Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I think the larger issue than the exact value of the passives is that the passives of many arts are so spread out that they lose narrative weight. Compare these two arts:

+10 to Resist
+10 to Spiritual Armor

This is a golden child of passives. Two categories that aren't conditional and provide a significant bonus, and both are clearly part of the Art's Domain. They just add into Derived Attributes quietly and do their thing with zero overhead. Such a wonderfully efficient set of passives mechanically. Compare to:

+10 bonus to all Perception vs. Illusions
+5 bonus to all Perception
+3 bonus to Composure, Resolve, and Resist
+5 bonus to Survival, Investigation, and Empathy
+10 bonus to Spiritual Avoid
-Allows the user to determine the Derived Attributes of a target, depending on Perception, to determine a living things primary elemental alignments, spirit binding connections and overall level of qi with sufficient Perception.

First, there's a conditional bonus to perception alongside a nonconditional bonus. In my opinion if the art wants to be about illusion perception, it should offer a large bonus to actually make that visibly different, and if it's not it should just be normal perception. Those two bonuses should be either "+30 to all Perception vs. Illusions" or "+7 to all Perception". The former would be more thematic and make the art more useful as a sideboard.

Second there are small bonuses to an array of many Attributes and skills and even a Derived Attribute. Passive bonuses to Attributes are especially problematic in this system because of how Derived Attributes work (meaning you get a weird situation where the bonus doesn't give the whole usual attribute effect very often, which is misleading), and I think they should probably be abolished and just target DAs instead. Small bonuses to skills are better assuming something ever happens where being in between ranks of a skill matters. But there are so many little unfocused and different valued bonuses here anyways, imagine if it was:

+10 to Resist
+15 to Empathy

These are much clearer effects. Empathy in particular is the skill of those three which I think is the closest to what AM is actually about. So look now at the new more focused passives an Art like AM 5 might have:

+30 bonus to all Perception vs. Illusions
+10 to Resist
+15 to Empathy
+10 bonus to Spiritual Avoid
-Allows the user to determine the Derived Attributes of a target, depending on Perception, to determine a living things primary elemental alignments, spirit binding connections and overall level of qi with sufficient Perception.

Doesn't that look so much nicer? Doesn't it evoke what AM is about so much more clearly, and result in so much less cruft? It even gives a sense of times when you might want to equip AM back on despite it being a depreciated Art in the future, when you need its Empathy or are afraid of Illusions, and it gives bonuses that are big enough to matter. And it doesn't have any weird mechanic bonuses to Attributes either.

Alright, locking up. Looks like Suyin won.

Someone turn on the Darkest Dungeon music

Meanwhile, in Bai Meizhen's residence.

"I'm glad I was able to give Qi some advice over her first real bottleneck. To think she would reach it only now.

Ah well, she should be working through that herself for a touch longer, so at least I can seclude myself in peace without worrying about her going down into a den of Gnawing Ones or anything.

Weird that I thought of that as an example..."

Well, if we got into trouble and Ling Qi got injured throwing herself in front of Suyin it would probably actually be good for her.

Unfortunately we have Deepwood so that's not happening :(

So, @yrsillar since we're arguing about this on discord for the umpteenth time, where does Xuan Shi sit in terms of status? Is he from whatever the Xuan version of the main family is, to make him equivalent to Meizhen?

How much iss he out of our league? How good would we have to be to be in his league? e.g. would Cyan at 20 and Renxiang's right hand be enough, or would we need to be better than that?

So, @yrsillar since we're arguing about this on discord for the umpteenth time, where does Xuan Shi sit in terms of status? Is he from whatever the Xuan version of the main family is, to make him equivalent to Meizhen?

How much iss he out of our league? How good would we have to be to be in his league? e.g. would Cyan at 20 and Renxiang's right hand be enough, or would we need to be better than that?

too bad he has no abs on display. This is why he will always stay friendzone material

@yrsillar actually, Might as well ask (just in case you haven't already started writing, which is unlikely)....Could we invite Shen Hu to come with? Would that be poor form? I just kinda like the idea of having him come along in all the exploration type actions (and causing the chapter to fail the bechdel test would be fun)

@yrsillar actually, Might as well ask (just in case you haven't already started writing, which is unlikely)....Could we invite Shen Hu to come with? Would that be poor form? I just kinda like the idea of having him come along in all the exploration type actions (and causing the chapter to fail the bechdel test would be fun)

I think we should try to avoid the temptation to bring "Shen Hu, oh and Renxiang's group buffs would be useful, and if we need a solid front liner there's no better choice than Meizhen, oh and in case someone gets injured Xuan Shi can stasis and forcefield them..."

This is a SL action, I'm sure eventually he'll have us vote together a raid party, but this ain't it.

Last edited:

uh, this is Li Suyins secret component to her craft that we are hunting. it might not be such a great idea to bring an outsider (from her pov) into it?

I posted this on the last thread while defending the one true Ship based on Shipping Rights, I can see not enough people saw it.

ARE THESE ABS NOT WELL ENOUGH DEFINED FOR YOU

Ling Qi was obviously not distracted by him, so he fails the abs-check

He just isn't shirtless enough. We need to bring this flaw to his attention when we do the temple exploration action.

His shirt may get caught by things in the temple, which could cause issue. Its best that as someone who isn't a stealth expert he be encumbered only by a loin cloth.

He just isn't shirtless enough. We need to bring this flaw to his attention when we do the temple exploration action.

Ling Dere!Negaverse:"Oh no tehe, I think I overdid it on the mists, I got your robes so damp. We can dry them off by the fire"

Xuan Shi: "[Cryptic]It's fine, we're sailors, a formation to keep cloth dry for sails and clothes is literally one of the first thing we learn. Why are you glaring at my pen[/cryptic]?"

Last edited:
this attitude is why his flirts dont succeed. He gotta show off to impress the girls. (and choose a girl that is actually attracted to guys)

Are you telling me that the best way to seduce an asexual isn't to hide an encrypted love note and Ode to the Beauty of the Textile Arts inside the inscriptions of your final project for the year?

I mean, how else was he supposed to tell her?

Back