Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Seeing when the skills activate makes them seem more useful to me because I'm seeing them be used in story. This makes them feel less like a useless stat from the char sheet that I don't check regularly compared to seeing the skills in the story which I'm garunteed to read.

If you're worried about it interupting the flow of the text or intruding on people who aren't complaining maybe put it in invisitext.

Unless you have a reason not to train us to always check for invisitext. :p

Invisitext sucks for phones though :(.

I don't see any gain from following as being likely to outweigh the risk of being caught.

Also, yay! Stealth for the win :)

Last edited:
Liked the skill prompts; I'm always in favor of things that blend story and mechanics together.

If it was just the one guy on our level I'd say go for it. Three, two of whom are noticeably stronger than us? We should probably bail. Not getting their exact location sucks, but I don't feel great about avoiding sentries when the scouts nearly caught us.

[] One close call was enough, she would just report the activity.
A peer and two superiors are a bit much. And it'd be leaving Imperial territory. Besides, if they detect us again, I wouldn't be surprised if their response was to just AOE bomb the area.

Plus advice against seeking glory, etc

Yeah following a barbarian scouting party that almost caught LQ once already is a terrible idea. It's time to fall back.

Seeing when the skills activate makes them seem more useful to me because I'm seeing them be used in story. This makes them feel less like a useless stat from the char sheet that I don't check regularly compared to seeing the skills in the story which I'm garunteed to read.
congratulations to this man named bob, for I have chosen your words to echo my opinion! But yeah, in-story blips do wonders to explain what's being used even for people who aren't that good with the stats.
That was close and I'm not inclined to try Ling Qi's luck in terms of 3v1ing Cloud Tribe cultivators.​

[] She wanted to follow them anyway, she had come too far.

Really tempted to vote for this. It isn't the smart option, but it's the one that I think make a more interesting story to read. Plus it might actually give us something useful other than "a few moderately powerful cloud tribe members are sniffing around the border". Is it just a few scouts or is there actually more to this? We know out of character there probably is but honestly exchanging a few scouts is probably pretty routine for this border.

There will be someone with better eyes where they're headed if this isn't nothing.

I like the scene bonus callouts

Last edited:
[X] One close call was enough, she would just report the activity.

Not interested in gambling against bad odds. Two of them are stronger than us and we already got detected once.

Last edited:
Even if we did follow them, and discover a super secret war council....

Ling Qi doesn't speak barbarian, and couldn't understand what they're saying
It's not about hoping to listen in on super secret meetings. It's about getting some sort of useful estimate of numbers. "Oh there are 3 green scouts on the mountain" is somewhat useful, yes but at the end of the day this is the border, and whilst greens are never going to be super common the empire still sends a tonne of them to the border each year and tha barbarians aren't exactly losing ground against that. Especially since we know they have Khan's who can give Elder Zhou a hard time. A few mid green equivilent barbarian scouts crossing the border may not actually be all that uncommon a thing in the mountains.

The bigger question is if they're bringing a greater concentration of people behind them, or if there is more than just a simple scouting force.

Plus I just think it would make a much more satisfying narrative arc with Ling Qi taking the risk to get more actionable information than Ling Qi seeing a few reasonably powerful barbarians and then retreating.

Last edited:
Except "losing for fun" isn't how any sane world works.

And that's the most likely outcome here.

Know our limits. Which are already being stretched here.

Yeah, we have an army worth of reinforcement for a reason. Ling Qi did her part of the job, so now it is best to make sure she can get away undetected.

Also, I think it is good to see when the bonuses are used.

Back