Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I didn't like the AM Insight, but hot damn do I want an Advanced Insight built from that and the TRF one that's not a Kelly Clarkson song.

Edit: guess I should vote

[X][SCS] There is no peace in emptiness, no content in stillness. Stagnation is death; act, change, move, think, and grow until the very end.
[X][TRF] Branches and trunks bend and sway, but the roots must remain unyielding. Retreat only so far and then no more.
[><][CDE] Floating orbs are cool bro.

Adhoc vote count started by OneArmedYeti on Jun 23, 2019 at 7:32 PM, finished with 166 posts and 58 votes.

Last edited:
[X][SCS] There is no peace in emptiness, no content in stillness. Stagnation is death; act, change, move, think, and grow until the very end.
[X][TRF] Branches and trunks bend and sway, but the roots must remain unyielding. Retreat only so far and then no more.
[X][CDE] Do not slot Curious Diviners Eye

Adhoc vote count started by Kaja Rainbow on Jun 23, 2019 at 7:33 PM, finished with 167 posts and 59 votes.

It means having lines in the sand- it means knowing that the Weilu massacres were wrong, and refusing to be complicit. It means a refusal to let our natural tendency to unperson people remove all guilt and responsiblity we feel for killing people.
I agree with your general thesis, but strongly disagree with your examples. It means having lines in the sand, yes, but those lines in the sand are what Ling Qi thinks are important, not what a generic 21-century reader of ToD thinks is important. Ling Qi's lines in the sand given her current character progression is likely to be something like "never abandon a friend in need", not either of the things you cited.

[X][SCS] Darkness knows no barriers, and neither should your desires
[X][SCS] Do not slot Sable Crescent Step

Sable Crescent Step Insights

[][SCS] There is no peace in emptiness, no content in stillness. Stagnation is death; act, change, move, think, and grow until the very end.
[][SCS] Darkness knows no barriers, and neither should your desires
[][SCS] Do not slot Sable Crescent Step

Thousand Ring Fortress Insights

[][TRF] Each scar is merely another ring in the making, from past pain arises new strength
[][TRF] Branches and trunks bend and sway, but the roots must remain unyielding. Retreat only so far and then no more.
[][TRF] Do not slot Thousand Ring Fortress

Curious Diviners Eye Insights
[][CDE] Ignorance is no better than blindness.
[][CDE] Be always watchful. Foes and treasures alike may hide in the gaps in one's perceptions.
[][CDE] Do not slot Curious Diviners Eye
Wow, i'm impressed. I like none of the insights. Everything is dripping of unwanted side effects.
SCS1 is please make Ling Qi even more hyperactive.
SCS2 is that friend that's always arguing to get everything his way.
TRF1 is literally asking us to fail so we can use it as strength boost
TRF2 is unyielding. At which point that happens is irrelevant, unyielding is everything we don't like in TRF.
CDE1 arguably the same as SCS2, that friend that just never leaves you alone whenever he smells something "interesting"
CDE2 is paranoia plain and simple
And most importantly none of these link to the Home domain/way/concept we're trying to build for Ling Qi;

[x][SCS] Do not slot Sable Crescent Step
[x][TRF] Do not slot Thousand Ring Fortress
[x][CDE] Do not slot Curious Diviners Eye
Adhoc vote count started by Ayashi on Jun 23, 2019 at 7:36 PM, finished with 172 posts and 64 votes.

[X][CDE] Ignorance is no better than blindness.

Sable Crescent Step Insights

Thousand Ring Fortress Insights

Curious Diviners Eye Insights
[X][CDE] Be always watchful. Foes and treasures alike may hide in the gaps in one's perceptions.

Sure but that's just repeating the same erroneous AM arguments of how we need that to know ourselves and how we couldn't possibly do that without slotting AM. We should not need to internalise the principle of "suffering builds character" as part of our fundamental life philosophy in order to learn from our mistakes.

I wasn't around for the AM arguments so I wouldn't really know about that tbh

Incidentally, is 'suffering builds character' not literally what tribulations for advanced insights are? :V

tosses teenager into a hell-blizzard

[X][CDE] Be always watchful. Foes and treasures alike may hide in the gaps in one's perceptions.

[X][TRF] Each scar is merely another ring in the making, from past pain arises new strength

In which I change my mind on all but one part

[X][TRF] Each scar is merely another ring in the making, from past pain arises new strength

Adhoc vote count started by kinigget on Jun 23, 2019 at 7:46 PM, finished with 177 posts and 68 votes.

I wasn't around for the AM arguments so I wouldn't really know about that tbh

Incidentally, is 'suffering builds character' not literally what tribulations for advanced insights are? :V

tosses teenager into a hell-blizzard
So you're saying that slotting the insight is completely unnecessary, since we were demonstrably capable of benefiting from tribulation?~~

Edit: added tildes

Last edited:
[][SCS] Darkness knows no barriers, and neither should your desires

I think this is an important insight for Ling Qi, especially as she moves forward with her life as a Cai Vassal. It brings to mind the advice she's been given.

Advice (in a general sense) that cultivators need to find something to tether themselves to, something to make their cultivation mean something, lest they become some hermit cultivating in a cave for a hundred years.

Advice (in a specific sense) that investing too much of herself as Renxiang's right hand is the wrong path to take. That she again needs to find her own path, her own desire, to drive her onward.

All that being said, this insight would be a great tool in developing these pieces of advice into her path. Cultivating her own desires (path) despite what others may say or want. Not in a necessarily selfish way, but more in a liberating way. As in, she deserves to strive for what she wants, freedom, a home, etc. no matter the barriers.

Still unsure about TRF and CDE.

Last edited:
TRF2 is unyielding. At which point that happens is irrelevant, unyielding is everything we don't like in TRF.

[][TRF] Branches and trunks bend and sway...Retreat ...
Adhoc vote count started by OneArmedYeti on Jun 23, 2019 at 11:00 PM, finished with 222 posts and 95 votes.

Adhoc vote count started by OneArmedYeti on Jun 24, 2019 at 6:08 PM, finished with 310 posts and 134 votes.

Eh, well, at least I had fun with my effortposts even if they're not having an impact on the mass of the voting populace.

[x][SCS] There is no peace in emptiness, no content in stillness. Stagnation is death; act, change, move, think, and grow until the very end.
[x][TRF] Branches and trunks bend and sway, but the roots must remain unyielding. Retreat only so far and then no more.
[x][CDE] Do not slot Curious Diviners Eye

Last edited:
A dumb post because @Raron is being a meanie who poked me about the insights
[][TRF] Each scar is merely another ring in the making, from past pain arises new strength
[][TRF] Branches and trunks bend and sway, but the roots must remain unyielding. Retreat only so far and then no more.
It feels to me that a lot of the thoughts and arguments about this are coming from a direction that is a bit off to my own understanding of Ling Qi.

Ling Qi... decided to not bend when it came to backing up Meizhen, or when it came to helping Xiulan, and so on... because she hated how she was before the sect. There has been consistent, constant character arcs about Ling Qi thinking about her past self and going "I dislike how I was, and I need to change". Then, she changed into being someone who decided to bend so far, and no further about specific things.

So, this TRF vote seems basically to be: do you think it's more core to Ling Qi to decide to change herself and learn from her mistake, or do you think one of her 'answer' to her dislike of her past self is what's more core to Ling Qi.

I do like that one answer she has come to, but it's not the only thing she has changed about, and I think Ling Qi deciding to change because of trauma and disliking previous decisions she made is a much more interesting and much more core part of her.

As for the others:

Because the way it's worded is beautiful, and it makes me think of dancing.

Like, I'm fine with not slotting anything here too, but potential character flaws are a feature not a bug.

Every domain insight should have that problem. Heck, Renxiang believes that one of Shenhua's goals with her was to have someone to be able to think outside Shenhua's box to some degree.
This a thousand times. Domains are about choices, not about 'Grab everything'. We shouldn't be getting TRF2 choice if we get SES complete later (or TRF1), because Ling Qi would have changed.

Last edited:
Like, I'm fine with not slotting anything here too, but potential character flaws are a feature not a bug.

Every domain insight should have that problem. Heck, Renxiang believes that one of Shenhua's goals with her was to have someone to be able to think outside Shenhua's box to some degree.

I like both winning votes side effects.

SCS will probably make us handle our Japanese Honor Student study habits even better.

As far as TRF goes, the Changing Lady ship sailed the second we slotted AM. We need a core.
Adhoc vote count started by OneArmedYeti on Jun 23, 2019 at 8:13 PM, finished with 191 posts and 75 votes.

Back