Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] A quiet and melancholic piece (Defensive, Yin, Composure)

She needs to be more than a one note character. Plus, she screwed up: this whole duel thing was set up as her harassing someone to prove to herself that she is just as good as her sis, while she knows she isn't. Coming to terms with this is important. Plus I want to demonstrate her changing to her opponent, both for easier forgiveness but also because of the themes in the duel we played- bombastic will just point towards us being war mongers, as previously accused. Regret after unneeded conflict will show a lot more compatibility with the other girl's way.

[X] A beautiful and alluring piece (Control, Balanced, Manipulation)

Manipulation - is something that LQ really can help Hanui with. Her Manipulation is D, ours is B, we have a lot to teach her.

I'll admit, I am warming up to the Bombastic and overbearing piece. I was initially very hesitant about that option because it didn't feel right to me, but I think that was because I kept wanting Hanyi's style to match with Zeqing's style. And, quite frankly, that's not going to happen. They both have very different attitudes and demeanors.

To me, it seems that Hanyi wants to be noticed, wants to be taken seriously, and wants to simply take what she desires. She doesn't consider people outside of her family important and could care less for how they feel about doing something. This was demonstrated time and time again in the Scouting arc where she didn't want to, or even couldn't, understand why we were respecting our subordinates and taking their experience in consideration. If something is in her way, she wants it to move out of her way, or she will make it move.

She's stubborn, prideful, and wants to be paid attention to. For example, I believe that Zeqing would not care whether the people she was killing knew it was her killing them, but Hanyi, it feels to me, would want the people she is killing to know that it was her who was killing them.

However, while I am becoming more convinced that a bombastic overbearing piece could very well be in character for her, I'm not sure that such a piece is what we want coloring our discussion with her in the next chapter. Each of the songs could be powerful compositions, not because of their effects but because this is the first song she is composing herself. The piece that is chosen could have some significant impact on her character growth and how she sees her role in the world.

I am still in the middle of catching up on discussion, but I feel a need to say this now.

I am currently quite ashamed of Hanyi. She behaved badly. She behaved badly in front of our peer for a month without us realising, and she's forcing us to behave badly as well, or we'll look weak. And now we're going to reward her by spending time helping her with her composition and forcing our peer to apologise.

The general mood of the thread seems to be a very casual 'oh kids will be kids, how cute', but I don't understand that. Maybe it's because I live and was raised in an Asian country, but I am actually quite angry with Hanyi and ashamed of her right now. I hope we get Yu Nuan a damn near legendary spirit to make up for this, or if not a legendary spirit, then I hope we give her extra goodies to make up for how we've been forced to behave and how we're making her apologise here.

[X] A bombastic and overbearing piece (Damaging, Yang, Presence)

Last edited:
I am still in the middle of catching up on discussion, but I feel a need to say this now.

I am currently quite ashamed of Hanyi. She behaved badly. She behaved badly in front of our peer for a month without us realising, and she's forcing us to behave badly as well, or we'll look weak. And now we're going to reward her by spending time helping her with her composition and forcing our peer to apologise.

The general mood of the thread seems to be a very casual 'oh kids will be kids, how cute', but I don't understand that. Maybe it's because I live and was raised in an Asian country, but I am actually quite angry with Hanyi and ashamed of her right now. I hope we get Yu Nuan a damn near legendary spirit to make up for this, or if not a legendary spirit, then I hope we give her extra goodies to make up for how we've been forced to behave and how we're making her apologise here.
For me I do believe that Hanyi definitely did a bad here. But at the same time it's what I expected and I can't really be mad at her, especially since my belief on discipline is that it should be correction rather than punishment.

She's a child who hasn't learned how to process her emotions or really interface with the world yet and is thus acting without thought or care. She doesn't understand the world around her. She doesn't understand herself. She doesn't get why what she did was wrong.

I believe she will likely learn at least some of those things when we work with her to create her first song, and thus reach some level of resolution with herself.

[X] A bombastic and overbearing piece (Damaging, Yang, Presence)

I don't expect a win, though that would be great, but just having Hanyi grow up a bit will be fine.

For me I do believe that Hanyi definitely did a bad here. But at the same time it's what I expected and I can't really be mad at her, especially since my belief on discipline is that it should be correction rather than punishment.

She's a child who hasn't learned how to process her emotions or really interface with the world yet and is thus acting without thought or care. She doesn't understand the world around her. She doesn't understand herself. She doesn't get why what she did was wrong.

I believe she will likely learn at least some of those things when we work with her to create her first song, and thus reach some level of resolution with herself.
Yeah but neither the Balance/alluring option nor the Defensive/melancholy option are punishment. They'd be new experiences for her, which can help her grow. The bombastic option is just leaning more into who she is, she wouldn't grow as much from it as the other choices. She doesn't need more of her current personality traits, she needs growth.

Edit: Also the melancholy/defense option would not be wallowing in her grief, it would be processing her grief--there's a huge difference. She hasn't done anything to address it so far and while people say that we can always address her grief and her spiritual damage, we don't actually get story options focusing on Hanyi that often. Our schedule is too tightly packed and iicr, the last couple of times we had a chance to focus on Hanyi's story we passed it over for something else. We should take advantage of the opportunity now.
Another point is that, imo, the most likely composition to win would be the melancholy one because the grief would be real and powerful. The bombastic option however would be...well the defintion of bombastic is "high-sounding but with little meaning; inflated." I copied and pasted that from the dictionary. We want her composition to have...little meaning? Really?

Last edited:

I don't hate Hanyi or anything. But I'm still very angry that we have to behave badly to cover for her bad behaviour, and that we didn't notice her behaving badly and embarrassing us for an entire month. I hope we make Hanyi apologise to Yu Nuan after this. At this point, I don't even care how Hanyi develops or how the competition turns out, because I'm stuck on needing to make things right with Yu Nuan rather than trying to help Hanyi beat her in this annoying competition.

Hanyi is who she is, an inhuman spirit who is also a child. If she does something bad then it is Ling Qi's fault, the same way as if Xengui tramples someone then it was Ling Qi's fault for not teaching him to watch where he's walking.

Am I pleased with what she's done? Definitely not, and I hope LQ will correct her behavior if not her character. But there's no point in getting angry about it.

Back