Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I feel like the second and third are more our strengths, and while there's nothing wrong with having something in common, I think stressing something that's more just her is better.

What do you all think?

I'm personally leaning more towards the curiosity and desire to explore option myself.

This discussion has been primarily about Hanyi and how she can be like Zeqing as well as being herself. The option regarding curiosity and exploration seems, to me, to be the one option that is radically different from Zeqing. Zeqing was primarily stuck on the mountain, being a spirit of the location rather than a spirit that can move and experience the world. Hanyi is radically different than that. Hanyi is free to move about the world without a location restricting her like her mother.

This theme of curiosity and exploration would be, I think, an excellent starting point to getting Hanyi comfortable with the fact that she isn't Zeqing. That for all the gifts and beauty her mother had, her mother could not truly explore. Internalizing Hanyi's own freedom through a song of her own creation would be a nice symbolic gesture to indicate how she is growing past her mother.

I'm leaning trickster, but will decide tomorrow after reading other peoples arguments.
Pride seems not really on brand at the moment, and while exploration seems good, i'd like to explore the playfull child side that Hanyi had, and who that child could grow to be without loosing that playfulness.

Also, i think trickster spirit hiding in a blizzard could be both very devastating, and cool (pun fully intended) ally to have.

[X] Her pride and confidence
I think this is the best part to focus on as she matures and will serve her well.

[X] Her curiosity and desire to explore

I am sure Zeqing would be especially proud of her daugther for proving that she could step forward and become more than what she herself was ever able to be, confined into the mountains like that. An explorer, curious Hanyi is a Hanyi that learns, that grows, that seeks more than she has. One that finds new opportunities and might be more willing to socialize to reach out to them. If she turns this into her primary strength, she will go far.

Pride seems more the idea of not wanting to lose, and wanting to look down on others, which can be also a motivation for growth, but it feels like it'd come with a couple of strings attached. She started bullying Yu Nuan (I think that was her name) due to pride, and this same pride had her reject constructive criticism and thinking the other girl was mocking her mother's song.

The girl told her "you're bad at this" (you need to improve) and "If you're just copying someone else, of course you're bad " (be original and creative, not a copycat)

A curious and ambitious Hanyi might have capitalized on those words and endeavored to improve her singing, make better songs, her own songs.

Proud hanyi instead got outraged over "How dare you insult my mother's song! You'll pay for this slight!" and got as frosty and salty about this whole thing as a sea salt ice cream.

Playfulness doesn't seem to come with any red flags attached, but... the trickster-trolling team of Six+Hanyi could end up being potentialy devastating for our sanity.

Back