Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Wait. If Zhengui is the size of a large boulder/small hill/mountain, and he has irregularities on his shell like spikes/trees, does that mean that Hanyi can hide behind those things? Would that use Zhengui's stealth or Hanyi's stealth? If we somehow train Zhengui's stealth to be obscenely high, can we literally hide an army on his shell?

No. When you hide in a forest, you use your stealth, not forest's. Same here.

How would you know? Have you ever checked the stealth stat of a tree? If I hid behind a ninja tree, would anybody know?

How would you find a ninja tree to hide behind in the first place? They'd be basically invisible. Which means you'd stand out even more.

Clearly, the best trees to hide behind are the ones terrible at stealth. That way, they'll be nice and obvious and distract whoever is looking for you.

How would you find a ninja tree to hide behind in the first place? They'd be basically invisible. Which means you'd stand out even more.

That's not a ninja tree, that's an invisible tree. Not all invisible things are ninjas, and not all ninjas are invisible, that's just what the ninjas that infiltrated Hollywood want you to think ninjas are like. And clearly you can pay for a ninja tree to hide you, that's how they make their living. They're ninjas, not thieves, which means that they have actual jobs.

Speaking of which, clearly there must be situations where a high-stealth character can use their stealth to hide low-stealth characters. If a mountain can have a higher stealth score than a little girl, then that mountain should be allowed to hide the girl.

I mean, if Zengui is hiding himself then the people on top of Zenghui should also be hidden. Like hiding a cave entrance also hiding things inside the cave.

Edit: We absolutely need Best!Turtle to max out his War skill, for maximum Creeeeed! moments.

Last edited:
Well, I'm getting to the point where I feel compelled to spend my omake points, or hold on to them forever and ever. So, I'm going to spend them.

@yrsillar

I would like to turn my 12 omake points into 12 skill points.
  • 3 points into Sable Grace
  • 3 points into Dance
  • 3 point into Academics
  • 2 points into Speech
  • 1 point into Government
This should help rank up some of the areas of focus that we have this month (specifically Academics, Speech, and Government) while also helping us speed up on some skills that I consider fairly key to Ling Qi's continued success (specifically Sable Grace and Dance).

Hopefully this is ok, but if not just tell me @yrsillar.

Well, I'm getting to the point where I feel compelled to spend my omake points, or hold on to them forever and ever. So, I'm going to spend them.

@yrsillar

I would like to turn my 12 omake points into 12 skill points.
  • 3 points into Sable Grace
  • 3 points into Dance
  • 3 point into Academics
  • 2 points into Speech
  • 1 point into Government
This should help rank up some of the areas of focus that we have this month (specifically Academics, Speech, and Government) while also helping us speed up on some skills that I consider fairly key to Ling Qi's continued success (specifically Sable Grace and Dance).

Hopefully this is ok, but if not just tell me @yrsillar.
Thats fine, I'll add this in a bit any rank ups won't take effect until an in story skill gain point tho

Well, odds are that if Zhengui wakes up this turn, Xuan Shi's temple vote will beat most other social actions. We finished Zeqing's social line, but Yrs might toss up a Hanyi social action into a vote which will pretty much automatically win. We get two social actions a turn, which means that a Lingmom action might win if only one or less high popularity options show up.

Turn 4
"Well, you've had quite an ordeal haven't you," Xin said with a sigh, withdrawing her faintly glowing hand from Ling Qi's forehead. "The entropic qi still left in your channels is assimilating nicely."

Ling Qi wasn't entirely sure what 'entropic' was, though it seemed to resonate oddly in her ears. Given context it was some form of toxic qi, she was just glad for the examination to be over. Xin stood over Ling Qi, who sat upon a treatment table in one of the medicine hall's many room. Xin wore the same oddly patterned red and blue gown she had been been wearing when they met long ago in Elder Zhou's test. The spirit's silver hair hung loose at her shoulders this time though giving a slight impression of dishevelment.

Ling Qi nodded shallowly, glancing down at Hanyi, who had fallen asleep half lying across her lap. She supposed that given everything she couldn't blame the girl. It made her wonder just how many human-like quirks the young spirit might have though. "I hope I didn't cause the Sect too much trouble," Ling Qi said in a small voice.

It was only after she had descended that she had seen the effects of her tribulation on the surroundings. The mountain was buried in snow, and even with the storm dying down, trees had been torn from the earth by howling winds, and things were in general a bit of a mess. She had not missed the vein pulsing in Elder Jiao's temple when he had appeared to whisk her and Hanyi off to the medicine hall.

"We had expected something of the sort to be occurring soon," Xin replied soothingly, glancing down at the tablet of jade in her hands. The recording device vanished with a flick of her wrist. "Elder Ying made preparations, so the damage was limited to the mountain."

Ling Qi let out a sigh of relief, she had worried that she might have endangered the mortals in the town at the base of the mountain and by extension her mother. "Will the Outer Sect be…?"

"We are treating it as a bit of an impromptu trial, and have rewarded a few disciples for their decisive actions during the storm," Xin replied with a thread of amusement, turning to pace away..

Ling Qi felt her fists clench, her knuckles growing white. "...How can you be cheerful, wasn't Zeqing your friend too?"

Silence answered her, and Ling Qi swallowed faintly as she raised her eyes. She really needed to stop forgetting herself in front of Elders and powerful spirits.

Xin's expression was not angry though, there was only a touch of sorrow in her red eyes."This was the best path available for my friend, why should I not be cheerful?" She asked, crossing her arms under chest as she met Ling Qi's gaze challengingly.

"I'm sorry. I just, you can read the future right? I've been studying some divination, so I know that's the new moon's purview, and…" Ling Qi hunched her shoulders. "Was there really no better way to do this?"

Xin sighed, leaning back against one of the cupboards full of medicinal supplies that lined the room. "There is divination, and there is divination Ling Qi. Clairvoyance and its related disciplines are both the simplest and most reliable. Object reading and postcognition are relatively simple as well, given a reasonable proximity to the present. Future sight or even prediction is not so easy, nor so simple."

Ling Qi nodded, taking the gentle rebuke for what it was. "...But you did say this was the best outcome."

Xin cracked a wan smile. "Peering into the future stretches a human compatible mind to it's limits. It's true enough that battle precognition can be reliable, presuming the enemy does not counter or obfuscate your sight. Peering forward a second or two into your immediate surroundings involves a mere few million relevant factors after all. I might manage as much as a minute, barring interference. Beyond that however… well that is the realm of my greater self. For those of us in the material realm, we must be content with clearsightedly seeking our objectives."

"There wasn't any way for Zeqing and Hanyi to continue the way they had forever, then," Ling Qi replied, brushing her fingers through Hanyi's hair.

"Yes," Xin replied sadly. "Your appearance is what gave me the opportunity to help my friend, it worked as well as could be expected, for everyone involved."

Ling Qi wondered if she should feel resentful at the manipulation, but quickly dismissed the notion. That Xin could more clearly see the outcomes of her actions did not change their character.

"If it makes you feel any better, predicting the future is just a matter of gambling with the odds visible, as I understand," Sixiang murmured.

"As my niece said. Though a wise diviner knows how to weight the die, as it were," she said with a slight smile. "But in the end the world is not a Xianqqi board. The pieces move themselves and there are no players. No diviner can have full certainty in their predictions, and the belief that one can has lead many to ruin..."

……

………

Ling Qi had thought of those words many times in the days that followed. The implications of divination were not something she had thought deeply on before, but with her plans to cultivate the Curious Diviner's Eye, it seemed relevant.

She had found herself thinking about these kind of things much more often of late, hadn't she?

"Big Sister, that scary girl is still following us, are you sure we shouldn't try to get rid of her?" Hanyi asked in her head.

"I gotta agree with the squirt," Sixiang added. "...Uh, if we mean losing her anyway. I don't think we wanna pick that fight yet."

Ling Qi grimaced, ever since she had departed Elder Heng's lessons, Sun Liling had been trailing along at the edges of her senses. The hostility and bloodlust leaking from the girl was just enough to put her on edge and keep her there. Something she couldn't help but feel the girl was doing on purpose. It confused her though, they had not interacted since the tournament. She had barely seen hide nor hair of the girl in months, so why start stalking her now?

Ling Qi strongly considered taking her spirit's advice and simple flying off the path and vanishing from the Sect's beaten paths. However, something in her rebelled at that. She had every right to walk the Sect's paths. She could go and visit her friends without having to duck and hide and skulk.

With that thought in mind, Ling Qi turned on her heel, and put on a perfectly polite smile as she began to walk toward the place she could feel the other girl lurking. For a moment, the faint feeling of Sun Liling's qi wavered, but it rapidly stilled. The other girl would hardly give the impression of running away, would she?

Very soon, she turned down the mountain path, and brought the other girl into sight. Sun Liling sat cross legged atop one of the trail markers, looking out over the sheer cliff below, looking for all the world like she wasn't paying any attention at all.

"Princess Sun," Ling Qi greeted nicely, coming to a stop a polite distance away. "I couldn't help but notice that you seemed to be seeking me, can I help you with something?"

Sun Liling looked at her without bothering to turn her head, but only briefly. "Hmm, paranoia's not a good look you know. No reason to get worked up about someone walkin the same direction as you. I was just lookin for a good meditation spot."

Ling Qi scowled internally, but there was no point in arguing with the other girl.

"How come, she's obviously lying." Hanyi said guilelessly in her thoughts. "Does she think you're dumb? Big Sister should beat her up."

Ling Qi sent a silent thanks to Sixiang as the spirit pulled hanyi deeper into her dantian to explain. "Well my apologies then," she replied sweetly. "If I might be so a little rude princess, you might wish to talk to someone about your troubles, if they've affected your restraint so badly."

Sun Liling shot her a withering look. "Well thanks much," she said in a voice as dry as a desert. "Let me give ya a little advice in return little doggie. Your mistress is gonna have some real trouble in the future. You both made some real bad choices last year."

"Is that so," Ling Qi replied blandly. "I'm sorry princess Sun, I must be misunderstanding, because that almost sounded like a threat."

"Your forgiven," the redhead replied with a smirk. "Just informing ya, opening borders with the Bai… it's just asking for trouble you know? They're pretty bad at policing their domain. It just hurts my poor heart to think of those emerald seas folks living near the border."

Ling Qi narrowed her eyes. "Are you certain you weren't seeking me out, Princess Sun? That seems oddly specific."

"Hm, maybe I was? Well you know how it is, little stuff can slip the mind," she shrugged. "Go ahead and run along then."

Ling Qi restrained the urge to grind her teeth at the flippant dismissal, but instead simply turned away. If Sun Liling had so openly stated something then the information wasn't valuable. She supposed it wasn't exactly a secret that the Sun family would not be taking their humiliation lying down.

Aside from informing Cai Renxiang, there was nothing to do about it for the moment. While things remained peaceful, she could only keep pursuing her goals.

AN: Alright let's get turn 4 started to begin with, we'll just be choosing the order in which certain 'locked' events proceed in. They will both happen, but the order may cause some changes in how events proceed

[] The time has come for you to fulfill your promise to Bai Meizhen, and begin 'tutoring' her cousin Bai Xiao Fen. Though you will mostly be acting to gather intelligence on the Outer Sect, you will also be legitimately be tutoring her, and hopefully learning more of the Bai than your reticent friend will say.

[] While you have provided for them, and you visit from time to time, you cannot help but feel that you have neglected your family. Your mother in particular deserves to be respected enough to know more of the goings on your life. You need to take a day and really talk to her.

Last edited:
[X] While you have provided for them, and you visit from time to time, you cannot help but feel that you have neglected your family. Your mother in particular deserves to be respected enough to know more of the goings on your life. You need to take a day and really talk to her.

A pretty easy choice

[X] While you have provided for them, and you visit from time to time, you cannot help but feel that you have neglected your family. Your mother in particular deserves to be respected enough to know more of the goings on your life. You need to take a day and really talk to her.

If no moratorium, then hella this, are you kidding me? Not only can we finally stop neglecting our mortal family and new staff, Qi finally gets her head out of her ass and actually lets Qingge into her life a little bit more!

[X] The time has come for you to fulfill your promise to Bai Meizhen, and begin 'tutoring' her cousin Bai Xiao Fen. Though you will mostly be acting to gather intelligence on the Outer Sect, you will also be legitimately be tutoring her, and hopefully learning more of the Bai than your reticent friend will say.

Been too long, and we've kept way too much back.

We already had a meeting with our best mom, and said goodbye to second best mom. No need to rush to third mom :)

[X] The time has come for you to fulfill your promise to Bai Meizhen, and begin 'tutoring' her cousin Bai Xiao Fen. Though you will mostly be acting to gather intelligence on the Outer Sect, you will also be legitimately be tutoring her, and hopefully learning more of the Bai than your reticent friend will say.

It's a graceful narrative flow from what we just did methinks.

Gotta check in on all of our moms!

Sun Liling shot her a withering look. "Well thanks much," she said in a voice as dry as a desert. "Let me give ya a little advice in return little doggie. Your mistress is gonna have some real trouble in the future. You both made some real bad choices last year."

Tsk tsk.

All these flavors and you've chosen salt.

We can always tutor later, it may even be beneficial to start tutoring next month.

Oh god politics.

... Good thing we're training that this turn!

Interesting though. The simple read is that Sun's just being smug at Cai out of schadenfreude. Another possibility though is that this is a subtle overture?

~~
Inclined to go for mother I think. It follows on naturally from what we just did.

Back