Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Eventually decided that I'm about equally happy with any of these, so voting is kinda pointless. Can't wait regardless of how this turns out.

Well the RR version of this arc might end up interesting at least. Voted for the pull back option, but really that option killed this arc when it came to making it an interesting story.

With Bai Meizhen and spider senpai being handily in the rear I can vote for Gu Xiulan and Shen Hu.

[x] Fire and Water (Gu Xiulan and Shen Hu)

Well the RR version of this arc might end up interesting at least. Voted for the pull back option, but really that option killed this arc when it came to making it an interesting story.

Arc's not over yet. Assuming we 'Killed it' by not doing what literally everyone in our camp was telling us not to do seems premature.

Yrs is a very good author but you can see why people would take a note that essentially goes "Wait what." and then time out for an interlude as a bad sign, surely. Also should we be insulted that Yrs thinks we can't follow basic instructions he spent a whole update emphasizing?

[X] The Snake and the Spider(Bai Meizhen and Bao Qingling)

Yrs is a very good author but you can see why people would take a note that essentially goes "Wait what." and then time out for an interlude as a bad sign, surely. Also should we be insulted that Yrs thinks we can't follow basic instructions he spent a whole update emphasizing?
I really don't understand this idea. Is it such a bad thing for an author to put in interlude? I mean this does feel like a natural spot for an interlude. First part of the mission is almost done so lets see how everyone else is doing. His note doesn't really mean anything beyond the very typical gripe that GM's have when parties don't go down the quest hole. It doesn't mean that he has no plan. It just means that he has had to change plans unexpectedly. I really don't see that as problematic in any way for us the readers or for the story.

It just means it's time to pull out the funny/horrifying/interesting/awe inspiring ideas out of presumably a gigantic magic hat of ideas!

Curiosity is fine, taking risks is how someone grows. But not at a job that has humans' lives dependent on it.
I agree, but it's a bit of an "if not now, when?" situation, given the context of our safety line/supervisor. Taking the exercise seriously is a good thing, but if we didn't have a supervisor on hand to make sure things go alright, I think we'd have been more tempted to learn more of what the barbarians were up to. That is, the relative safety of the scenario means there's less pressure to pursue maximum success. Our ambition is artificially depressed by our training wheels.

Impossible to say how the vote would have turned out, of course. It's a fun contradiction though.

Last edited:
Well, that's the point of the exercise. A proper army can't be filled with glory seekers, but rather role players. Same goes for a functional empire, really, Senior Brother Abs has a similar role here as the high talent scouters: making sure that people don't strike out on their own and ruin things for everyone else.

[X] Needle and Thread (Li Suyin and ???)

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Killer_Whale on Jul 10, 2019 at 11:45 PM, finished with 183 posts and 116 votes.

Despite what anyone might say, I am enjoying the current Arc so far. It is nice to see Ling Qi interact with more 'normals', and seeing a little of how the world works or how things are done. I don't find any of this particularly boring. So good job, Yrsillar.
That we managed to surprise you with our vote against taking extreme risks without pressing need after being warned several times very directly is in turn a surprise to me, but I doubt this is any kind of problem. Surprise happens and I guess you wouldn't write a quest if you wanted to strictly follow your own ideas. So taking a kind of time-out and remaking plans is perfectly fine and what any good quest master should do.

Similarly, I disagree with some of the concerns that have been brought up by people here about missed opportunities or Ling Qi not showing enough curiosity. Or, at the extreme end, that we might get reprimanded for cowardly behaviour or not taking risks. Taking opportunities, and even risks, is necessary for Cultivators and picking the right ones is a valuable skill. Even in retrospect, no information we had, and have, hints at any worthwhile gains without risking too much.

Overall, I think the story would be cheaper if Ling Qi grabbed each and every opportunity that she came across and followed it without regard for risks and dangers and having it always work out for her in the end. There are many terms for that kind of plot, and I am glad that this story is not going that route. Ling Qi does outrageous things and takes huge risks but not all the time and not without consideration or sometimes just *not* jumping head first into danger. I like that. She seems smart.

(I also liked her early 'cowardly street rat' attitude. Although I am not unhappy about the confidence she found, either.)

Back