ling?" He asked casually.

She shook her head faintly. "...No, there is nothing Sir Luo," Ling Qi replied, her tone distracted.

"I do not mind if you have any input on the selection," he said lightly.

Ling Qi glanced around at the others present, with Sixiang's words still echoing in her thoughts, she really looked at them. Not at their cultivation, or the patterns of elements and meridians thrumming under their skin, or even the larger pattern of their group dynamic. It may have seemed a simple and obvious statement but…

These people were friends. The cliques she had seen existed, for sure, but as she watched one of the young men in fur cloaks boasted his prowess to a girl in an elaborate green gown, and she tittered in amusement. Wu Jing argued with a young man in simple and utilitarian garb, but both of them were in good humor. Everyone was polite and formal, and she did sense some animosities, but… had she been looking for masks where there were none? She had come here so wound up and worried about looking for plots and schemes, had that come across in her demeanor?
Well, like I said earlier. Favors work best as a way to keep score between friends, and to ensure that no one party overreaches or becomes too onerous a friend.

They might plot, and jockey for favor, but these are all people who must be at most annoyed at the end.
"...No, I do not know anyone well enough to have a useful opinion," Ling Qi found herself saying in a quiet voice.

Luo Zhong looked at her for a moment, then simply gave a hum of agreement. "Well, we shall let them have it out for awhile longer then."

In the end, the ones who Luo Zhong decided on were one of the young men in cloaks, Sha Feng, and a girl named Lin Fei with spectacles and a plain grey gown.
Sha Feng?
Sand Wind or Kill Wind? Or Wasp?
...or Idiot Wind, but thats probably reserved for tsundere childhood friends :p

I sort of wonder about the development of spectacles though, they're in the weird spot where they require extremely skilled mortal or moderately skilled low cultivators to produce...but cultivators shouldn't need them, part of the general cleanup would fix the eyes to mortal-standard at least, by the time they're halfway through Red.

Maybe glasses developed first as a convenient way to hold perception talismans at the eyes and then the design trickled down to wealthy mortals with impaired eyesight?
" Thank you sir Luo. I shall try to be the one targeted! It will be a unique experience I am sure!" The young man was tall and lanky, with a sort of roguish look to his features. He had the feeling of an eager spring breeze, and looking close, Ling Qi could feel the faint imprint of a grinning crescent on his spirit.
Moonfriend!
"And I suppose it shall be down to me to put you back together afterward," Lin Fei drawled. "I fear for our future." She had a no nonsense air about her, and wore her black hair ina tight bun of the sort one typically saw on older ladies. Her spirit had a solid and dependable feel, like a field of dark earth, newly tilled.

"Sweet Lin Fei, your words wound. As a man, I am shamed by your lack of confidence in me," Sha Feng said with a put upon sigh. Ling Qi raised an eyebrow, either Sha Feng was a flirt, or they were quite familiar with each other.
Healer huh?
She looks pretty chill.
"I am only as confident as you deserve," the girl said haughtily, though it seemed half in jest. Sha Feng hung his head and the other cloaked young man… his twin brother Sha Fong, clapped him on the back. However, conversation ceased as Luo Zhong spoke up again.
Whoever assigned the names is a bit of a troll. Twins with very similar names? Names which after a dialect shift becomes impossible to match properly

"I am certain that with Miss Ling along, there will be no trouble," Luo Zhong said with amusement.

"I do not doubt your power Miss Ling, only this one's recklessness," Lin Fei said, briefly dipping her head.

"Neither do I," Sha Feng replied. "Though I hope you will not take all the fun."

"I will try not too," Ling Qi replied. She forced herself to relax a little. Sixiang was right in that much, she was doing herself harm by trying to act like someone else. She was Ling Qi, not Bai Meizhen or Cai Renxiang, it was time that she started acting like it. If that brought trouble… she would overcome it. "So long as you are able to keep up," she added allowing herself a challenging smile.
Sweet sincerity at last!
That brought an answering grin to Sha Feng and his brother, and a sigh from Lin Fei. She caught Luo Zhong giving her a brief but unreadable look out of the corner of her eye. Soon though the three of them set off from the dwindling group, who were already making arrangements to split into trappers and archers.
Lin Fei: "Oh great spirits she's another one of them!"
As they set off through the trees, Ling Qi glanced back at her two temporary followers. They walked a half step behind her and did not shy from her gaze. They were probably from baronial clans then, and main line at that. She turned her attention to Sha Feng "You follow the path of the Grinning Moon then?"

Sha Feng paused for a moment, almost missing a step. "Yes, is it that obvious?" He asked curiously.

She could feel the currents of wind and ripples of the moon in his aura, so to her it was. "Only if you have the right eyes," she replied impishly
That awkward moment when you realize that your standards for perception arts might be a wee bit high because you're basing them off Ducals and that most people can't read in this much detail, or recognize the specific elements consistently.

...Meizhen could freaking read your individual meridians though.
"Ah of course, I had heard some rumors in that regard," Sha Feng said, giving her an assessing look. "It is good to see that they are not just that."

"Moon spirits can be dangerous and unreliable things," Lin Fei added carefully. "It is unusual for a new cultivator to walk that path."

"Hmph, I resent that," Sixiang grumbled, and both of Ling Qi's companions nearly jumped.

"I believe the revel I met you at could have left me catatonic if I had not impressed your grandmother," Ling Qi said dryly, addressing the empty air. "So her words are not wrong."

"Details," Sixiang huffed.

"...So that is the nature of your hidden spirit," Sha Feng mused. "It seems you must be quite the spirit speaker Miss Ling."
Its kind of amusing that its only NOW that someone catches on regarding Sixiang's nature, and thats because Ling Qi finally unwound enough to talk to instead of listen at people.

So Ling Qi's known spirit roster from public perception:
-That snow bratchild after the Outer Peak's guardian exploded
-The Xuanwu.
-A moon spirit obtained from a Trial from one of the greater Moon spirits. The sharper would realize she's Dreaming Moon as well, since you know, revel.

And letting slip that it was a Trial Reward from one of the greater.
All of them ranging from rare to legendary.
"I am at least, very lucky," Ling Qi acknowledged. "But enough of me. I am afraid I am not very familiar with your group. When did the two of you reach the Inner Sect?"

"Lin Fei and I were lucky enough to scrape through last year," Sha Feng said with a chuckle.

"Speak for yourself, I placed fifth among the production students," Lin Fei replied with a sniff.

"You knew each other before as well then?" Ling Qi asked idly, just to keep the conversation going as they walked.

"We are quite familiar indeed, our families lands neighbor one another. We are betrothed," The young man said cheerfully.

"The trials one undergoes for family," Lin Fei said with a small smile.

Ling Qi was struck by awkward silence for a moment. Despite her jibes, Lin Fei did not exactly seem to dislike Sha Feng. The only examples of noble betrothal she had seen thus far were Xiulan and that girl who had attacked her over Huang Da. It seemed bizarre that Lin Fei was so content.
This seems a closer to typical betrothal for a noble. Part of the strategy includes them building up an early friendship, which in Xiulan's case was torpedoed by having a massive crush on Han Jian instead and Huang Da because he's a philanderer.

There might not be love, but there's friendship and thats sufficient enough.
I wonder if you could take Mother Moon + Guiding Moon path to open up a Matchmaker's Ceremony...just a wild idea.
Its a power too dangerous to put in SV's shippy hands.
"Getting off track, confront issues later, you have a good conversational flow going," Sixiang chided.

"Well, I wish you happiness," Ling Qi said, after only just missing a beat and swiftly changing the subject. "If I might ask another question, have I done something to offend Wu Jing?"

Sha Feng's eyes narrowed a little, but Lin Fei sent him a chiding look. "I do not believe so. Sir Luo and Sir Wu have an… eccentric relationship. Sir Luo seems to encourage his contrariness, even when it is mildly disrespectful. Please do not take offense."

"I do not," Ling Qi said reassuringly. "But I cannot help but feel that he has some personal dislike for me."
Okay, so Sha Feng doesn't like Wu Jing's path, but we have some confirmation that Luo is deliberately cultivating a devil's advocate.

This is a known political strategy to cultivate representatives of minority viewpoints so you can use them as a stick to unify or pull useful but counter-majority opinions in.
"He is simply sore regarding recent events," Sha Feng huffed. "The Wu family did better than the Li in the invasion, but they were still reduced to a bare remnant from the Counts they were. They now reject the ways of the Emerald Seas and cleave strongly to the Peaks. As if we cannot stand on our own..." Sha Feng said, growing more disgruntled by the word. It had the air of a previously spoken grievance.

"Sha Feng," Lin Fei said harshly, cutting him off.

My apologies," he said sheepishly. "Please do not give my rambling much merit."

Ling Qi nodded easily, but filed away his words for consideration. She supposed that there would be a faction even in the Cai's supporters that would be displeased by last years events. The Bai were still not friendly with the imperial throne. Ugh, things only got messier every time she looked closer.
So pro-imperial...implicity anti-Bai, which...yeah would stick out like a sore thumb in this gathering of traditionalists.
The thick plottens.
"I will try not to do so," Ling Qi said politely instead. "Well I suppose I will just have to try and convince him of Lady Cai's position."

Sha Feng laughed, but there was a touch of nervousness in it. "I am sure you can manage Miss Ling."
Sha Feng: [Chuckles] "I'm in danger."

"...Yes," Lin Fei agreed. "Ah, Miss Ling, are you going to suppress your qi then?"

"Right, my apologies," Ling Qi said. "It slipped my mind for a moment."

Ling Qi breathed in deeply and suppressed her qi, scattering it as she had while hiding in the clouds, for a moment she felt her outline waver. She had gotten much practice at home though, suppressing her power for the comfort of her household, and so rather than vanishing entirely, her power merely ebbed low at the very threshold of the third realm. It was still uncomfortable, but bearable after practice. She could hold this indefinitely barring sudden shocks.
Thats probably a little disturbing to watch from the outside.

These two at least weren't unpleasant to talk to Ling Qi mused as they continued toward the beasts territory, hashing out their plan. Ling Qi felt like she was was beginning to realize something. Meizhen used her mannerisms as a nigh invulnerable armor to deflect unwanted social advances, and for a time emulating her had been helpful but… it was not really her, and continuing to cling to that false face was only doing her harm.

She would have to figure out her own approach in the future, something that was more honest to herself.
And now that we learned the Wu don't like the Bai...explains much.
Sincerity truly is the best!
However, for now she had a lion to hunt. It did not take too long to work out their plan. They would separate and begin working their way through the beasts territory, harvesting plants and herbs, Ling Qi would take the central role so that she could easily react if either of them were attacked. Sha Feng and Lin Fei would also release their spirit beasts, a hawk and an owl respectively, to act as overwatch and messenger to the other groups as necessary.
Good for recon, small birds make fine spotters.
Fun language tidbits. An owl in Chinese is a Cat Headed Hawk. Meow.
The downside was that it was a pretty dull plan to enact. The fact that they had to separate meant that they couldn't chat much… and Ling Qi found that she didn't mind her companions company. By the time they separate and Ling Qi was idly collecting herbs, she was beginning to entertain the seed of idea. She would probably need Xiulan's help but… she did know a few important people, 'foreigners' mostly of course, but… maybe she could set up her own little gathering in the future? It would have to be a small thing, since she still disliked the crowding of Cai Renxiang's parties, but maybe it was time to give bringing her disparate social group together another try. She wasn't quite the same confused commoner she had been the last time she had made the effort.
Its a nice plan. Might cost AP commitment to set up though, the Math Cabal will riot.

And it'd take EXPERT ADVICE because...Meizhen has a high probability of attending on a semi-regular basis and that's a bit of a chilling effect for lower status people.
Its a good way to push against isolationism though.
While she mused on such thoughts, she kept her senses alert, keeping close track of the twin beacons that were her companions qi. They were well out of sight, but if she poured on the effort and dropped her suppression, she could be on either of them in seconds.

"You're such a mother hen sometimes," Sixiang laughed.
*Recalls Suyin*

Theres cause, TBH.

'There's nothing wrong with caution,' Ling Qi thought primly, reaching down to pluck a likely looking bunch of wild berries. She paused before her fingers could touch them though. She had felt something, a ripple in the wind and ambient qi, a well hidden spike of hostility and hunger. She vanished, leaving the berry bush swaying as air rushed in to fill the space where she had been crouched.

It did indeed, only take a few seconds for her to reach the clearing where Sha Feng had been gathering herbs. A snarling two meter long cat was upon him, with dull grey fur marked with darker spots and stripes. The beast had him pinned to the ground, and its jaws were locked around his forearm, fangs digging into the thick leather bracers worn under his armor, and into the flesh beneath. Similarly, the beasts claws claws scrabble at his chest, cutting through cloth and leather to cut lines of red in flesh. She had to restrain the reflexive urge to sing a single sharp note and blast the beast off of him.

Because his expression was one of excitement rather than distress as they struggled to wrestle his way out from beneath the great cat. Remembering her words, Ling Qi instead materialized in the branches of a tree above and breathed out, a ripple of vital qi spreading through the clearing with the beat of her heart. Sha Feng's skin shimmered with viridian light and suddenly the beasts claws no longer found purchase. She watched in some bemusement as the young man used the beasts moment of confusion to free his other arm and with a vortex of howling air gathering around his fist, punched the lion in the side of the head, in three rapid jabs.

The beast seemed hardly harmed, and yet for a moment, the grip of its jaws on his forearm loosened and Ling Qi felt the older boy take hold of the wind his outline briefly wavering as he slipped free and reformed a meter away, standing in a ready position, a saber in his left hand. The beast let out a low snarl as it rounded on him, but she could sense the beasts own attempts to discern the source of the shimmering viridian armor. It wasn't stupid. For a time she observed as the lion circled and the boy feinted and slashed, not letting himself get pinned again.
Cat: "Why is he suddenly so chewy?!"
Stealth buffer is best.
Then Ling Qi spotted the fluttering of wings in the sky overhead and grinned, allowing her hold on her qi to loosen. The Lion immediately began to turn toward her, ignoring the bellicose boy advancing on it with a saber… Only to yowl as arrow carved from pale green wood punched into its flank from the other side. Immediately the beast shimmered, the air around it shifting as light and wind bent. Ling Qi watched as he eyes showed it dart off to the south. Her other senses however, showed the trail of qi leading west.

The hunt that followed lasted a bit under half an hour as the pursuing nobles came out of the woodwork to chase down and box in the fleeing beast. It was not exactly what Ling Qi would call harrowing or challenging, but she somehow got caught up in it a bit, hopping through the canopy of the trees beside Alingge as they directed the others. Some part of her had been a bit worried about Sha Feng's wounds, but he seemed rather pleased with them all told, boasting to the others about his brief tussle and letting Lin Fei fuss grumpily over him.
No devotee of the Grinning Moon would find a little risk amiss I suppose.
At last, the lion fell, wounded and boxed in by disciples with spears and swords. She might have felt bad for it, but… Ling Qi was not that softhearted. It was a predatory spirit beast unbound and wild, the only reason it did not prey on humans regularly was geography. All in all the hunt itself seemed almost… anti-climactic.

Though she supposed that the hunting was always a sideshow, given the venue. Ling Qi watched a particularly brawny boy hoist the carcass onto his shoulders as the others chatted and laughed. Through the crowd, she met Luo Zhong's eyes and he smiled. The time for the real challenge had come. The victory celebration.

She still was not sure of the Luo scions intentions and that did bother her. She felt like she had been prodded and herded, and she absolutely had been put on the spot, but why?
Ling Qi...I think Luo just saw your appreciating those abs at work...expect more precisely targeted shipping efforts in future.

Lets get what we came here for. This is not the time or place to pry. Thats for a PRIVATE dialogue.

That awkward moment when you realize that your standards for perception arts might be a wee bit high because you're basing them off Ducals and that most people can't read in this much detail, or recognize the specific elements consistently
Well, I think it's also that most people wouldn't be able to tell which moon. They'd just see "moon". Ling Qi can differentiate because she's familiar with the differences between the moons.

Back